• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

I hate how it ended on such an obvious cliffhanger. I mean Mumm-Ra gets one of the stones and Lion-o gets NTR'd and they just decide to cancel it then and there. Same reason I got pissed at Young Justice, but not Green Lantern as I felt GL told a complete story.

Yeah to be honest, as bad as Thundercats ended up being, I would have liked it if it had another season just to complete the storyline. I would have rather it been a bad thing that had a complete story with a respectable ending (given its legacy) than a bad thing with a cliffhanger because then what was the point of the whole thing? I dunno sometimes I have a completest streak :/

Green Lantern had a decent "ending" but they were clearly setting seeds down for a Darkest Night arc. A shame the movie bombed so bad that it tainted all Green Lantern media :( Young Justice's ending was such a cock tease because there was a CLEAR hook for next season and
Wally's Death seemed so random it was clear it was probably going to be retconned or explained in the next season

I'm just joshing. TTGL had a better finale. But I think I enjoyed Kill la Kill more on per-week basis.
My opinion might change when I re-watch it, but I believe it surpassed TTGL in terms of over-the-top, nonsensical action.

Well I can't debate your enjoyment since that's super subjective but TTGL did over-the-top action way better than KLK. For one, the former actually had a budget :p

As is known I guess my enjoyment of KLK sorta plateaued long before the finale, however I will say even besides that I just didn't really care much for the ending, it was a bit just too...things happening

I recently re-watched Digimon 01 and Digimon 02 and I would have to agree.... , but at the end of the day even beyond matters of problematic-ness, or whichever the biggest problem with KLK for me was the pacing, which ironically they were just always so darn proud of.

MikeMyers

I actually liked 02 better than 01 when I watched. Unpopular opinion I know but 01 felt a bit slow to me until the time they got back to the human world.

Jintor

dunno, having just rewatched it I think 02 has better ideas but worse execution. Nothing matches 01's Tokyo arc, for example

Well I can't debate your enjoyment since that's super subjective but TTGL did over-the-top action way better than KLK. For one, the former actually had a budget :p

Damn, son. It's like that? lol

Trigger did get creative with their budget, but the holes started popping up in obvious places in the second half.

KLK just has bad action choreography. Every fight devolves into a slapfest.

I disagree. Not every fight was a slap fest.
The first Satsuki and Ryuko fight and some of the Elite Four fights had some awesome choreography and dynamic angles going on.

I blame the limited budget for the rest, though.

Davis spends most of his time harassing Kari and its annoying, he also has the WORST dub voice and acknowledging you're a jerk doesn't make you being a jerk any less better. He has his moments being the most forgiving of Ken and the one who doesn't want to quit, but goddamn that voice, the harassment and first impressions.

MikeMyers

Oh right I rewatched 02 in the sub because his dub voice was annoying. I like the Sailor Moon music and Temari as Digimon Emperor.

Fun Fact: Dub Sora is...

o3SVoOI.gif

Can one of you please explain why everyone hates Matt. I've never watched enough to understand

Just his brief heel turn was annoying and felt forced. Like they wanted him and Tai's Digimon to battle as fan service.

02 is a convuluted mess, plot lines are introduced and dropped at random, the new digidestined just aren't as compelling as the old cast, Armor digivolving gets pretty much thrown in the trash half way through the series, black wargreymon while cool does WAAAAAY too much angst monologues with no purpose other then to look cool most of the time. Further more the way 01 cast is written at times seems like a big f you to the fans of those characters.

I actually liked the ending for what its worth, I may be the only person who was happy with it. Not the final battle or how its won that was terrible but the epilogue I enjoyed much more then 01's "YOU HAVE TO SAY GOODBYE EVERYONE CRY NOW"

I will agree Matts whole dilemma thing with not being the leader, while realistic , was grating, though to be fair I think Tai did in fact have many moments of being pretty darn insensitive.

MikeMyers

Story in 02 a mess but I like the action and antagonists better. 01 was mostly good just for the coming-of-age feel it had with the character growth.

I was always more of a Pokemon guy

So, if I didn't get a chance to watch the first episode of Black Lagoon last week, will I be lost this week?

the first few episodes are up dubbed on Hulu if you want to catch up. it's a continuation of the last episode; it's not so complicated that you'd have trouble figuring out what's happening but you might be a little bit confused at first.

what was the major dropped plotlines beyond the Dark Ocean's ruler?

The digi gods were introduced then never seen again, the whole episode where Kari gets pulled into the nightmare water crap (was that the dark ocean don't remember), that trainer who was in both s2 and s3 shows up randomly in s2 and vanishes again

Seda

So, if I didn't get a chance to watch the first episode of Black Lagoon last week, will I be lost this week?

Might be able to watch here. Or here's the summary from wikipedia:

While on a business trip at sea for his company, Rokuro Okajima is abducted by the members of the Lagoon Company: Dutch, Revy, and Benny. After obtaining a confidential disc for their client, Balalaika, the head of Hotel Moscow and a part of the Russian Mafia, Revy takes Rokuro as a hostage onto their ship, the Black Lagoon, to hold for ransom. Despite this, Rokuro begins to bond with the members of the Lagoon Company, and Dutch gives him the nickname "Rock". Meanwhile, the board of Rock's company gives Kageyama, Rock's superior, the authority to pursue the missing disc, and Kageyama hires a mercenary group to attack the Lagoon Company when they stop in the port city of Roanapur. The group dispatches the majority of the mercenaries and escape to the Black Lagoon in their car. However, the Lagoon Company is contacted by Kageyama, who informs Rock that he has been declared dead by the company, and shortly afterwards a heavily armed helicopter gunship from the same mercenary group starts chasing the Black Lagoon.

Jintor

Good points all - though only Azulongmon was relevant to the initial plot.

I think the other trainer was a tie-in dude for Digimon World or something?

Actually, i was more irritated by the way they introduced other digidestined - this American digidestined Mimi knows shows up in one episode and oh surprise Izzy and Mimi have been chatting with foreign digidestined for ages now but how did they find out who knows

???

Good points all - though only Azulongmon was relevant to the initial plot.

I think the other trainer was a tie-in dude for Digimon World or something?

Actually, i was more irritated by the way they introduced other digidestined - this American digidestined Mimi knows shows up in one episode and oh surprise Izzy and Mimi have been chatting with foreign digidestined for ages now but how did they find out who knows

???

Yep

And I know where he's from, but don't introduce some random character for a cameo like that when the digital world is in peril and have him go "ciao". When s3 made him a part of the cast it made a lot more sense, you don't cameo a digidestined in a series where its rare (at that point, obviously later on everyone is digidestined so lolol)

Edit: Finished the Jack episode I missed, I dunno I thought everything up to and including Dark Jack's introduction was awesome, but for the most part I found the fight to be kind of boring. The only part I really enjoyed was when the forest was on fire and they were fighting in the shadows that was awesome. I did like how Jack defeated him in the end that was very fitting for the character.

The sudden, a bunch of foreign digidestined thing was annoying and weird. cause like where were they when like the whole world was in danger and why do they have such general or basic digimon and sometimes no evos, like it seemed half hearted and was obviously biased.

So people who watched Clone Wars and SBT last night which show would I be better off watching tonight instead of IGPX to be caught up with the plot? I'll watch the one I missed eventually but I doubt I'll have time to see both before they air tonight unless I skip OG Naruto or FMA:B which I don't want to do

Seda

Watch Clone Wars if you have to choose.

Episode 3 of Symbionic Titan might be the worst episode, and it doesn't advance any overarching plot.

Watch Clone Wars if you have to choose.

Episode 3 of Symbionic Titan might be the worst episode, and it doesn't advance any overarching plot.

watch Clone Wars for sure. i'd even advise not watching that Titan episode at all; it's the show's only major blemish

Well that made it easy lol thanks guys

watch neither and just go get something to drink .

Honestly tonight is gonna be a weird start for me as the basement is being finished so my TV is now in my bedroom which is across the hall from my parents room, so that's not gonna work for Toonami watching. My step dad thankfully has this device that allows you to convert audio output into a head phone jack which works on the tv in the living room so for the next few weeks/months I'll be watching Toonami with head phones. Sadly my nice comfy head phones don't work correctly with this set up I have to use cheap head phones with a volume control.

The one benefit is that the living room is next to the kitchen, so I can get drinks and food faster. We also got a new coffee pot with a hot water dispenser so I shouldn't have to miss any of Naruto now for my nightly ramen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well that made it easy lol thanks guys

Honestly tonight is gonna be a weird start for me as the basement is being finished so my TV is now in my bedroom which is across the hall from my parents room, so that's not gonna work for Toonami watching. My step dad thankfully has this device that allows you to convert audio output into a head phone jack which works on the tv in the living room so for the next few weeks/months I'll be watching Toonami with head phones. Sadly my nice comfy head phones don't work correctly with this set up I have to use cheap head phones with a volume control.

The one benefit is that the living room is next to the kitchen, so I can get drinks and food faster. We also got a new coffee pot with a hot water dispenser so I shouldn't have to miss any of Naruto now for my nightly ramen.

For a few months? Get these if they are in the budget:

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-headphones-stereo-wireless-120-ii

I use them almost every TOONAMI night especially if I'm on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom