• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

You know I kind of feel like ToonamiGAF has become less active, mostly on weekdays. Like Schadenfreude and Seda don't post much on weekdays anymore.

Its the lack of Inuyasha

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's an illusion, barring announcements of new shows or a particularly interesting conversation weekday participation is about the same as it always was.

The big difference is that SAO outrage posting no longer being a thing has knocked off a good thousand posts from the actual event nights.

Raxus

Ever since the Seda rightfully put the kabosh on manga talk and I don't like to talk about anime I am watching that is likely to appear on Toonami I guess I don't have much to say on weekdays.

I tried talking a bit about Gundam Build Fighters but nobody seemed interested and I am definitely not touching Filler Hell with a 10 foot pole.

Plus Dark Souls, Titanfall (which I have barely touched, see former), Infamous Second Son, and some other games have been sucking up all my time along with work.

Crocodile

Kill la Kill Episode 24 (finale)

Better than TTGL

Having actually seen the KLK Finale......

LOL NO

I tried talking a bit about Gundam Build Fighters but nobody seemed interested and I am definitely not touching Filler Hell with a 10 foot pole.

I'm a bit behind but to be fair, is there really that much to talk about when it comes to that show? It's great but it doesn't really encourage discussion like a lot of other shows do.

Levyne

Banned
I recently beat second son. I put something resembling impressions here. I'm disappointed, but I don't regret buying it.

I'm also doing a lot in FFX HD. I'm the top poster in its OT. And I haven't started X-2 yet >_>

I still have yet to play FFX, even with everyone telling me it rivals VII as the best of the series. I might get it for Vita to play between classes.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Speaking of which, Jotaro and Dio are confirmed for DLC. :D
Wait, they are?! I heard about the fact they found their files in J-Stars Victory Vs. (along with Yoh from Shaman King & Dai from....I think some Dragon Quest manga), but nothing about them actually being DLC.

Wait, they are?! I heard about the fact they found their files in J-Stars Victory Vs. (along with Yoh from Shaman King & Dai from....I think some Dragon Quest manga), but nothing about them actually being DLC.

I thought we weren't getting J stars victory dlc? Well I'm excited

Ever since the Seda rightfully put the kabosh on manga talk and I don't like to talk about anime I am watching that is likely to appear on Toonami I guess I don't have much to say on weekdays.

What did you think I the Mejin/ reji fight. I was kind if miffed we didn't get a pure fight. But the story telling in this series is top notch.

Next week should be hype, hoping ramba Ral suits up

daveo42

Banned
qweCjLj.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5aZJBLAu1E

Seda

You know I kind of feel like ToonamiGAF has become less active, mostly on weekdays. Like Schadenfreude and Seda don't post much on weekdays anymore.

Its the lack of Inuyasha

There's been ~750 posts since 7AM on Sunday. I think for a while nearing the end of 2013 we hit around 1000, but before then (early 2013) we''d be lucky to have 300 posts during the week.

Levyne

Banned
I still have yet to play FFX, even with everyone telling me it rivals VII as the best of the series. I might get it for Vita to play between classes.

It's one of my favorites (maybe like...my 4th favorite FF) but I also don't really like VII at all, so there you go :p

Articalys

It's an interview with everyone's favorite voice actor Bryce Papenbrook, mostly about getting the role of Eren but with a bit of this near the end:
Incidentally, I was browsing the Internet a while back, and there were all these threads that pitted Eren against Kirito. When I saw the dub cast announcement for Eren, I thought it was surely some kind of beautiful coincidence.

People have sent me pictures of Kirito cosplaying as Eren. At the time, I could only laugh and say, "that's really cool." It's interesting how that worked out.

Who would you pick to win in a fight?

Inside a game, obviously Kirito would win, because he has God Mode running at all times.

But Eren has crazy mode running.

That is true, but I don't see Eren as much of a gamer. I think in real life, Kirito is strong-willed and passionate, but I think Eren would slice him up in real life. He's just too crazy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
X-2 is a job system game with quite possibly the best battle system of any JRPG ever so no, you can't experience all of the game in the first 20 minutes, that's crazy talk.

bigkrev

X-2 is a job system game with quite possibly the best battle system of any JRPG ever so no, you can't experience all of the game in the first 20 minutes, that's crazy talk.

Nah, just watch the opening cutscene, play the first few battles, and your done with the game. It's a fun 20 minutes!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The first few battles don't give you very many jobs at all...in the best version of the job system created.

Who cares about the story here (though there are some great bits like the hilarious Scooby Doo whodunit) you can't experience how masterfully this game plays in 20 minutes especially considering 12 of those is just the intro.

Levyne

Banned
The way X-2 plays carries the game for me. I hardly remember the story in many games I like. I certainly don't play jrpgs for those.

The first few battles don't give you very many jobs at all...in the best version of the job system created.

Who cares about the story here (though there are some great bits like the hilarious Scooby Doo whodunit) you can't experience how masterfully this game plays in 20 minutes especially considering 12 of those is just the intro.

I can accept a game having a bad story with great gameplay like Graces f or heck even decent gameplay with a bad story like FF13, but 10-2 had a completely irrelevant story where 5 hours in I was wondering "why am I doing any of the things I'm doing again". The combat while fun and fast just isn't strong enough to hold my attention with its non existent plot.

Also I'd argue Bravely default, Final fantasy 5, and final fantasy tactics all have superior job systems

bigkrev

Opening Cutscene with Real Emotion
First battle happens on top of a robotic drumming Buddha.
Then, you get Dress spheres, you change outfits a few times and laugh
Then, Yuna CAN"T STOP DANCING.

And congrats, you have experienced everything you need from X-2

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I could write another Thousand Words on FFX-2, a game which is simultaneously great and extremely flawed but instead I'll talk about something else I've been experimenting with in the world of gaming.

I've decided to kill of my 3DS/DS backlog with a game rotation. I play the first game on the list for a certain day until I beat it or get irrevocably stuck and then move on to the next one.

Code:
Monday: Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario and Luigi Dream Team
Tuesday: Resident Evil Revelations, Ghost Recon:Shadow Wars, Soul Hackers, Devil Survivor Overclocked.
Wednesday: [s]Metal Gear Solid 3D:Snake Eater[/s], Tales of the Abyss, Style Savvy, Adventure Time:HIKWYSOG,  Heroes of Ruin, Kingdom Hearts:DDD, Harvest Moon:ANB
Thursday: Professor Layton 3, Professor Layton 4, Professor Layton 5.
Friday: Monster Hunter Tridays
Saturday: Pokémon Y, Pokémon breeding in general.
Sunday: Free Day.  Might slot in EO: Untold Story/Rune Factory 4 or work on my eshop backlog here.

I've been doing this for about a month and the results have been good so far. I finished Snake Eater Wednesday and I'm almost done with Layton 3. I guess I'm over halfway done with RE:R and Paper Mario as well. Friday has been almost another free day at this point and I've also been quite remarkably busy or too tired on Saturday to make much progress in Pokémon Y.

If you're wondering how I divided up the games well, it's pretty simple. Monday is Mario themed. Tuesday is most of my downloaded retail collection with a focus on games I haven't completed but have started, Wednesday is retail 3DS games I've started but haven't beaten and Thursday, well, that theme is easy enough to judge (I also bust out the DSi XL for those games because why not?) and I still haven't quite figured out what to do with Sundays yet.

Seda

FFX-2 gets a thumbs up in my book. An actually fun ATB system with jobs system and an emphasis on timing + changing jobs mid battle? I dig it.

It seems like X-2 will forever be divided between people who can't get past it's nonsense story/set up and those who can. I will attempt to replay the game when I get x/x2 hd but it's low on my to do list

MikeMyers

Yeah it gets a mixed reception so I'll give it try to see if I like it or not. At the worst even I dislike it I'll still have FFX in HD.

Seda

The worst part about FFX-2's story is that it revolves too much around a superweapon.

Superweapons are a boring conflict device :/

Thundercats should have never ended...

I hate how it ended on such an obvious cliffhanger. I mean Mumm-Ra gets one of the stones and Lion-o gets NTR'd and they just decide to cancel it then and there. Same reason I got pissed at Young Justice, but not Green Lantern as I felt GL told a complete story.

I hate how it ended on such an obvious cliffhanger. I mean Mumm-Ra gets one of the stones and Lion-o gets NTR'd and they just decide to cancel it then and there. Same reason I got pissed at Young Justice, but not Green Lantern as I felt GL told a complete story.

Young Justice had some closure at least. it was just the tease for the next storyline was fucking epic.

Having actually seen the KLK Finale......

LOL NO

I'm just joshing. TTGL had a better finale. But I think I enjoyed Kill la Kill more on per-week basis.
My opinion might change when I re-watch it, but I believe it surpassed TTGL in terms of over-the-top, nonsensical action.

It's not confirmed yet, but the way I see it, if they have their names encoded in the actual game data , it means either
A) they were cut from the game during development
or B) they're going to be DLC characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom