• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar16| Oh yes. I poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

I have no fucking idea what Reign: The Conqueror is.

It's an anime about Alexander the Great. And yet, they somehow made that boring as hell.

OH MY GOD...

I never finished watching that. I got to about episode 7 before giving up because I was still lost on what's going on, even though I know what the premise and setting was.

To this day, I still wonder how the hell one can mess up an anime about Alexander the Great.

Raxus

Honest question:

What are some of the most boring anime to air on Toonami? Not bad necessarily but you just phase it out of your mind it was so boring.

Reign, Witch Hunter Robin and Naruto filler take the cake for me.

Honest question:

What are some of the most boring anime to air on Toonami? Not bad necessarily but you just phase it out of your mind it was so boring.

I think not. That was a pretty good show IMO.

Line_HTX

Honest question:

giphy.gif

Seda

Shippuden's pacing has been criminal. Remember when they chased Deidara(?) through that canyon of trees for like two months?

Of the first five Shippuden arcs, the first two are total slogs to get through, two are especially bad filler, and one I like but I admit it's more an affinity thing rather than quality.

The next is slightly alleviated from some issues due to shifting character focus, but it's still Shippuden.

Korigama

Honest question:

...Yeah, also gonna go with no on that one. Don't agree at all.

Jarate

Banned
Tenchi Muyo! GXP: Episode 4, True Love, Truly Painful

OvzTLs3.jpg

Ok so, apparently that Earth girl that Charlie Chaplin was wanting to fuck on earth is in space all of a sudden? Im really confused, unless im just not up to date with Tenchi Muyo Canon. And I guess the two main squeezes already start bickering over eachother and want to fondle poor Charlie Chaplin. We also get introduced to two new waifus, a cat girl thing waifu, who nuzzles with Charlie Chaplin, and his tour guide person, who's apparently married, and is another person in charge who is clearly willing to risk it all just to be able to fondle poor charlie chaplin. I got a feeling that whoever made this show really fucking likes to have women in charge who's a bit older. Not personally my jam, but I can at least respect that I guess

The comedy has also really taken a nose dive in terms of quality.

We also get to meet his new roommates, who both have no personality. Im assuming they are going to be the Klein of this show AKA Im going to help the main character get boned no matter what it takes. I haven't given much plot out, and I will do so now, since this episode seemed like the change from "mediocre harem IN SPACE" to "HORRIBLE FUCKING SHOW WHERE THE MAIN CHARACTER GETS SEXUALLY ASSAULTED EVERY EPISODE IN SPACE"

Also, his old best frien d and Kiriko's brother was seen molesting a rolled up blanket while looking at a cardboard cutout of a lady in a bikini. Maybe this is a thing pre-internet, but idk that was really weird

-Charlie Chaplin is a Eugene from Hey arnold, he causes bad luck wherver he goes to
-His family runs a store of some sort
-He goes to this person named Tenchi's place which Im assuming was the old MC
-There's a spaceship that lands in the water near Tenchi's place which swallows up Charlie Chaplin
-He wakes up to meet blonde haired waifu who took care of him and saved him
-He also has a bright red lipstick mark on his face
-He gets asked to join the GXP which is a galaxy for no rdeason other then the fact that this person in the corps really wants to fuck him
-He gets forcibly chosen to join the GXP by his family because they are literally the worst human beings on earth. (IE His mother was pretending to cry and pretending to bhe emotional to the fact that he was leaving, and everyone seemed to be happy in his family thatr he was leaving because of how many medical costs he has had to endure due to his bad luck)
-He goes to space
-He gets sexually assaulted by the blonde hair tan skin girl, and is now on A GXP transport ship
-They get attacked by space pirates
-Charlie Chaplin somehows shits his way into making the largest space pirate capture of all time
-He's able to meet the queen of space who also wants to violently assault him for no reason
-Kiriko shows up as some space clerk for no reason? And is against him joining the GXP cause it's too dangerous
-Kiriko and OG blonde hair chick get into fight over Charlie Chaplin
-Charlie Chaplin meets his new friends

And that's about it I guess. This show has gone to becoming mediocre to becoming bad. Im sure that it will maintain it's level of quality!

Im taking a shower, I feel dirty

Seda

The....uhh.....completely pointless name change for the US version!!

YEAH, that's it.

Offtopic: Some people get really incensed over slight name changes in localization. I ... usually can't bring myself to care, unless they start calling a Japanese guy George or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm okay if they do something like Funimation did with Sgt. Frog & called Natsumi "Natalie" or whatever it was during the test dub they did, as it was still very similar. When Capcom was localizing Okami, they actually just shortened some names but still keeping them in Japanese (they just removed a syllable or two). That's fine if they have a good reason behind it.

But yeah, it's weird when they completely change it for absolutely no reason other than "young kids aren't smart enough to understand or say Japanese names" or "lol we don't know, we just wanted to". I think people find it annoying because they could be used to the name &/or closer to the original Japanese version.

I'll also say for the most part, when Disney changed the names for characters in Doraemon, they were alright as well. "Nobita" became "Noby", "Shizuka" became "Sue", the nickname for Takashi Goda went from "Gian" to "Big G", & such. Those seem like they wanted to be similar to the original names, so I'm okay with those changes, especially given the younger audience.

Mizerman

I remember when 4Kids used to do the name changes. Sometimes they'll leave the original name (or do a little alteration) and other times they'll just go crazy with it.

Soulflarz

Banned
Offtopic: Some people get really incensed over slight name changes in localization. I ... usually can't bring myself to care, unless they start calling a Japanese guy George or something.

I can't bring myself to care unless the change is actually affecting my game or story, and in the case of Bravely Second, SE made the choice from fan feedback, so I'll take that as well.

Whoops, I meant
Screw you company name for changing her clothes/panties/boobs/age/ability_to_be_pet because I think it's important that those stay as the-

I can't write that. It's not really a thing defendable without coming off as a creep. If you can't make your defense in a room without a normal girl giving you a "what the hell dude", it's not worth it :V

Unless it's Drakengard, where there was plot in relation to sex and they didn't censor it, they just made the characters mute for the scenes. But yeah, names and other minor changes to sell it to the west more don't drive me up a wall.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Tenchi Muyo! GXP: Episode 4, True Love, Truly Painful

OvzTLs3.jpg

Ok so, apparently that Earth girl that Charlie Chaplin was wanting to fuck on earth is in space all of a sudden? Im really confused, unless im just not up to date with Tenchi Muyo Canon. And I guess the two main squeezes already start bickering over eachother and want to fondle poor Charlie Chaplin. We also get introduced to two new waifus, a cat girl thing waifu, who nuzzles with Charlie Chaplin, and his tour guide person, who's apparently married, and is another person in charge who is clearly willing to risk it all just to be able to fondle poor charlie chaplin. I got a feeling that whoever made this show really fucking likes to have women in charge who's a bit older. Not personally my jam, but I can at least respect that I guess

The comedy has also really taken a nose dive in terms of quality.

We also get to meet his new roommates, who both have no personality. Im assuming they are going to be the Klein of this show AKA Im going to help the main character get boned no matter what it takes. I haven't given much plot out, and I will do so now, since this episode seemed like the change from "mediocre harem IN SPACE" to "HORRIBLE FUCKING SHOW WHERE THE MAIN CHARACTER GETS SEXUALLY ASSAULTED EVERY EPISODE IN SPACE"

Also, his old best frien d and Kiriko's brother was seen molesting a rolled up blanket while looking at a cardboard cutout of a lady in a bikini. Maybe this is a thing pre-internet, but idk that was really weird

-Charlie Chaplin is a Eugene from Hey arnold, he causes bad luck wherver he goes to
-His family runs a store of some sort
-He goes to this person named Tenchi's place which Im assuming was the old MC
-There's a spaceship that lands in the water near Tenchi's place which swallows up Charlie Chaplin
-He wakes up to meet blonde haired waifu who took care of him and saved him
-He also has a bright red lipstick mark on his face
-He gets asked to join the GXP which is a galaxy for no rdeason other then the fact that this person in the corps really wants to fuck him
-He gets forcibly chosen to join the GXP by his family because they are literally the worst human beings on earth. (IE His mother was pretending to cry and pretending to bhe emotional to the fact that he was leaving, and everyone seemed to be happy in his family thatr he was leaving because of how many medical costs he has had to endure due to his bad luck)
-He goes to space
-He gets sexually assaulted by the blonde hair tan skin girl, and is now on A GXP transport ship
-They get attacked by space pirates
-Charlie Chaplin somehows shits his way into making the largest space pirate capture of all time
-He's able to meet the queen of space who also wants to violently assault him for no reason
-Kiriko shows up as some space clerk for no reason? And is against him joining the GXP cause it's too dangerous
-Kiriko and OG blonde hair chick get into fight over Charlie Chaplin
-Charlie Chaplin meets his new friends

And that's about it I guess. This show has gone to becoming mediocre to becoming bad. Im sure that it will maintain it's level of quality!

Im taking a shower, I feel dirty

But you're going to watch episode 5 tonight, too. Don't shower yet!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If you screw with the story, then that's when I might be a bit more annoyed. I don't like the notion of "well, gee, even though this game is rated M & is only appropriate for 17+, we don't think you, as an American, is able to handle this."

i.e. Fatal Frame, despite the fact the outfit was unlockable & kind of went against the thing the game was trying to say, did kind of "tone" one scene down since there was a reason why the character was forced to wear it, which lead to certain events. I'm sure some will argue even with the clothing change, the "intent" is still there, but whatever.

......but Xenoblade X, that's different, there's no reason story-wise for it, & I doubt Nintendo wanted the media all over them. I fully stand behind Nintendo on that decision. See also: The censored cards from Monster Monpiece (NOOPPEEE).

All I know is, I feel like we can't go a week or two this year without some kind of "this got removed for US version because whatever" thread/news. At this rate, the fact they have to do it & the people complaining are both equally tiring.

Seda

I wasn't even talking about that, but now that we're on the subject, i'll reiterate that xenosaga iii's censoring is the worst offender of all because it actually makes an especially important scene or two totally nonsense.

What I mainly got from the changes made in Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fire Emblem Fates is that variations in women's bust size is bad and Toga's are too lewd for us prudish westerners respectively.

I'll also say for the most part, when Disney changed the names for characters in Doraemon, they were alright as well. "Nobita" became "Noby", "Shizuka" became "Sue", the nickname for Takashi Goda went from "Gian" to "Big G", & such. Those seem like they wanted to be similar to the original names, so I'm okay with those changes, especially given the younger audience.

As someone with Gian in their name, I completely understand why they changed it.

Soulflarz

Banned
I wasn't even talking about that, but now that we're on the subject, i'll reiterate that xenosaga iii's censoring is the worst offender of all because it actually makes an especially important scene or two totally nonsense.

what'd Xenosaga 3 do in specific?

guessing just google :p

Jarate

Banned
as long as the "censorship" either A) doesnt affect the game at all, or B) takes out literal pedobait, then im generally fine with it.

I refuse to buy Bravely Second because they took out a good chunk of the game. I dont care if that chunk of the game is somehow worse, or terrible, or doesnt make sense, I dont want a crippled product. Also, the changes were based off of Japanese complaints, who have much, much different tastes then Americans in terms of what they like in their stories, and what they look for in a story.

TUSR

Banned
as long as the "censorship" either A) doesnt affect the game at all, or B) takes out literal pedobait, then im generally fine with it.

I refuse to buy Bravely Second because they took out a good chunk of the game. I dont care if that chunk of the game is somehow worse, or terrible, or doesnt make sense, I dont want a crippled product. Also, the changes were based off of Japanese complaints, who have much, much different tastes then Americans in terms of what they like in their stories, and what they look for in a story.

What did they do to BS?

Jarate

Banned
What did they do to BS?

Apparently they took out a whole bunch of the optional endings in the game and made it so there's only one ending, and it's the one where everything worked out. Apparently, the choices you were making would affect this ending, and this was not told well to the Japanese audience, so instead of editing the game to better explain, they just completely removed it.

Line_HTX

Man, glad I am in the minority for Witch Hunter Robin.

I, personally, must not have been too engaged when it aired.

It was a good enough show for its time on ASA. And it had everyone that was recognizable, JYB, Wendee Lee, Crispin Freeman, and Kari Wahlgren.

I mean the fact Bravely Second isn't being censored by Nintendo of America but by the original team in Japan and I assume if the game got a rerelease the changes we're getting would be most likely added to that version. What I find comical is we have people like Jarate taking this hard stance of protesting Bravely Second for changes to the game based upon Japanese fan feedback in the same breath we have Japanese fans protesting Star Ocean 5 for changes to the game based upon western concerns/feedback. In the end in terms of the actual gameplay nothing is significantly being changed in either case just a lot of salty tears over what should be non issue changes. I'll give the Fates people had a bit more to be upset about with the petting minigame being actual gameplay being cut, but considering how boring the "reward" scenes get after awhile without the minigame I doubt they'd suddenly become more compelling if I had to do a short minigame each time.

I mean the fact Bravely Second isn't being censored by Nintendo of America but by the original team in Japan and I assume if the game got a rerelease the changes we're getting would be most likely added to that version. What I find comical is we have people like Jarate taking this hard stance of protesting Bravely Second for changes to the game based upon Japanese fan feedback in the same breath we have Japanese fans protesting Star Ocean 5 for changes to the game based upon western concerns/feedback. In the end in terms of the actual gameplay nothing is significantly being changed in either case just a lot of salty tears over what should be non issue changes. I'll give the Fates people had a bit more to be upset about with the petting minigame being actual gameplay being cut, but considering how boring the "reward" scenes get after awhile without the minigame I doubt they'd suddenly become more compelling if I had to do a short minigame each time.

You mean you don't want to constantly pet Fire Emblem's equivalent of Gaston or Pit? I'm shocked, shocked I say!

But seriously, the minigame looked like it would get really repetitive after a while. Pretty much the reason why I ultimately don't care that it's gone over here. That said, the dubbed dialogue for Skinship is something I wish to be fully data mined at some point, just so I can have a laugh.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You censor stuff by editing! THEY'RE THE SAME THING, WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

But yes, I honestly understand the anger that Jarate expresses over changing the actual outcome of the story over "oh her underwear covers more of that thing that all of 7 billion people have behind them & 3.5 billion women have in front of them".

Regiruler

That family Guy rating passes me off

Who the hell is tuning in for family guy reruns anyway?
If you screw with the story, then that's when I might be a bit more annoyed. I don't like the notion of "well, gee, even though this game is rated M & is only appropriate for 17+, we don't think you, as an American, is able to handle this."

i.e. Fatal Frame, despite the fact the outfit was unlockable & kind of went against the thing the game was trying to say, did kind of "tone" one scene down since there was a reason why the character was forced to wear it, which lead to certain events. I'm sure some will argue even with the clothing change, the "intent" is still there, but whatever.

......but Xenoblade X, that's different, there's no reason story-wise for it, & I doubt Nintendo wanted the media all over them. I fully stand behind Nintendo on that decision. See also: The censored cards from Monster Monpiece (NOOPPEEE).

All I know is, I feel like we can't go a week or two this year without some kind of "this got removed for US version because whatever" thread/news. At this rate, the fact they have to do it & the people complaining are both equally tiring.

FFV was an improvement because we got the ZS.

Jarate

Banned
Also, in terms of that, i really just dont like the fact that Square decided they needed to just completely remove those ending sequences rather then just keep them in. I dont really care if they are terrible or bad, I just want the complete version. And hey, what if those endings were actually really neat to some people but disliked by those who post on 2ch. I'd rather just have the full experience rather then them just removing it because some japanese gamers decided it was the worst thing ever. Especially because Japanese gamers can be pretty shit with their opinions

But this is also the first time ive legitmately ever talked about this to anyone. I don't really see the need, I can just choose not to buy it which does way more then actively shitting up boards and creating drama.

I can't stand Seth McFarlane shows but I can see why you want the show that grabs the most ratings to be the lead-in for Toonami. The point is to get new people for your block. Most of us that already are the dedicated ones will do something else in the meantime until Toonami starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom