• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar16| Oh yes. I poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wtfu.gif

Turn in your ToonamiGAF cards. Real fans never let sleep or social life come in the way of Toonami.
I had gone to sleep at 3 that night and woken up at 7 am for plans that didn't pan out. Then I stayed awake after that.

There are many emotions an individual can feel when watching the DBZ films. Excitement, boredom, rage, etc.

I can now add another emotion to that list: disappointment.

Dragon Ball Z: Bio-Broly

maxresdefault.jpg

Swampthing and Muck's bastard love child.

So Bio-Broly disappointed me. It disappointed me because it wasn't the biggest piece of shit everyone touted it out to be. In fact, not only is it not the worst DBZ film IMO (that honour currently goes to Second Coming) but it isn't even in the bottom 3 (Second Coming, Episode of Bardock and either one of Return of Cooler or Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans).

I say this mostly because the first 20 minutes are... actually pretty decent. Mr Satan and Android 18 are in the film which gives it a notable advantage over Second Coming right off the bat and they do get some decent interactions with one another. In addition, unlike Second Coming, there's actually something akin to a plot this time. Essentially, some short rich, asshole wants petty vengeance on Mr Satan because he kicked his butt that one time back in elementary and engineers bio-warriors (who are ugly as fuck BTW) to execute his petty scheme. They even connect this with Second Coming with that one priest guy and how he was the one who helped create Bio-Broly. It does kinda drop off later on but I'll get to that.

Generally speaking it also has its perks that prevent it from being the worse. The animation is an overall improvement from Second Coming. It looks better and there isn't any blatant instances of recycled animation. On top of that, the fight scenes are better since they aren't as poorly paced and choreographed like they were in Second Coming.

So Bio-Broly is pretty decent...for the first twenty minutes. It goes downhill from there fast as soon as Bio-Broly is formally introduced.

It's hilarious how Broly is the among the worst parts of his own films. He signifies the downward spiral for this film and does nothing for me here. Bio Broly could have been some generic bio-warrior and the film would have barely changed if at that. He only grunts a couple of times if at that and what little characterization he had is thrown out the window in Bio-Broly. Hell he's not even the biggest threat in his own bloody movie. Goten and Trunks generally have an easier time dealing with him, Krillin and 18 aren't immediately curb-stomped by him and what ultimately proves to be the biggest threat in Bio-Broly is some kind of acid that kills anything it touches. Also Bio-Broly is ugly to look at like the rest of the Bio Warriors.

Story pretty much becomes non-existent when Bio-Broly enters the fray. Granted it's not like the story here is compelling, but it was at least there and I'd much rather deal with that than Broly and the smell that comes with him.

And like in Second Coming, Goten and Trunks are obnoxious and annoying. They were fine for the first twenty minutes but then Bio-Broly showed up and they became juvenile again. Most I can say is that it's at least more bearable here than in Second Coming although someone thought it was great idea for us to see Trunks' ass again. Probably the worst part about all of this is that they become the leads n the second half since 18 is largely out of commission and Satan is out of focus.

Bizarrely there's no real climax or resolution to the film. Bio-Broly is basically defeated around 10 minutes before the film ends and from there the threat turns to the acid which again is the bigger threat here. The acid is dealt with pretty quickly and even when Bio-Broly returns after the fact he doesn't even do anything except get Kamehameha'd to pieces. And then it just ends basically. We get one more Satan gag and obligatory Goku cameo and that's it.

So is Bio-Broly the worst flim? No. Is it in the bottom three? Probably not. Does it still suck? Yes, yes it does. I'm glad to finally be done with Broly and can move on to something else.

so are any of the DBZ movies good?

If you are not an insane person like me and don't want to watch them all, just watch Garlic Jr., World's Strongest, Bardock: The Father of Goku, and maybe Revenge of Cooler and Bojack. Haven't seen Fusion Reborn or Wrath of the Dragon to comment on those two.

Edit: Also haven't seen the two recent flims. Can't comment on those either.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I agree that the first twenty minutes of Bio Broly are actually pretty good, and that the animation isn't bad. The rest of the movie though, yeesh. It's an unnecessary movie, and that's saying something for any of these anime non-canon™ verse features. In a world of limitless potential this is what happens. A second sequel to a movie that didn't need a sequel, a sequel to a really bad movie. This is TOHO out of ideas for Godzilla bad.

Mizerman

I can't disagree. Bio Broly was something that didn't need to exist. It was just mainly "You guys remember Broly? You want some more of Broly? Broly forever!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Haven't seen the reboot films but:

All of the DB movies, World's Strongest, Dead Zone, Bojack, Fusion Reborn, and whatever the last pre GT movie are all decent to good and the rest of the series is...well, whatever.

Tamanon

Banned

The two newest ones are outstanding. Battle of Gods is an all-around great DBZ film. Plenty of interactions between the characters, and really good fight scenes.

Resurrection F is great too. While the fights aren't that great, the character moments just make the film. Both movies use the whole cast really well.

Line_HTX

I can't bring myself to watch Resurrection F because of SSGSS.

Seriously, even I can't handle this amount of dumb in DBZ, which was already dumb to begin with and only stuck with it and the movies because I watched it as a kid and not caring.

Dead Zone, World Strongest and Wrath of the Dragon are probably the best ones.

I would recommend Bardock's movie if the English dub wasn't completely terrible, but if you don't mind subs go for it.

The rest are just standard DBZ fights condensed in movie form.

I can't bring myself to watch Resurrection F because of SSGSS.

Seriously, even I can't handle this amount of dumb in DBZ, which was already dumb to begin with and only stuck with it and the movies because I watched it as a kid and not caring.

Its never called that in the film though and its now just super sayian blue

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've got a bone to pick with anyone who missed One Piece last night. YOHOHOHOHOHO!!!

No, seriously, give it a watch when you've got the chance.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece newbies are going to LOVE the character being introduced next week.
He's downright... Dandy.

Regiruler

Non
-serious question: Is talking about boobs a failing of the bechdel test?

Also, I hate spoiler tags. Well, mostly my half conscious self for clicking spoiler tags. Your browsing random threads tired as fuck, click a spoiler tag on instinct to read something funny, and next thing you know your brain starts recognizing character names, you then gain enough cohesive thought, and before you know it, it's too late and you've been spoiles.

Battle of Gods is great.

The World's Strongest and The Dead Zone are legitimately good. Bardock and History of Trunks are good if you can deal with some dub issues.

Lord Slug, Cooler's Revenge, and Super Android 13 are all pretty decent (Super Android 13's dub in particular is hilarious).

Tree of Might and Return of Cooler and Broly are bad movies.

I have not seen the rest.

Seda

I take it you played the original.

Is the ending of that game as bad as everyone says?

The 'ending' itself isn't really the problem, it's more a structural thing how the last several chapters are laid out.

Not that the game doesn't have other issues scattered about.

edit: The absolute best parts of Bravely Default are those later chapter asterisk battles, though

Seda

Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 60 - The Unbeatable Enemy Within! Goku vs. Android 19!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 61 - No Victory for Android 19! Enter Super Vegeta!
12:30 - Dimension W - 3 - Chase the Numbers
1:00 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 20 - Crime and Punishment
1:30 - Samurai Champloo - 11 - Gamblers and Gallantry
3:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 103 - The Four-Corner Sealing Barrier
3:30 - One Piece - 337 - The Mysterious Skeleton Floating Through the Fog! Venture into the Devil's Sea!
4:00 - KILL la KILL - 20 - Far from the Madding Crowd

Later.

Sorry for the random, delayed, and probably pointless question - not to mention double post.

Is this the first time you've highlighted the start of an arc?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sorry for the random, delayed, and probably pointless question - not to mention double post.

Well, it's not like one piece and naruto shippuden are ever ending, so we may as well highlight the start/end of arcs

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Actually not sure. I feel like I did it once before, but I'm not sure for what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom