• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Things that happened 20 years ago, the same year Toonami premiered:

- Pokemon premiered on TV Tokyo
- Final Fantasy 7, Mario Kart 64, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Star Fox 64, Parappa the Rapper, & Diddy Kong Racing came out
- South Park debuted on TV
- Titanic & Men in Black came to theaters, along with the Star Wars Special Editions
- Clinton started his second term as president

One Piece began in Weekly Shounen Jump.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Jack faces the Daughters of Aku, Goku and Beerus throw down as the God of Destruction tries to coax out Goku's true power, Mamoru Oshii's new crazy microseries makes its auspicious debut, the Z Fighters encounter some seemingly otherworldly tournament participants while getting food before the opening rounds begin, Jojo and Lisa Lisa press on with vengeance in mind and confront Wamuu and Kars and their vampire hordes, the Zeon Remnant forces converge on Torrington Base in Australia, the underground auction begins but it's not long before the bidding turns into a bloodbath as the Phantom Troupe make their move, Naruto and Utakata confront Shiranami and try to prevent him from releasing the Forbidden Jutsu on Hotaru's back, it's time for the Straw Hat Pirates to sail off into the sunset (and right into the Red Line) as Brook acclimates to his new life on board the Thousand Sunny, and Section 9 investigates the mysterious visits that a South American revolutionary has been making to Japan in recent months.

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 11 - Let's Keep Going Lord Beerus! The Battle of the Gods!
11:00 - Samurai Jack - 54 - XCIII
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 11 - Let's Keep Going Lord Beerus! The Battle of the Gods!
12:00 - Sand Whale and Me - 1 - Day 1 - Warfare Encounter
12:05 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 109 - Restless Foreboding. A Mysterious Warrior Appears!
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 21 - A Hundred Against Two
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 11 - Battle at Torrington
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 43 - A × Shocking × Tragedy
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 150 - The Forbidden Jutsu Released
2:30 - One Piece - 384 - Brook's Great Struggle! Is the Path to Becoming a True Comrade Rigorous?
3:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 7 - IDOLATER

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
maybe i'm whiny but all the fan art of Nier Automata makes me feel weird about playing Nier Automata
so would the fan art of the sonic series make you feel weird about playing sonic mania/forces?

I guess in all seriousness, it's not as bad as the fan art makes it out to be, if that makes sense? Unless you do something that's kind of a secret command (i.e. I don't think the game tells you & you basically lose 99% of your health) &/or trying to earn a certain trophy, it's not like it's in your face/easily viewable. Though if you're saying it more from the viewpoint of "the fanbase's reaction to a series makes me feel weird about checking that series out", that's a lot more understandable.

I doubt it will happen, but I would like for them to air the full We Are! Remix opening tonight.
That sure would be nice as a way to send the series off & have one more trip down memory lane, but yeah, I can't see it happening.

so would the fan art of the sonic series make you feel weird about playing sonic mania/forces?

I guess in all seriousness, it's not as bad as the fan art makes it out to be, if that makes sense? Unless you do something that's kind of a secret command (i.e. I don't think the game tells you & you basically lose 99% of your health) &/or trying to earn a certain trophy, it's not like it's in your face/easily viewable. Though if you're saying it more from the viewpoint of "the fanbase's reaction to a series makes me feel weird about checking that series out", that's a lot more understandable.

It is more from the point of view of "the fanbase is reacting to this stuff in a really weird way that also feels kind of insultingly reductive that is also probably perpetuating some 'BAH ANIME GAME' stereotypes for a lot of people."

(also holy shit Sonic fan art is weird)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It is more from the point of view of "the fanbase is reacting to this stuff in a really weird way that also feels kind of insultingly reductive that is also probably perpetuating some 'BAH ANIME GAME' stereotypes for a lot of people."

(also holy shit Sonic fan art is weird)
That's fair enough. If it matters, the story is actually quite serious (& bonkers) at times despite some moments of surreal humor, which is basically what Taro Yoko is known for. Hell, I heard the first Drakengard was described as "the Evangelion of video games", which makes me want to play & see just how nuts it gets.

& yes, jesus christ, I am not fond of some of the Sonic fanbase who draws that sort of fan art or is all "dis is my original character, DO NOT STEAL".

*walks into thread in an all white robe*

Sonic Forces is gonna break the curse guys!

Who wants kool aid?
curse was broken with Sonic Colors....& the Advance series.......& Rush/Adventure.............& Generations (well, the console versions, 3DS was...fine, but forgettable).

........Maybe not Lost World, though. I didn't mind it but the faults were much more obvious/frustrating near the end of the game.

Part of me is happy to hear Forces it's the evolution of Colors + Generations, meaning Sega is FINALLY going the route of "let's just take a damn gameplay element that worked & expand on it instead of throwing it away & trying something new".

plus Sonic Mania has Flying Battery Zone yeeeeeessssssss

Josh5890

Yea Sonic has been hit or miss, but I would say more hit than miss in the last ten years. Sega has pulled them out of the dark ages that was the post Dreamcast-early HD era.

well, i played the original Nier before it was cool so i imagine the new one is fine so that's mostly where i'm coming from - that it just feels weird to see so many people's affinity for a series i like boiled down to weird fan art.

also

artworks-000213337125-8k7grt-t500x500.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/toonamishowdown/showdown003

THE TOONAMI SHOWDOWN IS ON ITUNES/OTHER PODCAST APPS FINALLY

THIS IS NOT A DRILL (i don't know that this particular episode is yet since i just posted it but it will be eventually)

Mizerman

Colors and Generations have given Sonic a benefit of the doubt on my end. Now, Forces could end up disappointing, but I'll see.

Puruzi

Banned
Colors was fun. Gens was just a boost to win snoozefest, classic stages were aight tho. Hope Forces is more in line with Colors but it doesn't look like it

Seda

well, i played the original Nier before it was cool so i imagine the new one is fine so that's mostly where i'm coming from - that it just feels weird to see so many people's affinity for a series i like boiled down to weird fan art.

There are a number of games that I feel a section of fans are extremely reductive to the actual quality of the game or story. Like, to some people Persona 4 really connects on a personal level about self confidence and finding your true self, or they are engrossed in the gameplay style and music. To some Persona 4 is seemingly "which high school girl do I want to bang". For some games I find it a lot more enjoyable to play them on my own without trying to jump into the mess that live discussion can be.

That said I've seen plenty of not-weird fan art and legitimate discussion of Nier Automata as well.

When does Naruto go back to canon again? I forget how long this filler arc is.

Also, I didn't watch pre-flight but from what you guys are sounding like it doesn't sound like Gundam will be coming back to the block after 0096. I find it sad if Unicorn killed gundam on the block.

*walks into thread in an all white robe*

Sonic Forces is gonna break the curse guys!

Who wants kool aid?

What is this, 2007? joke died ages ago dude.

Seda

How many people are going to watch GitS now that we have to get through two unpopular shows in a row before it?

Me, probably.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm going to start skipping Unicorn next week since I gave it a fair chance (what, almost half the series?) but now that it's right next to Shippuden, I'd rather use the hour for gaming/watching other videos, but I'll still come back for GitS.

Never the less, it kind of sucks that GitS is after two very boring shows.

Rather short filler arc tbh.

Yeah I don't recall this one being that long.

So, who here is going to continue with One Piece after the Toonami run ends tonight? Since I watch online anyways it won't break my flow watching it from week to week but now I'll have to relying on filler guides and it'll be pretty sad we won't be discussing it on a regular basis anymore.

There are a number of games that I feel a section of fans are extremely reductive to the actual quality of the game or story. Like, to some people Persona 4 really connects on a personal level about self confidence and finding your true self, or they are engrossed in the gameplay style and music. To some Persona 4 is seemingly "which high school girl do I want to bang". For some games I find it a lot more enjoyable to play them on my own without trying to jump into the mess that live discussion can be.

That said I've seen plenty of not-weird fan art and legitimate discussion of Nier Automata as well.

maybe i'm just hanging around the wrong parts of Twitter

curse was broken with Sonic Colors....& the Advance series.......& Rush/Adventure.............& Generations (well, the console versions, 3DS was...fine, but forgettable).

........Maybe not Lost World, though. I didn't mind it but the faults were much more obvious/frustrating near the end of the game.

Part of me is happy to hear Forces it's the evolution of Colors + Generations, meaning Sega is FINALLY going the route of "let's just take a damn gameplay element that worked & expand on it instead of throwing it away & trying something new".

plus Sonic Mania has Flying Battery Zone yeeeeeessssssss

Yeah. Sonic's problem is consistency. He's all over the place in terms of quality.

He can't even be consistently bad. That's how bad the series is at staying consistent.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah. Sonic's problem is consistency. He's all over the place in terms of quality.

He can't even be consistently bad. That's how bad the series is at staying consistent.
It doesn't help people are so divisive on how the series should be handled

Sega tries something new: "UGH, THIS IS TERRIBLE, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST GO BACK TO WHAT MADE THE GAMES GOOD IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!"

Sega goes back to Sonic's roots: "UGH, SEGA'S JUST REHASHING THE OLD SONIC FORMULA, WHY CAN'T THEY TRY SOMETHING NEW?!"

Meanwhile, we have TWO games coming, one going back to the 2D roots & the other expanding upon the two games that most fans tend to agree are actually good, so pretty much the best of both, yet it's still causing people to complain.

Seda

I'm not a Sonic fan in general, but I did like 2, 3&K enough. Mania definitely looks like something I may want to try out at some point.

I have no interest in Sonic Forces at all, currently.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like but don't love Sonic 1.

Hate CD with a passion. Like 2. Really like 3. Never really played Sonic 3+Knuckles. Don't like Adventure. Like Adventure 2 a bit. Dislike heroes, the last game I seriously played. Liked the little I played of Secret Rings and Colors.

Like some of the GBA and DS titles as well.

Mizerman

It doesn't help people are so divisive on how the series should be handled

Sega tries something new: "UGH, THIS IS TERRIBLE, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST GO BACK TO WHAT MADE THE GAMES GOOD IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!"

Sega goes back to Sonic's roots: "UGH, SEGA'S JUST REHASHING THE OLD SONIC FORMULA, WHY CAN'T THEY TRY SOMETHING NEW?!"

Meanwhile, we have TWO games coming, one going back to the 2D roots & the other expanding upon the two games that most fans tend to agree are actually good, so pretty much the best of both, yet it's still causing people to complain.

And it's not just the games either. Even the comic fandom in Sonic are...passionate to say the least.

Seda

I like but don't love Sonic 1.

Hate CD with a passion. Like 2. Really like 3. Never really played Sonic 3+Knuckles. Don't like Adventure. Like Adventure 2 a bit. Dislike heroes, the last game I seriously played. Liked the little I played of Secret Rings and Colors.

Like some of the GBA and DS titles as well.

I played Sonic CD when it eventually showed up on Xbox Live. It's such a weird game. It kinda looks and plays like a Genesis game, but feels like a rom hack or something. The good/bad end stuff was really weird too. I didn't "get" it.

ckohler

Sonic CD is my favorite. Mania looks great. Sonic
Adventure was good but flawed. The other modern games (except Generations) have been bad.

Sonic games should not have complex narratives or even dialog.

Chase17

I adore Sonic Adventure 2. It's hilarious (while mostly playable)

Just in this cutscene you have the music being too loud for the dialogue, and the characters cutting of each others lines too soon.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I played Sonic CD when it eventually showed up on Xbox Live. It's such a weird game. It kinda looks and plays like a Genesis game, but feels like a rom hack or something. The good/bad end stuff was really weird too. I didn't "get" it.

Covered this game recently, it is different because it was made by the other half of Sonic Team lead by Naoto Ohshima while Yuji Naka was busy with Sonic 2.

Getting into the series through Adventure 2: Battle and Sonic Heroes has made exposure to the story and characters tantamount to my excitement concerning the lead up to the game. And whether or not it's good will carry over to how well I receive it.

On the flip side, because of that, I've never been able to get into the Classics. Too damn hard for me. Not a 2-D sidescrolling fan in general really. Plus all the characters I grew up with aren't around and there's no cutscenes to watch them interract with one another.

Nostalgia for me means something way different then someone who enjoys those classics.

It goes without saying that I'm more interested in Forces than Mania. I'm sure the people who like that kind of Sonic game will have fun though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
- I don't really like Sonic 1 in the same way I don't like the first SMB in that it's still technically a "good" game & I acknowledge the importance, but it hasn't aged as well as the sequels
- Sonic 2 is good, but not my favorite & every time I replay it, I seems to always forget about a zone or two
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles is flat-out one of my all-time favorite games
- Sonic CD is good, but you start to notice the level design isn't as good if you try to play it more seriously to get the "best" ending because it feels like you stop dead in your tracks if you don't find just the right location to time travel....also JPN soundtrack was better
- Sonic Adventure has not aged well & I fully accept that, but damn it if I don't buy it every time it gets re-released for nostalgia
- Sonic Adventure 2 was a bit better (I actually find the Tails/Eggman stages fun), but uuuggghhhhhh the Knuckles/Rouge stages.....
- I need to replay Sonic Heroes. I didn't mind it, but my main issue is I felt like I was replaying the same game 3 more times with slight variations
- SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG IS AWFUL & I HATE IT
- lol i ain't touching sonic 06
- Unleashed was......sort of a step in the right direction, but honestly, only Rooftop Run & Windmill Isle (daytime) were flat-out fun, everything else was way too trial-&-error or tedious, also EGGMANLAND IS THE WORST SONIC LEVEL EVER JESUS BLOODY CHRIST.
- Colors was good, easily the first "good" Sonic game in some time
- Generations was good as well, great anniversary game
- Lost World was alright, but as mentioned, I understand why the mechanics didn't work for some people
- The Advance games are good, though I think the first is my least favorite & earning the emeralds was waaaaay too hard, especially in the 2nd game.
- I enjoyed Rush, Rush Adventure, & Colors (DS), but I accept their flaws like too many bottomless pits at times
- Generations (3DS) was....fine, but nowhere near as fun as the console version.
- I didn't even finish the 2nd world in Lost World (3DS), having to hold R to run was a strain on my hand compared to the Wii U version
- Sonic's Schoolhouse on PC is an educational game that exists & I actually own.....I don't know why I'm including it

Grexeno

Getting into the series through Adventure 2: Battle and Sonic Heroes has made exposure to the story and characters tantamount to my excitement concerning the lead up to the game. And whether or not it's good will carry over to how well I receive it.

On the flip side, because of that, I've never been able to get into the Classics. Too damn hard for me. Not a 2-D sidescrolling fan in general really. Plus all the characters I grew up with aren't around and there's no cutscenes to watch them interract with one another.

Nostalgia for me means something way different then someone who enjoys those classics.

It goes without saying that I'm more interested in Forces than Mania. I'm sure the people who like that kind of Sonic game will have fun though.
Yo

check PM's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom