• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

So I try not to be a cynic or to jump on a hate train because it's the cool thing to do or whatever, but tonight's Tokyo Ghoul really soured me (and I thought the first episode was merely okay).

It was so "in your face" in every way, both visually and in the dialogue. There's no subtlety or nuance to be found anywhere, even relative to other shonen series. The friendship dramatics felt so forced and robotic. The extreme close ups on the eyes, the hilarious amounts of blood, the screaming monologues. Just blaaaah

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69kNXYwE8ndY64n

Retro-GITS:

This Part:
zlCfzRRd_MsZP5irtH

Of This Picture!

zlCfzRRe4xIjhsl8BE

LATER

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At least Tokyo Ghoul is just hilarious in how it wants to be all dark & in your face. I can actually comment on things happening compared to Unicorn which just sucks all the energy from me. Plus having seen it, I totally understand why it was requested for the block, because it was probably the younger viewers who were fans of the manga.

I want to see how stupid it gets the same way I was looking forward to seeing what they'd do in Akame ga Kill. It's actually fun/interesting to watch it & witness how not to do a "dark" series, where Black Lagoon was able to handle it sooooo much better.

Raxus

I'd love a sketch of Bloody Jack from last week.

I am glad people stuck around with two of the biggest draws cut off completely.

I hope Tokyo Ghoul doesn't meet Unicorn's fate where people just stop caring completely. IIRC it cools off a bit on the EDGE factor.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
After hearing how bad S2 gets, I want to witness where it goes, I'm sticking around. I'm actually laughing at times, because I could totally see myself being all "YOOOOOO, CHECK OUT THIS SHOW" & showing off random scenes if I discovered this in junior or high school, but now know how a "seinen" series should really be in terms of being "dark" & all that.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love a sketch of Bloody Jack from last week.

I am glad people stuck around with two of the biggest draws cut off completely.

I hope Tokyo Ghoul doesn't meet Unicorn's fate where people just stop caring completely. IIRC it cools off a bit on the EDGE factor.
I've already permanently lost any interest in Tokyo Ghoul. It's now part of my "time to prep next week's schedule" routine, the way Naruto has been for years.

Huh. (So yours is 10 days after mine)

Edit: Right on my 9th birthday...damn
2002 – U.S. journalist Daniel Pearl is kidnapped in Karachi, Pakistan and subsequently murdered.
My mom went to the same school as this guy, seeing him around & fondly remembering how he looked
Pretty sure this broke her heart a bit
There's a building right down the street from her mother's house dedicated to him. This is how I know

And now I'm sad! That sure took a turn.

Well then...let's talk about something else

The final episode of Gundam IBO aired today. I won't talk spoilers since I know some people are waiting for it here. Generally tho, I think season 2 is much more consistent than season 1. It's not perfect to be sure, but I generally I would say I enjoyed watching it. It's a much different season than the first tho, and I don't know if people here will like the direction the series goes in. It'll be interesting to see reactions.

What I will say is if you liked Gundam Barbatos in the first season, then you'll REALLY LIKE it in the second. Gundam Barbatos just keeps getting cooler as the series goes along.

The final episode of Gundam IBO aired today. I won't talk spoilers since I know some people are waiting for it here. Generally tho, I think season 2 is much more consistent than season 1. It's not perfect to be sure, but I generally I would say I enjoyed watching it. It's a much different season than the first tho, and I don't know if people here will like the direction the series goes in. It'll be interesting to see reactions.

What I will say is if you liked Gundam Barbatos in the first season, then you'll REALLY LIKE it in the second. Gundam Barbatos just keeps getting cooler as the series goes along.

If there's one complaint I had is I wish the series better developed the idea of Mikazuki and Akihito being bros. This last episode had a moment that really should have been a bigger deal if they had better played up the two always fighting arm and arm.

Mizerman

Yeah, it sounds like S2 is gonna be a little interesting this time around.

It's only been two episodes of Tokyo Ghoul and I'm not sure what to make of it. The best friend character feels at odds with this show. I feels like he's either gonna die or become a ghoul because he comes off as way too regular to main character on this show.

Jarate

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul is so meh, it has some good music and animation at times tho.

I'm just not that big of a fan of edgy anime tho. Also the organ transplant thing was idiotic

cntr

Banned
From the bit of the manga I've read, they hint much more strongly at something being up with the organ transplant than in the anime. Though they never give the answer in the anime, afaik.

More generally, the Tokyo Ghoul manga seems like it did think everything through about ghouls and whatnot, but the anime totally botches it.

Raxus

At least I can rest easy knowing one anime this week everyone is going to love. Persona 5!

It'd be hilarious if every Persona game would model after it's corresponding JoJo part from this point forward.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, so the anime goes the Dimension W route of trying to cram waaaaaaay too many chapters into 12 episodes & it probably should've been 24 of manga content instead of giving 12 to anime-only stuff.

Next chance I'll get, I'll have to see if my little sister saw it since she has the manga, it would be interesting to hear the view of someone from the demographic it's aimed at & how they feel it works compared to the manga.

Seda

I already said this but I will say it again, the main thing about Tokyo Ghoul that annoys me so far is how IN YOUR FACE everything is.

Morlas

It may be partially that i'm coming in halfway through, but one of my problems is i don't really like anyone in Tokyo Ghoul.

Was all of Toonami Rick and Morty last night? My DVR interface is terrible and I'm dozens of episodes behind on stuff so I'm trying to pinpoint what to delete. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum so I appreciate the help!

Man God

Non-Canon Member

...but what if you're like me and know in your heart of hearts that Barbatos is a lame ass design?

ckohler

Was all of Toonami Rick and Morty last night? My DVR interface is terrible and I'm dozens of episodes behind on stuff so I'm trying to pinpoint what to delete. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum so I appreciate the help!

Toonami begin at midnight with DBZ Kai. Only Jack and Super were pre-empted.

About Lisa Lisa jobbing in JoJo, I don't really mind it all that much because everybody who isn't Joseph in Battle Tendency seems to job. When Caesar is first introduced, he throws his bubbles at the Pillarman, and Wamuu immediately cuts them, and him, to bits. Loggins ends up getting killed by Esidisi without a fight, and Wamuu almost kills Messina with barely a fight (these are Joseph's and Caesar's trainers, remember). And then Caesar jobs again in his second fight with Wamuu. So I don't really see the big deal in Lisa Lisa jobbing to Kars considering how everyone else in this part jobs to the Pillarmen.

Hell, Caesar arguably jobs harder in his second fight than Lisa Lisa. He almost kills Wamuu, but makes a mistake right before his victory, and gets himself killed. The fight was fair, though. Kars cheated in his fight with Lisa Lisa, who probably would have killed him in a fair fight.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
At least I can rest easy knowing one anime this week everyone is going to love. Persona 5!

It'd be hilarious if every Persona game would model after it's corresponding JoJo part from this point forward.
It basically has so far. Can't wait for the female protagonist!

I'm back, guys! I had to attend a wedding this weekend and I didn't really use my laptop so I never came on here. I saw the April Fools Day stuff and since it was new Rick and Morty, I felt better about it than I originally had (It helped I saw most of the shows that were on beforehand and after except Jack (that was the only one that hurt a bit :'( ).

The [adult swim] April Fools Rick and Morty Season 3 Premiere and Takeover > Cartoon Network's "Let's put googly eyes on everyone! That's funny!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom