• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morlas

I think we needed a more light-hearted adventure episode after all the grimness of the past few episodes...also imaginary jack is kind of a dick

cntr

Banned
if Jack and Ashi actually get together, why, I'll stick some dubious acquired organs inside me and eat Biscuit and Caesar salad for breakfast

caliph95

if Jack and Ashi actually get together, why, I'll stick some dubious acquired organs inside me and eat Biscuit and Caesar salad for breakfast
Saving this for later and will need pictures as well.

I doubt they are getting together, Jack will likely be a father figure and this isn't Deathstroke or Bruce timm project

For last night's JoJo episode, Von Stroheim's "THIS CANNOT BE!!!" at the end is probably his English VA's best moment in the dub, because it's the point where he most resembles his Japanese VA. If you haven't heard Japanese Stroheim, I highly suggest you look it up. The actor's basically screams most of Von Stroheim's best lines, so much so that his voice sometimes cracks. It's so wonderfully hammy, and I don't think English Von Stroheim approaches that brilliance, except for that scene. Here's some examples of Von Stroheim in Japanese. It truly is amazing.

Also, for those interested about Joseph's father, George II, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of JoJo Bizarre's Adventure, a light novel called "Jorge Joestar" was released. However, I HIGHLY suggest you DON'T look it up. It contains MASSIVE spoilers for pretty much all of JJBA. The odd numbered chapters cover George's life, from his childhood to his marriage to Elizabeth. The other chapters... are everything else.

It tells a story that's so weird. It makes even the weirdest and most bizarre parts of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure look normal. For reference, at one point in the story, two landmasses suddenly grow legs and start roaming the Earth. It's become something of a joke in JJBA Community for just how... bizarre it is.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm still curious how a certain older character in Jojo Part 3 will sound seeing as his Japanese VA counterpart basically just yells things like, "OH SHIT!" or "OH NOOO!" with a heavy accent.

I'm still curious how a certain older character in Jojo Part 3 will sound seeing as his Japanese VA counterpart basically just yells things like, "OH SHIT!" or "OH NOOO!" with a heavy accent.

I believe 'that' character is voiced by Richard Epcar and will be using Epcar's standard American accent. He kind of sounds like an American Raiden (from MK). There's been footage released of the dub confirms it.

cntr

Banned
Just a little tip. I'd maybe add in a James Brown song (since that's where Smokey's last name comes from), and one featuring something from the artist Suzi Q to the playlist.
I usually try to keep it one song per reference, 'cause it gets too complicated otherwise. Araki doesn't make it super clear what's a reference to what, like with Suzie Q being either a reference to the band or to the Creedence Clearwater Revival song.

(I have playlists ready for everything up to part 8)

HStallion

Going from Season 5 of Samurai Jack to the second season of the new Berserk anime is like going from eating finely cook high quality lobster and steak to walking on broken glass. Maybe Genndy would like to make a Berserk show?

HStallion

just get the guys who make Game of Thrones to do a live action Berserk

I think Berserk has enough rape in it already, I don't need those two adding a few extra just because. That and I don't need to see Griffith doing all of his plotting and scheming in a whore house.

I usually try to keep it one song per reference, 'cause it gets too complicated otherwise. Araki doesn't make it super clear what's a reference to what, like with Suzie Q being either a reference to the band or to the Creedence Clearwater Revival song.

(I have playlists ready for everything up to part 8)

Considering her canon name is Suzi Q, which is spelled the same as the artist, not the CCR song, I see it as a reference to the band. Kind of like how Kars is a reference to The Cars instead of the Gary Numan song.

cntr

Banned
I think Berserk has enough rape in it already, I don't need those two adding a few extra just because. That and I don't need to see Griffith doing all of his plotting and scheming in a whore house.
Yeah maybe but it'd be better than whatever the fuck that new anime is, right?

Considering her canon name is Suzi Q, which is spelled the same as the artist, not the CCR song, I see it as a reference to the band. Kind of like how Kars is a reference to The Cars instead of the Gary Numan song.
Araki's spelt it both Suzi Q and Suzie Q (and "Suji Q"), so, well...

The only reason we know that it's The Cars instead of Cars is because Araki actually said so in a databook.
And because the final battle of Battle Tendency references Hello Again.

(edit: also I'll be honest -- the real reason is that I don't want to look for a song and redo the playlist, since I keep local copies.)

HStallion

I'm calling it now.

Jack could take Guts.

The real question is, could the two of them working in tandem take the real black swordsman?

I think I'd rather see Guts Vs Brock Samson. Two muscle bound rage fueled berserkers, one with a golden mullet, the other with one eye and arm.

Morlas

I'm glad that Numbuh 1 decided to come back to cartoon network, after all he was a staple of the channel for many years.

I'm glad that Numbuh 1 decided to come back to cartoon network, after all he was a staple of the channel for many years.

He's been back on Cartoon Network since Digimon Xros Wars/Fusion, to my knowledge

(Ben Diskin's his name. He also voiced Eugene from Hey Arnold!)

But yeah, now he's back mostly with the Numbuh 1 inflection

tumblr_oo4h24DI4V1s34y0go1_r1_540.png

I see what you're doing, Genndy. >.>

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh damn, just realized the Neogaf Live Thread extension got updated & now lets you set auto updates to 15 seconds & have it start automatically for threads. That should be handy for live viewings.

For last night's JoJo episode, Von Stroheim's "THIS CANNOT BE!!!" at the end is probably his English VA's best moment in the dub, because it's the point where he most resembles his Japanese VA. If you haven't heard Japanese Stroheim, I highly suggest you look it up. The actor's basically screams most of Von Stroheim's best lines, so much so that his voice sometimes cracks. It's so wonderfully hammy, and I don't think English Von Stroheim approaches that brilliance, except for that scene.
Yeah, he's the only English voice that I don't think works, which sucks because holy hell, the JPN VA was just having so much fun hamming it up. SEEKKAAAIIII IIICCCHHHIIIIIIII!!! The English VA still had his moments (HERE HE COMES, HERE HE COMES, HERE HE COMES!!), but is the weakest VA in Part 2 sadly.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Last night's Jack wasn't as strong as an individual episode, but it makes the season as a whole better, if that makes sense

It was a light-hearted cool down episode after a whole bunch of darkness, usually given out as to not burn out the audience on bleak tones.

Samurai Jack is the only show that didn't record last night, so I have to wait for the encore. :/

I'm kind of sad they're doing the last two JoJo's next week. I'm not sure if I'll watch Titan dubbed or subbed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*comes into thread, sees all the pics*

welp, now i've lost all desire to watch rick & morty along with jack.

15% serious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom