• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
holy crap, Discotek Media got the rights for Fighting Foodons & is releasing it on the 25th. Talk about nostalgia, I remember that being on Fox Box.......but I recall 4Kids dubbed it, & it's being labeled as "the complete english series", so maybe it'd be best to leave that as a childhood memory. Also 4Kids did a lazy job with the OP, as I recall it was just a remix of the Can-Can.

holy crap, Discotek Media got the rights for Fighting Foodons & is releasing it on the 25th. Talk about nostalgia, I remember that being on Fox Box.......but I recall 4Kids dubbed it, & it's being labeled as "the complete english series", so maybe it'd be best to leave that as a childhood memory. Also 4Kids did a lazy job with the OP, as I recall it was just a remix of the Can-Can.

Funimation should totally release the original One Piece dub for laughs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That should've been the April Fools joke: we got One Piece back for one more night, but it's the 4Kids version.

That should've been the April Fools joke: we got One Piece back for one more night, but it's the 4Kids version.

April Fools does fall on a Toonami Broadcast next year. What would be a fucked up prank is if they do a "Greatest Hits" marathon and bring back their more infamous pickups:

• Dimension W
  • One Piece (4Kids Dub)
  • Akame Ga Kill
  • SAO
  • Tenchi Muyp GXP
  • Dragonball GT

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gotcha Force is incredible.
I got lucky with finding a copy at a local game store for about $10, then discovered a year or two later that game is freakin' worth over $100, & that's for just the disc alone.

It's a shame I waited so long to play it, when I was a kid & heard about it, it sounded awesome & I think younger me would've loved the game. But yes, the voice acting is hilariously awful, like Capcom forgot they needed to dub the game, so they asked the employees to bring their kids in & just used the first take.

.....also, crap, I just realized they decided to double up Jojo's final episode on Easter weekend....that's gonna mean lower ratings....

Grexeno

I got lucky with finding a copy at a local game store for about $10, then discovered a year or two later that game is freakin' worth over $100, & that's for just the disc alone.

It's a shame I waited so long to play it, when I was a kid & heard about it, it sounded awesome & I think younger me would've loved the game. But yes, the voice acting is hilariously awful, like Capcom forgot they needed to dub the game, so they asked the employees to bring their kids in & just used the first take.

.....also, crap, I just realized they decided to double up Jojo's final episode on Easter weekend....that's gonna mean lower ratings....
They've never done a marathon for Easter though.

I like the rap in a cosmic nebulus where I can listen to it and enjoy it without thinking about it's impact on the anime community.

I do the same for the 4kids dub as a whole now.

On the one hand, it's hilarious watching it in hindsight because Funimation exists.

On the other, fuck it because it fucked up everything.

So I'm torn. Kinda.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i could never take laboon seriously because all i could imagine is 4kids deciding to keep the iceburg canon & trying to work it into brook's backstory, like brook figured the iceburg would make the tastiest snowcones.

Moaradin

I've heard nothing but good things about IBO season 2.
well, outside of some weird stuff that happens early on, but it sounds like the show delivered in the end.

One piece rap is great. It gave us Chopper's doctoring

I feel this is more a line that sticks out to people who didn't really watch 4kids dub since chopper doctoring was added after chopper joined the crew... and the 4kids dub was canceled shortly after that iirc. That version wasn't on the air that long, but its the one that has been immortalized online thanks to youtube.

I can sing the entire opening of the show having only seen like 2-3 episodes

Here's something incredible
These monsters once were edible
So everybody take a look
At combat creatures you can cook

/wrist

Link for memories/pain

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lVHJ4S4YYOk

I feel this is more a line that sticks out to people who didn't really watch 4kids dub since chopper doctoring was added after chopper joined the crew... and the 4kids dub was canceled shortly after that iirc. That version wasn't on the air that long, but its the one that has been immortalized online thanks to youtube.

I was wise to 4kids antics by the time they hit Drum Island but another hilarious thing about that opening is what they did when Robin joined the crew.

Literally they ran out of space in the rap now that there were seven people.

The first version was "The pirate crew, coming through, doing there thing with the king of the pirates. He's gonna be king."

When Usopp and Sanji joined it was "Usopp's doing that Marksman thing and Sanji's cooking for the would be king."

And when Chopper joined it was "Usopp's doing that Marksman thing. Sanji's cooking. Chopper's doctoring."

So for Robin, instead of getting a new opening or something, they just went back to the first version of the song and added in a one second clip of Robin after the Chopper clip in the opening.

When I saw that I laughed pretty hard. It sunk in so hard how much of a youtube music video project they were treating this opening as.

I was wise to 4kids antics by the time they hit Drum Island but another hilarious thing about that opening is what they did when Robin joined the crew.

Literally they ran out of space in the rap now that there were seven people.

The first version was "The pirate crew, coming through, doing there thing with the king of the pirates. He's gonna be king."

When Usopp and Sanji joined it was "Usopp's doing that Marksman thing and Sanji's cooking for the would be king."

And when Chopper joined it was "Usopp's doing that Marksman thing. Sanji's cooking. Chopper's doctoring."

So for Robin, instead of getting a new opening or something, they just went back to the first version of the song and added in a one second clip of Robin after the Chopper clip in the opening.

When I saw that I laughed pretty hard. It sunk in so hard how much of a youtube music video project they were treating this opening as.

What's most unbelievable about that is that 4kids had to have at least known about usopp and sanji, yet didn't write the first version of the wrap to either include them or not name any of the other crew.

cntr

Banned
the more I hear about IBO S2, the more it seems like there really was something to the rumor that it was originally written as a one season show

a weird thing is, that's been a rumor since the very beginning of season one, long before we got to the boring episodes. which actually makes it more plausible, kinda.

Moaradin

the more I hear about IBO S2, the more it seems like there really was something to the rumor that it was originally written as a one season show

That would be surprising to me since most Gundam shows tend to be 2 seasons with 50-ish episodes.

cntr

Banned
All original Gundam series are written as 50 episode shows.

That would be surprising to me since most Gundam shows tend to be 2 seasons with 50-ish episodes.
Yeah, agreed, but it does make a lot of sense.

...maybe the original plan was to have G-Reco as the long show and IBO as a short show? But they swapped the plans around once it became clear which one was going to be more popular?

Regiruler

the more I hear about IBO S2, the more it seems like there really was something to the rumor that it was originally written as a one season show.

People saying it's good make you think that?

Is Gundam like an inverse universe where the less time and planning there is the better it turns out?

Crocodile

tumblr_oo4id2lS0g1w6ga5do1_500.jpg

cntr

Banned
People saying it's good make you think that?

Is Gundam like an inverse universe where the less time and planning there is the better it turns out?
nah, it's more like....what it feels like from the way S1 is written and how S2 seems to be written.

most of season 1 seems to be both unimportant and written differently from the rest of the show, as if they were filler arcs, so it'd make a lot of sense if they literally were filler.

e: plus, it was a rumor since before we got to the boring arcs of s1, so this isn't an idea that came out of nowhere.

I've heard nothing but good things about IBO season 2.
well, outside of some weird stuff that happens early on, but it sounds like the show delivered in the end.

I do want to give fair warning that the last arc will probably be divisive. So it'll be interesting to see how you guys receive it.

Gundam IBO season 2 improves as it goes along. It doesn't have an awkward middle part like the first season.

Also when it airs you'll all get to meet the greatest Gundam hero.

Iok Kujan.

Grexeno

When I finally get to Persona 5, the main character will be Giorno Giovanna, and the group name will be Passione.

I'm just going to play it as if it's JoJo Part 5

So after seeing Your Name, I've been doing a marathon of Makoto Shinkai's other works. I've finally gotten to Children who Chase Lost Voices. Back when this aired last year, I decided I'd rather use the extra hour to go to sleep.

For a Sentai dub, it's pretty solid. The story is mad all over the place though.

I named my protag Koichi Hirose and called the group the same name.

Should've named the group No Dignity.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also 4kids made it to Jaya, which is actually a decent amount of Chopper Doctoring.

Remember that they cut out stuff to try and rush the show to get to da Chopper hoping he'd be a hit merchandise wise. It...didn't work out so well.

cntr

Banned
You know, they cut out Little Garden, right? What did they do to have Nami get sick?

And what would they've done for Enies Lobby?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So after seeing Your Name, I've been doing a marathon of Makoto Shinkai's other works. I've finally gotten to Children who Chase Lost Voices. Back when this aired last year, I decided I'd rather use the extra hour to go to sleep.

For a Sentai dub, it's pretty solid. The story is mad all over the place though.
I think the ADV Director was the same guy who did most of the other Shinkai movies (or at the ones Sentai has a hold of), & yeah, it's perhaps the best we've seen from Sentai on the block. But the movie feels like it really wants to be Miyazaki-esque, so the story feels weird at times, like it wants to have this unique fantasy world, but gives you little details about it. It's the least "Shinkai" of his movies, as he's more about the relationships between characters & exploring them.

I think the ADV Director was the same guy who did most of the other Shinkai movies (or at the ones Sentai has a hold of), & yeah, it's perhaps the best we've seen from Sentai on the block. But the movie feels like it really wants to be Miyazaki-esque, so the story feels weird at times, like it wants to have this unique fantasy world, but gives you little details about it. It's the least "Shinkai" of his movies, as he's more about the relationships between characters & exploring them.

Yeah I think this is the notable flaw of this movie. Shinkai is writing outside of his usual comfort zone and it shows. The world building here is just really weird.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Haven't played a Persona game on a home console since P2 so I'm gonna wait on P5 until its nice and cheap (or on a portable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom