• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Classic fantasy was one of those genres in anime that burned hot but faded out quickly. Same for post-apocalyptic and martial arts.

post apocalyptic is still going strong. Martial arts comes and goes. Fantasy after the western movie boom has been doing well, so the past 15 years or so. There's not a ton but there's more of it than there was in the 80's and 90's.

Backtracking on the toonami commentary last week, man pretty much all of you bailed when Gundam came around I only saw about 4 of you discussing what was actually going on. Unicorn would've done fine in another era of Toonami but nowadays when UC Gundam is barely known about here this was a bad idea all around. Wish we got Build Fighters or a repeat of another older Gundam series.

Glad to see Naruto getting some positive commentary now that we're entering the pain arc.

And I'm gonna bail on Tokyo Ghoul, the gore is alittle over the top and the plot isn't capturing me at least with Parasyte it was alittle easier to follow and between that and AGK I've had my fill on extreme edge gore for awhile.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
ToonamiGAF Podcast's talk on the previous episode of TG (i.e. "the emo goth kids") pretty much is a good summary of the demographic. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Hot Topic had a ton of shirts & such for sale, next to the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff.

At the very least, it's been kind of fun to watch in a "omg, i totally understand why it's popular with it's demographic" way.

Crocodile

I forgot to mention it earlier but the thought of "Mobile Suit Gundam: Cabbage Patch Kids" had me bursting out laughing LOL. Good podcast as usual.

Classic fantasy was one of those genres in anime that had a boom period but you don't get nearly as much anymore outside of isekai. Same for post-apocalyptic and martial arts.

I miss classic fantasy anime. Not that its extinct but nowadays 99% of the stuff is "generic kid gets transported to a fantasy world that seems to weirdly bend to his whim" or "characters are actually in a fantasy video game of some sort". It's just not the same :/

Konosuba get props for actually being funny and the newest season of Rage of Bahamut just started so it could be worse. Things are not what I'd consider remotely good right now though.

cntr

Banned
Wonder why there aren't many superhero series right now? I mean, there's My Hero Academia and One-Punch Man, yeah, but that's because of the author being a westaboo comics nerd and it being a jokes-y webcomic, respectively, so it's kind of weird manga or anime aren't trying to take advantage of the recent popularity of superhero films. You'd think there'd be more.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wonder why there aren't many superhero series right now? I mean, there's My Hero Academia and One-Punch Man, yeah, but that's because of the author being a westaboo comics nerd and it being a jokes-y webcomic, respectively. It's kind of weird manga or anime aren't trying to take advantage of the recent popularity of superhero films.

Super Sentai got that covered already

cntr

Banned
That's something different, though. And there aren't that many tokusatsu anime either!

...still need to start watching Gaim, though...

Crocodile

Wonder why there aren't many superhero series right now? I mean, there's My Hero Academia and One-Punch Man, yeah, but that's because of the author being a westaboo comics nerd and it being a jokes-y webcomic, respectively, so it's kind of weird manga or anime aren't trying to take advantage of the recent popularity of superhero films. You'd think there'd be more.

Doesn't Stan Lee have his The Reflection anime coming up? I forget who he's working with on the project but I recall it being some big names.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's something different, though. And there aren't that many tokusatsu anime either!

...still need to start watching Gaim, though...

I need to do this as well.

Do it. Don't say no, just live more!

A shame there aren't any great subs for it. The "best" ones still make stupid errors and won't get fixed since the guy that made them lost his fucking mind.

HStallion

If they picked better short films and shows I'd watch but Sand Whale and me seems like a joke without a punchline. I just keep waiting for it to land and it never does

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm laughing at how that idiotic "Persona 5 made me try to agree to something" thread managed to get viral.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm laughing at how that idiotic "Persona 5 made me try to agree to something" thread managed to get viral.
I got a chuckle out of the fact that disclaimer was narrated, a "wait, seriously?!" laugh when it asked me to agree, & then a harder "omg this actually just happened" laugh when I chose no.

There's actually been a time where someone's name matched a character's name in a game, & it was Trauma Center of all things. Got a good "huh, weird" out of that, don't think I ever showed said person since it was a parent's friend.

cntr

Banned
I miss classic fantasy anime. Not that its extinct but nowadays 99% of the stuff is "generic kid gets transported to a fantasy world that seems to weirdly bend to his whim" or "characters are actually in a fantasy video game of some sort". It's just not the same :/
Oh, I almost forgot, you might like a series called Dungeon Meshi. Madhouse might be doing an anime of it, but that'll take a while, so go read it. It's very good!

Z2NkFF0.gif

Xe4

Banned
Man, new Jack (with the Scotsman), double JoJo, end of SW&M, no Tokyo Ghoul, it's gonna be great. Only downside tonight is Bizzare Adventure is ending.
Gah, I still gotta catch up on HxH and Unicorn, lol.

Ponn

Banned
post apocalyptic is still going strong. Martial arts comes and goes. Fantasy after the western movie boom has been doing well, so the past 15 years or so. There's not a ton but there's more of it than there was in the 80's and 90's.

Fantasy anime is something I've been sorely missing. The closest out there is Log Horizon, SAO (shudder) and new Berserk (cold shudders). I miss the Record of Lodoss War, Escaflownes and El Hazard.

HStallion

Hope everyone enjoys the packed night. I probably won't be catching it, gotta do that whole socializing like an adult thing

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
but you can socialize with us, like you've been doing every week.

also oh man, the fact we'll be going right from Jojo to what seems like a hype episode of HxH will be amazing.........only for it to be completely gone due to the brakes that is Unicorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom