• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.
6GgFS8Q.gif

Farewell, Uvo.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Things are going to get really real now.

Time for me to finally watch the new Samurai Jack.

The problem is, in my mind, that Kurapika isn't interested in the rest of the world anyway. I know I haven't seen everything, obviously, but it looks he gave himself a major handicap in every battle he's interested in fighting.
Again the kid is still young, so its not that a far out idea that one day hes going to have to fight a nen user thats not realted to the troupe

RagnarokX

The problem is, in my mind, that Kurapika isn't interested in the rest of the world anyway. I know I haven't seen everything, obviously, but it looks he gave himself a major handicap in every battle he's interested in fighting.

Just because Kurapika isn't interested doesn't mean the rest of the world won't be interested in fighting him. If people stand in the way to his goal that aren't Spiders he'll have trouble getting past them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, to think we had 90 minutes of awesome action & now it's completely getting undone by Unicorn.

Oh well, time for Persona 5 until GitS

Ashby

Just because Kurapika isn't interested doesn't mean the rest of the world won't be interested in fighting him. If people stand in the way to his goal that aren't Spiders he'll have trouble getting past them.

But then he could just have his buddies Gon and Killua have his back.

Seda

I don't mind Kurapika not holding back against a murderer. To many Shounen characters give their enemies undeserved and unconditional dignity, honestly.

Uvo was the best match up for Kurapika, knows his nen ability and knows that it's a straight forward enhancer ability. Biggest issue in nen fights is having no idea what the other's ability is.

Xe4

Banned
How is any fight against a troupe member not just going to be a stomp? Maybe if they take him on more than one at a time?

Anyhow, great fight. Cable is being a shit, so I'm probably gonna call it quits. Later!

cntr

Banned
And Kurapika can only get stronger from here on out. This man just learned Nen guys. Holy shit.
Given the contract, not really. He's only so strong because of that contract.

And no, you can't undo contracts.

The way I see it is, like, Kurapika is no longer just a protagonist, he's also the villain from the Troupe's perspective, most of whom are likable characters and who you don't want to see die, despite Kurapika clearly being in the right.

So the appeal comes from seeing how Kurapika and the Troupe fight from the perspective of seeing them as separate sides you both root for, rather than a standard protag vs. villain fight. It's that shift in perspective that makes it work for me.

TheOGB

Banned
BotG arc is finally done
Battle Tendency's finale is still amazing, especially back to back
Crap puka straight murked a guy
Samurai Jack season 5 exists

what a fantastic night

Ashby

I don't mind Kurapika not holding back against a murderer. To many Shounen characters give their enemies undeserved and unconditional dignity, honestly.

Maybe I'm too used to that but he had the dude wrapped up. It feels like a cop having a perp in handcuffs on his knees and blowing the guy's brains out anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He also has to get the eyes of his clansmen back and the spiders no longer have them. So if a strong nen user crosses his path he's basically defenseless. This actually comes back into play much later on.

Like others have said, the Spiders won't always be the main target. Say that someone was attacking one of Kurapika's friends and it wasn't the Phantom Troupe. Simple nen won't do. The world is vast and full of strong people. Kurapika made himself useless.

What's stopping Kurapika from removing this contract from his heart and making a new contract?

Also damn he literally buried this fool :O
Nen is half magic/half ki. It's not something that can be gotten rid of that easily.

Moaradin

How is any fight against a troupe member not just going to be a stomp? Maybe if they take him on more than one at a time?

Anyhow, great fight. Cable is being a shit, so I'm probably gonna call it quits. Later!

That question is what makes this arc so great. Watching Kurapika as
both the hunter and the hunted
is so much fun.

But then he could just have his buddies Gon and Killua have his back.

I mean, assuming they're around, sure I guess.

I'm gonna hold off on making the judgement on that. I've read through the whole manga at this point but I still don't know because of his extremely limited use.

Living in a world as fucked up as this and not be able to defend yourself against anything other than the Phantom Troupe doesn't sound safe at all to me though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

You should know by now that Hunter x Hunter is crazy inventive with its abilities. It's not about power levels. Even 100% of every Nen aspect might not be enough in some fights.

Thinking about the other member's actual abilities,
Kurapika could probably talk about half of them 1-on-1 without altering anything he did with Uvo. Some of them though would need significant thinking on his feet, especially Chrollo.

ckohler

Why say the name if the ship they are on?! It's pointless info. It's like the show wants to have as many nouns as possible to make it better somehow.

i guess i think of Kurapika's abilities as the fact that he's limiting his options for a thing that basically exists for the purpose of confrontation with anyone he might possibly encounter throughout his life. there are consequences to focusing on like 0.1% of the population of nen users, even if he by and large doesn't care about the rest at the moment

Crocodile

I dunno, I'm not sure how I feel about all this contract stuff. Seems he made himself useless for every other arc in the series from what people are saying? So he goes on a curbstomping spree in this arc and then gets worfed every other arc (at least theroretically)? We'll see I guess.

BBboy20

I think the most telling thing about this moment is that the murderer gets the last laugh, thus this lack of justice being obtained.

And did I hear a phone sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom