• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pregnant_Goku___colored_by_ArizonaRed.jpg

Amikami

Banned
Edit: I should have known it would be you, lazybones.

Amikami, which DBZ cat is best: Puar, Korin, or Scratch? Your expertise is needed.

Puar most definitely because you can't go wrong with a shapeshifting cat. Not that I have anything against Korin but scratch it too damn cute not to be second.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I leave for one day to become a two time, two time, two time uncle and this is what I get to come home to?

Raxus

Even I am not evil enough to post pregnant DBZ art. Shit us fucked up.

Tonight is going to be a sloooow night.

daveo42

Banned
Is there any reason why the show is called Bleach?

I wonder if its part of a future plot-twist.

According to the Bleach Wiki:
The title wasn't Bleach when Tite Kubo decided to draw a story about Shinigami. This was before he drew the one-shot manga that appeared in Akamaru Jump. The weapon wasn't a sword, but a scythe. Only Rukia had a scythe and the other characters used guns. At that point, the title was Snipe (as in "Sniper"). Right before he started drawing, he began to think that a sword would be better and realized he couldn't use Snipe as a title anymore. He began looking for a title that grasped the bigger picture. Shinigami are associated with the color black, but it would have been boring to use "black". "White", on the other hand, can suggest black as a complementary color. So Tite Kubo chose "Bleach" to evoke the impression of the color white.

So the whole black v. white, light v. dark, good v. evil. Not really all that deep. The original concept sounds a little better, than everyone just have swords and Rukia being Death.

Man how things change.

I think I'm gonna watched the AoT subs first then rewatch the dub on Toonami. I don't want to wait. I really wished they didn't censor Black Lagoon out. Japanese Revy is so much better.

RedBoot

So the whole black v. white, light v. dark, good v. evil. Not really all that deep. The original concept sounds a little better, than everyone just have swords and Rukia being Death.

Man how things change.

Huh. I always assumed it referred to the practice of Japanese delinquents bleaching their hair, and how Ichigo has that hair color naturally (he says something early in the series about how people think he bleaches his hair).

Not that something like that really ties into the rest of the story, but then, early Bleach is pretty different from late Bleach.

Man how things change.

Huh, always thought it was a Nirvana reference.

Jintor

I had always heard he named it Bleach because of Ichigo's hair (which is naturally orange or whatever, but people always assumed he bleached it). But maybe that was just a retrofitted justification.

Anytime anyone says someone is faster than the Flash, just bust out this image

*MOTHERFUCKING FLASH*

I love the flash but goddamn, his powers fluctuate even worse than Superman over the course of different comics/artists/writers/etc.

It really starts to bug me when I see it happen in the animated universe as well. Just using Justice League for example:

In one episode, you will have Flash quite literally circling the globe at the speed of light in seconds.

In another, you will have him seemingly unable to keep up with a U-haul sized truck on a freeway. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever and really diminishes the character to me. You have an individual so stupidly powerful that he is only held back by quite honestly, his own ignorance most of the time (in the case of Wally West). For Barry Allen Flash, he was held back by his own morals and boy scoutery that rivaled supes.

Speaking of weird things going on in the DCAU, everyone should check out Batman: The Brave and The Bold season 2 episode 14. I wish I could link to the part I'm talking about but it looks like WB has cracked down on the videos floating around youtube now that they have their own service on youtube available for you to buy episodes for 1.99 a pop. The episode is called "Requiem for a Scarlet Speedster" and is heavily related to all 3 Flashes (Golden age, Barry allen and Wally West Kid Flash).

There is one scene in particular in this episode that has blown me away from the moment I saw it, so much so that I had to pause the tv, back it up and have another come watch and confirm I wasn't insane. Jay (golden age flash), Batman and Kid Flash are attempting to use the super sonic treadmill to rescue Barry Allen who seems to be trapped in the speedverse. In doing so though, there is a scene where all 3 are running on the treadmill together. This blew my mind right out the door. There you have not one but TWO Flashes running side by side with fucking Batman and he isn't even breaking a sweat! He is just running FREE HAND, not even holding the handle bars of the treadmill next to TWO flashes? Shouldn't his legs just be being blown off from the sheer force moving under him at the time? Drives me crazy.

Jintor

Well, to be fair, the one time DCAU flash ran fast enough to encircle the globe, he got sucked into the speed force and nearly died.

Well, to be fair, the one time DCAU flash ran fast enough to encircle the globe, he got sucked into the speed force and nearly died.

While true, I was just trying to express the complete polar opposites. I guess a more safety-on reasoning would be "Can't catch truck" vs. "Frequently runs on water between continents"

daveo42

Banned
One day I will destroy the Melancholy of Haruhi Shizuma and then maybe all of the stupid anime dances will stop happening.

I'd think you need to kill all of para para dancing too, along with tons of other anime to really kill it off. Maybe the entirety of J-pop.

I think you're stuck with it man.

Huh. I always assumed it referred to the practice of Japanese delinquents bleaching their hair, and how Ichigo has that hair color naturally (he says something early in the series about how people think he bleaches his hair).

Not that something like that really ties into the rest of the story, but then, early Bleach is pretty different from late Bleach.

Huh, always thought it was a Nirvana reference.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised as well, though I wasn't expecting something all that deep to begin with.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Man how things change.
Took me a few years, but it hit me that Bleach = cleansing, because they're cleansing souls or whatever, so I figured that was what the name meant. Though I will say that original concept sounds interesting, did he ever publish it? Perhaps he's saving it for when Bleach ends & he needs another manga to work on.

Also damn if I get Jojo All-Star Battle (& Jet Set Radio's OST. Blastin' Concept of Love in the car yeaaaahhh) on one of the days I have off because the college wants us to study for finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom