• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn't this show more popular?
giphy.gif

i ask myself that question every day.
The weird thing is that Gintama is actually one of the besst written and most heartfelt animes ive ever seen.

Moaradin

Why isn't this show more popular?

Seems pretty popular in Japan but it's a show that's never been localized over here and probably never will because of the nature of it. The show is mainly a comedy but it has serious arcs that are actually better than like 90% of shonen. More people really need to watch it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Damn, I recall Aokiji being OP as fuck. The world govt doesn't fuck around apparently.

Aside from the four emperors, it really doesn't get more powerful than the fleet admiral and admirals.... and one vice admiral who you'll be meeting after this arc.

Seems pretty popular in Japan but it's a show that's never been localized over here and probably never will because of the nature of it.

Its a show that uses Japanese word play for a portion of its gags. Even a Cromartie styled gag-dub wouldn't work for the show. The localization would be extremely difficult, especially with the number of episodes that exist.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Aside from the four emperors, it really doesn't get more powerful than the fleet admiral and admirals.... and one vice admiral who you'll be meeting after this arc.

The Vice Admiral you're talking about was already introduced about 230 episodes ago.

Raxus

The thing is gintama is a very conversational comedy, a lot of the jokes get lost in translation, and the other half is nothing but anime parodies.
Also japanese pop culture references.
oS3GbCS.jpg

tell me how youd translate this joke and make it understandable.

Shin Chan managed to make it stateside but yeah it is extremely hard to adapt comedies to an american audience when a ton of jokes are revolve around its native dialect and culture.

oS3GbCS.jpg

tell me howd you translate this joke for english audiences.
bMBXX.jpg

or this.
img_1_8_1392269128_2682a82782c5.jpg

and not get sued for this.

I don't get your argument. Because I, a person who doesn't speak japanese, can't translate a pun means it'd be impossible/hard for a localizer? That's what their job is. It is literally in their job description.

I don't get your argument. Because I, a person who doesn't speak japanese, can't translate a pun means it'd be impossible/hard for a localizer? That's what their job is. It is literally in their job description.
Its not a pun, its the equivalent of making a joke about chloe chardashian to a person who lives in russia. They have no idea who or what theyre talking about. The joke gets lost in translation and doesnt hit because who the fuck are the talking about? I dont watch japanese talk shows or stand up comedy.

Crocodile

Shin Chan managed to make it stateside but yeah it is extremely hard to adapt comedies to an american audience when a ton of jokes are revolve around its native dialect and culture.

They didn't translate Shin-Chan so much as COMPLETELY rewrite it. It can be done but I doubt Gintama would bring in enough money stateside to be worth the effort.

What's the joke?

It's a parody of a real life Japanese press conference where the dude went crazy or something (if you mean Moaradin's link)

Its not a pun, its the equivalent of making a joke about chloe chardashian to a person who lives in russia. They have no idea who or what theyre talking about. The joke gets lost in translation and doesnt hit because who the fuck are the talking about? I dont want japanese talk shows or stand up comedy.

You change the joke like how they changed Franky's hentai joke, you make a joke about a US celeb that looks somewhat like that guy/redraw him to look more like a US celeb, or you keep it as is and don't worry if your audience doesn't get the joke

tell me howd you translate this joke for english audiences..

Its not hard to translate the joke. Localization is the real issue.

But I think we're selling Gintama short. While a portion of its jokes does rely on Japanese word play/pop culture, a very strong amount of its jokes are still hilarious regardless of what language you speak or where you're from. Gintama wouldn't be that great if it just relied on word play/pop culture humor, or even just humor for that matter as Gintama isn't just comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom