• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a big fan of any sport either, though seeing any sport live in about a million times better than ever watching it on TV. I can get excited about sportsball if I'm actually there, but sitting at home watching seems like a general waste of time that could be spent doing literally anything else.

I find it's a pretty mixed bag. Some sports are definitely worse live. Football, for example, is WAY better on TV than it is live. Baseball is kind of a different experience altogether in the stadium, more just like hanging out and having a day at the park while there also technically happens to be a baseball game in progress.

Soccer is really fun live because it always has a great atmosphere. Basketball can be pretty good live from what I remember (been a long time since I've been to one), especially if you've got good seats.

And, of course, hockey is amazing live and vastly superior to watching it on TV.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I find it's a pretty mixed bag. Some sports are definitely worse live. Football, for example, is WAY better on TV than it is live. Baseball is kind of a different experience altogether in the stadium, more just like hanging out and having a day at the park while there also technically happens to be a baseball game in progress.

Soccer is really fun live because it always has a great atmosphere. Basketball can be pretty good live from what I remember (been a long time since I've been to one), especially if you've got good seats.

And, of course, hockey is amazing live and vastly superior to watching it on TV.

Hockey used to be UNWATCHABLE on TV before HD. Now I find it just as good if not better than live.

Football has always been better on TV. Baseball is great no matter what but it's superior form might just be radio. Basketball can also be amazing on the radio.

Seda

This might be pretty weird but I basically 'consume' sports as the ultimate white-noise. Turn the TV to whichever event is the most interesting when I am at home, continue to play videogames or whatever as I follow along.

I do this for Toonami too, sometimes

LOLDSFAN

I don't watch sports but I always stay up to date with the scores, watch highlights, and know who's good and who's not.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This might be pretty weird but I basically 'consume' sports as the ultimate white-noise. Turn the TV to whichever event is the most interesting when I am at home, continue to play videogames or whatever as I follow along.

I do this for Toonami too, sometimes

That's honestly the best way to watch Baseball and Soccer.

I use bad dubbed anime on Netflix/Amazon to watch/listen to while grinding in RPGs and have for years. Baseball and Pokémon raising also go hand in hand. I beat a great deal of FFTA when the Red Sox were in the ALCS in 2003 and a ton of pokémon breeding during their championship run.

daveo42

Banned

I tend to like Football at the stadium more for the experience. You do get more by sitting at home, but every game I've gone to I've been really invested in everything happening on the field. At home it might play in the background, even during playoffs.

Baseball for me has always been that kind of experience. You tend to make a day of going to the park and hanging out with some friends while watching a game. It does lend itself to a better experience because it is usually during the summer and it tends to be fairly cheap and can be done on short notice. This reminds me that I haven't been to a baseball game in ages, which is the only way I can watch baseball.

The only time I actively watched sports was on the field or on the bench when I played Soccer in high school. I showed up for a few football games but that wasn't really about the game itself.

College football is better live because of the atmosphere but I'd rather watch an NFL game at home than go to the stadium. Baseball is better in-person; watching games on television should be considered a form of torture. Basketball is kind of a wash, same for MLS soccer although the national team is better live. Can't speak for hockey because I don't care about it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
College football is better live because of the atmosphere but I'd rather watch an NFL game at home than go to the stadium. Baseball is better in-person; watching games on television should be considered a form of torture. Basketball is kind of a wash, same for MLS soccer although the national team is better live. Can't speak for hockey because I don't care about it.

MLS is great live, you just have to be a fan of the right team. Some have better supporters than others.

MLS is great live, you just have to be a fan of the right team. Some have better supporters than others.

I don't live far from Crew stadium, and I know tickets are pretty cheap, but for some reason I've never been to a game. Might have to change that this summer...

bigkrev

I go to 2 Philadelphia Union games a year, but would never watch them on TV. I find soccer on TV really boring.

LOLDSFAN

Woman's Volleyball counts as a sport, right?

tumblr_mqupf4a6xI1qczbido1_r1_500.gif

Anyone else thought GT was total garbage and not really interested in this "new" series of DBZ either?

We really don't know anything about this new series to be excited about.

Literally nothing has been confirmed about its details other than being after Buu, and I'm always cautious whenever Toei is in charge.

We really don't know anything about this new series to be excited about.

Literally nothing has been confirmed about its details other than being after Buu, and I'm always cautious whenever Toei is in charge.

I am looking at the japanese dub and my god the VA for Goku is terrible
From what I see I am not sure I will like it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I heard Toriyama will have some involvement in Super so that should make it half-way decent.
Then again, modern Toei is the worst.

On Goku's Japanese voice. It works better for Kid Goku back in Dragon Ball, but Adult Goku it is unfitting. It also doesn't help that she's 78 years old now. I am impressed she could still pull off the "FREEZA!" scream.

I heard Toriyama will have some involvement in Super so that should make it half-way decent.
Then again, modern Toei is the worst.

On Goku's Japanese voice. It works better for Kid Goku back in Dragon Ball, but Adult Goku it is unfitting. It also doesn't help that she's 78 years old now. I am impressed she could still pull off the "FREEZA!" scream.

Yeah, kid Goku is fine but for adult Goku it feels so out of place and jarring.
But yeah gotta give her credit that scream was awesome.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Dodoria goes after Krillin and Gohan but ends up finding a very angry Vegeta instead, Satsuki launches her assault on the Kansai region while Ryuko is convinced to fight against Satsuki's war effort by an expelled student, Kirito tries to figure out who Death Gun is and in the meantime meets Sinon in the finals because why not, Kagome graduates from middle school before diving headlong into the final boss encounter as the team goes after Naraku's cloud of miasma, Konoha is in a state of emergency under a blackout, Spandam and Robin have arrived on the Bridge of Hesitation while Franky tries to get past Rob Lucci and Kaku unleashes his giraffe powers on Zoro, and finally Mikasa flashes back to that time she was rescued by a crazy person.

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 21 - Protect the Dragon Balls! The Namekians' All-Out Attack!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 22 - Dodoria's Terrifying Chase! A Truth Revealed to Vegeta!
12:30 - KILL la KILL - 13 - Crazy for You
1:00 - Sword Art Online II - 6 - Showdown in the Wilderness
1:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act - 21 - Inside Naraku
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 65 - Lockdown of Darkness
2:30 - One Piece - 299 - Fierce Sword Attacks! Zoro vs. Kaku, Powerful Sword Fighting Showdown!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 6 - The World the Girl Saw: The Struggle for Trost, Part 2

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Kagome graduates from middle school"

"middle school"

"MIDDLE school"

WUT. She looked a few years older than that (like, 16 at the LEAST). You're telling me she's about FOURTEEN?!

........................................So how long until Inuyasha is on To Catch a Predator??

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

"middle school"

"MIDDLE school"

WUT. She looked a few years older than that (like, 16 at the LEAST). You're telling me she's about FOURTEEN?!

........................................So how long until Inuyasha is on To Catch a Predator??

She's 15.

More specifically, episode 1 of Inuyasha takes place on her 15th birthday.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

"middle school"

"MIDDLE school"

He's a half demon from an era where much younger girls were sold off to be "brides" on the reg.

"middle school"

"MIDDLE school"

They mention all the time Kagome is in middle school <___<

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
She's 15.
Ah, okay. Wiki was telling me most students in Japan enter high school at age 15.

.............granted, that number is still rather low.....

They mention all the time Kagome is in middle school <___<
No, they mention Kikyo all the time. But I'm starting to remember she was taking her enterance exam for high school a few weeks back, when I was laughing at everyone being mad at the kiss-block.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My New 3DS XL has probably awakened to its final form this weekend, I've got a 128 GB Mirco SD card on the way. I'm down to less than half a gig on my 64.

I'll be shocked, Legit Shook even, if I ever need a 256.

Ponn

Banned
Toonami or Archer Nocturnal Missions, Toonami or Nocturnal Missions??hmmmmm Archer would totally love Kill la Kill

Family Guy has been on for 5 minutes and Shard hasn't posted his weekly reminder of how much he dislikes it. Quick, somebody make sure he's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom