• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
We already lost because we're watching it.

Nah...we just hate ourselves. Losing to insanity over SAO means you gone from hating yourself to liking the show.
Or your a young teen.

Btw...ya'll should get out to free comic book day. Kodansha had a free sampler which included the new manga from Hiroya Oku (guy who did Gantz), AoT chapter one, and Your Lie in April. Plus, who can turn down some free comics?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Trying to remember where I stopped reading Gantz. It seriously didn't help where one arc kept pulling the "NOPE, THIS IS MY SUPER TOTALLY REAAALLLL FORM!!" crap multiple times.

I tried watching the anime, but the art style turned me off because it was just too different (& colorful) compared to the manga. Like, it was trying to keep the manga's mood/tone, but it kind of clashed with the less realistic and brighter artwork.

daveo42

Banned
The final arc goes from insanity to absolute garbage really really fast. The first two major arcs were actually really good
though the bit about vampires made zero sense and never went anywhere.

Even for all the little nit-picks in SAO2 that are in every single episode because it's SAO so of course they're there, I still am enjoying it more than Shippuden or Final Act.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Even for all the little nit-picks in SAO2 that are in every single episode because it's SAO so of course they're there, I still am enjoying it more than Shippuden or Final Act.
I probably would've dropped Final Act a month ago if it wasn't for the group watch & just getting this over with. At least with SAO, it's entertaining for how it gets stuff wrong & at least offers up a discussion as to WHY it's not good.

Final Act, to me, just has been boring and I feel like the more it goes on, the less I have to say about it when we watch it. Doesn't help it tries to be really fast at times and I wasn't really a fan of the original.

I'll take entertainingly bad over boringly average any day since the former will actually leave some kind of impact on me.

The original InuYasha worked because it was almost a case-of-the-week show and its character interactions were a lot of fun. Final Act loses a lot of that by putting the plot front and center, and I think the quick pacing highlights some of the issues with the storytelling. It's kind of like InuYasha if you took out everything that made InuYasha work.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The original InuYasha worked because it was almost a case-of-the-week show and its character interactions were a lot of fun. Final Act loses a lot of that by putting the plot front and center, and I think the quick pacing highlights some of the issues with the storytelling. It's kind of like InuYasha if you took out everything that made InuYasha work.

It's just that the pacing runs rampant over pretty much everything, every emotional beat, the fights, the dialogue, everything. A three episode arc with a twist at the end turns into one episode that looses that sense of mystery. If the pacing was similar to the original all the problems would go away.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I will admit when it tried having some comedic episodes, it did work (I remember laughing at the one where they go to a mountain & everyone gets drunk), but it was rather repetitive when it felt like a cookie cutter of "go to village, oh noes demon, didn't have a shard, let's go on". Granted, like you said, case-of-the-week, but it's more noticable and annoying because of how long the series is, which is part of the reason why I started to stay away from franchises like Naruto, Bleach, etc. which just feel like they never end.

One Piece is probably the only long-running series I care about, & even then, it took me quite a few years to get back into it because as a teen, Skypiea wasn't all that interesting to me. & even now, there are times where I do wish things would just get on already.

I will admit when it tried having some comedic episodes, it did work (I remember laughing at the one where they go to a mountain & everyone gets drunk), but it was rather repetitive when it felt like a cookie cutter of "go to village, oh noes demon, didn't have a shard, let's go on". Granted, like you said, case-of-the-week, but it's more noticable and annoying because of how long the series is, which is part of the reason why I started to stay away from franchises like Naruto, Bleach, etc. which just feel like they never end.

One Piece is probably the only long-running series I care about, & even then, it took me quite a few years to get back into it because as a teen, Skypiea wasn't all that interesting to me.

Holy shit are you my twin? that is the exact same reason why I shifted away from long running anime's.
I was just done with Dragon Ball and DBZ and still keeping up with Yu Yu Hakusho and the show just got repetitive to me for the reasons you pointed out.

Basically I was burned out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy shit are you my twin? that is the exact same reason why I shifted away from long running anime's.
I was just done with Dragon Ball and DBZ and still keeping up with Yu Yu Hakusho and the show just got repetitive to me for the reasons you pointed out.

Basically I was burned out.
Yeah, I think it was One Piece (though I got into that first because 4Kids & Fox), Naruto, Bleach, & Inuyasha all at the same time (also Keroro Gunso but that very rarely had a connecting plot). As I was getting older, I was just losing interest. Bleach because of that Bound arc, Naruto because all the filler and I was starting to find characters annoying, Inuyasha I only finished because my friend wanted me to record it for him, & One Piece was cancelled in the middle of Skypiea and I didn't have the desire to find other means of watching it.

It was then that I was starting to get into shorter anime, around 12 to 24 episodes. I will say though that FMA (both the original & Brotherhood) are rather good lengths because of how they handle pacing. I very rarely (especially Brotherhood) felt like there was no point to the episode happening. & even the filler (like that one episode with Havoc meeting Armstrong's younger sister) was still really funny.

Yeah, I think it was One Piece (though I got into that first because 4Kids & Fox), Naruto, Bleach, & Inuyasha all at the same time (also Keroro Gunso but that very rarely had a connecting plot). As I was getting older, I was just losing interest. Bleach because of that Bound arc, Naruto because all the filler and I was starting to find characters annoying, Inuyasha I only finished because my friend wanted me to record it for him, & One Piece was cancelled in the middle of Skypiea and I didn't have the desire to find other means of watching it.

It was then that I was starting to get into shorter anime, around 12 to 24 episodes. I will say though that FMA (both the original & Brotherhood) are rather good lengths because of how they handle pacing. I very rarely (especially Brotherhood) felt like there was no point to the episode happening. & even the filler (like that one episode with Havoc meeting Armstrong's younger sister) was still really funny.

FMA was one of few anime's I actually bought. Well worth the money.
The packages are nice as they come with trading cards and a meaty booklet with art in them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

In the case of FMA, that's what happens when you are already finished with the story. It allows for proper pacing because you don't have to drag things out.

In the case of FMA, that's what happens when you are already finished with the story. It allows for proper pacing because you don't have to drag things out.

I thought Brotherhood ended like the same week the manga did which was why the final battle is longer in the anime.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I thought Brotherhood ended like the same week the manga did which was why the final battle is longer in the anime.

It did, but the final battle being longer in the anime isn't too noticeable. Outside the first few episodes the pacing is as close to perfect as you can get.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Feels weird being one of the only guys here that doesn't care for sports at all.

daveo42

Banned
Feels weird being one of the only guys here that doesn't care for sports at all.

I'm not a big fan of any sport either, though seeing any sport live in about a million times better than ever watching it on TV. I can get excited about sportsball if I'm actually there, but sitting at home watching seems like a general waste of time that could be spent doing literally anything else.

Puruzi

Banned
I'm not a big fan of any sport either, though seeing any sport live in about a million times better than ever watching it on TV. I can get excited about sportsball if I'm actually there, but sitting at home watching seems like a general waste of time that could be spent doing literally anything else.

This. I have fun if i'm actually there watching the sport, but if i'm watching it on TV I get insanely bored

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom