• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Vegeta pursues the remaining dragon balls to cockblock Frieza, Ryuko chases after the Elite Four's raid squadrons in the West, Kazuto finds out that using the name Kirito in GGO has completely blown his cover back in the real world BECAUSE HE'S A FUCKING MORON, Naraku continues to troll the group with illusions and the evil influence of Magatsuhi, the Leaf ninja continue to battle against the resurrected guardian ninja, Zoro goes full demon in the fierce finale of his battle with Kaku in the 300th episode of One Piece, and Mikasa loses her cool before a rogue Titan appears on the scene.

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 22 - Dodoria's Terrifying Chase! A Truth Revealed to Vegeta!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 23 - Vegeta's Covert Maneuvers! A Tragic Assault on the Namekians!
12:30 - KILL la KILL - 14 - Ride Like the Wind
1:00 - Sword Art Online II - 7 - Crimson Memories
1:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act - 22 - Naraku: The Trap of Darkness
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 66 - Revived Souls
2:30 - One Piece - 300 - Demon God Zoro! An Incarnation of Asura Born From Fighting Spirit!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 7 - Small Blade: The Struggle for Trost, Part 3

wow 300 episodes of one piece

i can feel we're getting close to endgame

original.gif

Real talk, assuming both air to completion on Toonami, we're close to Naruto Shippuden ending then we are to One Piece ending, heck we're closer to One Piece ending then all other currently airing series combined heck we're closer to all other series combined ending before One Piece

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Real talk, assuming both air to completion on Toonami, we're close to Naruto Shippuden ending then we are to One Piece ending, heck we're closer to One Piece ending then all other currently airing series combined

That says everything.

Crocodile

I'm going to hold out hope that a Part I & II dub might still happen. Maybe. You gotta believe!

Part 3 basically tells you all you need to know about Parts 1 and 2 to know what's happening in Part 3.

I still think watching Part I and II beforehand make Part III better. Also you miss out on Joesph in his prime :(

I dont think people will have the same feeling of originality towards stands like they did in Japan. Stands were super original, but when it showed up around here and when Jojo started to get popular, the idea of a super ghost behind you protecting you with super powers has already been done with Persona and other media that made its way to the west before Jojo.

Part 2 seems very popular cause everyone loves Joseph Joestar, and who can blame them.

There's no question Joesph Joestar is the best character in Part I-III but I think you are seriously undervaluing the appeal and influences of Stands. The popularity of stuff like Persona in the modern day is somewhat evident of that (though a lot of people may not realize that stuff like Persona was taken from Jojo and might think its the other way around). I think it was Jexhius who wrote a pretty long post about why Stands are one of the best "power systems" in Shonen and honestly, there were no lies detected in that post.

I think it's silly to make statements like "part 2 is more popular then part 3 in the US" with no real evidence to back that up. Part 3 after all has ZA WARUDO which even if you've never seen Jojo people know of as that steam roller combo meme gif thing.

This feels like a nonsense sentence

More of a "my brain don't work right cause I've gotten 5 hours of sleep in the past 2 days" comment

Is JoJo really too risky of a brand in North America that Warner wants to "test the waters" with a sub-only dvd release?

I know it's not the most popular anime on Crunchyroll or anything, but considering all the other generic anime that get a full dub + blu-ray, this just seems like a slap in the face.

Grexeno

Is JoJo really too risky of a brand in North America that Warner wants to "test the waters" with a sub-only dvd release?

I know it's not the most popular anime on Crunchyroll or anything, but considering all the other generic anime that get a full dub + blu-ray, this just seems like a slap in the face.
It really shouldn't, which is why I think they're just lazily moving to Part 3 immediately for dub and Blu-Ray purposes.

Didn't someone say wb paid to have "accurate subs" where they wouldn't have to change the names to dance around the fact 90% of the characters names are copy righted? Or was that just speculation? If thats the case perhaps the reason JJBA is sub only is because its easier to pay/get around the issue with Japanese subs saying names like "ac/dc" or "cars" but having English va say them is tougher so they said "f it"

Grexeno

Didn't someone say wb paid to have "accurate subs" where they wouldn't have to change the names to dance around the fact 90% of the characters names are copy righted? Or was that just speculation? If thats the case perhaps the reason JJBA is sub only is because its easier to pay/get around the issue with Japanese subs saying names like "ac/dc" or "cars" but having English va say them is tougher so they said "f it"
That was just speculation.

BatDan

I'm sure WB has the money to pay for every name.
They just don't want to considering it's a niche series outside of Japan.

We'll have to deal with Centerfold instead of J. Geil and Soul Sacrifice instead of Devo the Cursed, and Zenyatta & Mondatta instead of Oingo & Boingo. Though Dan of Steel is a pretty funny translation of Steely Dan.

Seda

reminder

the only outright clue we have of any upcoming show announcement is

"We have a couple acquisitions we are really excited about, shows that people will know"

(this was in a podcast after SAO-II was announced)

maybe sailor moon

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At the very least, SOME of the name changes make sense. For example, Centerfold is a song by J. Geil, so the reference is kept. Or Vanilla Ice was changed to "Cool Ice", possibly a reference to the movie "Cool as Ice" starring Vanilla Ice.

Plus the name changes used in All-Star Battle were approved by the mangaka himself (I recall hearing he was NOT pleased with some of the names that Viz &/or Capcom used instead, so Namco went to him to make sure he was totally okay with the new names), so at least they'll be consistant name changes possibly.

.......I still find it silly Polnareff got changed to "Eiffel", considering Capcom was able to keep it in the PS360 re-release.

BatDan

At the very least, SOME of the name changes make sense. For example, Centerfold is a song by J. Geil, so the reference is kept. Or Vanilla Ice was changed to "Cool Ice", possibly a reference to the movie "Cool as Ice" starring Vanilla Ice.

Plus the name changes used in All-Star Battle were approved by the mangaka himself (I recall hearing he was NOT pleased with some of the names that Viz &/or Capcom used instead, so Namco went to him to make sure he was totally okay with the new names), so at least they'll be consistant name changes possibly.

.......I still find it silly Polnareff got changed to "Eiffel", considering Capcom was able to keep it in the PS360 re-release.

And the Crunchyroll subs call him Polnareff. No idea why the game had to change it.

Interesting thing is that the old Stardust Crusaders OVA didn't change J. Geil's name for the English dub. No idea what changed now.

Raxus

It's especially weird when watching subs when you hear the name clearly and it doesn't match the subs.

Steely Dan being one example (changed to Dan of Steel)
Wait, isn't JoJo popular?

In Japan? Hell yeah, not sure about America considering the manga JUST got brought over.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's Polnareff in the Crunchyroll subs as well.
That just adds to the silliness of the change.

I also don't understand the reasoning of having to change "Echoes" & "Weather Report" to "Reverb" & "Weather Forecast". Like, who was Namco afraid was going to use them over such broad names? At least "Kiss" to "Smack" made sense since one would assume Kiss = band.

Edit: Oh, Weather Report is the name of a jazz band. But come on, how many people would hear that phrase & think "OH THE BAND" instead of "Oh, the part of the news that tells me what outside is going to be like tomorrow"

It's especially weird when watching subs when you hear the name clearly and it doesn't match the subs.

Steely Dan being one example (changed to Dan of Steel)
Even more so in All-Star Battle. For example:

Character: "STICKY FINGERS!!"

Subtitles: "Zipper Man!!"

BatDan

Even more so in All-Star Battle. For example:

Character: "STICKY FINGERS!!"

Subtitles: "Zipper Man!!"

The stand Crazy Diamond was changed to Shining Diamond. But at one point they didn't change it in the subtitles. Also, the song is called "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" so I don't see why using a different word matters.

Also, character says "GOLD EXPERIENCE" but subtitles say "Golden Wind"
Interesting thing to note about that. There's a JoJo game on PS2 (based on Part 5) that Capcom was actually going to release in the West. But Prince and his lawyers said "No" (it's likely the other references too but Prince is the most protective of his copyright)

Grexeno

Interesting thing to note about that. There's a JoJo game on PS2 (based on Part 5) that Capcom was actually going to release in the West. But Prince and his lawyers said "No" (it's likely the other references too but Prince is the most protective of his copyright)
You see, this is why the series hasn't made it over here.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Viz brought over the manga from 2005 to 2010, plus Capcom released the fighter based on Part 3 on PS1 & Dreamcast in 2000 (& then again digitally on PS360), and the 1993 OVA (which then got a 7-episode prequel in 2001) were dubbed & released in 2003 & 2004. So early to mid 2000s is when Part 3 started to grow popularity here in the US. Though would't be until the newer anime that people started getting into the other parts (myself included).

The stand Crazy Diamond was changed to Shining Diamond. But at one point they didn't change it in the subtitles. Also, the song is called "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" so I don't see why using a different word matters.

Also, character says "GOLD EXPERIENCE" but subtitles say "Golden Wind"
Haha, yeah, I remember seeing that in the Story Mode. I think one or two names were kept intact in the EU version. "Killer Queen" I think was kept while it was "Deadly Queen" here. Funny enough, "Bites The Dust" was changed to "Bite the Dust", which is what it sounds like the character is saying.

Strangely, they changed the "Gold Experience", but kept ANOTHER Prince reference, "Soft & Wet".

As for the Part 5 PS2 game, my understanding was that Araki was still a bit annoyed at Viz for the changes in the Part 3 manga & didn't want to change any of the names, which meant possible lawsuits (like from Prince, as you mentioned).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom