• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

as far as i know, wtk is an enthusiast who pays particular mind to anime news regarding physical releases, licensing and such. He might just be going off retail listings.

says he got the cover from warner directly though

Grexeno

This still doesn't mean that Viz isn't holding onto the dub/Blu-Ray announcement for later. Companies can be stupid about that stuff.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just heard the JoJo news. That stinks...
Another dead Toonami dream like Hunter x Hunter.

wwm0nkey

as far as i know, wtk is an enthusiast who pays particular mind to anime news regarding physical releases, licensing and such. He might just be going off retail listings.

says he got the cover from warner directly though

hmmmm well the fact he got the cover straight from them makes me think he might also know more about it.

The series is finally starting to boom over here, hope they dont mess it up.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So far, the listings on Amazon & RightStuf are only for DVD & only mention the subs (which I still wonder if it'll just copy/paste the Crunchyroll subs).

MAYBE we'll get confirmation soon enough (I would imagine Viz would announce SOMETHING since they mainly have the manga rights & rights to merchandise based on the anime).

Also, didn't someone here or in one of the Jojo threads mention Part 2 was considered more popular here in the US than in Japan? I find that odd they wouldn't dub one of the parts that was more popular in the English speaking regions.

& damn, Japan is getting a Blu-Ray set of Mamoru Hosoda's movies (Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, & Wolf Children).

Edit: I guess they could also strangely just focus on dubbing Part 3 since that's the one most American fans are familiar with thanks to the manga & OVA being brought over here (I didn't even know of the fact there were other parts until years later after high school).

Grexeno

Also, didn't someone here or in one of the Jojo threads mention Part 2 was considered more popular here in the US than in Japan? I find that odd they wouldn't dub one of the parts that was more popular in the English speaking regions.
I have no idea where he gets this from, outside of incorrectly extrapolating based on Internet opinions.

Remember, JoJo in Parts 1 & 2 is completely different from how it is Part 3 on, and Part 3 and on defines the series.

ckohler

I'm looking forward to toonami tonight. Think I'll order pizza...maybe get some beer. We'll see.

Pizza does sound good. I think I'll do the same.

Everyone prepare your tracksuits for the invasion tonight. In the glory of Lady Satsuki!

LMPKlfW.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now how long until we hear of Part 3 getting released here? Think they'll do it first half, then second half, then later a complete collection of all 50+ episodes?

Jarate

Banned
So far, the listings on Amazon & RightStuf are only for DVD & only mention the subs (which I still wonder if it'll just copy/paste the Crunchyroll subs).

MAYBE we'll get confirmation soon enough (I would imagine Viz would announce SOMETHING since they mainly have the manga rights & rights to merchandise based on the anime).

& damn, Japan is getting a Blu-Ray set of Mamoru Hosoda's movies (Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, & Wolf Children).

Edit: I guess they could also strangely just focus on dubbing Part 3 since that's the one most American fans are familiar with thanks to the manga & OVA being brought over here (I didn't even know of the fact there were other parts until years later after high school).

Part 2 is more popular then part 3 in the west while, while part 3 is more popular in Japan then part 2

Im waiting for season 2 to finish up so I can have a giant watching day.

Also, I doubt they'd release a sub only release, you'd have to pay a lot of money for the liscense and your significantly cutting the amount of possible income you can gain from the show proably being aired on TV/sales from people who hate subs

Jarate

Banned
I really don't know where Part 2 being more popular in the west than Part 3 is coming from.

I doubt there's a general study that can be done on the popularity of a release in which people havent had major access too, so I dont really have numbers, but among every human interaction thatr ive had among Jojo fans, awlmost everyone said they liked part 2 more then part 3. Part 3 maybe more popular among a casual audience (WRYYYYYY was a meme at one point and the Jojo Fighting game is still a legend) but I think that like 80% of people ive talked to among many different anime levels of fandom prefer part 2 to part 3

Grexeno

I'm pretty positive that once exposed to a mainstream audience like Toonami we would see Part 3 as much more popular than Part 2.

There is a reason Stands and not Hamon define JoJo.

Jarate

Banned
I'm pretty positive that once exposed to a mainstream audience like Toonami we would see Part 3 as much more popular than Part 2.

There is a reason Stands and not Hamon define JoJo.

I dont think people will have the same feeling of originality towards stands like they did in Japan. Stands were super original, but when it showed up around here and when Jojo started to get popular, the idea of a super ghost behind you protecting you with super powers has already been done with Persona and other media that made its way to the west before Jojo.

Part 2 seems very popular cause everyone loves Joseph Joestar, and who can blame them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm kind of hoping maybe Toonami will get Part 3, then they can advertise Season 1 on DVD as the prequel (if it's sub only). Plus being 50ish episodes, it'd make for a good series that'd last a year, but isn't exactly long-running like OP, Shippuden, & DBZ Kai.

But yes, Part 3 is usually the more popular part among the US because that was the one (hell, probably the ONLY one) that got exposure here via the manga, OVA, and the Capcom fighter among the '90s/early 2000s. Though I kind of agree with Jarate that among the fans who have seen/read the other parts, Part 2 tends to be more popular (heck, that & Part 4 are my favorites).

Jarate

Banned
and hell Old Joseph is still probably one of my favorite characters in part 3

im gonna wait for part 4 to get animated before I step into that, but im super hype for it

Jarate

Banned
also, since the box looks like the FOTNS release, it'll prolly be sub only like that was

BRING FIST OF THE NORTH STAR TO TOONAMI

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wish the older FotNS movie could be shown. It's a great movie to watch with your brain turned off & remind yourself how violent older anime could get at times.

Bring splatoon to toonami
We'll call it.....

\o-o\

SPLATOONAMI.

Jarate

Banned
I wish the older FotNS movie could be shown. It's a great movie to watch with your brain turned off & remind yourself how violent older anime could get at times.

We'll call it.....

\o-o\

SPLATOONAMI.

Fist of the North Star is the ultimate *Turn off your brain and watch people exlpode" anime for the first 15 or so episodes, and then it turns into MANLY FEELS for the next part

seriously, the Manly Tears that are shed in Fist of the North Star would make it a great group watch

we should set up a friday night youtube sync Neogaf Toonami show with a bunch of shows that will never air on Toonami. Im sure there's plenty of free stuff on Youtube that we can air

LET'S GET THOSE RECOMMENDATIONS

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair this is the SECOND big sub only US DVD release of a big series this year.

Though the other one has an AMAZING cover.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's a lot like Miyazaki doing a Gundam show visually!

Most of the suit design is rubbish though!

Storywise the closest Gundam production to a Ghibli film is 0080, which could have been written by Miyazaki.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
While I am a major dub fan in many ways being DVD only is even worse. They do it just to prevent reverse importation.

While I am a major dub fan in many ways being DVD only is even worse. They do it just to prevent reverse importation.

The whole situation is just terrible, dvd/sub only in 2015 is just a joke and puts people like us in the no win situation of

1) we buy it anyways meaning they'll think it's okay to keep doing this or will make us pay more/again for the bluray/dub release

or

2) we don't buy it, they think series is unprofitable and don't bother to release the rest/go back and dub it later

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ah crap, I didn't think of the fact that DVD only = harder to import. Still, a 2015 release to ONLY be on DVD is almost unheard of...

I still have to see when I graduate. I transferred from community to public college in Fall 2013, & after the credits that carried over, I was one semester short of being a junior. There's a few classes that I didn't pass, so I don't know if I have enough hours to qualify for graduation. Probably will ask when I go in to talk about seeing if they can help me with a part-time job, possibly at the college, over the summer while I take Calculus & a second class I need to register for to have financial aid cover it. Edit: Welp, taking "Intro to Statistics" since it's required for a Computer Science major.

It doesn't help because I started public college so late (I had three years of community to get the "basics" taken care of, then when I transferred, I could focus on a major), I'm still gonna have to go for a few years to actually graduate with a major/minor.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Found out my final grades for the semester. B for Japanese (despite doing rather bad on the final) & "Survey of Mass Media" & a PERFECT score on my "Writing for Mass Media" final, ending with an A-.

Hopefully, I can get my GPA bumped up a bit more so I can qualify to study abroad in Japan next year. I BARELY don't qualify (my GPA is 2.47. You need 2.5 or higher), so trying harder to make sure I do well.

Edit: Hmm, statistics class is Noon to 2 p.m. Hopefully won't miss any E3 press conferences, mainly Nintendo's.

Regiruler

Just Pikmin 3
Which is a shame as there's a lot they could have looked at. Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World

Honoji Sentai KillKillGer!
Still upset they didn't review Bayo 2. AS was the only channel that actually ran the commercial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom