• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May16| The Ministry of Silly Laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Man, I have a shit ton of shows to catch up on when I get back, like 2 episodes of JoJo, MHA, phoenix wright, and I'm gonna start attack on train and whatever other weeb shit. That along with Silicon Valley, and Game of Thrones is a lot bullshit to watch

Mizerman

kuma is... not good.

and interesting.

latest

Jarate

Banned
It can't be any worse then the guy I knew IRL who defended my little sister can't be this cute, because the girl really wanted it.

I was disgusted and horrified.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It can't be any worse then the guy I knew IRL who defended my little sister can't be this cute, because the girl really wanted it.

Did...uh...he have an actual sister? Either way, noooopppeeee.

Also, I have no idea what Kumamiko is.....except Kuma means bear so maybe it stars Teddie from Persona 4 teaming up with Kuma from Tekken, I don't know.

TUSR

Banned
Also, I have no idea what Kumamiko is.....except Kuma means bear so maybe it stars Teddie from Persona 4 teaming up with Kuma from Tekken, I don't know.

they make jokes about a bear having sex with a 14 year old girl

this show triggered me

Jarate

Banned
I used to wonder who those awful people who would defend ganergate are and he is the single biggest definition of one. I've never seen a worse or more disgusting human being in my life.

Catching up on Dimension W and I continue to feel like I'm in bizarro world reading this threads general opinion on it. I'm not going to say the show is amazing or anything like that but other then being perhaps a tad faster pace then would be ideal I think the show is really solid. The sci-fi world is interesting and the character actions and motivations are well established/their back story perfectly explain their actions up to that point. I don't find any of the sci fi jargon to be confusing or hard to follow if anything the series is rather simplistic in it's terms compared to other sci-fi series. I wonder if sci-fi shows like GitS (which I remember feeling lost a lot watching it first time with Toonami GAF group watch) and Dimension W just aren't good for the environment in which we watch anime together.

Jarate

Banned
Catching up on Dimension W and I continue to feel like I'm in bizarro world reading this threads general opinion on it. I'm not going to say the show is amazing or anything like that but other then being perhaps a tad faster pace then would be ideal I think the show is really solid. The sci-fi world is interesting and the character actions and motivations are well established/their back story perfectly explain their actions up to that point. I don't find any of the sci fi jargon to be confusing or hard to follow if anything the series is rather simplistic in it's terms compared to other sci-fi series. I wonder if sci-fi shows like GitS (which I remember feeling lost a lot watching it first time with Toonami GAF group watch) and Dimension W just aren't good for the environment in which we watch anime together.

We liked Space Dandy ;)

I think the group watch hurts Dimension W a lot in regards to understanding stuff going on, along with the fast pace.

I think the universe is cool, I really like the concept of Dimension W and everything along with that, I just don't really like kyoma and jenny that much. I think Looser was a more enthralling character tbh so far

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is why I wonder if this is more just a bad adaptation omitting details & taking things too fast instead of being a "bad" anime in general. If I took the time to read the manga, maybe I would enjoy it more than the anime because all I hear is how many chapters they tried to cram into 12 episodes, which makes me feel, as previously stated, if they took their time spreading it into 24 to 26 episodes, maybe it would've fixed the biggest problem it's had these last few episodes, the pacing and ton of exposition going on.

Again, I feel like it's comparable to Inuyasha Final Act, where it was more of the fact they were trying to finish up adapting the manga and just wanted to get it over with, so they just took everything they could into 24-ish episodes instead of the slower pace the original series had. Except here, there's even LESS episodes to work with.

I'm sure I've made the above statements a few times over the last few weeks, but I feel like there's a good show hidden in here, & maybe I just need to read the manga to get that experience......or maybe Loser should've been the main character or had more screen time, I don't know.

This is why I wonder if this is more just a bad adaptation omitting details & taking things too fast instead of being a "bad" anime in general. If I took the time to read the manga, maybe I would enjoy it more than the anime because all I hear is how many chapters they tried to cram into 12 episodes, which makes me feel, as previously stated, if they took their time spreading it into 24 to 26 episodes, maybe it would've fixed the biggest problem it's had these last few episodes, the pacing and ton of exposition going on.

Again, I feel like it's comparable to Inuyasha Final Act, where it was more of the fact they were trying to finish up adapting the manga and just wanted to get it over with, so they just took everything they could into 24-ish episodes instead of the slower pace the original series had. Except here, there's even LESS episodes to work with.

I'm sure I've made the above statements a few times over the last few weeks, but I feel like there's a good show hidden in here, & maybe I just need to read the manga to get that experience......or maybe Loser should've been the main character or had more screen time, I don't know.

I mean I don't hate the pacing, if it were 26 episodes it probably would have helped a bit but I don't think so much from the main plot was cut where it's impossible to follow.

Edit: Just watched episode 10, it was truly the first time I felt the anime hit Final Act levels of being too fast. It mostly hurt because the rival collectors who turned into antagonist weren't established well before this point.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I do agree trying to group watch it might play a role as to why we might miss certain details. I honestly was able to understand the whole deal with episodes 4 & 5, but it took me a few minutes because I felt like in addition to keeping up with reading reactions, I needed time to soak in everything the show was trying to explain.

Honestly, it's when we reached Easter Island (episode 9 & ESPECIALLY this week's episode, 10) when the pacing just went full Final Act.

I don't get it. I've blocked out moat of the anime.

In the anime's filler ending the Emperor awakened the ultimate imperial arms which was a giant mech thing, the manga has the same plot point. AgK's anime ending was more of a trigun style ending where it had the basic outline for how the finale would go and changed things to make it work the anime's episode count.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Word of (obvious) advice. If you livestream a game and have your facecam turned on, don't start jerking off for the world to see.

... Pffffff

I think InuYasha: The Final Act at least had the benefit of communicating some pretty simple concepts with its massive exposition dumps.

TFA is truly the worst in terms of break neck pacing, say what you will about any random episode of Dimension W at worst they could be spread out to be two episodes maybe this weeks could have been three. TFA's first episode could have been a 13 episode season all to itself with how much they crammed into that thing.

ckohler

Okay guys, full disclosure. I've continued watching One Piece past what has aired on Toonami. I couldn't help myself. Sorry.

Anyway, I just finished the
Sabaody Archipelago
arc and all I can say is...

Ho...ly... shit. That was incredible.

I can't wait for the rest of Thriller Bark and what I just watched to air on Toonami. The reactions here will be epic. Also, it appears Toei can actually animate when they want to.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay guys, full disclosure. I've continued watching One Piece past what has aired on Toonami. I couldn't help myself. Sorry.

Sabaody Archipelago

I can't wait for the rest of Thriller Bark and what I just watched to air on Toonami. The reactions here will be epic. Also, it appears Toei can actually animate when they want to.

You ain't seen shit yet

Sabaody Archipelago

StickToTheSchedule.jpg

Grexeno

Sabaody Archipelago

NO

WE WILL ABIDE BY THE SCHEDULE

THAT IS WHAT DISCIPLINE IS ALL ABOUT

Mizerman

Sabaody Archipelago

You dare to insult the status quo by making decisions by yourself? Madness!

Raxus

It is a shame you skipped again. I live for fresh reactions to stuff like that.

Oh well. After Dimension W ends, assuming we get a good show. We will actually have a pretty strong line up of quality shonen for a while. Naruto will actually be going through another strong arc for some time.

It is a shame you skipped again. I live for fresh reactions to stuff like that.

Oh well. After Dimension W ends, assuming we get a good show. We will actually have a pretty strong line up of quality shonen for a while. Naruto will actually be going through another strong arc for some time.

What is the next canon shippuden arc?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is there anyone in the thread that hasn't gotten past the current point of One Piece?
I'm pretty sure half of us are caught up with the manga.

Crocodile

Sci-Fi shows aren't at all inherently hard to follow or group watch. It's all dependent on how a show is written. Space Dandy was pretty easy to follow, even the more "unusual" episodes, because even though there were a few plot threads running through the entire show, each episode was well paced and relatively self-contained. GITS is a tricky group watch because its well paced and well-written but it is DENSE. If you aren't paying attention its easy to miss something important and all the Complex episodes build off each other. Dimension W is problematic because it just exposition dumps on you without mercy and because of the pacing, the show continuously feels like its skipping around. It feels a lot like spaghetti being thrown against a wall to see what sticks with major plot elements just coming out of nowhere. So not only is it super easy to get lost, the show isn't doing a good enough job of making you care enough to try to pay attention. The show didn't start that way either, I definitely think the pacing has gotten worse as the episodes have come along and the quality of the show has deteriorated as a result. I think this would have obviously been an ok/good show if like the pacing was even remotely acceptable because I feel its the pacing that is destroying the writing.

I need to drop Phoenix Wright and watch something else instead. I was thinking Attack on Trains, Swagamoto, or Ushio to Tora. I intend to watch them all once I have more free time.

Attack on Trains is good

Word of (obvious) advice. If you livestream a game and have your facecam turned on, don't start jerking off for the world to see.

... Pffffff

The fuq?

DarkSydePhil.

I have no idea who that is but I'm guessing I don't want to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom