• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May16| The Ministry of Silly Laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

My birthday was April 28th.

It's not like I wanted any presents or anything.

That's the spirit!

mine's the 7th, and I like it a lot. I get about halfway through the year between christmas, which means that my parents had enough time to kind of recoup their present ideas and get me new ones

Post 21st birthday, I stopped giving a shit about it. I may go out and get super drunk again, but im still not sure

Yeah, well, it's not like I'm doing anything special today. I did pig out at a Brazilian steakhouse last night, so...

All I did today was loop "Time" from Pink Floyd.

*Inuyasha gif

Jarate

Banned
That's the spirit!

Yeah, well, it's not like I'm doing anything special today. I did pig out at a Brazilian steakhouse last night, so...

*Inuyasha gif

Brazilian Steakhouse and Pink Floyd is a wonderful night

I havent listened to Dark Side of the Moon in like a year or two, it's one of the few dad rock albums i used to listen to constantly that still holds up super well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's the spirit!

*Inuyasha gif

OcDqmCn.gif

I'm worried about the people over in the anime thread.

The high dose of pure ANIME they're all getting watching Hundred might be doing irreversible damage to their brains.

Line_HTX

I like the FasFasFasFas, but how do you write the high pitched "REEEAALLLYY?" out from that guy?

I'm worried about the people over in the anime thread.

The high dose of pure ANIME they're all getting watching Hundred might be doing irreversible damage to their brains.

Looks like it's time for me to get in on this.

Fas

FasFasFas

zulux21

I always hated birthdays in early May.

eRVnmns.gif

I would have much rather had a birthday in early may instead of mid august as my birthday was always the sign that school was starting again.

absolute worst birthday is any birthday between like dec 1 - jan 15th as you always just get your birthday lumped in with christmas.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
We all need our own custom laughs. Mine can be:

Koh-koh-koh-koh!
ZOZOZOZOZOZO....I guess....

I would have much rather had a birthday in early may instead of mid august as my birthday was always the sign that school was starting again.

absolute worst birthday is any birthday between like dec 1 - jan 15th as you always just get your birthday lumped in with christmas.
My dad was born on Friday the 13th. Meanwhile, my mom's was Dec. 20th, & she used to tell me that yes, her b-day did get lumped in with Xmas.

So I've complied a list of a quite a few games from the Golden Week sale that have my interest. Most of them are Vita games as I expected but there are some PS3 titles as well.

For the Vita:

Ragnarok Odyessey ACE
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 3
Hatoful Boyfriend series
Denegeki Bunko: Fighting Climax (Might skip)
Databurst: Chronicle Saviour
Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (Also might skip)
Ar nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star

And for the PS3:

Yakuza 5 (It would be my first Yakuza game. Could I follow the story without major problems?)
Nobunaga’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence

There's also Suikoden II which is a PS1 classic.

If you kind folks on ToonamiGAF could provide some feedback on what you'd choose, I'd be grateful.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dengeki Bunko is fine for being a crossover fighter (got it on PS3), but it kind of sucks when you know Ignition exists and has more characters & stuff. At least Sega released it at a discount ($40 for PS3, $30 Vita at launch)

I want DariusBurst on PS4, but still too expensive for my tastes. This is the 2nd time it's been on sale, so I might wait for a deeper price cut.

Conception 2 was.................okay. Like, it had some interesting mechanics (like mixing your 3-person group members for certain attacks & such, angles to which you attack enemies creating a reward/risk system), but I stopped caring for the story about halfway through & it can feel rather grindy. Though strangely, I dug most of the battle themes, it just sucks one of them is hard to find because people only have the theme that was on the pre-order CD or the one in the demo which is blaannddd. I'd only play it (& on Vita which was the better version) if you REALLY don't have other RPGs to check out. It's not bad per say, but feels kind of average at the end of the day. Least there was some free DLC that let you fight Monokuma from Danganronpa. There's a demo on PSN that's basically the prologue & lets you transfer your data if you want to try it out first.

Suikoden 2 is pretty much considered a RPG classic from what I've heard.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only newish game I bought on the GW Sale was Hatoful Boyfriend.

Everything else was a PSP or PS1 game. Last year I bought so much that I actually saved money by buying a months worth of Plus, so this one was a disappointment by comparison.

The real GW sale was the new Nintendo Humble Bundle.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I only got Digital Devil Saga (yay, PS3 RPG backlog) & Senran Kagura Bon Appetit. I mostly had everything else I had interest in, save for DariusBurst as previously mentioned & gonna wait on Digimon Cyber Sleuth since Namco likes to discount their games often. If I didn't have Yakuza 4 from PS+ in my backlog, I might've gotten Y5.

Mizerman

Dengeki Bunko is fine for being a crossover fighter (got it on PS3), but it kind of sucks when you know Ignition exists and has more characters & stuff. At least Sega released it at a discount ($40 for PS3, $30 Vita at launch)

Yeah, that was a real morale killer.

I want DariusBurst on PS4, but still too expensive for my tastes. This is the 2nd time it's been on sale, so I might wait for a deeper price cut.

Conception 2 was.................okay. Like, it had some interesting mechanics (like mixing your 3-person group members for certain attacks & such, angles to which you attack enemies creating a reward/risk system), but I stopped caring for the story about halfway through & it can feel rather grindy. Though strangely, I dug most of the battle themes, it just sucks one of them is hard to find because people only have the theme that was on the pre-order CD or the one in the demo which is blaannddd. I'd only play it (& on Vita which was the better version) if you REALLY don't have other RPGs to check out. It's not bad per say, but feels kind of average at the end of the day. Least there was some free DLC that let you fight Monokuma from Danganronpa. There's a demo on PSN that's basically the prologue & lets you transfer your data if you want to try it out first.

Suikoden 2 is pretty much considered a RPG classic from what I've heard.

I'll pass on those Conception (again) and Dengeki Bunko then. Will likely plunge into Suikoden II as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I sometimes like to put the Conception 2 CD in my car just to listen to some of the tunes. I still get a laugh out of "CONGRAATUUUULLAATTIOOONNSSSSS....ON YOUR NEW ARRIIVVAAALLLL"

It's just a shame that unless a RPG is on a handheld, it's harder for me to actually start it, let alone finish it these days. Doesn't help because of my 3rd shift sleep schedule, I don't get the house to myself unless it's my nights off & everyone else is sleeping, so I can play in peace and not worry about stuff like being asked to help around the house or something else to break the immersion or make me feel like I'm under some kind of time limit.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So I've complied a list of a quite a few games from the Golden Week sale that have my interest. Most of them are Vita games as I expected but there are some PS3 titles as well.

If you kind folks on ToonamiGAF could provide some feedback on what you'd choose, I'd be grateful.

Well, here's some of my thoughts:

Ragnarok Odyessey ACE - It's the First Odyessey, plus more content. I feels very Game Arts X Ragnarok Online, so if you liked anything from those 2 universes, it's fun. I'm a person who loves breaking armor pieces, and battles with vastly different scales... and played RO with my brother for a few years, so I enjoy it quite a bit. Lots of goofy free DLC for costumes and classic music, too.

Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 3 - My brother loved Chronicles on 3DS. I've no experience with it past that.

Hatoful Boyfriend series - No idea.

Denegeki Bunko: Fighting Climax (Might skip) - It's a fun fighter. No idea what it's online would be like now, but I enjoy it's mechanics. Something about playing Akira in a 2D game that's not Virtua Fighter the animation feels great... For the record, the fact a sequel that we might never get came out doesn't bother me. It was fun to have an English version, and there's more than enough VS gameplay there to feel like the purchase was worth it, even if the sequel makes it over here.

I also have to give them props on subtitling EVERYTHING, rather than just victory quotes. Most games like this don't go that extra mile, and leave pre-battle quotes and such without any way to let you know what's going on. It helps make it easier to appreciate some of the more exotic stuff easier.

Databurst: Chronicle Saviour - Seems expensive, but it's got tons of stages and ships to try out. If you want to throw even MORE money at it, the DLC seems to be fanservice done right.

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (Also might skip) - "Congratulations! On your New LiIiIIIFE!" I liked the demo enough! Never got the full game, because too many RPGs in backlog already.

Ar nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star - Also no idea, I'm behind on many PS3 Era Anime RPGs...

PS3:

Yakuza 5 (It would be my first Yakuza game. Could I follow the story without major problems?) - The Yakuza games seem to do an OK job at pulling you into their current events. You might be better served getting an older one for cheaper first, depending.

Nobunaga’s Ambition: Sphere of Influence - All I know is that the Nobunaga thread people seem to dig it! Sounds like you can pour huge hours into it if you fall for it. I've never gotten into a Nobunaga's ambition yet, even after all these years...

Suikoden II - Suikoden II is like... one of my favorite games ever. It was one of those things I played over the Summer Break, and it pretty much defined that break. I don't think Final Fantasies were ever as meaningful and memorable to me, but I'm a big fan of good ensemble cast. And the castle's remix of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" at one point pretty much will always stick with me.

Some people say it might feel dated in the gameplay to them now. I... would just be happy to get all the crazy mini-games and nice features like castle-growing and the cooking minigame and plays and such, and think they're a nice tradeoff.

For the price, I'll recommend it. I got it on sale from Target like... a week after it came out for $20 for some reason, and I felt like I robbed the store, ha.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I want to slap whoever at Sega decided the pre-order CD for Dengeki Bunko should be ONE track made up of about 6 different songs. They somehow outdid Atlus on "how cheap can we make a pre-order CD?", especially when I want the BGM for the Nights stage as its own track because it's the best song in the game.

....................................speaking of games that include characters from Toonami/Adult Swim shows, think Toonami will review One Piece: Burning Blood?

I want to slap whoever at Sega decided the pre-order CD for Dengeki Bunko should be ONE track made up of about 6 different songs. They somehow outdid Atlus on "how cheap can we make a pre-order CD?", especially when I want the BGM for the Nights stage as its own track because it's the best song in the game.

....................................speaking of games that include characters from Toonami/Adult Swim shows, think Toonami will review One Piece: Burning Blood?

The only reason I think they wouldn't review Burning Blood is because of no English voice acting.

Line_HTX

Did you play as... Kirito with Leafa assist?

(。◕ ∀ ◕。)

Like 90% of shows would better with Kuwabara in them.

Or Hank Hill.

Yeah but like Kuwabara and Shirou are similar on a surface level with both of them being red heads who project swords made out of their energy and also do incredibly stupid things for morality reasons except Kuwabara is just an amazingly entertaining guy to watch and listen to whereas Shirou is the most wonderbread protag I've seen in a while.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is it me or have a lot of the thread titles been One Piece quotes or One Piece related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom