• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May16| The Ministry of Silly Laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But you are the non-canon member.

This is the worst filler arc of anything I've ever seen. It doesn't even deserve the Non-Canon™ seal of approval. It's just so boring and the most galling part about it is it doesn't have to be.

Tons of side characters.
An interesting mission to seal away a tailed beast before Orochimaru gets there.
An unconventional tale of love and forgiveness.
Kabuto wearing a mask and pulling it off dramatically.

It's damning when you think about it but the most interesting part of the arc was the Froggy Song. I'm having a hard time explaining just how poorly this arc was executed. I need a place to return to to gather my thoughts.

I feel like this entire Naruto filler arc could be summed up with that gif of Kabuto and a picture of the lake.

The latter because we've been at this same fucking lake for what feels like the past 20 episodes.

TUSR

Banned
Kabuto is just completely useless in the grand scheme of Naruto power levels. Which makes his filler even more difficult to watch.

Next week is the last filler episode for a few months though.

Jarate

Banned
WVW69jMCZUoSQl1q-h

WVW69jMEpcsxBXS3VC

LATER

Great use of color man

Jarate

Banned
Dimension Wumbo and waking up at 8 AM killed me

I'm digging HxH on my rewatch with the dub, allows me to focus on the animation more, which is pretty good

I missed Naruto and One Piece and Shampoo, will have to watch it today unless Overwatch eats my soul

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This is the worst filler arc of anything I've ever seen. It doesn't even deserve the Non-Canon™ seal of approval. It's just so boring and the most galling part about it is it doesn't have to be.

Tons of side characters.
An interesting mission to seal away a tailed beast before Orochimaru gets there.
An unconventional tale of love and forgiveness.
Kabuto wearing a mask and pulling it off dramatically.

It's damning when you think about it but the most interesting part of the arc was the Froggy Song. I'm having a hard time explaining just how poorly this arc was executed. I need a place to return to to gather my thoughts.

This Shippuden filler is basically a reverse Dimension W.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I counted you posting that Kabuto face reveal in this thread 5 times so far, and we're 8 days into this thread.

Make of that what you will.

I tried to get that on every page before TOONAMI started but wasn't able to post much this week so I dropped that plan.

HxH dub is okay but nothing special. Then I remember how the later arcs go and think to myself how the hell this voice cast is going to pull it off?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I keep telling myself to see what anime is on Amazon Prime Video, but then I keep forgetting.

Pretty sure the Gurren Lagann films are on there, so I need to show those (or at least the 2nd one) to my friend when we get the chance to hang out outside of work.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Prime is honestly pretty bad for anime right now. It's got the exclusive deal for Attack on Titans but with Trains. It's got...Raexephon. It's got...Kick Heart. It's got...a decent amount of Pokémon Advance.

TUSR

Banned
Prime is honestly pretty bad for anime right now. It's got the exclusive deal for Attack on Titans but with Trains. It's got...Raexephon. It's got...Kick Heart. It's got...a decent amount of Pokémon Advance.

None of which are on Canadian Amazon Prime.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
None of which are on Canadian Amazon Prime.

Also Prime Video is a nightmare to sort/search through on anything but a computer. They also do that annoying thing that Netflix did almost a decade ago where they separate shows by season instead of grouping it all together to make their library look bigger than it is.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg Prime has some free Mystery Science Theater 3000 stuff, MEMBERSHIP VALIDATED.

Also holy crap, not only got Wario World for $20, but also found a freakin' copy of Rival Schools with both discs (though no manual) for only $40. I tell you, the feeling of finding an older, more rare game at a store or flea market is so much more satisfying than just ordering it off Amazon or eBay....not to mention you can see the condition for yourself.

.......wow, yeah, Amazon Prime Video has pretty much NOTHING for anime. Most of the better stuff, you can only see the first episode for free. There's a FEW notable stuff like Elfen Lied, Highschool of the Dead, Angel Beats, S1 of World God Only Knows, Abenobashi, but then stuff like....Demon King Daimaio & He is my Master.....

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How would that even...how much editing would that even take?

Even Adult Swim couldn't show the decapitated head in the first episode. There was no way this series would fly.

Yeah, there was no way Fox Kids would able to have Detective Conan on their block.

There are sources in the article from 2000 indicating that they had plans. My guess? Saban snatched up the rights when they heard it was crazy popular, and didn't realize just how violent it was. They probably heard "Kid Detective" and thought "Kid-friendly cases", only it's murder cases no different from an episode of Law & Order. Oops!

It's kind of like what happened with 4Kids and One Piece. Though if what I've heard is true, Toei bundled the One Piece rights with other shows, and 4Kids was stuck with it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
LOL, I would've love to have seen 4Kids' version of Case Closed.

Wonder if it's actually true, but you'd think considering most of the show was solving crimes, with the first one being A BEHEADING ON A ROLLER COASTER, Fox Kids would've stayed away from it.

Mizerman

There are sources in the article from 2000 indicating that they had plans. My guess? Saban snatched up the rights when they heard it was crazy popular, and didn't realize just how violent it was. They probably heard "Kid Detective" and thought "Kid-friendly cases", only it's murder cases no different from an episode of Law & Order. Oops!

It's kind of like what happened with 4Kids and One Piece. Though if what I've heard is true, Toei bundled the One Piece rights with other shows, and 4Kids was stuck with it.

Yeah, I heard that 4Kids didn't really want anything to do with OP anyways but just kept for awhile...which led to whatever that dub was.

And seeing Disney's misfire with Naruto Shippuden, I could believe that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Great use of color man

Thanks! I'm so glad Art Academy lets me approximate watercolor's fairly well. The desaturation really helps sell it all.

Also holy crap, not only got Wario World for $20, but also found a freakin' copy of Rival Schools with both discs (though no manual) for only $40. I tell you, the feeling of finding an older, more rare game at a store or flea market is so much more satisfying than just ordering it off Amazon or eBay....not to mention you can see the condition for yourself.

There really is something awesome about finding gems in person. I used to love the days of searching and finding great, rare stuff on hand, but now with product searches and smarter sellers and buyers, it kills the "adventure" aspect so much.

Especially when even the pawn shops, flea markets, and second-hands base their prices on e-bay and Amazon. The days of finding local stores with gems that they have a game for $4.99 ,that go for $69.99 for those "in the know".

It still happens on occasion, but it's much more rare.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There really is something awesome about finding gems in person. I used to love the days of searching and finding great, rare stuff on hand, but now with product searches and smarter sellers and buyers, it kills the "adventure" aspect so much.

Especially when even the pawn shops, flea markets, and second-hands base their prices on e-bay and Amazon. The days of finding local stores with gems that they have a game for $4.99 ,that go for $69.99 for those "in the know".

It still happens on occasion, but it's much more rare.
Yeah, I went to a flea market once & found the Fire Emblem game on Wii for only $10, had no idea it was worth around $50. Sometimes you get the rare times of people just wanting to sell something cheap to get rid of it without wanting to spend the time to do the research & such, but yes, nowadays, eBay & Amazon have both made it easier, but also more expensive to get stuff because that's how people can base their prices.

The guy at the store actually told me of a good site called Price Charting where I could instantly look up an average price for games, which was nice since I tend to search those two sites mentioned above first.

It's also more enjoyable finding the game in person because it's like a hunt where as you can just grab it on Amazon or eBay and be done, it doesn't have the same level of satisfaction, plus you can't see the condition of it for yourself.

There's a place in town that has some Saturn games I wouldn't mind getting, but he didn't have any prices on them & considering I've heard he can be quite expensive, I really don't want to go back just to hear him go with some of the high prices I've seen online, especially when I'm told by the community I should just import Saturn games.

BatDan

The Lost Media Wiki does have some interesting anime pages.

One of the most well known pieces of lost anime, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood. The 2007 movie that Araki hated so much that it was never released on DVD or Blu-Ray. Getting rid of Speedwagon was a big mistake.

Harmony Gold's Dragon Ball dub. Included weird name changes like Goku becoming Zero. The movie dubs they did exist, but the show itself is lost. There you can hear the voice of Angelica Pickles coming out of Puar. Man, imagine the alternate universe where Harmony Gold actually found success with Dragon Ball and they hold a tyrannical fist over it like they do Macross.

The Toonami version of Outlaw Star is lost. With all the nudity covered up.

The entire 1973 Doraemon series. Apparently the creators hated it so much they wanted it gone. It would get overshadowed by the much more popular 1979 series. Speaking of, it seems the English Dub on Disney XD has been cancelled. Oh well.

Apparently the One Piece 4Kids dub was considered lost, but someone uploaded a torrent recently and it's been spread around.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So based on someone's comment on 12:30 being the crap show slot, I went to look up the previous shows that aired at 12:30, from newest to oldest (I'll go back as far as the beginning of 2013).

- Akame ga Kill
- Kill la Kill (...........well, the second half, I guess)
- Inuyasha Final Act (but this was when Kai was at 11:30 & freakin' Shippuden at midnight)
- Shippuden (when AoT was 11:30 & Bleach, then Kai was midnight)
- Space Dandy (For the most part, nah)
- Naruto

........Well, AgK & Final Act, I can agree. Kill la Kill, I'd say later in the 2nd half (after the school trip) is when things went downhill.

I think I heard a clip of Harmony Gold's DB dub with the intro being new & calling Goku "Zero"....which is a freakin' weird name change.

Oh right, I forgot they made a Phantom Blood film. Hell, I think Araki even told Capcom to not localized the PS2 Part 5 game despite having plans to translate it because he wasn't fond of the previous name changes & refused to let them do it again. Wasn't until All-Star Battle when Namco went directly to him & made sure he approved of all the name changes (I have no idea if he himself came up with them, but considering how he loves his music references, it could be possible)

Doesn't there still exist DVDs of the 4Kids One Piece dub? Obviously out of print now, but still.

BatDan

Doesn't there still exist DVDs of the 4Kids One Piece dub? Obviously out of print now, but still.

Only the first 52 episodes, which is about halfway into Drum Island.
The rest of the series was not put out on DVD. But TV rips exist.

The Lost Media Wiki page does have a link to download the 4Kids dub, but I'm not sure what the legality of that is... Nobody is making money on that version anymore but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom