• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
ROBO-PUPPY MISTREATMENT ALERT!

Off topic but this is sweet and I'm glad I saw it on GAF before it ended:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/the-unofficial-snes-super-famicom-a-visual-compend

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357974

Originally backed for the hardcover, but then I changed it and added 15 quid to get that SNES diagram poster. Might just frame that sucker.

Slightly related, but I just got a new coffee table and this seems like a good fit, despite my all-digital stance on all media. :p
Got my softcover backed. Funded their NES one as well, hoping they do one on the Genesis eventually, plus they're doing a book on the Neo Geo that should be available for pre-order this month. I have their Commodore 64 & Amiga compendiums as well, need to get around to buying their Sinclair ZX one eventually.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ROBO-PUPPY MISTREATMENT ALERT!

Got my softcover backed. Funded their NES one as well, hoping they do one on the Genesis eventually, plus they're doing a book on the Neo Geo that should be available for pre-order this month. I have their Commodore 64 & Amiga compendiums as well, need to get around to buying their Sinclair ZX one eventually.

I'm pretty excited about the thought of a GB one, and part of me hopes it's JUST the original (not GBC), although the art would be black and white or pea soup green, lol. The original GB is my fave nostalgic system after SNES.

Good Jack, good Super, good Kai (I'm a sucker for the NANI moments)

Wondering when we'll get a JoJo part 3 promo, probably a month before it drops right?

Sorry to double post:

But of course Chi-Chi would almost cause babby Pan harm.

Also, man I actually like Mr. Satan playing around with Pan. A new light I haven't seen from him. It's comforting.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm pretty excited about the thought of a GB one, and part of me hopes it's JUST the original (not GBC), although the art would be black and white or pea soup green, lol. The original GB is my fave nostalgic system after SNES.
The closest book I have about GB is "Game Boy World", which chronicles the system & its games by year. If the 2nd volume wasn't so expensive, I would've gotten it by now.

Only bummer is I have the original print instead of the newer "XL" print which is what they seem to be doing for all future volumes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Same here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Everytime I watch Unicorn

"Damn this looks pretty....zzzzzzzz"

There's a fairly solid history of the better looking Gundam shows having bad to garbage plots.

Starts with Stardust Memory and Char's Counterattack, which are merely okay. 08th MS, which is even prettier and mainly about a bad battlefield romance. Then there is this.

The four best looking Gundam shows all have disappointing stories at best.

cntr

Banned
I wonder if Mikazuki was deliberately written with Banagher in mind? IBO deliberately flouts a lot of Gundam tropes, so it might be.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder if Mikazuki was deliberately written with Banagher in mind? IBO deliberately flouts a lot of Gundam tropes, so it might be.

He's the worst of the pacifists by far.

Kira at least had a solid goal in mind. Loran just wanted to live on earth in peace.

Mika is a more believable version of Heero raised on the streets.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69kTlaL0RRwIdaO

WVW69kTnSFY_JugRHM
WVW69kTncKI0t2RdjW

WVW69kTnluwMBIG5F5
WVW69kTntxwAGMyeLE

WVW69kTn1Zk4IahDaw
WVW69kToCA0W_YD15A

Retro GiTs and.. JACK?! (2/01/14):

zlCfzRc-BZkmvkwePW
zlCfzRc5kncwBWX-ss

LATER

Man I don't know if it's the beer I drank but DB Super was a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better episode compared to this week's Samurai Jack.

I would have never imagined that. Night y'all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The closest book I have about GB is "Game Boy World", which chronicles the system & its games by year. If the 2nd volume wasn't so expensive, I would've gotten it by now.

Only bummer is I have the original print instead of the newer "XL" print which is what they seem to be doing for all future volumes.

That's awesome! Wish it was in hardcover though.

Also 1990 is January to June 1990? Is there a Vol. 2?

Same here.

I actually love it to the extent I've seriously considered (multiple times) to create a homebrew game for it. There's actually fairly sophisticated tools these days - my original concerns were the language (assembly) and difficulty making pixel art, but there's C libraries for it and tools to generate pixel arrays from uploaded graphics.

I'm still planning on making a game, but it won't be a homebrew GB one. :( On the flipside, I will be using the GB resolution and pallet for it. :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member

They just do.

Char's Counterattack is about Char doing a complete 180 from rational dude to the jackass he used to be and a couple of whiny brats messing shit up. Then at the end he decides to not go through with his nonsense because...no one knows.

0083 Stardust Memory is a Tom Clancy thriller where the bad guys win and the good guys might be worse than the bad guys. It's the best of these four OVAs. It's also got a terrible romance that just drags things down.

08th MS Team sounds great on paper. Here's the TOONAMI promo. Grunts not super pilots? A battlefield love story with the chance of building understanding? Yeah...it doesn't work with Gundam writing.

And then we got good old Gundam Unicron.

cntr

Banned
War in the Pocket is the only great serious Gundam. The other greats are G Gundam and Build Fighters. Probably says something that they're the three shows most atypical of Gundam.

The rest of Gundam is good to bad, though admittedly a lot of the enjoyment is ironic.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
War in the Pocket is the only great serious Gundam. The other greats are G Gundam and Build Fighters. Probably says something that they're the three shows most atypical of Gundam.

The rest of Gundam is good to bad, though admittedly a lot of the enjoyment is ironic.

War in the Pocket is basically what would happen if Ghibli made a Gundam OVA, only not as pretty.

But yes, those are the three best Gundam shows. Basically in that order as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Iron Blooded Orphans may be up there, I still have yet to work out how I feel about the whole thing.

cntr

Banned
IBO S1's a mixed bag at best, but if S2 lives up to what I've heard of it, it'll be good. I really doubt it'll be one of the greats.

Unicorn should make IBO easier to appreciate, especially Mikazuki. That's the reason I liked S1 after all, lol.

cntr

Banned
S1 of IBO is probably in the upper echelon of Gundam shows if Unicorn is any indication.
Honestly no, season 1's pretty rough even by Gundam standards. It does a lot of things I personally like, like the character focus and Mikazuki's bluntness, but objectively it's not that great.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That is something that is going to be highly subjective.

Season 1 starts and ends well but for me the middle was nearly intolerable. There's certain episodes where I'd rather watch the equally shitty middle episodes of Unicron again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I suppose what I can say at this point is Season 1 is certainly one half of a whole, that being said the DORT arc will forever be terrible.

Moaradin

I think IBO is a bit mixed, but I'd put it more on the good side rather than bad. It has a lot of things I liked and it still has me genuinely interested in season 2 despite having some weak middle parts.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd take IBO over Unicorn any day. At least when IBO got bad with stuff like DORT, you at least remember it.

cntr

Banned
also I'd totally watch a Gundam series where they had to fight Unicron as he descended into the solar system

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Have the Transformers ever appeared in the Super Robot Wars franchise? I mean, I know Konami put him in Dream Mix TV where Optimus Prime & Megatron could fight Bomberman, Simon Belmont, the Beyblade kid, a Moai statue from Gradius, Master Higgins from Adventure Island, & Solid Snake.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
also I'd totally watch a Gundam series where they had to fight Unicron as he descended into the solar system

I've literally been making the same damn Unicron joke for FOUR MONTHS now and I'm pretty damn sure you're the first to take me up on it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Actually, how has nobody made a giant robot VR game where you're in the cockpit of a famous giant robot?

A Gundam or Evangelion VR game would get a lot of hype.

cntr

Banned
Still wish that Godzilla vs. Evangelion crossover became an actual series.

I've literally been making the same damn Unicron joke for FOUR MONTHS now and I'm pretty damn sure you're the first to take me up on it.
Noticed it, just didn't comment on it.

Have the Transformers ever appeared in the Super Robot Wars franchise? I mean, I know Konami put him in Dream Mix TV where Optimus Prime & Megatron could fight Bomberman, Simon Belmont, the Beyblade kid, a Moai statue from Gradius, Master Higgins from Adventure Island, & Solid Snake.
They've tried, but Takara Tomy is notoriously unfriendly towards SRW. Not happening any time soon.

...man, imagine if they made a crossover SRW series? Never happening, but Gurren Lagann fighting EVA-01? Mikazuki actually murdering Riddhe and Banagher? Full Frontal literally getting a Mazinger Z rocket punch to the face? Never happening in a million years, but it'd be so good.

Actually, how has nobody made a giant robot VR game where you're in the cockpit of a famous giant robot?

A Gundam or Evangelion VR game would get a lot of hype.
FromSoftware is done with Dark Souls so...VR Armored Core hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom