• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
euyNQ11.gif

cntr

Banned
ok yeah asura pain's definitely the best for having such a ridiculous power

literally ninja missile launchers!

Korigama

How strange, I couldn't load GAF at all for the rest of the night around the end of Tokyo Ghoul (plenty of other sites worked, but not this one). Seems it was just me after all.

Man, it's fun rewatching this. I almost wish there was a spinoff miniseries/movie/OVA that just focused on the exploits of the Phantom Troupe, they're such a fun group of characters.

This is real close to what I've wanted! Damn it MadHouse ;n;

Really want them to clear up those tidbits which the anime watchers still indefinitely remain in the dark over
How strange, I couldn't load GAF at all for the rest of the night around the end of Tokyo Ghoul (plenty of other sites worked, but not this one). Seems it was just me after all.
8 x 11 Printer Paper guy and I also had that problem until just now

I actually don't know what I'd call HxH. Broadly, it is shonen, but I feel like each arc can be its own genre entirely. I definitely wouldn't call this arc shonen, for example.

I guess shonen/seinen could be accepted as genres in the west? But for the Japanese, they are demographics. But then again demographics in Japan already seem to be quite flexible, and I still don't know how those should be categorized anyhow

Butz Klauser

cntr

Banned
Shounen and seinen are audience groups, so while they usually match up to genres, there's plenty of edge cases like HxH where they don't. The only objective difference is that you're allowed to have more nudity and violence in a seinen, but aside from that it's more a factor of what magazine you're published in.

Shoujo tends to be more distinct, but that's because 95% of it is bad romance in that weird artstyle. But josei is harder to distinguish from seinen, and since you're way more likely to find niche ideas in seinen and josei, they're more mature as a whole.

...also, despite being audience groups, they often don't have anything to do with the actual audience. So One Piece is a shounen, i.e., for young boys, but its plurality demographic is women in their 20s.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If you want a decent way to gauge a characters power in HxH its by observing how far their En can reach and how long they are able maintain it.

HStallion

This becomes way more relevant later down the line.

Its an advanced technique that is not easy to maintain for long distances for any real length of time. When a character bursts out a huge En and walks around like its nothing you know they're one to watch out for.

Chrollo probably.

I do think Machi likes him, in a tsundere way.
No...Chrollo does not like Hisoka.
Its an advanced technique that is not easy to maintain for long distances for any real length of time. When a character bursts out a huge En and walks around like its nothing you know they're one to watch out for.
I don't think anybody strong enough to do this has popped up yet though.
That entire back half of that episode was impressive as hell. Quick and clever brainwork and footwork FTW. Nobunaga has a lot of explaining to do when the others get back. Not sure how Gon & Killua are going to level up quick enough to take on the Phantom Troupe but I'm sure they will find some shonen bullshit way LOL

Anyway, the snoozefest called Gundam is almost here to kill my high :/
That isn't how HxH works. Phantom Troupe is still dangerous as fuck towards the end as well.

This is my first episode of Super and this animation is ridiculously garbage. Wow.

I'm a huge DBZ fan too. :(

The actual writing isn't bad though.

Garbage is a bit of an exaggeration, the actual garbage looking episodes aren't for a few weeks.
The show gets better over time after the massive collapse that is only a few episodes away, right now in the Japanese broadcast things are pretty solid.

Ultratech

I'm just glad I managed to get my TV fixed (though I had to rescan all the channels which sucks b/c it takes a while).

I skip tokyo ghoul and unicorn

I skip Tokyo Ghoul pretty much; I'll sometimes catch the last few minutes, but that's it.
I really don't care for it.

Unicorn I somehow manage to get through if I'm not tired.

Usually about the time Naruto comes on now, I typically go to bed.

Everytime I watch Unicorn

"Damn this looks pretty....zzzzzzzz"

That's pretty much me as well.

Looks nice, but that plot...ugh.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lovely lovely art. <3
Thanks a bunch!:)
Great stuff SAB. Is that a sword on Jack or is he just happy to see me?
After last night's episode...
,,, I like how we end there, and then our next ep. preview is suspiciously Ashi-less. Wew,

jokes aside I really do want a new Armored Core or Metal Wolf Chaos

pls make it happen

Considering how off people are acting over our Phantom Dust Re-Release / Remake, I wonder now how they'd take the news of a Metal Wolf Chaos port... before a hopeful sequel.

MWC with it's own Japanese-inspired take on Crackdown 3's destruction would be a dream come true.

RICCCCHAAARDDDDDDDDDD~!!!

HStallion

I don't think anybody strong enough to do this has popped up yet though.

They have its just not been shown off yet.

Considering how off people are acting over our Phantom Dust Re-Release / Remake, I wonder now how they'd take the news of a Metal Wolf Chaos port... before a hopeful sequel.

MWC with it's own Japanese-inspired take on Crackdown 3's destruction would be a dream come true.

RICCCCHAAARDDDDDDDDDD~!!!

Its most people who never played Phantom Dust on the original Xbox which is not surprising considering it was not a hit. It was a $20 game on its original release.

They have its just not been shown off yet.
Aren't
Netero, Zeno, Silva and probably Chrollo
the only candidates for this so far? On the topic of HxH rewatching ep 45. Feitan is annoyed because Owl gave up the info too fast for him to enjoy torturing him, but they cut to Owl and it looks like Feitan still tortured the shit out of him. So either Feitan gets to the hardcore shit real fast or he still continued to torture the fuck out of him for either the lols or it's just how the dude is wired.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Y'know, I rather enjoy how oddly aware and... reasonable (?) DB Super can be at times. I'm surprised at things like Whis and Bulma's friendships actually seeming to be REAL interactions between each other, and not just a simple "I'M SAVING THE WORLD FROM LUNKHEAD SAIYANS!" jokes. I like how ChiChi's intensity is more of an answer to the strength of her saiyan-blood family's convictions, rather than just a way to make her seem like an unlikable character. And I actually like how stubbornly Gohan and VIdel (And Satan!) have stuck to being a more realistic functional family, rather than just some group we laugh at for not acting like bland battle-thirsty maniacs.

It really helps make the show feel more like a series that has grown up alongside an older, but young at heart audience (much like Goku) rather than the battle hungry, "It's only good when there's fighting!" stuff that your more usual shonen-focus series toss at us.

In a way, I feel like it pairs well with Gundam Unicorn due to this. They're both shows that are somewhat less about straight personal character drama and how many fight scenes they have, and are more about continuing worlds reacting to the legacy of a series and characters from decades ago.

This all sucks if you don't take the series as seriously as these works themselves do, though.

I couldn't really ever like Gundam Wing or G-Gundam or even Build fighters more than the classic Gundamverse, because the main times I enjoy those shows is generally when they're attempting derivative takes / references TO the original universe.

I don't think I started like this though. I think it's more the fault of something like Seed, which felt it's best when it dropped it's own methodology and pacing, and instead tried to make an impact that complimented a classic timeline event.

Paired alongside the fact that playing the few translated / emulated games of the 90s and 2000s, alongside things like Original Gundam airing on Toonami (Or original Dragonball on UPN?!), really helped me understand how formative some of these moments must have felt to those who'd become the directors, character designers, and seiyuu of the upcoming years.

This isn't to say shows can't be judged as good or bad purely on their own. But that happens everywhere. There's just something special about seeing the effects of long-running legacies built up on diehard fans.

Its most people who never played Phantom Dust on the original Xbox which is not surprising considering it was not a hit. It was a $20 game on its original release.

It's always a bit disappointing to me, TBH, to see an enthusiast forum act so clueless about the value of a gem like PD. The lack of insight and understanding feels like basic GameFAQS or YouTube comment fodder.

Does the manga ever state which member of the Phantom Troupe Silva kills? I'm going to assume the original number 4 but who the hell really knows.

Jarate

Banned
I also didn't even watch Toonami last night, its been really hard choosing to watch Toonami when 4 of the shows on I actively dislike. (AOT, Tokyo Ghoul, Naruto and Gundam)

Raxus

I also didn't even watch Toonami last night, its been really hard choosing to watch Toonami when 4 of the shows on I actively dislike. (AOT, Tokyo Ghoul, Naruto and Gundam)

2 of those (AoT and Naruto) arein pretty good parts at the moment.

I am just waiting for IBO season 2 at this point.

HxH ep 50. Look at Nobunaga stepping up to Feitan like he'd actually beat Feitan in a fight. Forgot how much I loved this show, probably going to go sub soon cause I'm in a marathon mood. Granted I'm watching the sub now, but I do believe ep 50 was last night for you guys.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Keanu should definitely be Jack in any movie adaptation, "white"washing be damned.

Jarate

Banned
2 of those (AoT and Naruto) arein pretty good parts at the moment.

I am just waiting for IBO season 2 at this point.
I can appreciate the good parts of Naruto I guess, but I just get super bored with it. There's nothing about Naruto, or even AOT that I enjoy really.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Day late and a dollar short, but I just watched Sam Jack and that Mad Men ending was on point.

I feel like I'm the only dude that liked the episode. It was fun, the whole episode was Genndy seeing how many romcom cliches he could fit in 24 minutes. That and it all built up to that final scene, the episode was constructed like a mousetrap that just snaps shut at the end and forces a laugh.

I feel like I'm the only dude that liked the episode. It was fun, the whole episode was Genndy seeing how many romcom cliches he could fit in 24 minutes. That and it all built up to that final scene, the episode was constructed like a mousetrap that just snaps shut at the end and forces a laugh.

Don't worry, Dubs. I love how the whole episode was just an extended metaphor building up to the final scene.

HStallion

Aren't
Netero, Zeno, Silva and probably Chrollo
the only candidates for this so far? On the topic of HxH rewatching ep 45. Feitan is annoyed because Owl gave up the info too fast for him to enjoy torturing him, but they cut to Owl and it looks like Feitan still tortured the shit out of him. So either Feitan gets to the hardcore shit real fast or he still continued to torture the fuck out of him for either the lols or it's just how the dude is wired.

Yes to everyone you mentioned as well as
Kortopi
though his(her?) En is basically tied to their Nen ability which is already incredibly powerful so not sure that counts.

Ray Down

Banned
...also, despite being audience groups, they often don't have anything to do with the actual audience. So One Piece is a shounen, i.e., for young boys, but its plurality demographic is women in their 20s.

Oda is even confused and surprised about the amount of women read his series.

Yes to everyone you mentioned as well as
Kortopi
though his(her?) En is basically tied to their Nen ability which is already incredibly powerful so not sure that counts.
That persons Nen is weird because people don't even realize that what they're holding is just physical manifestations of Nen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom