• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gon's far more diversified than Uvogin ever was.
He has powerful mid- and long-ranged attacks. That's in addition to an almost insta-kill close range attack. Gon did a good job with his power, he's just not trained up enough to use it all properly
He has a
long range attack he's only used once in the show though
. I honestly think Gon would grow into Uvogin's mind set to be honest since little dude don't give a shit about anything...well he cares about things,
but his thought process creates some intense pain later.

Regiruler

HE'S PRETTY FUCKING GOTH.

9q58rcd.jpg

What's with the upside-down cross? Does he work for the Vatican?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Being strong in HxH is rarely the thing that wins a battle. Being smart and creative allows some weaker characters to totally clown those much stronger than them. Much the same a very specific Nen power might be the perfect counter point to a much more diverse and dangerous power.

Yeah, and it is a good way for the show. It's doing better, but it hasn't really rung true for me as the way JoJo's anime handles these things...

HxH is weird in that way even for a Togashi title. Unlike YuYu Hakusho which solely focused on the heroes there is a strong focus on the bad guys in HxH. So much so that we spend entire episodes with them at times. Like Breaking Bad they are fascinating characters but never ever likeable even if you can relate to them in odd ways (motivations, emotions, etc.).

An interesting way to look at it. It is nice how non-focal the main cast has been at points. Mentioning Breaking Bad makes me think that some of these "grey" characters kinda turn out like Black Lagoon for me; certain types of moral ambiguity just don't work for me. After they cross those points, it's just black, no grey, no matter how much the author might try to make one feel otherwise.

The Troupe will forever be murderous bastards but damn if they aren't good at what they do. Combine that with their weird code of ethics and honesty and they are a rather unique villain team.

There was some GREAT Kurapika development in this that I never noticed before. This series really does pay to watch a second time when certain revelations come to light and you can see the details of character arcs play out.

It's such a weird world where bad acts can be met with such a handwave, if not from people in power, than from the reactions of those in story. It's kinda tiring from the show, but it does stick with the fact that one of our heroes is a family member of a clan of assassins, who keep skeleton bones in their big-door trashcan.

This does seem like the time where the show is learning how to properly, fully speak in it's own voice.

Uvo is just the physically strongest, doesn't necessarily mean other Troupe members can't figure out how to beat him. I'd honestly think Chrollo, Feitan and maybe even Finks could beat him.

I really don't think there is much of a good and bad in HxH, just differing shades of gray.

Yeah, I get that strength doesn't equal better here, which is still a reason why how far they pushed it at points seems overdone to me. Maybe the show was playing with that expectation? I'd have preferred a bit more of a split to kill tactics on the Auction Night Massacre, for a guy who get's put in his place and offed within 4 episodes. The Shadow Dragons tried, but that made me question how the big bad mafia and the dragons themselves could be so clueless about the troupe's power level, more than anything.

I think the only time I like "grey" characters is when they're charismatic of passionate enough to make me wanna follow or believe in them, without noticing. Or when I can see them actually realize their "evil" side is pretty bad, and see them show moments of regret.

I don't think "likable" is what they are going for here. The Phantom Troupe is obviously evil, and I don't think the show is trying to say otherwise, but their comradely and character quirks give them a bit more depth than the typical anime villain group.

I just used the term because it was being brought up here. I dunno what it is they're doing sometimes... I feel like this work is just trying to shock me more often than not. I feel less like I'm seeing real creative quirkiness, and more like I'm seeing a constant bait-and-switch, so it never feels as impactful as I'd like.

Seeing them mourn the death of their friend is so refreshing. I can't count the times where one of the characters die in "typical anime villain group #105" and someone says he was weak and deserved it or any other variation of that. They're usually nothing but an obstacle for our heroes to defeat one by one, usually from weakest to strongest.

Yeah, it's weird, but the show occasionally makes me wish something straight like that would happen every once in a while. I feel like they try to subvert so often, that I don't even know if the concept I'd consider "normal" exist in their world. When it's less that they're going against the grain, and instead just following the grain as proposed in their world, it feels less meaningful.

And yeah, Uvo being the strongest works for a number of reasons. It immediately establishes Kurapika as a legit threat to the rest of the troupe right off the bat.

The nicest thing about this to me (since Kurapika never has worked out for me), is that it's awesome seeing that, somehow, Gon wasn't made to be the answer because he's the "main character". Which is a term that seems loose within this show anyway. While I may feel that KuPi's induction into spider-stompin' badass is quite heavy-handed, the fact he had a conviction, and was treated seriously enough by the story to be able to take that, and surpass the poster shotas is ultimately refreshing.

Regiruler

His name is Lucilfer plus an upside cross is satanic or at least anti-christian symbol
Thr upside down cross has actually been a Church symbol for longer iirc, as the cross of Saint Peter.

But yes, it's probably used in a different context here, but I don't know why it's even a part of Hunter x Hunter unless the series gets really religious for some reason.

caliph95

Thr upside down cross has actually been a Church symbol for longer iirc, as the cross of Saint Peter.

But yes, it's probably used in a different context here, but I don't know why it's even a part of Hunter x Hunter unless the series gets really religious for some reason.
I know just talking about how it usually use in fiction.

I don't think it does at least in not in a big way pretty sure it just a thing for Chrollo

Yeah, I get that strength doesn't equal better here, which is still a reason why how far they pushed it at points seems overdone to me. Maybe the show was playing with that expectation? I'd have preferred a bit more of a split to kill tactics on the Auction Night Massacre, for a guy who get's put in his place and offed within 4 episodes. The Shadow Dragons tried, but that made me question how the big bad mafia and the dragons themselves could be so clueless about the troupe's power level, more than anything.

I think the only time I like "grey" characters is when they're charismatic of passionate enough to make me wanna follow or believe in them, without noticing. Or when I can see them actually realize their "evil" side is pretty bad, and see them show moments of regret.
With the Phantom Troupe only a handful of people know how strong they are, so it was easy for the mafia to get super cocky with their chances against them. Four got manhandled by one dude and then the rest got off paneled. On top of this They're not even the end all be all power wise so there are things stronger than them. Even still these guys are still really fucking strong, which is something I like about HxH, there really isn't that much power escalation. Strong people stay strong, they don't end up getting Piccolo'd. I think even the "nice" people in HxH have some skeletons in their closet. Even best boy Killua has been killing dudes since he was five.

cntr

Banned
Togashi's read about a lot of stuff, but doesn't really understand the import of what they are.

That's why there's a speech about Judas in Hunter x Hunter.

So seeing how we are still talking about Hunter X Hunter can I say how well designed
Neferpitou is when it comes to catgirls, I don't know when it comes to catgirls in anime they tend to bore me but I think Togashi kinda wasted a great catgirl design on Pitou. I don't know something about the eyes and fangs sort of give this cute but deadly feeling and I really enjoy Pitou's frilly hair.

I've never understood why people dislike remasters. That said, I look at some remasters and wonder, why?

header.jpg

Why?

Why give this a remaster when the one true xbox platformer remains criminally forgotten?

Blinx_cover.png

Morlas

i only read the beginning and end of threads....also i can't wait til' we get to the non movie material in super it's a very good show from that point on.

edit: also i just remembered The Incredible Hulk ultimate destruction, that was a pretty fun game.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I've never understood why people dislike remasters. That said, I look at some remasters and wonder, why?

header.jpg

Why?

Why give this a remaster when the one true xbox platformer remains criminally forgotten?

Blinx_cover.png

Having interviewed the creator of the game Voodoo Vince back in December, the reason why is a combination of love of his first project and also because there was no easy way to play the game without owning an OG Xbox. Not even on the 360 given some code incompatibility. Also, Voodoo Vine does have a cult following one of which is Phil Spencer. So the green light was given via IDXbox and this game became this odd quasi-third party project via Beep Games.

Raxus

I read it.

<3 man <3

Writing long posts makes me appreciate the efforts people have to go through making an OT or new thread.

Speaking of obscure games and anime I remember an old GBA Astro Boy game being really good. Nobody ever talks about it sadly.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

https://s1.postimg.org/sizsmv3tb/header.jpg

Why?

https://s13.postimg.org/a66j4wlqv/Blinx_cover.png
One of these days, I wouldn't mind playing the Blinx games since they were the rare few games that I cared about being on Xbox (kid me just saw it as "that system that has all the M-rated games that I don't care about"), but my understanding is that Microsoft saw that the feedback was "this character design is awful" & kept appearing in "worst game mascots" lists to the point they wanted nothing to do with the character after the 2nd game & didn't even bother to renew the license/patent for the series.

Though I will admit, I agree with you that of all the games to return, Voodoo Vince is a weird once since it didn't seem that interesting to me as a kid & I recall the reviews were "eh, it's okay", but I can understand that the creator wanted to bring it back/make it easier for people to play nowadays.

Speaking of obscure games and anime I remember an old GBA Astro Boy game being really good. Nobody ever talks about it sadly.
Omega Factor? I got it because I was liking the series that was being shown on Toonami & later learned it was made by the same people who made Gunstar Heroes, one of my favorite games, which just makes me appreciate it even more. Still have the cart since I know it'll never see a re-release.

....& the GBA game made me hope the PS2 game by Sonic Team would be good.....*sigh*...

Also, kind of want to vent. Had to work 2 weeks in a row working 6 days, & just had to go in tonight on account of my best friend's wife going into labor (which is totally understandable, I was preparing for it, just wasn't thinking it'd be tonight/when I was off), meaning I have a good feeling this'll mean a 3rd week, & my friend is taking next week off to be with his newborn son, which most likely means a 4th week in a row/an entire month of working 6 days....which means a nice amount of extra money obviously, but starting to feel like it's taking its toll on me, especially since things got busy again with Guardians of the Galaxy 2. At least Toonami helps me take my mind off it, even if it's just for a few hours.

So seeing how we are still talking about Hunter X Hunter can I say how well designed
Neferpitou is when it comes to catgirls, I don't know when it comes to catgirls in anime they tend to bore me but I think Togashi kinda wasted a great catgirl design on Pitou. I don't know something about the eyes and fangs sort of give this cute but deadly feeling and I really enjoy Pitou's frilly hair.
Pitou ranks up there with the Escaflowne cat girls

ToonamiGAF, what was the general thread consensus on Parasyte? I skipped out on it back when it was airing, but I noticed over on r/Anime, they're going to start doing a Group rewatch of it, so I was tempted to go along with it.

ToonamiGAF, what was the general thread consensus on Parasyte? I skipped out on it back when it was airing, but I noticed over on r/Anime, they're going to start doing a Group rewatch of it, so I was tempted to go along with it.
It's good in idea, not in execution. Doesn't help that the dub is flat.

Seda

Parasyte had some decent drama in the middle with the parasyte woman but the main characters kinda sucked (especially murano and crazy girl), the message was hamfisted at times and yeah the sentai dub didn't help. Not as godawful as AGK but really hit and miss.

caliph95

Parasyte had some decent drama in the middle with the parasyte woman but the main characters kinda sucked (especially murano and crazy girl), the message was hamfisted at times and yeah the sentai dub didn't help. Not as godawful as AGK but really hit and miss.
Is crazy girl the student
that got half or quarter of the school killed by confronting someone alone that she thinks or knows is dangerous and possibly a murderous alien without even telling her brother working on the case.
because that was dumb

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kana is psychically able to detect Parasytes and confuses Migi with some sort of destined connection with our boy Shinichi.

caliph95

The manga is supposed to be a lot better but Parasyte actually is mature despite it flaws or tries to be where the anime TG is just "edgy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom