• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Nov14| Brought Final Act to Toonami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect opportunity to use previous Sango gif, doesn't. Sedainabox.gif

iBlNWQliocnI6.gif

Seda

You just defined filler.

Not too long ago I was talking with MikeMyers and apparently one of my favorite scenes in the Immortals Shippuden arc, is filler. I think it changes my perspective on certain characters and motivations in that arc in a significant way - I was actually kinda surprised to hear it's not in the comic.

Guys, cut it out.
Let people post wherever they want.

I was just making a playful comment with a relevant Inuyasha reference.

Also I need to fix that gif.

I like the G-8 arc because it's unique; you don't see the Straw Hats using stealth very often.

That being said, it also makes no sense considering Luffy tears through that number of Marines by himself in Enies Lobby.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like the G-8 arc because it's unique; you don't see the Straw Hats using stealth very often.

That being said, it also makes no sense considering Luffy tears through that number of Marines by himself in Enies Lobby.

He had a powerup though.

MikeMyers

So I guess now I'll respond to Mike's question and post a quick "what I thought of the manga and the canon material that leads up to Final Act"

Overall I thought it was typical InuYasha, the manga moves at a really quick pace and is probably one of the best weekly manga I've read in terms of being a weekly series. Every 3-5 chapters whatever little mini story line is finished and you move onto the next little mini story line and these mini story lines form a line that tell the main story.
Haha yeah it is really easy to read through these chapters.

I was also pretty surprised at how bloody the manga was compared to the anime, there is quiet a bit more blood and we see a lot of villagers getting mauled by demons. This really stood out in the birds arc when we had demon birds pecking people and blood blasting out. This isn't really a gory series (it's no Hellsing) I'm more surprised it's there at all.
Yeah it's more violent. Like in the Band of Seven arc Bankotsu literally gets chopped in half.

Doing a quick run down of the arcs

-Search for the next world

This was probably the longest arc and introduced us to another incarnation of Naraku, Hakudoshi who I enjoyed quiet a bit. He makes a great right hand character for Naraku and gives off a very smug attitude which works well coming from a younger character. His horse was cool for all of 5 minutes before it go killed... Overall he's been a good addition to the series and I look forward to seeing him more.

This arc also introduced the minor villain Princess Abi who I never really cared for, outside of the above mentioned violence from birds she really felt like a plot convenience character who was simply introduced to give the cast a method of getting into the next world after the failure of getting though the gate. The really major part of this is that it brought back Kikyo... again, and worse Kagome is the reason Kikyo survives, and then she gets mad/jealous when InuYasha starts thinking a lot about her again. What was the point of "killing" Kikyo is you were just going to bring her back again? When people accuse InuYasha of spending too much time going in circles it's moments like this that really stand out.

The other major plot development in this arc is the return of Kohaku's memories which I really enjoyed. Having him now aware of the terrible things he's doing/has done while still doing them in order to stay close to Naraku to try and help defeat Naraku is a very nice direction for his character and all the Kohaku and Sango scenes have a lot more impact because of it.

This arc did have a great pay off when InuYasha and co follow Naraku into the next world, the whole battle down there is great and I love InuYasha's new attack and sword upgrade. The story behind why he gets them is great and it gives InuYasha a different looking attack that feels unique to help diversify him move set. I have no idea what the dub attack for this name is because the translation I read often left the attack names in Japanese and even when it did translate them it was a literal translating like Cutting Wind instead of Wind Scar. Also Sesshomaru gets a bad ass scene where he beats the statues that neither InuYasha nor Naraku could beat and saves the group.
The payoff and Kohaku development makes it worth it. Oh and it is called "Adamant Barrage" in the dub.

Rats mini arc

I liked the idea behind this more then the execution. The stuff with Sango and Kohaku was great, but I never felt like that rats were any kind of threat. Yeah they devoured human settlements but they never really tried to attack any of the main cast and were easily enough taken out. This arc would probably be more enjoyable animated because in the manga it was mostly lots of pages full of white circles in a pack.
It's okay. Reminds me of the rats in the Sega Genesis game Comix Zone.

Canon filler arc

I had to keep reminding myself that I was reading the manga so these scenes were in fact canon despite feeling like anime original content... in the manga. We get a story line about Shippo being possessed by a bug demon, and another fucking story about Miroku having promised himself to a girl years ago and Sango getting jealous again. The Shippo story line was horrible, the Miroku one at least had the decency of having the one good scene where Miroku gets angry about the demon trying to take him women (Sango). These two story lines really helps to see why InuYasha's filler content is good, it's hilariously easy to write an InuYasha story line and make it feel like it belongs in the series.
I like the scene with the big Sango head and how it turns out to be Shippo.

Goryoumaru arc

I hate this character, his design is stupid, how he acts annoys me, and based upon how this arc ended and the Toonami preview for Final Act he's apparently still around and going to be more important. This arc start promising with kids with big laser guns killing demons and I was really hoping we might get InuYasha and co killing little kids, sadly my sick fantasy was not to be. I really don't have much to say about this, I read it late last night and actually started falling asleep while reading it because of how mediocre it was. Considering this is apparently one of the last canon things adapted in the original anime that's a shame.

I forget when it became relevant but I did neglect to mention the new plot item, an orb that the baby holds because the baby is Naraku and Hakudoshi's heart and this orb makes him basically invisible to InuYasha, Kikyo, and Kagura as it makes people unable to sense demon energy. It's a good idea and I look forward to seeing what else they do with it in Final Act because it's still an unresolved plot thread.

Also I did like the chapter where Kagome went back to her own time and her friends FINALLY met InuYasha and pretty much liked him. InuYasha in the human world really is the best part of the series filler or canon.
Goryoumaru
doesn't last long in Final Act lol
. The infant and Hakudoshi are my favorite Naraku henchmen because they feel like a threat and are pretty creepy. Most of his incarnations and Band of Seven got wrecked quickly.

So that's my thoughts on the canon content between the 5ish episodes after InuYasha stopped airing on Toonami and where Final Act picks up. Very much looking forward to Final Act tonight and I will work on finishing the rest of the original InuYasha anime over the next few months.
You might want to read the corresponding chapters for Final Act Episode #1 too, just to see how fast paced it actually is since it adapts like 12 chapters in one episode.

Jarate

Banned
WHY I HATE G8 SPOILERS IN HERE

My hatred or the arc stems from the fact that G8 is literally the most useless military base that exists, and throughout the arc, they try to convince you that its bot useless even though it is, and during the arc, The Strawhats literally enter in, steal back all their stuff, and leave. Yet at the end hes all like, "Us being useless proves that we arent useless and the governmet will continue funding this shithole"

And thats when I decided to never watch filler one piece again. If that was the best filler arc, then I dont wanna experience worse

WHY I HATE G8 SPOILERS IN HERE

My hatred or the arc stems from the fact that G8 is literally the most useless military base that exists, and throughout the arc, they try to convince you that its bot useless even though it is, and during the arc, The Strawhats literally enter in, steal back all their stuff, and leave. Yet at the end hes all like, "Us being useless proves that we arent useless and the governmet will continue funding this shithole"

And thats when I decided to never watch filler one piece again. If that was the best filler arc, then I dont wanna experience worse

It's been a while and I don't really remember that being a big detail, but wasn't it more
"see, some shit went down here so we have a reason to be here in case shit goes down again"
?

Haha yeah it is really easy to read through these chapters.

Yeah it's more violent. Like in the Band of Seven arc Bankotsu literally gets chopped in half.

The payoff and Kohaku development makes it worth it. Oh and it is called "Adamant Barrage" in the dub.

It's okay. Reminds me of the rats in the Sega Genesis game Comix Zone.

I like the scene with the big Sango head and how it turns out to be Shippo.

Goryoumaru
doesn't last long in Final Act lol
. The infant and Hakudoshi are my favorite Naraku henchmen because they feel like a threat and are pretty creepy. Most of his incarnations and Band of Seven got wrecked quickly.

You might want to read the corresponding chapters for Final Act Episode #1 too, just to see how fast paced it actually is since it adapts like 12 chapters in one episode.

I liked that scene of Shippo as well, and thanks for letting me know the attack name. Hopefully its not like the back lash wave which only gets used when InuYasha needs to job to the bad guy :/

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Eren and friends escape from Shiganshina, Raditz reveals that (surprise!) Goku's an alien, the Leaf ninja attempt to pursue Sai, the Straw Hats make a leap of faith in the wake of Robin's confession but fuck that shit here's Luffy's backstory from episode 4 instead, and Nia sets up shop in the kitchen as Cytomander attacks from the sky. Then Inuyasha and friends are back, but there's no time to explain as all kinds of crazy shit is going down as Hakudoshi and Kagura plot to obtain some of the few jewel shards not in Naraku's possession, and we cover more than a full manga volume in one episode! Inuyasha isn't the only one back as Bleach returns to the fold after a week of retirement with this randomly chosen episode from the fight with Starrk. After that, it's a war between buttocks and nasty chesitcles with Space Dandy, Faye tells Ein a secret about her past, Pride reveals himself to Hawkeye, Section 9 is put in charge of a plutonium shipment out of the Shinjuku refugee district, Vera and the Union make their presence known in Paradigm, and finally Aku sends a ninja to take down Jack.

11:30 - Attack on Titan - 2 - That Day: The Fall of Shiganshina, Part 2
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 2 - The Enemy is Goku's Brother?! The Secret of the Mighty Saiyan Warriors
12:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 45 - The Consequences of Betrayal
1:00 - One Piece - 279 - Jump Towards the Falls! Luffy's Feelings!
1:30 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 13 - Eat Up, Everyone!
2:00 - Inuyasha: The Final Act - 1 - Naraku's Heart
2:30 - Bleach - 282 - Power of the Soul! Los Lobos, Attack!
3:00 - Space Dandy - 6 - The War of the Undies and Vests, Baby
3:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 15 - My Funny Valentine
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 37 - The First Homunculus
4:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 7 - Pu239/94
5:00 - Big O - 20 - Stripes
5:30 - Samurai Jack - 40 - Samurai vs. Ninja

Seda

I wouldn't think going from an English narration to a Japanese song would be that weird, didn't the later Inuyasha openings do that?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Naraku and Aizen back to back.

Troll hour.
All of the hours are pretty thematic now.

12:00 hour - orange jumpsuited dipshits
1:00 hour - balls out shounen explosion
2:00 hour - The Trolling Hour
3:00 hour - Watanabe Special
4:00 hour - '00s flagships
5:00 hour - stylized classics

Soulflarz

Banned
Is Heavens Lost Property even decent. The opening is still on my ipod from God knows when (and im 17, soo probably years and years back) but I dropped it a few episodes in...

Line_HTX

Wow, I can't believe I'm writing something that should've been up two weeks ago. I really hate not being able to sit down and write a long post because of everything else, mostly university homework, and that takes up way too much of my time... =/ Anyways, without further ado...

Attack on Dubbing

The first time I heard about there ever being a ToonamiGAF was after the premiere back in May. Reactions were pretty crazy nonetheless, and I just sat and read along before I finally decided to get off my ass and start contributing. I've never seen the show when it was airing back in Japan, because I wanted to wait until what the dub script was like, and hearing that J. Michael Tatum did the adaptive writing, I thought, oh nice, this'll be easier to understand. Granted, after the premiere, I cheated and watched the rest of the episodes on Netflix. But after that, I didn't have that suspense of mystery and it was one of those where I was willing to rewatch in English because you know, sometimes you don't see stuff until the 2nd watch. In that sense, watching along with you all was more of a sit back and relax watch for me haha. I thought the casting was fine, and I kind of like Bryce's acting when he's not screaming so much. The first episode where he says STOP YELLING AT ME! was the highlight cuz instead of getting mad at performances or direction, I was amused and wanted to see what other one-liners would be hilarious. The best would have to be
THE WORLD BEYOND THE WALL IS MY BIRTHRIGHT~~!!
The others were alright, at least AoT was slightly a better dub than a lot of others since I think there was so much attention and popularity, perhaps maybe too popular, that maybe they felt they were scrutinized by not screwing up. The highlights were Armin, Jean, and Levi. Mikuhsuh (sic) was alright, it reminded me so much of Kurisu in Steins;Gate. I thought that most of the script was at least above average in expressing the points of some noteworthy lines, such as Armin saying something about turning into monsters to fight monsters, I'm paraphrasing here.

Whoever said that Eren in the final episode was trying to be like Christian Bale's deep Batman voice nailed it. I almost spit my beer out when he was talking in that filter or whatever that was, haha.

Bleach 366 (END, or is it?)

Where to begin... I sit back and wonder why I was drawn into this show in the first place back in high school. Maybe I was bored and wanted something long to watch, and maybe there weren't enough shows of better quality that were shorter like 26 or 50 / 52 ep series that I overlooked. Looking back, there were more than enough of that length that had more compelling characters, plot, and variety than Bleach. This was pretty much the first show where I understood what filler episodes meant, and since I started watching so late, I was able to skip the Bount arc without a care and keep up with the Arrancar arc. Eventually I stopped watching around the Grimmjow fight because I thought that I'll watch the rest and skip the useless nonsense once it actually finishes. I decided to watch Bleach again at the start of this year when Space Dandy premiered, which by the way, should be AOTY without question :p, and man... it just felt so cheesy. I came back to the time when Toonami kept using that "Many battles are just beginning" soundbite, and lo and behold, that was a filler arc too. Fast forward to the Fullbring arc, and while I did like that everyone grew two years older, just the whole progression and characterization in general felt unnatural and forced. Pretty much the only reason why I watched this instead of keeping up with the manga is because it's a different medium with colors and music. I gave up on any premise of having a good time so instead I just settle for anything that'll make me laugh and have a beer for the logic. I guess I'm glad I finished it so I don't have to deal with it seriously ever again.

Gurren Lagann

I watched it years ago when it was shown on then Sci-Fi, but that was riddled with commercials and edits. I'm glad this came to Toonami. I don't remember much of specific events but I do remember that I enjoyed this show very much because it just kept getting bigger and bigger and everything was so hype. I'm re-watching this to remember all the hype that I've forgotten.

Hellsing Ultimate V - VIII

It feels so surreal to me that I borrowed a friend's DVD of I - IV many years ago and now I have finally watched the next episodes. I hated that I waited for whenever they were done animating and because of the nature of their release dates, I gave up and didn't want to care anymore. Again, I'm very happy that I finally get to watch Hellsing Ultimate in its entirety on Toonami, captions and everything, even though IX and X will air later as part of their movie month. I could've gone to the nearby theater to watch it, but that was all on the way up in north Houston, and there was no way I was going to make it in time. This is a very enjoyable OVA and I haven't had this much joy in watching an OVA since Mnemosyne :p. By the way, who's been keeping count of the cursing and the bleeps of Hellsing? Someone's not doing their job!

I'm rewatching Space Dandy, 2nd GiG, and Big O just because those shows have their own appeals that I think are a better product than shounen shows.

I'm sorry that I don't post more here. I'm the worst new member T_T I guess I'll get ready for The Final Act just because I can't let my anger of the previous series' ending hinder all the progress of what I watched. I hope there will be an actual resolution this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom