• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Nov14| Brought Final Act to Toonami

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I missed last night's Black Dynamite so I recorded it on Western Cartoon Network and watched it now.

This is a messed up show.
Parody of The Warriors where everyone is gay.
The Orphans pulling Home Alone traps on John Wayne Gacy.
Black Dynamite's traumatic childhood experience.

And yet it's still better and more coherent than Mr. Pickles or Tim & Eric

BBboy20

Bayonetta esque shit here
Took me 3 minutes after that episode to realize that PlatinumGames would be perfect for a Hellsing game.

I finished bayo 1 and 2 in about a week, would play for long periods without noticing.
I don't think I'm going to play Bayo 1 until I had my feel with Bayo 2...or maybe until I beat the game with Infinite Climax.

just finished bayonetta a few minutes ago, time to get the sequel :D
What does it feel like to play two of the greatest games in a row?

I need people to tag climax with me in Bayonetta 2 :(
BBboy20.

Bayonetta 2 is fucking amazing btw
Understatement of the Year.

I still can't believe they turned House of Cards into a Michael Bay "film".

Also, that's Taylor Kitch in the commercial; have no idea if he's in the game or not.

Did I mention I used to say "In Infinity Ward, We Trust"? The only developer I said that for was Hideo Kojima. 2002/2003 to 2008/2009 seemed magical to me now.

Now I'm talking about COD more then I expected. Yeah, Treyarch's single-players are the only thing I anticipate out of this franchise anymore. I always figured since the beginning that COD was really an interactive balls-to-the-wall action flick but I never thought that really could be a bad thing until after MW2 cemented the series as a pop culture phenomenon. It may rack in all the cash but that doesn't change the fact that the series is a shell of it's former self (among other franchises that are still as successful >_>).

Anyways....WHAT. THE. FUCK!?!?!?!?! Ok, after Hannibal, I was wondering how long we are going to keep up with these puritan censorship on non-premium channels...after tonight's Hellsing....FUCKING CHRIST HOW THE FUCK LONGER ARE WE GOING TO PUT UP WITH THESE PURITAN CENSORS IN NON-PREMIUM CHANNELS!?
On another note: Seras' wrath throughout the episode was just fucking beautiful.
tumblr_ne059nHzj91rvb8cmo1_400.gif

hhhnnngggg
tumblr_ned2lrUu4T1rvb8cmo1_400.gif

HHHNNNNGGGG
Great, I'm becoming one of you guys now....

Guess I never appreciated back but rewatching tonight's Lagann again, the moment the team noticed Simon was digging all the way to seeing his expression was one of the most well shot, composed and visualized moments I've ever seen in fiction. Honestly, I just find this quiet sequence of events that lead to Simon's psychological recuperating just simply brilliant. Crazy that I actually forgot about Kamina revelation of his persona was really just one big cover of his fear.

Man, only One Piece could somehow still remain colorful because any other piece of entertainment would have just simply hammered it home just how depressing and deplorable that situation is. Like, it seriously fucking is and yet somehow I'm not as well effected or it is really hitting me just how fucked up it is.

Forging a weapon out of one's righteousness...huh. That actually seems kind of neat. Like, literally, weaponizing one's will.

Bleach...yeah, they really had to end it on such a stupid note. Like, all that dumb stuff stopped me from feeling like a 8 year tradition is finally over. Like, really, good riddance.

Seriously, 8 fucking years of my life watching this show and I don't have much to say. That really should tell you something.

Oh yeah: I browsed through tonight's posts through the WiiU for the first time. This may have been posted on the WiiU if it wasn't for the fact that the collected quotes didn't collect for whatever reason so I had to search on the computer to find the quotes to post up. Maybe next time. =/

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe if they photoshopped in a bikini, they could've shown the uncensored version of the scene. Worked for Toonami in the past!

BatDan

Maybe if they photoshopped in a bikini, they could've shown the uncensored version of the scene. Worked for Toonami in the past!

That wasn't the only thing they removed...
They cut him humping the body

Regiruler

@Bboy's long ass post:
Puritan feels like a stupid insult when used in that sort of context. It feels like a "fuck you and your values" sort of thing that I completely despise.

BatDan

Either way, it tells us that there's very little they're not allowed to show.
And you still can't say "fuck".

For those still confused on why Schrodinger showed up in Zorin's memory attack, look up "Schrodinger's cat".

Seda

Guess I never appreciated back but rewatching tonight's Lagann again, the moment the team noticed Simon was digging all the way to seeing his expression was one of the most well shot, composed and visualized moments I've ever seen in fiction. Honestly, I just find this quiet sequence of events that lead to Simon's psychological recuperating just simply brilliant.

I didn't comment last night, but I'm going to agree that I think Simon's (and other characters) behavior the last few episodes from Kamina's death - the way it was structured, the things people said and did - was quite well done. Firstly, everything was believable and the characters acted appropriately. Scenes effectively built some of the various character relationships post-mortem, suitable flashbacks and such. Secondly, it allowed viewers to be sympathetic instead of annoyed.

Guess I never appreciated back but rewatching tonight's Lagann again, the moment the team noticed Simon was digging all the way to seeing his expression was one of the most well shot, composed and visualized moments I've ever seen in fiction. Honestly, I just find this quiet sequence of events that lead to Simon's psychological recuperating just simply brilliant. Crazy that I actually forgot about Kamina revelation of his persona was really just one big cover of his fear.

Annoying people will ignore that major character/ plot moment to spout more catchphrases and generally make the show look like some kind of stupid meme.

Man, only One Piece could somehow still remain colorful because any other piece of entertainment would have just simply hammered it home just how depressing and deplorable that situation is. Like, it seriously fucking is and yet somehow I'm not as well effected or it is really hitting me just how fucked up it is.

It happens with One Piece. The backstories that are incredibly obviously trying to make you feel something can still work in spite of their bluntness (Chopper's,
Brook's)
, while the ones where something messed up happens, it's just sort of background information. For anybody caught up on the manga, this is pretty much how
Flevance feels too.
Though Oda's attempts at humor in the midst of serious situations generally are okay, unlike for example, Brotherhood's jarring animu humor.

Don't forget Tokyo Ghoul (which is doing fairly well).
Still, I agree with daveo, there should be a much more solid ending period for Bleach since they can blow through all those chapters pretty quickly.

Considering they've announced their doing an anime original ending for Tokyo Ghoul DESPITE THE MANGA BEING FINISHED

God I don't understand how they could muck up an adaptation so badly

daveo42

Banned
Considering they've announced their doing an anime original ending for Tokyo Ghoul DESPITE THE MANGA BEING FINISHED

Which is insane since he's started up part two of the series as well. I didn't even get the rush job they did for what amounts to the majority of the first major manga arc. Like, I don't even.

BatDan

That doesn't even make sense.
The anime was successful enough to sell the manga, which is what a manga adaptation sets out to do. You'd think they would please all these new fans by following the manga but apparently not...

Whoever got Soma, I hope they don't fuck it up.
I mean, look at World Trigger. Toei made a visual comic and the sales are barely there.

Soulflarz

Banned
Why would you adapt your own ending if a real one exists.

I didn't comment last night, but I'm going to agree that I think Simon's (and other characters) behavior the last few episodes from Kamina's death - the way it was structured, the things people said and did - was quite well done. Firstly, everything was believable and the characters acted appropriately. Scenes effectively built some of the various character relationships post-mortem, suitable flashbacks and such. Secondly, it allowed viewers to be sympathetic instead of annoyed.

I think my issue with it is (i guess future plot discussion)
that as far as I remember, it doesnt end. They never go "peace kamina, im gonna be myself" and forget him, they say it then constant go back to him

I think my issue with it is (i guess future plot discussion)
that as far as I remember, it doesnt end. They never go "peace kamina, im gonna be myself" and forget him, they say it then constant go back to him

Except that doesn't make sense. Why would/should they forget their bro and the founder of Team Dai Gurren? Simon is still his own person, but he's not reliant on Kamina anymore.

Raxus

Either way, it tells us that there's very little they're not allowed to show.
And you still can't say "fuck".

For those still confused on why Schrodinger showed up in Zorin's memory attack, look up "Schrodinger's cat".

There is also a Schrodinger's Meow in episode 14 of Space Dandy "I Can't Be the Only One, Baby"

Steve Blum's q&a panel starts in a few minutes. If you want me to ask him something, post it asap. And I got JYB's picture like an hour ago. So that's taken care of

Raxus

Steve Blum's q&a panel starts in a few minutes. If you want me to ask him something, post it asap. And I got JYB's picture like an hour ago. So that's taken care of

Joke Question: When is DBZ Kai gonna air?

Actual question: What is the trajectory for Toonami in 2015. Is the line up more or less set until Spring?

Will we ever be rid of Bleach?

Soulflarz

Banned
Except that doesn't make sense. Why would/should they forget their bro and the founder of Team Dai Gurren? Simon is still his own person, but he's not reliant on Kamina anymore.

I think its moreso the frequency that it happens. It didnt bother me during my initial watch because the show is exaggerated in any and all ways, but it is a lot :p

Soulflarz

Banned
Tag Climax with me tonight :3

(and not saying tonight to be obnoxious, Im actually not at my Wii U for at least 5 hours. Add me Soulflarz and yeah youre on)

ckohler

This week's theme was "tragic childhoods" with Annie, Robin, and especially Seras all getting flashback scenes of childhoods ruined. Now, on with the reviews:

Attack on Titan - The fight between Annie and Eren was as epic as I’d hoped it’d be. I was a bit surprised that the animation wasn’t better though. You’d think they would have saved their budget to animate the hell out of this final battle. I actually felt legitimately bad for Annie, a character who’s far better realized and more interesting than that cardboard-cutout Eren. Seeing her titan form look legitimately worried and scared as Mikasa masterfully took her down was really quite a haunting moment. The second half of the episode was just plain boring. No surprise there. Leave it to AoT to end its first season on a completely dull exposition scene. As for the final post-credits twist, I don’t even know what to think. If this wasn't a multi-season story, I would have been crazy pissed at the overall lack of answered questions.

Speaking of which, let me talk briefly about one of my gripes with the show so far: the still unexplained nature of the titans. I get that they are supposed to be mysterious. This is set 2000 years after humanity was nearly destroyed so I can accept that knowledge would have been lost to time. What bugs me is that even after 25 episodes I, as a viewer, still can’t tell if the titans are supposed to be scientifically explainable or just purely magical. The latter would probably make more sense but could potentially be an intellectual let-down. However, if there is a scientific explanation, then what’s with those bolts of lightening coming from the sky every time a person takes titan form? What could explain that; an ancient satellite? Maybe season two will do more to quell my thirst of actual answers but knowing this series pacing, I’m not hopeful. All in all this was an entertaining season, particularly the arc featuring the FemTitan.

Bleach - For a series finale, I’m having a hard time remembering what actually transpired. I know that Ichigod beat Ginjo but then suddenly everyone liked Ginjo? I don’t know what happened to make them this way. Apparently, the only person who died was Hulk Butler. All of the FullBringer’s wanted to thank Ginjo for helping them… even though he was a liar? Then Tsukishima returned from the dead and I just about rage-quit the entire episode. I still can't believe the show actually tried to give him a redemption scene. Oh.. my.. god. You can’t redeem a villain like Tsukishima!! He was worse than Ginjo! Ugh. I was very happy to see that the lovely tsun-tsun Riruka did instead have an actual worthy redemption as was willing to sacrifice herself for her new friends. I was equally happy to see she survived to perhaps one day return (in another show, I guess). Finally, we’re left with Ichigod asking to bury Ginjo in Soul Society heaven or whatever even though Ginjo was a apparently murderer and an asshole. Again, I ask why? Whatever. Everyone just loves Ichigod so much they’ll grant his stupid request. They even give Ginjo the Deceiver a full on funeral parade with honors. Cut to credits while watching all these wacky Soul Society characters being wacky one last time. The end.

Now, I missed out on much of Bleach so my opinion of the series is no doubt harsher than it should be allowed to be. I only saw the first fifteen or so episodes of the series and then only from the end of the Aizen arc to the finale. Thus, I'm not really qualified to give the series a fair assessment. I can completely understand if people who’ve grown up with this show and these characters of the past eight years would have enjoyed it much more. However, as someone who wasn’t that engaged with the series, this finale was not only completely forgettable, I found what I did see of Bleach to be slightly better than mediocre at the best of times and downright terrible at worst. So there. :/

Naruto: Shippuden - As bad as I just painted the Bleach finale above, it was still miles better than this train-wreck; easily the worst episode of the night. So Sakura sees Naruto’s crazy four-tails form and decides she’s gonna help him by claiming she’ll rescue her heart-throb, The Sauce, so that her long time friend Naruto can return from crazy land. To do this, she decides to cry like a little school-girl at Naruto rather than being the strong, confident and mature kunoichi every viewer would want her to be. It’s pointless because Naruto’s beast form doesn’t really care anyway and just slaps her down with a single swipe of a tail proving again that Sakura is a joke. Meanwhile, Orochimaru (the only interesting character around) is looking a bit tired after his battle with four-tails when that jerk Sai shows up to deliver a secret message. Snake man isn’t impressed and I think throws a knife at Sai. To Be Continued! Leave it to Shippuden to have 20 minutes of pointless, ineffective melodrama and just two minutes where something almost happens, but doesn't.

One Piece - I thought this was going to be the climax of the flashback but it looks like that’ll be next week instead. Oda has a way of drawing crying children that is very effective at pulling on one's heart-strings. I legitimately felt bad for both Robin and her Mom. I found that history lesson by Professor Clover to be VERY interesting. I hope we eventually learn the name of that forgotten country/island/whatever. To be honest, I’m not finding the Buster Call to be as impressive as I’d hoped. It just seems like a bunch of ships are shooting at the island and that's it. Good ‘ol Saul shows up to rescue Robin (as I expected) before ending on an epic shot of him suplexing a warship! Now THAT was awesome looking! I really enjoyed this episode a lot but I’m also ready to return to modern day. Hopefully that's next week judging by the title of the episode.

Gurren Lagann - Behold Simon’s triumphant return as he finally comes to grips with the meaning of Kamina’s final words: Don’t Believe in him; Believe in Yourself. Simon can never be his bro (who could?!) but that’s okay because now he knows he can be a badass by just being himself: Simon the Digger. At first, I was surprised that some of you guys thought the village of harem girls were actually Beastmen in disguise. If you rewatch the episode closely you’ll see the girls are just standing in the background when the Beastmen surprise Kittan on the bridge. However, in hindsight, I can't blame you for thinking that since something similar already happened in the silly bathhouse episode. As for the field of princesses, I’m pretty sure they were all long dead because as Nia said they are “all the generations that came before me.” Finally, I think it’s important to note that while the girls in the harem village were taken from underground villages, Nia is not like those girls. She’s the biological daughter of the Spiral King.

Hellsing Ultimate - I was hoping this episode would have more badass Police Girl but I didn’t expect anything like this! It was amaizing to watch her finally come to accept her true, vampiric nature. But I did not expect that completely shocking and almost revolting past of hers. It’s no wonder she became a police officer after witnessing what those scum did to her father and mother. Damn, this show continues to push boundaries in acceptable visuals. Watching that scythe bitch have her head worn away like an eraser by Police Girl was so satisfying after what she did. The show also did a good job (especially with the ending) to make me feel bad for the French guy dying. He was a solid bro, even if he was a massive perv. A great (although at times, off-putting) episode. It did leave me with one question, though: What exactly happened to the French guy? Did she absorb him into her mind or something? I thought Seras was going to make him her personal goul but instead his image appeared in her mind. So, I’m not really sure what happened there.

alright, some final thoughts on AoT and Bleach.

Attack on Titan - This show is directed by Tetsuro Araki. As the guy behind the anime versions of Death Note and Highschool of the Dead, his style is very....over-the-top. And it's over-the-top whether that's appropriate or not. The first half of Attack on Titan is rather rough because of this. It's a series that's grim and post-apocalyptic, but it's also hot-blooded shonen. The "grim and post-apocalyptic" part clashes with Araki's style, and this was first noticeable with the severed hand scene in the first episode. While it's very melodramatic on its own, it might be acceptable if the execution did not accentuate that a hundred times over, with speed lines everywhere and the actors screaming their lungs out to accompanying dramatic sound effects. He gets a bit of a better handle on it as the show moves along, but there are definitely frequent issues with the emotional reactions being incongruous with what actually happened. And as problematic as this is, Araki definitely gets the battle scenes right. The camera flies in and out like Sam Raimi directing the original Spider-Man movies, while all the big moments feel intense and satisfying as stuff like the Titan punches are accentuated for impact.

I believe there's a legitimately good story here; while I sympathize with the people who are unhappy that Titan Eren became a thing, it doesn't really bother me. I think the development of the plot is engaging, and quite a few of the plans are clever and fun to see executed. However, the show has definite issues with its characters. Eren feels borderline useless and obnoxious to the point where it seems kind of intentional, and he's incredibly one-note as he seems to run on seething rage and not much else. He's far and away the least interesting character in the show, with his only real redeeming quality being his pivotal role in the plot. I'd rather follow anyone else, but even then Armin and Jean are the only ones who feel particularly fleshed-out. Several of the others can be fun to watch, but they feel equally one-note. There simply needed to be more time spent developing the cast, especially when we''re expected to be impacted by the deaths of characters like Marco, who I literally did not even remember when the time came for him to kick the bucket. Again, the second half improves a bit; while Levi's squad doesn't have a ton of depth or anything, they feel more distinctive and developed than most of the people from that first bunch; outside of the main trio we only really get to know Jean and Potato Girl.

I'm not a fan of the dub, either, which is surprising. Mike McFarland is Funimation's big gun as far as ADR directors go, and J. Michael Tatum is one of their best scriptwriters since the guy worked on the dubs for Steins;Gate and Deadman Wonderland (Patrick Seitz worked on both of those as well and Tatum did AoT solo, so I have to wonder if there's a connection there.) The casting seems generally fine with one exception: Bryce Papenbrook. And Papenbrook isn't a bad actor. He did well in Sword Art Online and Blue Exorcist. But here he has to pull off Eren's rage, and his method for doing so is this incredibly forced growl. He almost sounds like he's trying to play a monster or an alien in another show, which seems like it'd be a conscious choice to play off the idea of Eren being able to transform into a Titan. It's also the wrong choice, because it sounds fucking ridiculous. Honestly, everyone else sounds fine more or less outside of a couple of Armin's line deliveries. Meanwhile, Tatum's script often feels verbose and overwritten to the point of parody. His flowery language works for Steins;Gate, and while it pops up elsewhere it's a little more restrained. My guess would be that he thought he could go overboard with it here because of the period setting.

Overall, it's a series where a lot of the things that bug me feel like they're anime-specific: the added melodrama, the bad pacing in the middle, the random pop songs. The plot interests me enough to not let the thin characters sink the whole thing, and normally I'd be tempted to read the manga if the art wasn't comically bad. Did it live up to the hype? Not even a little bit, but I think it's a decent series that deserves something like a 7/10.

Bleach - I've only watched about half of Bleach. And while I don't feel like I've missed much, I don't really feel comfortable talking about the series as a whole so I'll focus on the Fullbring arc. Long story short, it sucks. It feels simultaneously like an arc that the animation studio rushed because they wanted the series to be over with and an arc that Kubo rushed because either he got bored or it was falling in the popularity rankings. There's training, training, training, and then a rush to the finish line as the Soul Reapers show up to pretty much one-shot everyone and hand Ichigo his powers on a silver platter. The training would have been borderline acceptable if it felt like it built to something, but it doesn't really build to anything here. The fights that play out are quick and uninspired, while backstories are rushed and the final twist feels utterly pointless.

We've made a lot of jokes about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure while this arc was on, but the key difference with Jojo is that it does interesting things with its insane powers. When it has a training arc, that training arc is completely absurd. And this isn't Ichigo's Bizarre Adventure, it's Ichigo's Mildly Strange Adventure. There's so much ridiculous stuff that can be pulled with powers as off-the-wall as these, but Kubo fails to capitalize on any of it and the new characters feel boring as a result. Furthermore, this could be a filler arc for all the implications it seems like it has for the overall plot. Ginjo dies, Tsukishima walks away "redeemed", and Ichigo's just a Soul Reaper again. What a waste of time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Things I like about the Cooler Movie.

It gets right to the point.
Piccolo rules during it.
It's short.

Things I don't like about it.

Cooler looks dumb.
The way they chose to sideline Goku wasn't the best.
The henchmen get ROCKED. Usually they put up a better fight. Though I guess this sort of directly leads to Piccolo ruling and the movie being short.

I was more tired than I thought yesterday and basically drifted in and out between the end of Cooler and the beginning of Big O, which immediately woke me up. I remember most of Dandy, almost none of Bebop (though I have that episode memorized) Almost all of FMA:B (basically missed the last two minutes and rewound during the commerical) and then fell really out of it for 2nd GIG, another show I basically have memorized though.

The Greatest Villain had me wide awake and that also lasted through Samurai Jack, a much easier show to stay awake during compared to last weeks fugue inducing trip through the cosmos.

MikeMyers

Piccolo certainly does shine during non-canon movie henchmen fights, which is pretty nice since he doesn't get that a lot in canon.

Raxus

Sadly due to me taking forever to catch up to GitS and Jack. I am dropping them from my reviews until I go through them. Until then I will review the main block up to Hellsing. I still intend to do a full review on Space Dandy and Attack on Titan. Hopefully by the end of the month. Without further ado...

Reviews time:

Attack on Titan:
It is kind of a shame this is where we decide to end the series since the upcoming arcs were entertaining reads. Add to the fact they have nothing to do for the last 5-10 minutes and we get a ton of dialogue and see Eren eat dinner. Armin was at teh sidelines for most of the episode (his big moment was last episode) but Mikasa and Levi got to strut their stuff. I am not kidding when I say those three are the true main characters...Eren...I'll get to him in the full review...Good action but the show continued to spin its wheels for season 2 and messed up the pacing in the chapter especially in the latter half of the episode.

Bleach:
Thank god it is over. This episode didn't even seem to blow the anime budget as other episodes have or maybe I have become numb to Bleach shanigans. Overall it is infuriating since everything that happens in the conclusion really leaves no impact apart from Ichigo having his Soul Reaper powers back and they didn't even need this arc to do that based on the McGuffin blade. It kind of frustrates me since this arc loses the poignancy of the ending of the Arancar arc nor did it have the promise of early on in the arc when we had more focused story telling with the friends instead opting to focus on its 'crutch' the captains of the Soul Society. Tsun Tsun wakes up to Orihime who sheds tears for her but none of that seems earned because she never interacted with her and Chad didn't even fucking appear. I can never get emotionally invested in anything with Bleach since it constantly feels like a barrage of characters. I do not look forward to the next arc animated unless they find a way to quickly pace through some episodes ala Final Act.

Shippuden:
Speaking of shitty pacing. Poor animation. This episode was actually somewhat laughable in its incompetence.In the past 4 episodes we have had Naruto go 4 tails, attack Orichimaru and get snapped out of 4 tails. That is about it. Despite how trumped up the 3 tails was by Jiraya it seems to have been resolved almost instantly. It is hilarious. I am filing this under so bad it's good.

One Piece:

Finally the power hours. This episode and next are fantastic. Feels were felt all over again even when I saw them coming. The highlight, of course being the exchange between Olivia and Robin. We also learn some huge things for the overarching plot and the Void Century. Also, Saul lifted a frikkin' boat. Things aren't over going to shit for Robin :(

TTGL:

Simon finally is free from his funk. Nia continues to drop truthbombs to everyone she meets and we learn about her backstory. Like always the episodes flow smoothly and tiny character moments for the crew is always delightful (FIRE!). My only nitpick for the episode is that Simon's PTSD dives a little TOO deep into the crazy side for my tastes. It is nice the series acknowledges the loss of such an important character without glossing over it or bringing him back in some bullshit manner. However, creating multiple figures of Kamina in his room >.> yeah...pretty bonkers. It is just a nitpick to an otherwise fantastic episode and Simon is pretty badass from this point on.

Hellsing Ultimate:
Now the humor is excised from this episode we can focus on how awesome Seras is. Surprisingly good ending with Pip ;_;7. Shame we only have one episode left. The necrophilia scene was unexpected and I'd expect Seras to be much more messed up because of it. Surprised she grew up so well adjusted aside from the whole vampire thing.

Rankings:

God Tier:
One Piece

Great Tier:
TTGL
Hellsing Ultimate

Mid Tier:

Attack on Titan
Bleach

So Bad it's Good Tier:
Shippuden

Seda

alright, some final thoughts on AoT and Bleach.

<snip>

GMN, I just want to say that you are pretty well-worded and seeing your opinions on things is always an interesting read.

My biggest issues with Attack on Titan were:

1.) The "one-note" characters (the best term to use, I feel). Eren is nothing more than a useless hothead. Mikasa exists just to fawn over Eren. Marco's death and the narrative around it didn't resonate at all because I had no idea who he was. Eren's disbelief that Annie might be a Titan doesn't feel right either because we barely saw interaction between them outside of a single training exercise. There are many side characters that really don't have any characteristics at all other than to provide a voice sometimes. Jean at least showed some dynamic behavior from scene to scene - it was almost too inconsistent to be believable, but still better than the alternative. Poor characters compound many of the other issues, easily.

2.) Too many things are a mystery. There's no hook for me to latch onto why I should keep paying attention. I'm no expert on what constitutes a 'good mystery', but the feed of information should be somewhat regular to maintain viewer engagement. It's not even a subject that characters can actually contemplate about because there's nothing to go on. AoT danced around things the whole way through.

3.) Personality-less villains are boring. More of a personal preference here, but the intersection of antagonists and protagonists is essential to a compelling narrative (the 'conflict', if you will.) But all we have for antagonists are mostly zombies, so instead, everything is centered around 'survival'. And with characters like the ones found on Attack on Titan, it's not appealing.

Other issues include excessive melodrama and/or internal monologues that go on and on, pacing, and a questionable dub.

Final thought: The decision to center an early plot point around "Eren using Titan form to lift a large boulder and plug a hole in the wall" is baffling to me. I'm having a hard time putting this to words, but it's just the most blunt and specific event to use for a climatic moment.

---

As for Bleach FullBring stuff, I'm mentally grouping it with the Band of Seven Inuyasha arc - mostly pointless fill-time.

---

Also, vague Lich King statement alert:

WZZVAa8.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Adult Swim Games to make Toonami/Adult Swim crossover fighting flash game.

....or we'll see more stuff like Toonami shirts.....T.O.M bobblehead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom