• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_ofejsu5gQC1rvb8cmo1_250.gif

Moaradin

I think HxH is by far the best show on the block by a country mile, especially with the stuff we're getting into. Though these aren't based on first impressions. I've seen every show on the block to completion at this point.

JoJo season 1 is good but it never reached that status for me until the later seasons.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm just glad people are liking Part 1. It's good, but in comparison to the rest of the series, it doesn't tend to rank as high for those who've seen/read everything. Not to pull the "oh man, just wait until further in HxH/One Piece" card, but I feel that Part 1 tends to be the "least" representative of what Jojo is about overall, even if it's still pretty good.

That's why fans recommend to just skip to Part 2 if Part 1 isn't doing it for you since you can still easily follow the plot despite the switch in characters, settings, etc.

Now I just wonder how the OP is going to be shortened next week. Just neat that we got the full ED each week, guess they wanted to get the most out of their licensed music.

cntr

Banned
also honestly Episode 2 is more representative of what Part 1 is like compared to Episode 1, you didn't get the inane shit like "hello I am Speedbump and here is my Oddjob hat"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm just super bummed that it seems like HxH is finally going to "start" for real, yet we gotta wait THREE weeks for a new episode. At the very least, the recap episode won't feel as tedious this time around since we didn't have a HxH marathon lately.

The funny thing is, Part 1 is kinda grounded in comparison to the rest of the series.

also honestly Episode 2 is more representative of what Part 1 is like compared to Episode 1, you didn't get the inane shit like "hello I am Speedbump and here is my Oddjob hat"
Absolutely agree. I don't hate Part 1 by any means, it's just, again, as someone who has read/seen all 7 parts & is keeping up with the current Part 8, it makes Part 1 feel like the "blueprint" of Araki's style.

It's why I always tell people "hey, if Part 1 isn't doing anything for you, totally understandable, skip to Part 2 or 3" to get a better sense of the overall tone & craziness of Jojo.

Crocodile

I really hate the "skip Parts" advice. Part I is short, to the point with little fat, and explores good elements that are kind of lost in later parts (and replaced with good things to be sure but there are things Part I does well that kind of fall to the wayside later that I think is unfortunate). Part III (and Part II to a lesser degree) also suffer I feel if you haven't seen Part I.

Grexeno

I really hate the "skip Parts" advice. Part I is short, to the point with little fat, and explores good elements that are kind of lost in later parts (and replaced with good things to be sure but there are things Part I does well that kind of fall to the wayside later that I think is unfortunate). Part III (and Part II to a lesser degree) also suffer I feel if you haven't seen Part I.
I guess the idea is to get someone into JoJo vs. they never get past parts they don't like even if a different part would be their favorite thing ever.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess the idea is to get someone into JoJo vs. they never get past parts they don't like even if a different part would be their favorite thing ever.
This. I totally understand Croc's logic of wanting to get the most out of the overarching plot that connects the parts, but I'd rather people try to get into another part than just flat out dropping the seris because "oh, part 1 wasn't doing it for me, so I dropped it" & not realizing how different the series becomes.

Breads

Banned
Part one ranks pretty low in terms of people's favorite Jojo arcs but honestly... it's still Jojo. Which means it's still pretty god damn good. It the a fabulous mix of cheesy and swoll and the VO work in the dub in is killing it. If you're already all in on Jojo by the first arc then you are going to enjoy the rest of the series. It only gets better from here.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I didn't really like the second episode of JoJo as much as the first. It's not bad by any stretch, but I was like, "okay I get it Dio is an asshole, move along." And I didn't really like that fight/confrontation in the alley at all.

That said, the vampire stuff definitely piqued my interest, and I'm interested to see where they go from here.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I wouldn't go that far.

I would! As a person who knew about Dio before seeing this is animated form, he was much more than the 1-note, non-developed antagonist I expected.

There's not many shows currently on the block that let us see a character develop through different ages of his life right now. We're thrown into a lot of teenage lives and expected to connect to them. This is cool when you're still a teen, but on an "adult action block", it can get pretty shallow.

Maybe it's just the "new show feeling" but I think Jojo is the best show on the block right now by a country mile.

More consistent than Gundam by a large margin, much more fresh than DBZ, not full of pacing issues like One Piece, and more mature and clear in what it wants to be and how it's portrayed than HxH.

I dunno if Part 1 is better than One Punch Man... they're both quite enjoyable in their own ways.

I think HxH is by far the best show on the block by a country mile, especially with the stuff we're getting into. Though these aren't based on first impressions. I've seen every show on the block to completion at this point.

I look forward to the day I can feel this way, haha. Right now I just feel like I kinda wish some of the characters in the Zoldyck estate became main cast, now that Leorio and Kurapikachu are out for now. I liked how well paced the last arc was in a way, at least.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece is was and always will be the only show worth stanning for. Mobile Fighter G Gundam already had its chance.

Regiruler

I didn't really like the second episode of JoJo as much as the first. It's not bad by any stretch, but I was like, "okay I get it Dio is an asshole, move along." And I didn't really like that fight/confrontation in the alley at all.

That said, the vampire stuff definitely piqued my interest, and I'm interested to see where they go from here.

What'd you not like about the alley fight?

Finished rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho just now. Having read the manga ending recently, I really appreciate how the anime changed and expanded things. There was practically nothing to animate for the Demon World Tournament, but they managed to still make some pretty satisfying matches, including giving pretty neat attacks to Mukuro and others. Though it was obviously fan service to bring back so much stuff from the Dark Tournament, including Koenma and George providing commentary, it was definitely the right move. But not just that, they managed to provide closure for the character arcs set up earlier before Togashi rushed the ending. Kurama decides to stick to his human form, Hiei no longer has a death wish, Yusuke makes peace with Raizen, etc.

The anime ending was also so much more satisfying than the manga ending. Genkai doesn't randomly die of old age, the integration of demons into human society is still a far future goal as opposed to something that happens right away, they managed to work in the best part of the random one-off stories in the manga after the Demon World arc with alien Hiei, and the character interaction is great.

Htown

What'd you not like about the alley fight?

it just didn't do anything for me.

I also have to be real about the fact that it feels like a good 60 percent of the accents in the show don't really work.

Like I said, I don't even dislike the show at all, I've just cooled on it a little bit.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

This is all still effectively set up stuff, which ends with sort of an early story climax in episode 3. After maybe 2 more episodes or so from where we are now I'd say you'd have a more fleshed out idea of what Part 1 is as a whole. Of course, you'd also be about halfway done with Part 1, too, so that certainly helps.

Part 1 is kind of "I'm still just getting established so I'mma make a goofy little shounen series about vampires." After that it's sort of like "well, that went pretty well, now let's really get crazy!" and the series starts to turn into its more renowned and famous form.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Fun fact about JoJo's opening: the protagonists of JoJo Parts 1-6 all appear in the OP. One of the manga panels featured depicted an event that occurred in Part 4's anime last week.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Funny you should mention that since Part 1 JoJo predates the Cell Saga.

*nod* Just mean to the average Toonami watcher / most of us here. Dragon Ball Z and these sagas are like old nostalgic re-watches for most of us.

When I think about how much things in P1, 2, and 3 inspired 90s fighting games, it freaks me out, lol.

Raxus

If that piqued your interest then watch the next episode.

they go HAM with it

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm an old and the stuff we're watching in JoJo came out when I was two years old.
Wait, so you were only two years old in 2012, when Jojo started airing? So you're only 6 now?!?!

I wasn't even a year old when Part 4 began.

Htown

i would assume we'll get the shortened opening from now on. We generally get the full OP once, and then a shortened version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom