• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

1. Her whole point the entire series is that she wanted to fight for better conditions for people, right? I think it started off as an innocent desire, but from the birth of the series, people wanted to kill her for it... it's escalating around her.

2. Bad working conditions, being mistreated, not getting paid enough for EA for their voice work, the usual.

3. Didn't we hear early on, after they failed to assassinate Kudelia, that they'd use her in another way? They've been over-inflating her important and clout, using her to ignorantly lead needy people into slaughter. A figurehead that lined their targets up for easy shooting.

The twist for them is that she's not cracking over being in the middle of a murdered rally, she jumps right back and tries to use it to strengthen her resolve.

1-2.) If it's working conditions, the show has done a terrible job showing it. She's said they've been "beaten and oppressed" (I think those are the words she used), but it's not compelling nor will it gain my empathy if they are just words and with nothing behind them to actually get me invested in this "cause" which they've danced around the whole series.

3.) I'm talking about the rebels who are fighting against Gjallerhorn. We know Kudelia is from some upper class family on Mars, but I'm having a hard time believing that alone is enough for people to rally behind her for their cause, whatever it is.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
1-2.) If it's working conditions, the show has done a terrible job showing it. She's said they've been "beaten and oppressed" (I think those are the words she used), but it's not compelling nor will it gain my empathy if they are just words and with nothing behind them to actually get me invested in this "cause" which they've danced around the whole series.

3.) I'm talking about the rebels who are fighting against Gjallerhorn. We know Kudelia is from some upper class family on Mars, but I'm having a hard time believing that alone is enough for people to rally behind her for their cause, whatever it is.

Yeah, I think they're trying to weave a "The oppressed VS the oppressors, no matter the issue!" situation, but I don't think WE really have been pushed to feeling like things are all that bad. We get hints (Child soldiers here, lame living conditions and mentions of people escaping the slums there), but we don't really see much actively happening.

I actually wished the "bad guys" we more obviously, organized and evil. The most we see is evil talking behind the scenes, but we could really see things like people being killed off as they try to figure out Tekkaden's weaknesses, or people obviously in dire straits.

As far as Kudy and the rallying behind her, I think it's just the fact that she's a person attached to people in charge, who want to fight (politically?) for them. I feel like the only thing that makes people impressed with her is that she's obviously been the target of assassination over and over.

Overall, the show does feel like it's depending on character designs, fancy words, and the basic framing of a story to carry it. I don't really feel much for Add to dictionary as an entity yet either, and the big bads feel more like big misunderstandings, unless they're comically evil. Gundam does like to have relatable good and evil sides, but I think the evil is a bit too soft from our angle, right now.

Raxus

At this point the author falls asleep at the keyboard and accidently wrote Fumitan x1000 times under Kudelia's script

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Why did these guys lead a protest with guns and tanks? Like... really dumb. They'd have been safer protesting with picket signs and megaphones.

Seda

Yeah, I think they're trying to weave a "The oppressed VS the oppressors, no matter the issue!" situation, but I don't think WE really have been pushed to feeling like things are all that bad.

Yeah I agree this is probably my hangup. On Mars we saw Atra apparently working in a shop, Biscuit's family works with a farm. On dort people seems have houses, employment, clothes.. so I'm not sure what the "oppression" I'm supposed to be seeing is? We saw some homeless people on Mars in a flashback, but there was no indication that Gjallerhorn has anything to do with that.

The child soldier stuff was so long ago I don't remember how that particular group fit into the picture or aligns with Gjallerhorn. I should probably refresh on that.

Okay, so maybe I missed it in-between all this Dort and brother nonsense but why did that random dude put in a spy-maid to watch that little girl? She was nothing back then.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah I agree this is probably my hangup. On Mars we saw Atra apparently working in a shop, Biscuit's family works with a farm. On dort people seems have houses, employment, clothes.. so I'm not sure what the "oppression" I'm supposed to be seeing is? We saw some homeless people on Mars in a flashback, but there was no indication that Gjallerhorn has anything to do with that.

The child soldier stuff was so long ago I don't remember how that particular group fit into the picture or aligns with Gjallerhorn. I should probably refresh on that.

I too was totally surprised when Biscuit's family was working on lush, expansive farmland.

I think the first commericials did the show a bit of a disservice, but that's also to say the first episodes did the same. We get the idea we were seeing horribly oppressed kids when were going to burst out of basically slave labor, and take a desperate girl to earth to fight for civil rights...

... and all of that kinda happens, but it's lost a lot of clarity. I don't LIKE shows spoon feeding me things, but I also don't like them to let things flounder about and only depend on hints and suggestions.

Okay, so maybe I missed it in-between all this Dort and brother nonsense but why did that random dude put in a spy-maid to watch that little girl? She was nothing back then.

She was cute, blonde, opinionated, and had A REAL BOOK! All the ingredients of becoming a future Joan d'Arc.

Seda

I don't LIKE shows spoon feeding me things, but I also don't like them to let things flounder about and only depend on hints and suggestions.

Hah, I'm pretty sure I said this exact thing in a podcast wrt this. Here I just feel like I need more reason to understand what the underlying conflict to everything here is.

You'd think people in the news would recognize someone like Kudelia.

The Roger Rabbit reboot took a dark turn

What are you talking about, man? Roger Rabbit was already fucking dark.

E9cswJA.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think DORT saga could have been better with:

-- Replacing the "Human Debris" arc entirely. Move some of that mecha-battle to the escalation of killing innocents in this protest.

-- Some of the rebels actually noticing they were walking into a death trap. They're all SO STUPID.

These workers really are overly innocent idiots led to easy slaughter. I guess everyone is as innocently ready to jump to *REVOLUTION!* as Kudelia. Fumitan, NO ONE here has had their eyes clouded by reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom