• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm back.

There's a lot in the dort arc that bugs me.

But one thing sticks out. So the plan was for these rebels to take these busted suits/ships.

Did they tell the guys who were guarding the suits/ships about this? Because it looks like they got blown the fuck away.

Seda

Earlier in the series, I had gotten the impression that Mika /does/ understand the emotions of other people, but he just wasn't expressive of his own.

More recently though, he seems more "robot", which isn't as interesting.

As much as we make fun of the Dort dudes, I do kinda feel bad for them. Gjallarhorn are dicks and they don't deserve to die in space like that.

I'm just flipping through the reactions as I play Bravely Second.

This game is better than I expected FWIW.

Is it weird hearing Rusty Venture as an RPG protagonist?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I just feel like, as others start expressing more emotions (because they're comfortable around each other now), Mika's still stunted at the same spot he's always been.

It's actually kind of nice that he reflects on issues... but doesn't let them wear him down, and make him pause or shift much.

It's kinda nice compared to Amuro or Kamille. Not... too much different from Heero? Well, no... even he has more emotion than early Heero.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's our problem freee, philosophyyyy.... Alayah-Vinjana!

There's a gundam protagonist named Heero? lol

tumblr_mpqcy55sc01qghohqo1_500.gif

Seda

I just feel like, as others start expressing more emotions (because they're comfortable around each other now), Mika's still stunted at the same spot he's always been.

It's actually kind of nice that he reflects on issues... but doesn't let them wear him down, and make him pause or shift much.

It's kinda nice compared to Amuro or Kamille. Not... too much different from Heero? Well, no... even he has more emotion than early Heero.

Yeah, those are the things that I like about him. There was a scene earlier where Atra asked Mika if he would be alright. Mika responds something to the effect of: "Of course, I have your charm after all". Obviously Mika doesn't think the charm will actually/literally keep him safe, but he acknowledges the gesture Atra made and he knows bringing it up at that point will comfort her. Stuff like that makes me think he not totally devoid of emotion.

There's a gundam protagonist named Heero? lol

One of the most well known, if not the most.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, those are the things that I like about him. There was a scene earlier where Atra asked Mika if he would be alright. Mika responds something to the effect of: "Of course, I have your charm after all". Obviously Mika doesn't think the charm will actually/literally keep him safe, but he acknowledges the gesture Atra made and he know bringing it up at that point we comfort her. Stuff like that makes me think he not totally devoid of emotion

It was surprising, he's not going out of his way to be cold to the women who like him. Especially since "cold" guys like him normally push people way, so no one will miss them when they inevitably die.

I'm still a bit surprised at his "I thought you were Cute." when he kissed Kudelia. Less copycate than "I saw Naze do this, and thought I'd try it!", and a pretty natural reason as to why to do such a thing. While Kudelia, raised in normal society, thinks kissing = marriage, he has a better grasp of the basics than I'd expect.

cntr

Banned
I will always appreciate that Neal Stephenson got away with naming a main character "Hiro Protagonist"

It was surprising, he's not going out of his way to be cold to the women who like him. Especially since "cold" guys like him normally push people way, so no one will miss them when they inevitably die.

I'm still a bit surprised at his "I thought you were Cute." when he kissed Kudelia. Less copycate than "I saw Naze do this, and thought I'd try it!", and a pretty natural reason as to why to do such a thing. While Kudelia, raised in normal society, thinks kissing = marriage, he has a better grasp of the basics than I'd expect.
IBO might not be great, but Mika's a fantastic character. He's the "quiet protagonisst" executed well, because he's actually quiet and reserved, not an outright sociopath.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm really not sketching anything tonight, lol. I'll save the desire to sketch dump for our late movie next week.

Just to say, I generally like IBO's mix of designs. lots of skin colors, body builds, varied ages... they try to overload on them, and we probably could drop a few people on every side of the situation, but I really appreciate it, regardless.

IBO might not be great, but Mika's a fantastic character. He's the "quiet protagonisst" executed well, because he's actually quiet and reserved, not an outright sociopath.

Yeah, he is a well done take on the archetype. He still betrays my expectations fairly often, and he stays out of being the plain "bad guy all the girls want", by actually having much more humanity than his dry look and flat talking leads one to expect.

cntr

Banned
you know, it's kind of telling that IBO got a lot worse when it started focusing on Gundam politics over the characters

Seda

I will always appreciate that Neal Stephenson got away with naming a main character "Hiro Protagonist"

I've been saying from the beginning of this show that I really like Mika. Jst the last couple of episodes have kinda played up his semi-robot nature a little too much.

Highlight is when Atra yelled to him (paraphrase): 'Kudelia is upset. You're supposed to comfort women when they are crying!.' And then Mika really awkwardly embraces.....her...head? That whole scene was just weirdly executed.

you know, it's kind of telling that IBO got a lot worse when it started focusing on Gundam politics over the characters

I would agree with this, yes. The characters early on is what got me intrigued in the show.

actually having much more humanity than his dry look and flat talking leads one to expect.

Also agree

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I was expecting Mika to ruin that moment, actually. When 1 girl you know has a thing for you tells you to comfort the OTHER girl who has a thing for you... you're in the middle of a minefield.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's almost entirely because none of that political stuff had been set up properly. We have no idea what the differing factions are fighting over or how they are positioning themselves, there's no background or anything. You can't have a plot based around political posturing and shifting alliances and all that shit they want to do without establishing the stakes and what they'e jockying for. I mean shit, even your average soap opera knows that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is human Ammy-girl suppose to be a goofy Haman Karn-a-like?
tumblr_mii9z4FJGq1qd37umo1_400.gif

Now to watch an awkward moment of co-op crying.

cntr

Banned
I can't remember the last time when a Gundam show's politics was actually good

G Gundam probably had the best political system out of all Gundams.

Line_HTX

I got sucked into the Xenoverse 2 vortex, and forgot there was IBO marathon. I did actually miss a couple of eps here and there.

Always nice to see SAB CA talk more in this thread, haha

;P

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't remember the last time when a Gundam show's politics was actually good

G Gundam probably had the best political system out of all Gundams.

This is true. Not just because they solved all their problems with giant robot fights either.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Line_HTX, I almost didn't recognize you with that avatar, lol.

Minus it's inching towards "now kiss!" territory, I don't mind seeing Kudelia and Atra finally let out their frustrations born from the DORT saga. Kudy went from "tens of people died in front of me, one in my arms, and one who I just said was like a sister!" and Atra got beat worse than basically any of the living men in the series... and both of them have been acting strong, and thinking about others since those situations happened.

NOW LETS DO REVOLUTION!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I find it interesting that the characters who at first glance had the potential to be the most annoying and terrible characters due to their archetypes (Mikazuki, Atra) have turned out to be the best characters in the show.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bravely Second is great. Some of the skits are a bit too much for me. Dean Venture Summer Wars Naruto Shippuden filler guy does a great job.

Line_HTX

I find it interesting that the characters who at first glance had the potential to be the most annoying and terrible characters due to their archetypes (Mikazuki, Atra) have turned out to be the best characters in the show.

It's a pleasant surprise to say the least.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"Burn away that Ancient Chaff... FOR THE GLORY OF LIFE FIBERS!"

I still think that Fumitan's actual name is "Fumita", and Fumitan is just an attempt to make it sound cute.

I can't hear ___-tan without thinking about something like the OS-Tan. maybe Win2000-tan is her sister...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom