• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

I had never heard of Owlboy until recently when a friend told me it's been in development for like a decade. I see a fair amount of enthusiasm for it.

ckohler

xAUT7rY.png

Regiruler

Some of the references by the Arby's twitter are incredible.
Granted they probably needed it after getting a decade worth of bad pr through comedy.

I had their french dip on a way back from a math conference when our professor picked the location. It was actually pretty good.

These are the only ones that showed up in the list posted on TV By The Numbers.

Code:
Show				Net		Time		Total Viewers (000s)	18-49 rating
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O.	ADULT SWIM	12:00 AM	912			0.4
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O.	ADULT SWIM	12:30 AM	807			0.4
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O.	ADULT SWIM	1:00 AM		744			0.3

That's higher than I thought.

Mizerman

These are the only ones that showed up in the list posted on TV By The Numbers.

Code:
Show				Net		Time		Total Viewers (000s)	18-49 rating
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O.	ADULT SWIM	12:00 AM	912			0.4
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O.	ADULT SWIM	12:30 AM	807			0.4
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O.	ADULT SWIM	1:00 AM		744			0.3

Heh. More flags needed to be raised.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SO in case it was missed Discotek announced they are dubbing and releasing Blue Jacket Lupin next year and indeed let the speculation commence.
Doesn't Discotek only get the rights for home releases? I could've sworn DeMarco answered someone's question of having Discotek be part of the Toonami group.

Doesn't Discotek only get the rights for home releases? I could've sworn DeMarco answered someone's question of having Discotek be part of the Toonami group.

Yeah, Discotek is only a publisher. To my knowledge, they don't actually do any dubbing in-house like Funimation or Sentai does.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, Discotek is only a publisher. To my knowledge, they don't actually do any dubbing in-house like Funimation or Sentai does.
That's what I figured. They mainly rescue up obscure stuff from the '70s to '90s plus maybe some newer stuff that isn't really popular (I'm still waiting for their damn Sega Hard Girls release for over a year now).

Seda

(I'm not too familiar with Lupin)

I think it's a little weird how Fujiko Mine specifies "female thief" and "female spy".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's what I figured. They mainly rescue up obscure stuff from the '70s to '90s plus maybe some newer stuff that isn't really popular (I'm still waiting for their damn Sega Hard Girls release for over a year now).

Most of it isn't obscure. Almost all of it is old as hell.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NARUTO - EPISODE SEVENTY-THREE: Forbidden Secret Technique, Reaper Death Seal!

Oh my, maybe I should have done this one on Halloween! The Third Hokage Summoned Ichigo, the Death Reaper, in Attack Mode!

Under fire.

Lord Hokage is still taking on fire from his predecessors while the summoning is finished. He gets ghost fisted by the reaper and coughs up blood. Not a good sign but it seems the ritual is finished. All that is left is to grab the former Hokages from beyond the veil.

Zk3t7fR.gif

OH SHIT HE RIPPED THEIR SOULS OUT! They forgive him though, and he forgives them as he seals their souls inside of him! He's got the same symbol on him that Naruto does....funny coincidence.

Pour one out for the fallen.

So that's who Orochimaru used for the ritual. RIP in peace, Sound Ninja. The third remembers his time with the first and second. The first gives him the believe in the villagers who believe in you speech while the second tells him to believe in the people and work hard for them because that's where your successor will come from. This makes him angry because Orochimaru was once a possible successor. The fight is now one on one again. Grass Snake and Monkey Man. Hokage gets a hold of him after a bit more fighting and you guessed it, more ghost fisting. Orochimaru uses telekinesis to try and kill his master with his flying sword!

Squish.

Chunin versus Hydra snake fight isn't going well. BRING DOWN THE HOUSE JUTSU? Who is the DJ of this party? Why it's Jiraiya summoning a giant unnamed toad to squash the fuck out of the hydra. He shows off as usual and asks the squirt Ibiki where the Hokage is.

Mexican Ninja Standoff.

Well, the Hokage is fucked. I guess Enma saved him from dying right there. But why didn't the old man dodge it? Well, he's already dead. The reaper death seal demands the life of the one who used it. Orochimaru tries to use a jutsu to escape...but he is sealed off! An ironic fate of one who turned to evil in order to learn every jutsu. This is the jutsu that sealed the nine tailed fox. Ghost hand is stealing Orochimaru's blackened soul! Say goodbye. Sarutobi also mentions that the reaper eats said souls so there is no rest for the wicked. Orochimaru is beyond LEGIT SHOOK. Sarutobi's soul will be there as well to fight him eternally. The reaper takes the dagger out of his mouth and breaks off some souls to eat. Metal as hell. Orochimaru tries to move his sword in deeper and the soul does start to reenter his body slowly. It's an endurance race of the damned.

LEGIT SHOOK TREE RUNNING

Iruka is evacuating the academy students and Konohamaru is leading his chicken friends. His grandpa told him these tunnels were built strong. Kakuro is carrying Gaara and wonders which one won, Temari or the Sauce. We all know the answer to that one as Shurikens start flying. Temari is still going? He didn't finish her. Pakkun smells Sauce as well. Lots of other people as well though, there's something else out there. Friend or foe? Pakkun doesn't know...but it isn't human. Temari wants to fight but it's Kankuro's turn!

Who is this guy again?

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER. Shino is sick and tired of being forgotten. He bugged the sauce as he left the area. Besides Sasuke wants to finish his fight with Gaara anyways. Sauce asks if he needs help but Shino says in ten minutes he'll come beat Gaara for him. Sauce retorts that he'll be done by then anyways and jumps away. Kankuro laughs...telling him about how monstrous Gaara is. The real demon of the sand.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
(I'm not too familiar with Lupin)

I think it's a little weird how Fujiko Mine specifies "female thief" and "female spy".

I was more odded out by how Jigen refers to himself as "cool", or such. But Fujiko... that's pretty perfect for the anime version of her character. She manipulates people based on the fact that she knows exactly what they expect when they see her mount Fuji-sized boobs , and she's not afraid to admit it, and use it to her advantage. As a quote from an old 90s anime mag said "Fujiko Mine IS Woman".

She's a classic femme fatale that's purposely dated, and normally met with characters who are a bit more modern in their portrayals of feminine charm and strength.

Tony Oliver's Lupin still sticks in my head, even though I respect the JP, and there's been other ENG VAs for the character since then (I also miss his Shishigami BANG in Blazblue overall. Bang still looks like a pissed off Rick Hunter to me...) . Japanese Jigen has been doing the role for SO LONG, and has an "age" to his voice that seems to shift about between releases, but it's great he's been able to do it for so long. I'm glad Oliver is back, and Lex Lang seems to pop up pretty rarely lately, so good to see him back as Goemon, too. Epcar and Ruff are always appreciated too, though at least they seem to pop up in modern work more, still.

I really enjoyed Part IV as it was releasing on Crunchyroll. Lupin fits alongside something like Cowboy Bebop, in that it's oldschool anime style maturity is the kind of thing I want more of on Toonami. The anime cast does a nice job embracing the newerworld than their origin (Internet! Social Media!), but they still have groundings in being master-level thieves and grifters with classic experience. The Italian series-specific characters do a nice job at bringing modern sensibilities to the show, without forcing the classics to get TOO up to date, which I personally appreciate.

Zenigata, however... his modern character seems way more hardboiled and professional than his older-anime takes. His JP voice sounds AWESOME in how experienced and dedicated he's been to keep up with a master thief for all these years, and I look forward to seeing if the new US work can maintain that. He's not as comic relief as he has been in past works.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I swear to god, I can't stop laughing at how absurd this addition is. Like, how fucked up are they that they thought this was ok?

Jarate

Banned
Remember when it was announced and I said that Om,ega Force would literally be the last company id trust for a berserk game?

And this is coming from a huge Omega Force and Berserk fan

Chase17

My entire knowledge of One Piece has come from watching a random episode every now and then over the years. Decided to read volume 1 (as I would never catch up with the anime) and figured I'd post some random thoughts.

-Luffy can't swim? Pretty funny
-Wasn't expecting death by tripping
-Seems weird that a guy who scared a shark off with his looks lost an arm (but it was cool)

Overall, I liked it and and it had some panels that made me laugh. Going to read volume sometime soon and hopefully I'll hate it (as even buying this digitally it would get costly to get caught up).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My entire knowledge of One Piece has come from watching a random episode every now and then over the years. Decided to read volume 1 (as I would never catch up with the anime) and figured I'd post some random thoughts.

-Seems weird that a guy who scared a shark off with his looks lost an arm (but it was cool)

Overall, I liked it and and it had some panels that made me laugh. Going to read volume sometime soon and hopefully I'll hate it (as even buying this digitally it would get costly to get caught up).

Careful, if you get to Arlong Park you'll turn into one of us.

ckohler

It's a fantastic series. Oda is a master at foreshadowing so don't be surprised if little things you notice come back in big ways.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would settle for like an adventure game or something because almost everything else is fine beyond the tedious combat
Absolutely agreed. Color Splash is so close to being a good game. The writing, pacing, & presentation are so much better than Sticker Star, & while they fixed a FEW issues with the battle mechanics, they still managed to take a few steps back like the awful, random Kamek battles & STILL REQUIRING THING ITEMS TO CLEAR BOSS BATTLES, THE MAIN DAMN ISSUE I HAD WITH STICKER STAR.

If I wasn't so buried with backlog stuff & waiting to make FF15 my next big RPG, I would honestly replay the N64 & GCN games for a 3rd or 4th time now. Though I just hope my Wii's component cables will look better than the usual GCN cables, because man, replaying Wario World on my 43" HDTV looked sooooooo washed out.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I swear to god, I can't stop laughing at how absurd this addition is. Like, how fucked up are they that they thought this was ok?

It's a mount, and really if you're going to have mounts in a Berserk game, how could you NOT have rape horse in there?

People getting their panties in a twist about rape-y shit in a game about BERSERK of all goddamn things is boggling to me. I mean, I get complaining about the rape-y stuff and therefore not liking Berserk in general, obviously, but that's not really what we're talking about here.

That said, the preorder DLC is really skeevy.

Jarate

Banned
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dordrecht

I FOUND THE HOMELAND

Dordrecht (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈdɔrdrɛxt] ( listen)), colloquially Dordt [dɔrt], historically in English named Dort, is a city and municipality in the western Netherlands, located in the province of South Holland. It is the fourth largest city of the province, having a population of 118,782 in 2014. The municipality covers the entire Dordrecht Island, also often called Het Eiland van Dordt (the Island of Dordt), bordered by the rivers Oude Maas, Beneden Merwede, Nieuwe Merwede, Hollands Diep, and Dordtsche Kil. Dordrecht is the largest and most important city in the Drechtsteden and is also part of the Randstad, the main conurbation in the Netherlands. Dordrecht is the oldest city in the Holland area and has a rich history and culture.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's a mount, and really if you're going to have mounts in a Berserk game, how could you NOT have rape horse in there?

People getting their panties in a twist about rape-y shit in a game about BERSERK of all goddamn things is boggling to me. I mean, I get complaining about the rape-y stuff and therefore not liking Berserk in general, obviously, but that's not really what we're talking about here.

That said, the preorder DLC is really skeevy.

They could have put in Skull Knight's horse instead. It's not like rape horse was the only horse and they had no other options. They've just been leaning into the rape-y shit really hard with this game.

Absolutely agreed. Color Splash is so close to being a good game. The writing, pacing, & presentation are so much better than Sticker Star, & while they fixed a FEW issues with the battle mechanics, they still managed to take a few steps back like the awful, random Kamek battles & STILL REQUIRING THING ITEMS TO CLEAR BOSS BATTLES, THE MAIN DAMN ISSUE I HAD WITH STICKER STAR.

If I wasn't so buried with backlog stuff & waiting to make FF15 my next big RPG, I would honestly replay the N64 & GCN games for a 3rd or 4th time now. Though I just hope my Wii's component cables will look better than the usual GCN cables, because man, replaying Wario World on my 43" HDTV looked sooooooo washed out.

Like, the very least they can do at this point is just remove the inventory management (it's not as awful as Sticker Star but it's still annoying as hell to scroll through this big stack of cards and have to periodically decide which ones you don't want while praying you won't need them later) and make the battles easier to avoid; bring back the dash from the N64 game or something.

It still hasn't really fixed the problem Sticker Star had where battles are of so little consequence that they feel like they're punishing the player. Like, hey, you failed to avoid this enemy in the field, so now you have to engage in this really slow combat to lose your cards. The coins you get don't matter much because coins are everywhere, and while the incremental paint upgrades are an improvement over Sticker Star just giving you NOTHING AT ALL, they feel so slight that it's tough to see their benefit. I'm sure later in the long run I'll be happy to have 300 maximum paint instead of 200 but I'm not sure I'll be able to tell the difference when I actually get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom