• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

vqcGBS7.gif

I'm really interested in Buu Kai actually. It's probably the part I remember the least, and I'm really curious how the pacing is improved since I remember Buu having the most filler in the series.

I feel like with the Buu Saga, it's a completely inverse of what happens with the Cell Saga. All the last minute changes Toriyama made for the Cell Saga ultimately worked out for its favors while with Buu, it only exasperated all of it's problems.

The Buu saga feels like Toriyama is just throwing things together, even more so than earlier arcs.

It has some good stuff, mainly good humor, but it's definitely the weakest saga.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Mizerman and SAB CA.

They grow up so fast.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Watch the Gohan @ skool stuff and then yeah, feel free to drop it. Nobody likes the Buu arc!
Oh dear god. An arc that fans HATE?

Part of me wants to witness this, but at the same time, if I'm feeling like the Cell arc is dragging & has a ton of stupid decisions, I would loathe the Buu arc.

.....& yet I feel like considering how far I am, I might as well watch for completion sake....

cntr

Banned
I feel like Cell was intended to be the ending of the series, but Toriyama was asked to continue, and came up with Buu.

Part of me wants to witness this, but at the same time, if I'm feeling like the Cell arc is dragging & has a ton of stupid decisions, I would loathe the Buu arc.

.....& yet I feel like considering how far I am, I might as well watch for completion sake....

Buu saga has issues like the cell saga but a lot of the terrible pacing issues the og anime had aren't as prevalent in the kai version.

I feel like Cell was intended to be the ending of the series, but Toriyama was asked to continue, and came up with Buu.

There's no evidence that Cell was intended to be an ending any more than any previous arc. IIRC, the only arc that Toriyama has said was intended to be the ending was actually the Emperor Pilaf arc (the very first one).

On a similar note, the Buu Saga is the point where Toriyama actually had the most freedom from editors, and was allowed to do whatever he wanted. As it turns out, he gets off the rails pretty easily without editors.

EDIT:
Part of the whole package of rumors about Toriyama’s thwarted plans of ending the series with the Freeza arc is that, once that plan fell through, he then tried to end it after the Cell Games only to fail once more. All the same things that can be said about the supposed Freeza ending can be said here too: Toriyama has never said such a thing in interviews. He would not have been simply told at the last minute that he would not be allowed to end the series there, so pointing out how climatic the end of the Cell arc feels is irrelevant. If Toriyama had been given the option to end it there, he probably would have. It is unlikely that he would have said “No, I must continue! For I have an artistic vision burning inside me, that I must let out! A vision of a bubblegum monster beating up on a little kid with really long hair and no eyebrows!”… but there is simply no evidence that he actually thought he was going to be given that option while writing that storyline.

munchie64

Boo arc is fine. There's some great character stuff and nothing gets as stupid as some of the Cell stuff.

OK, Goku is still pretty stupid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only stupid thing Goku does the entire Buu arc is
Doesn't try killing easy ass Buu when he's SSJ3, but even then Buu's got his magic regen so he'd probably just come back.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on an extra extra long edition of Daylight Saving Toonami, the Intruder is back yet again to torment TOM and SARA, Android 16's self-destruction plan hits a critical snag while Cell creates a group of miniature clones to wipe out Gohan's friends before his eyes, Dio's evil plan is laid bare but the power of the mask turns a routine arrest into a bloodbath, Tekkadan has completed its mission to deliver Kudelia to Earth but the question now is what's next, another letter from Gon arrives at Whale Island describing the climax of the Hunter Exam and the journey to reclaim Killua, Jiraiya makes his last stand while trying to ascertain the true nature of Pain, and the Straw Hats aim to take Oars off his feet as Franky leads their ultimate strategy: Tactics 15. Finally, after all that, take a journey to Agartha in a special presentation of Makoto Shinkai's gorgeous alternate dimension fantasy film, Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 92 - Tears For An Android! Gohan's Inner Rage Bursts Forth!
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 3 - Youth with Dio
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 20 - Brother
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 26 - Then × and × After
1:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 133 - The Tale of Jiraiya the Gallant
1:30 - One Piece - 367 - Knock Him Down!! Special Attack: Straw Hat Docking?
2:00 - Children Who Chase Lost Voices

Raxus

Tonight on an extra extra long edition of Daylight Saving Toonami, the Intruder is back yet again to torment TOM and SARA, Android 16's self-destruction plan hits a critical snag while Cell creates a group of miniature clones to wipe out Gohan's friends before his eyes, Dio's evil plan is laid bare but the power of the mask turns a routine arrest into a bloodbath, Tekkadan has completed its mission to deliver Kudelia to Earth but the question now is what's next, another letter from Gon arrives at Whale Island describing the climax of the Hunter Exam and the journey to reclaim Killua, Jiraiya makes his last stand while trying to ascertain the true nature of Pain, and the Straw Hats aim to take Oars off his feet as Franky leads their ultimate strategy: Tactics 15. Finally, after all that, take a journey to Agartha in a special presentation of Makoto Shinkai's gorgeous alternate dimension fantasy film, Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 92 - Tears For An Android! Gohan's Inner Rage Bursts Forth!
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 3 - Youth with Dio
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 20 - Brother
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 26 - Then × and × After
1:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 133 - The Tale of Jiraiya the Gallant
1:30 - One Piece - 367 - Knock Him Down!! Special Attack: Straw Hat Docking?
2:00 - Children Who Chase Lost Voices

Tonight is the night. Watch the ENTIRE block tonight people!

Line_HTX

SUDDENLY, SEVEN YEARS LATER...

RUGBY, THE ORIGINAL FUCKBALL.

TOP MARKS IN LAW vs. ARCHAEOLOGIST

Tis but a cough.

I READ THIS LETTER. IT'S FULL OF TREACHERY, YOU FIEND!

He spared me mates and meself. Tough as a shell, but a gentleman through and through.

Look at me, wimping around drunk. Ooh, I'm trembling in my boots at threats from you GUTTERSNIPES.

Damnable sunrise!

Why in bloody hell is it SO DARK in here?

I have proof!

M E N A C I N G

It's pretty much exactly that. What I well say though is that what ultimately redeems the Cell Saga is it being a "passing of the torch" between Goku and Gohan. Buu Saga starts to do that before running back into the status quo safety net.

Dragon Ball Super has only exasperated that problem.

Not gonna lie

I'm VERY tempted to drop Kai if we get the Buu Arc. I'd only continue just to say I've seen most of DBZ & to back up my opinions of the show

Honestly if you're not liking DBZ now then maybe you should just finish off Kai and end it here. I've seen your comments over the last month seem to gone more and more negative., almost as if your being held against your will to watch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Honestly if you're not liking DBZ now then maybe you should just finish off Kai and end it here. I've seen your comments over the last month seem to gone more and more negative., almost as if your being held against your will to watch.
Honestly, I only kept watching because I had you guys & your reactions to go along with the show. If it was just myself watching it, probably would've dropped long ago. Plus there's just a "I should see it until the end" feeling I have when I begin a show on Toonami, especially now that it's easier to stick with shows when it's being watched with a group.

The main issue is when dropping a long-running series, I feel like you'll have someone who'll go "nah, man, it starts picking up at THIS arc, then it really gets good" or "oh, you haven't seen all of the show? Then your opinion isn't valid because you only saw #% & not every episode, the episodes you SHOULD watch are..." but thankfully, seeing the opinions of the Buu Arc on here, I wouldn't be missing much.

Edit: This might sound weird, but watching DBZ also feels like one of those "cultural" things I should experience as an anime fan, & at the very least, it's showing me just how far Shonen has come from the early/mid '90s when it was still new in the eyes of Americans.

I will say this, I still understand why DBZ became popular in the '90s, because kids back then never saw animation or fights like it before, & I don't wish to take anyone's nostalgia away from them. Hopefully my negativity, despite doing my best to explain why the series just doesn't work for me, hasn't been ruining anyone's rewatching.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At the very least, I'll give the series some credit, Battle of Gods was really enjoyable & was semi-responsible for me deciding to give Kai a watch.

So is tonight just the movie or is Jojo going to be on?

NVM just saw the schedule.
We're getting everything except the OPM rerun.

Grexeno

Oh yeah, since we're losing an airing of One Punch Man for the movie, here are the updated show ending dates:

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: December 10
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: December 17 (Part 1), April 8, 2017 (Part 2)
Dragon Ball Z Kai: December 17 (not including Buu Arc), February 10, 2018 (including Buu Arc)
One Punch Man: January 14, 2017
Hunter X Hunter: March 2, 2019
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll still stand by Dragon ball as a really fun and inventive series at least until the end of the freeza arc, as everything after that has aged rather poorly imo.

If nothing else, the original manga is a hell of a read.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm guessing that schedule isn't taking into account the fact there'll most likely be a Thanksgiving marathon in a few weeks?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ah, you're probably right.
I was gonna say, Jojo Part 1 most likely isn't ending on the 17th since Thanksgiving week would be a marathon, meaning we're not getting the end of Jojo until early January. I'm still holding out on Dec. 17th being a marathon night, BUT, at the very least, by the time the 17th comes, they'll have enough episodes for a Jojo marathon, which will be nice.

Chase17

Ordered my first two physical volumes of mange today (The first two volumes of the Zelda manga reprint I've never read, can't help myself with nice looking zelda stuff)

Praying this doesn't open the floodgates as I've done pretty well with shifting to digital games/books lately (this didn't have a digital counterpart, but probably would have bought it physical anyways).

Also have read through volume 4 of One Piece, and it's still good and funny. I've never liked the design of Usopp, but after being introduced do his character he is already kind of growing on me (who would of thought that learning about a character could improve my opinion of him).

Might be in this for the long haul...*shivers*

Is HxH recap tonight?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, HxH is another recap episode, & thankfully, from what people have said, this is the last time we'll have this sort of episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom