• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
bring code geass to the rerun slot to prepare for the premiere of S3 on toonami

it would make for a glorious rewatch, especially seeing how many of us either haven't seen it or forgot about it.

Since the consensus is Naruto goes to shit after the Pain arc, why not have it take Shippuden's slot after it finishes there.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
From what I remember, Code Geass was the enjoyable kind of bad, where you both question, yet laugh at the decisions made, & I would bet it would be even more hilarious watching reactions to those who've never seen it or forgot certain moments.

I'm trying to remember the last show that was the fun kind of bad. SAO & maybe AgK certainly reached those levels at times, but wasn't consistent.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That is correct, they handled the character designs.

uzdC8jl.gif

Crocodile

Random IBO fanart I came across since were just talking about the show:

CyQPq2VUUAERqjZ.jpg

Source

As an aside and reminder, Code Geass already aired on Adult Swim Action and did mediocre. I do think it could do better on Toonami but I doubt the folks at CN would want to try that again. Not saying anyone was demanding it back but I just felt I should mention that :p

Also yes, for those who haven't seen the show, it starts strong/honest and then jumps the shark so hard it lands on the moon and never comes back down to Earth. Ending is legit though. This is all from memory I should mention.

So Toonami Asia posted a dub clip of DB Super I guess?

https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/videos/781540661986882/

It's not awful but it's clearly not the FUNimation voices. "Hercule" sounds like Jamieson Price to me. Chris Rager is still doing stuff for FUNimation, so I'd be surprised if this is a clip from the FUNimation dub.

A LA based dub? That's very surprising. I doubt there will actually be a way to reliably watch this like with most made for Asia dubs.

This is nothing new considering One Piece and Inuyasha the Final Act also had an international English dub by Animax.

It's pretty funny though that you can tell they are trying to imitate the Funimation cast.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
How many complete English Language dubs does DBZ have anyways? I know three at least, Ocean, Funimation, and the Philippines.

How many complete English Language dubs does DBZ have anyways? I know three at least, Ocean, Funimation, and the Philippines.

There was also the GOAT, the Big Green dub.

According to the DBZ Wiki, there's quite a few, especially if you count the original DB. Harmony Gold did one that changed Goku's name to Zero.

Harmony Gold even did their own dub opening for the original DB.

I remember when i was a kid, my mom rented the first Dragon Ball movie with that dub from Blockbusters.

Well, there're a lot of dubs for the various movies and stuff but, here are the major ones I know.

Harmony Gold- DB First 10 episodes(first time dubbed into English and aired in NA in the 80's)
Funi- DB,DBZ,Kai,DBGT,Super
Ocean-DB,DBZ,Kai dub unreleased
Blue Water-DB,DBGT
International Super dub- Unknown currently but I'm going with Animax for most likely.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Apparently the DB Super international dub is being done by Bang Zoom. (They did One Punch Man and Hunter X Hunter for Viz among a ton of other stuff)

https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/803064227179229184

I'm curious as to who they got for Goku and Vegeta. It would be hilarious if we ended in a Kenshin/Samurai X situation where the main characters voice is shared between both dubs but I'd be surprised if that were actually be the case.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was confused why Brook was absent for the first half of this.

As silly as this sounds they must have had some backlash from putting Robin in the opening as a crewmember before she joined because they were very careful to not do it for Brook and Franky. Brook isn't a crew member in the opening until the 11th opening just like Franky isn't until the 9th (Current) opening.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bang Zoom shows on NuTOONAMI:

Blue Exorcist
Psalms of Planets Eureka Seven
Hunter x Hunter
IGPX
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Kill la Kill
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
One Punch Man
Samurai Champloo
Sword Art Online
Sword Art Online II
Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm trying to think of any "bad" dubs Bang Zoom has done, they tend to do a rather decent job for the most part. Heck, that list above pretty much is a solid list of good dubs, ignoring the quality of the shows themselves.

So Toonami Asia posted a dub clip of DB Super I guess?

https://www.facebook.com/ToonamiAsia/videos/781540661986882/

It's not awful but it's clearly not the FUNimation voices. "Hercule" sounds like Jamieson Price to me. Chris Rager is still doing stuff for FUNimation, so I'd be surprised if this is a clip from the FUNimation dub.

Apparently the DB Super international dub is being done by Bang Zoom. (They did One Punch Man and Hunter X Hunter for Viz among a ton of other stuff)

https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/803064227179229184

Man, this is bizarre. Toei must have been talked into allowing another company to dub Super along with Funi, and decided to cover all their bases here.

This just seems like a waste of Bang Zoom's time.

I'm not salty. I'm just saying, why have a second dubbing company do voice work for your show?

Unless it's something ridiculous like, "Funimation didn't want to make a children network friendly dub, so they went to Bang Zoom'.

Hitman 2016 is a fantastic game. Really fun with great level design.

But it's business model is shitty, and if anyone tells you it's not shitty, smack their shit. There's a tab about elusive targets, targets you get one attempt on, and if you fail, it's done. You can only tackle the elusive targets for a brief period too, and as someone who bought the game late, I missed a lot of them. And the tab reminds you that you missed them. There's just a long list of targets I missed that I'll never be able to get.

That's awful.

I'm trying to think of any "bad" dubs Bang Zoom has done, they tend to do a rather decent job for the most part. Heck, that list above pretty much is a solid list of good dubs, ignoring the quality of the shows themselves.

I can think of a few:

Love Hina (Bang Zoom's worst dub IMO)
Vandread
Fate/Stay Night 2006
The Familiar of Zero (What do you expect when the dub is literally a school project)
Higurashi: When They Cry
Mahoromatic

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god yeah, forgot about Love hina, especially since that was 2002, & also done by ADV Films as well.

Even worse, the singing in Spring Special was dubbed as well, uuggghhhh....

It's hard to hate Bang Zoom when they did a pretty good job on Pokemon Origins and Generations

I'd wish they would take over the main series for Pokemon as well since that dub is really terrible.

Mizerman

Bang Zoom shows on NuTOONAMI:

Blue Exorcist
Psalms of Planets Eureka Seven
Hunter x Hunter
IGPX
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Kill la Kill
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
One Punch Man
Samurai Champloo
Sword Art Online
Sword Art Online II
Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan

Funny thing, I thought those were two different shows that just happened to appear on this list, then I...looked it up and gave myself a facepalm.

The dub for Pokemon Generations alternates between good and what happened.

Well, it was good some of the time versus never like the regular anime so maybe that why I enjoyed it more. Most of the flaws seem to be from the voice direction from what I remember in Generations.

Which reminds me that Chris Cason was the voice director for the One Punch Man, and he's the VA for Popo on the Funimation Kai dub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom