• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragonball Z: Kai is...for some reason reading DBZ in the manga, despite being aware of it's faults, they never infuriated me like it does watching it now. I know that I already prefer the volumes that cover the first half of Dragonball with Goku as a kid but I wasn't this pissed off about how stupid the characters were acting in the Cell Saga. Maybe it's because the manga moves faster. I have less time to think about it too much...? Except no... I still knew it was stupid... whatever. This is really bad writing. It's too much for me to take as an adult.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was awesome. Poco was awesome. Speedwagon is great. These lines are great. I'm loving this Roundabout song. Best show of the night easy.

Gundam IBO is... confusing me. Not just with it's plot but also with what it wants me to feel... I... have no idea who I feel I should want to root for. I really don't like Mikazuki and I don't think he's "cool" at all. I kind of just feel I'm just watching two groups of murderers fighting with drama and flashbacks and "Human debris" and "Dort" thrown in... I can't explain it well. I'm not enjoying this show but I guess I can't say that episode was ... bad?

Hunter X Hunter was pretty boring. That didn't change from when I read it in the manga. I remember getting to that part with the Nen explanation in the manga and I ... zooned out. I didn't get how it worked because I stopped caring and I read through the entire series never fully understanding it. Despite how a few people were saying it's super important to get what it is I don't really feel that way... maybe I missed something though. I'm mostly just hoping watching the anime will make me change my opinion on the manga as I came out of it kind of... so-so on it. I read all of it though so I don't hate it obviously but... I want to be super excited for it like everyone else.

Naruto Shippuden dived into the history of the Magic Emo Eyeballs that I hate. And Itachi made the crazy face. And then they threw a bunch of the useless shit that TenTen uses to lose fights and badly animated themselves to the end credits.

One Piece was a lot of fun. The fight with Oars is still great and I like Captain Lola and her band of men. Blue Hulk Luffy is gonna be a lot of fun coming up too. I'm having fun. Thriller Bark is fun.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 96 - Combine Your Strength! The Final Kamehame-Ha!
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 7 - Sorrowful Successor
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 24 - A Future Reward
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 30 - Fierce × And × Ferocious
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 137 - Amaterasu!
2:30 - One Piece - 371 - The Straw Hat Crew Gets Wiped Out! The Shadow-Shadow's Powers in Full Swing
3:00 - One-Punch Man - 6 - The Terrifying City

Later.

Moaradin

Next week on Toonami:

12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 96 - Combine Your Strength! The Final Kamehame-Ha!
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 7 - Sorrowful Successor
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 24 - A Future Reward
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 30 - Fierce × And × Ferocious
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 137 - Amaterasu!
2:30 - One Piece - 371 - The Straw Hat Crew Gets Wiped Out! The Shadow-Shadow's Powers in Full Swing
3:00 - One-Punch Man - 6 - The Terrifying City

Later.

Next week should be pretty good all around

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69j1oAKw2j_Mvhe

LATER

Seda

Gundam IBO is... confusing me. Not just with it's plot but also with what it wants me to feel... I... have no idea who I feel I should want to root for. I really don't like Mikazuki and I don't think he's "cool" at all. I kind of just feel I'm just watching two groups of murderers fighting with drama and flashbacks and "Human debris" and "Dort" thrown in... I can't explain it well. I'm not enjoying this show but I guess I can't say that episode was ... bad?.

I like Mika and I do not think he is 'cool'. I see him as a "means to an end" type person. His goal is to get Kudelia to her destination and to keep everyone safe. He battles Karta because he has to. He shows no mercy because he can't afford to. I don't really see it as 'bloodlust'; he was calm the entire time. His task was to kill her and that's what he intended to do - and he happens to be pretty good at it.

He mentions that getting revenge was reason to kill Karta too, and considering the circumstance, seems totally justified to me. He was composed in his demeanor and prudent in his purposes.

When I start to think about ways in which I criticize his motivations, it starts to wrap itself in with the show's larger set-up problems, not anything about Mika individually. Why is Tekkaden supporting Kudelia in the first place and why does she need to talk to a world leader and why is Gjallerhorn so adamant to prevent that? Those sorts of things.

I'm really sad I missed DBZ back in the day. Watching now for the first time its great/hilarious/etc in all the best ways, but somethings still missing.

Boy do they drag these arcs on forever, but who cares 18 is back

This jojo dub is GREAT, Tom Petty reveal was fantastic, I can't wait for next weeks episode (and the week after that as well)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Toonami.com just brings me to some Adult Swim Canada site.
Phew, so I'm not the only one. For a week now, it's been doing that for me as well, despite typing "adultswim.com", though takes me to the US site if I put "/videos" after it.

First thing that popped into my head for some reason when seeing the site was the design of the Toonami app.

Aside from pixie SARA (& I blame that on just the comparisons with Yui from SAO), I feel like this is one of my favorite styles/presentations for Toonami. Heck, might even make that Toonami logo the background for my laptop.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Basic Show Thoughts-

DBZ: Goku killed a kinda god who lives in a part of the universe that is kinda heaven! Who cares if it makes sense! They did a horrible job at making Cell's explosion seem imminent. Goku got Goodbyes with EVERYONE and to say all he wanted to. And Poor Vegeta's freak-out meant NOTHING. I'd have liked it more if Cell was damaged, but then visibly regenerated.

JOJO! - Right into the action, PURIFICATION FIST, Monologues everywhere, FLYING ON LEAVES SHAPED LIKE A LEAF, Crashing into a castle built into a wall, mutual hangings, a boy peeing his pants after showing us how cool looking sister (JoJo has cool female designs all around), and some Speedwagon. This is always fun to watch again.

Gundam IBO: But Carta, we hardly knew ye! Her whole group goes out in a way that feels like a joke, and as if they were all just there to give our mainsazuki an excuse to kill to remind us they're messed up child soldiers. Her group seems so amazingly incompetent and ill-equipped to deal with a SERIOUS Tekkaden that it's... not even satisfying to watch them "fight". But at least this show does death way, way WAY better than HxH has, so far.

I'm identifying with Merribit way more than Mikazuki. Orga.. actually seems like he's trying to please everyone to some degree, and that actually makes him pleasant as a full character (rather than a muder machine), and supports why the others look up to him so well (he's the closest to being fully-developed, mentally.)

Gaelio's lie to Carta was... touching. In a way, her motivations, the ignorance to how she was actually going to DIE until the last moments, and her way or playing with Ken doll armies and blushing at McGillis awkward flattery makes her feel pretty childish, too.

Both sides have lost people that are kinda important, and it's nice that both dead had families and relationships they wanted to get back to. I really get the feeling that almost no one (other than Mika?) in this show actually knows how to properly handle violent conflict. Has it been THAT long since real war happened in this world? Our Maiden of revolution has no relevant world history to look towards, she looks to ancient history... stupid DORT workers jump into war with guns and tanks, as if they DON'T KNOW they'll get horribly murdered once they arm themselves with weapons...

HxH: Instant powerup for the heroes! Ok, whatever. HIsoka violently forcing his growing rivalries to learn lessons so that he can have stronger toys is somewhat interesting. As mentioned, I feel like the show really has fun with it's side characters, because the main ones, basically, aren't all that fun to experience or look at on their own.

O well, looking forward to seeing if Nen feels as exciting as some are making it out to be.

Ah Zeppeli. Such a dapper chap to the end.

In a way, his design should be REALLY STUPID... but... he works it so well, that I totally love it.

Bosh also did a nice job with his attack call-outs, but JP Johnathan just works so well, that I hear him in my head at every "OOOVAAAHHHDRIIIVVVV-UUUU!" instance.

Seda

I like how Nomura draws, but I don't care for what he chooses to draw (unless they are monsters).

Also he should never write stories.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Agreed. He's a good artist, but not a good designer. Case in point (despite everyone else already mentioning it when it was revealed):

Looks like she's wearing a laundry basket as a dress.

cntr

Banned
Wait until we get a collaboration video game by Hideo Kojima and Suda51, with character designs and artwork by Hirohiko Araki, Oh! Great, and Tetsuya Nomura, story co-written by Kotaro Uchikoshi, and a soundtrack by Masafumi Takada.

That's what I want.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait until we get a collaboration video game by Hideo Kojima and Suda51, with character designs and artwork by Hirohiko Araki, Oh! Great, and Tetsuya Nomura, story co-written by Kotaro Uchikoshi, and a soundtrack by Masafumi Takada.

That's what I want.
That sounds like the best & worst crossover at the same time, & I would gladly buy/play that.

also plz make no more heroes 3, suda51, thx

cntr

Banned
Weren't TWEWY's character designs were based on real life fashion? And Nomura did it as a collaboration with another guy. That'd nullify the worst of Nomura's design.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Weren't TWEWY's character designs were based on real life fashion? And Nomura did it as a collaboration with another guy. That'd nullify the worst of Nomura's design.
Yes, it was based on Shibuya to the point they actually used real life locations but just changed the names. According to Wiki, "Character designs were made to match with the real-world Tokyo setting, after which their outfits were designed based on the character's personality." & yes, he worked with Gen Kobayashi as the artist.

One of these days, I should look into the OST & see if its worth owning. I just know a few of the songs are awesome, but it's been so long since I've played the game, I've forgotten most of the music tracks aside from Calling, the 20 versions of Twister that exist, & Deja Vu.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This one? It's been on my wish list for almost 2 years now, but seeing as it's dropped from ~$34 to $23, maybe I'll finally nab it to have something new to listen to in the car.

.......though it doesn't seem to have Deja Vu.

BBboy20

That sounds like the best & worst crossover at the same time, & I would gladly buy/play that.

also plz make no more heroes 3, suda51, thx
NMH3 for the WiiU Switch, BELIEVE!

I gave up around the time Bayonetta 2 was released. ;-;

Anyways: since geography is seems to be the main theme, I wonder if they're gong to do more then just broadcast the Toonami signal.

Also: on the website's schedule, the picture for Jojo looks like Jotaro.

Music:
DBZ
JOJO
HXH
SHIP
OP
OPM

Intruder 3 felt more like an episode of the tom and sara show then an event like the past two intruders. I enjoyed it and am glad they're not on the planet anymore but I don't want intruder 4 next year.

Line_HTX

There's nothing wrong with that cut OP. It flows nicely and for once it's not an awkward cut. It at least gets the point of the song out at the end.

Ultratech

High-def G Gundam!

This would be awesome.

I have tried to completely watch Eureka Seven AO 3 times.

I fear another attempt will kill me.

That's a fool's errand.

Don't do it. (Unless you're a masochist.)

That's what I want.

Hmm....that's be pretty neat.

And probably a clusterfuck as well. (But a wonderful one, right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom