• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

8kfiTAD.gif

I'm not salty. I'm just saying, why have a second dubbing company do voice work for your show?

Unless it's something ridiculous like, "Funimation didn't want to make a children network friendly dub, so they went to Bang Zoom'.

I have to agree, why have 2 American dubbing companies working on the same product with the same level of quality? its redundant, why wouldn't FUNi's dub work for Asia?

I'm guessing this is why FUNi's Super's dub announcement took soo damn long. I just hope the BZ dub gets preserved as I'm pretty sure were not going to see a BR release here.

zulux21

I have to agree, why have 2 American dubbing companies working on the same product with the same level of quality? its redundant, why wouldn't FUNi's dub work for Asia?

I'm guessing this is why FUNi's Super's dub announcement took soo damn long. I just hope the BZ dub gets preserved as I'm pretty sure were not going to see a BR release here.

given that BZ's will be out in the next 6 months and funi's is likely 14 months away... I imagine plenty of places will preserve BZ's just to have an english version of DB super that isn't a fan dub.

given that BZ's will be out in the next 6 months and funi's is likely 14 months away... I imagine plenty of places will preserve BZ's just to have an english version of DB super that isn't a fan dub.

I sure hope so, I really don't want to see another DB dub lost to time.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

$$$

International buyouts, usage restrictions, royalties, etc.

Funimation is, as far as I know, a non-union only shop that probably has pretty standard deals with its main talent pool on work for the North American market. Worldwide buyouts are a whole different ball of wax, though. It might be far more efficient and cost effective to hire one studio to handle the international release, allowing those actors to work on completely different contracts with different terms (including length of term), and another studio to handle the North American release with its own terms.

Especially since it seems like the international release is releasing sooner than the American one.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For $50, RightStuf has manga volumes 1 through 9 of OPM at the moment.....I feel tempted, but at the same time, I don't really have the room & would much rather get the anime. Still can't believe Viz hasn't made any announcement about the Blu-Ray....

....oh also they have that ultimate Haruhi collection for $75 that gets you both seasons, both of those spin-offs, & the one or two movies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Saw IBO finally, heres my thoughts in bullet points and in no particular order:

-McGillis literally deus ex machina saved the girl, Mikazuki even delayed his kill, which is kinda ehhh considering hes stone cold half the time with murder- they wrote the delay in solely to have a way to save her, which isn't the best.
-Mikazuki is stupid OP still. Literally no one can fight on his level in this universe which kinda makes the robot battles redundant or boring for me- it's not that it doesn't look well done, but it's like hes always entire planes above his foes in fights
-man that duel was stupid
-this biscuit revenge plotline isn't believable in reality and would go down in history textbooks as a group of kids with some serious issues. They just go on about revenge casually as if it's a half decent motive for the insanity they're doing-- which it really isn't. Who would even want that- to die and have all their friends go insane with murderous intent at heavy self risk?
-OP2 cut>OP1 cut, but OP2 full is really repetitive. Ed still good.
-an organization needs to stop this group and they're agreeing to duels and such with honor instead of just obliterating them off the face of the earth? It's a freight train and they're a dishonest organization as is this is really stupid.
-that duel was won by contrivance since everyone knows Mikazuki is crazy impulsive and the 2 other pilots had no real reason to get out of their mechs to stand there if the girl wasn't doing the same thing. They solely did this so they could get cannon-foddered for the plot. In reality, that should have been a 3 on 1.
-I appreciate that they expanded on relationships and had a real adult say they're legit insane, but then our politician friend says whatever no big deal, go on killing anyways.

cntr

Banned
-an organization needs to stop this group and they're agreeing to duels and such with honor instead of just obliterating them off the face of the earth? It's a freight train and they're a dishonest organization as is this is really stupid.
Carta's so useless because the Outer Earth Fleet hasn't fought a battle in forever, the main Gjallarhorn does. She was sent there to pilot a desk because she's from a high-status family, but got a chance to fight because Tekkadan unexpectedly showed up. She's never actually fought a real battle before.

There's a bunch of dumb stuff in IBO, but this at least seems relatively plausible.

Soulflarz

Banned
^its not just that though, plenty of these guys do fight and still get bodied from a kid who at the time didn't have much combat experience
but...then again, anime.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Random IBO fanart I came across since were just talking about the show:

CyQPq2VUUAERqjZ.jpg

Source

As an aside and reminder, Code Geass already aired on Adult Swim Action and did mediocre. I do think it could do better on Toonami but I doubt the folks at CN would want to try that again. Not saying anyone was demanding it back but I just felt I should mention that :p

Also yes, for those who haven't seen the show, it starts strong/honest and then jumps the shark so hard it lands on the moon and never comes back down to Earth. Ending is legit though. This is all from memory I should mention.
I laughed extra hard when I saw that.

Moaradin

Saw IBO finally, heres my thoughts in bullet points and in no particular order:

-McGillis literally deus ex machina saved the girl, Mikazuki even delayed his kill, which is kinda ehhh considering hes stone cold half the time with murder- they wrote the delay in solely to have a way to save her, which isn't the best.

McGillis wasn't the one to come save Carta, Gaellio was. And she wasn't saved at all. She died.

Soulflarz

Banned
McGillis wasn't the one to come save Carta, Gaellio was. And she wasn't saved at all. She died.
Oh, right, Carta*

Rip my attention span to random guys at....
Wtf was I doing up at 5am
X_X

But yeah I got that the one guy sent her to her grave, but did she die on screen and I missed that or she just was too badly injured by then?

I can think of a few:

Love Hina (Bang Zoom's worst dub IMO)
Vandread
Fate/Stay Night 2006
The Familiar of Zero (What do you expect when the dub is literally a school project)
Higurashi: When They Cry
Mahoromatic

Fate/Stay Night and Higurashi voice acting was decent. I think that they miscast the leads though.

Oh, right, Carta*

Rip my attention span to random guys at....
Wtf was I doing up at 5am
X_X

But yeah I got that the one guy sent her to her grave, but did she die on screen and I missed that or she just was too badly injured by then?

By the time Gali Gali saved her, she was already too heavily injured and died.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Deluxe Edition shipped this morning from Amazon & will arrive tomorrow. The 10 year wait is almost over...

Neat that Stories is next month's PS+ title, though my backlog is big enough as it is, no idea when I'd get around to playing it.

Seda

I'm playing FFXV at launch, which is a little rare for me. I have to participate in some volunteer GOTY discussions later so I kinda have to play it
wtzgU.gif

I may not get it until later in the week, which is okay because I'm finishing up SMT4A which is probably a better game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm still waiting for Dissidia.
I still can't believe they haven't announced a PS4 version, especially for the US. Been waiting for a console version for so long after playing the first one. Heck, it'll just be nice playing with a controller with extra shoulder buttons & 2nd analog stick.

Mizerman

I still can't believe they haven't announced a PS4 version, especially for the US. Been waiting for a console version for so long after playing the first one. Heck, it'll just be nice playing with a controller with extra shoulder buttons & 2nd analog stick.

I guess they're waiting for FF15 to come out and all that jazz.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nintendo/TPC/Namco took forever to announce a Wii U version of Pokkén.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess they're waiting for FF15 to come out and all that jazz.
Ahh, good point. Plus they teased Noctus as being playable as well. Heck, they said around 50 characters, but I think at the moment, it's only 20.

Nintendo/TPC/Namco took forever to announce a Wii U version of Pokkén.
Now watch them take forever to announce a Switch version with all the new characters that got added to the arcade version.

BBboy20

Ahh, good point. Plus they teased Noctus as being playable as well. Heck, they said around 50 characters, but I think at the moment, it's only 20.

Now watch them take forever to announce a Switch version with all the new characters that got added to the arcade version.
Going past protagonists and antagonists, are they?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still remember when I did a poll for who people wanted to see as DLC for MvC3 & how it freakin' blew up over the internet.

Also, Your Name is now the 3rd highest grossing anime in Japanese box office, beating Princess Mononoke. Insane.

bigkrev

As my brother pointed out, removing the X-men from the game means there are no Jewish characters in Marvel 4, which is a bunch of horseshit. Other Jewish characters in the Marvel universe can't be used either- Thing is owned by Fox, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver aren't actually Jewish in the MCU, and obviously Magneto and Kitty Pryde are not in this.

Why does Marvel hate Jews.

Who are the Inhumans, and why does everyone hate them?

The Inhumans are the characters no one gives a shit about that Marvel is trying to turn into the new X-men because they own them. They currently have a fucking CLOUD moving around the earth killing mutants because reasons

I didn't know any of the Marvel characters had confirmed religions outside of maybe Captain America.

Kitty Pryde, Magneto, and The Thing are all Jewish. Nightcrawler is a devote Catholic.

Peter Parker flips between being interpreted as a Christian or a Jew depending on the writer.

And the newish Ms. Marvel is Muslim.

I think focusing on the MCU is a huge mistake since it will then spotlight only the bigger characters, as those movies do.

If it actually just means "no X-Men or Fantastic Four" then that's still lame as fuck but a bit better.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gimme Gene from God Hand so I can have Team Clover.

......there's probably a few more characters from Capcom I want, but I can't think of all of them at the moment. At the very least, give me Rearmed Spencer instead of wife arm Spencer as the default & not as a DLC costume.

Mizerman

Gimme Gene from God Hand so I can have Team Clover.

......there's probably a few more characters from Capcom I want, but I can't think of all of them at the moment. At the very least, give me Rearmed Spencer instead of wife arm Spencer as the default & not as a DLC costume.

Considering that Gene almost made the roster last time, I have a feeling that he'll be looked at.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering that Gene almost made the roster last time, I have a feeling that he'll be looked at.
Oh damn, that's right, he & Mega Man (who honestly needs a reworked moveset, he is simply not fun in MvC1 & 2) were close to making it into UMvC3. They were in the final pool, but didn't make it.

...also, I just remembered that MvC3 was announced back during my senior year of high school, how time flies.

Edit: & UMvC3 was released only 9 MONTHS after the release of MvC3, wow....

bigkrev

Oh damn, that's right, he & Mega Man (who honestly needs a reworked moveset, he is simply not fun in MvC1 & 2) were close to making it into UMvC3. They were in the final pool, but didn't make it.

...also, I just remembered that MvC3 was announced back during my senior year of high school, how time flies.

Edit: & UMvC3 was released only 9 MONTHS after the release of MvC3, wow....

They were loosing the license. I think UMVC3 was delisted from PSN less than a year after it came out

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They were losing the license. I think UMVC3 was delisted from PSN less than a year after it came out
Yup, I remember they had a huge sale on the DLC to ensure people had a chance to get it before it was delisted. Recall it was around the same time MvC Origins & MvC2 was getting delisted as well.

But yeah, hoping the licensing agreement is a lot better this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom