• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems like... an upgrade?

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I'm confused, I can understand this kind of commentary during the fillers because fuck those and the ones to come, but were in a pretty legit good part of Naruto right now, one of the few rare times actually that Naruto as a series proves itself to be a decent enough anime.

Unless you truly do not like naruto for any sort of reason (which is completely understandable), maybe we should cool it a bit on the "lol naruto bad" jokes? at least until the Pain arc is over and we jump back right into filler arc #492 (or do we jump into the Five Kage Summit Arc right away? its a been a bit)

cntr

Banned
For most of us, this is a terrible section of Naruto, since everything about Sasuke and the Sharingan feels like rubbish.

For most of us, this is a terrible section of Naruto, since everything about Sasuke and the Sharingan feels like rubbish.

The Pain Arc in particular is for me, both the peak and the start of the decline of Shippuden. I said this a few weeks ago but this is when the series starts getting consumed by it's Myth Arc and relying too heavily on this "Child of Prophecy" rubbish.

And it doesn't help that everything about the Uchiha's is trash and they drag the series down going forward.

Mizerman

I'm confused, I can understand this kind of commentary during the fillers because fuck those and the ones to come, but were in a pretty legit good part of Naruto right now, one of the few rare times actually that Naruto as a series proves itself to be a decent enough anime.

Unless you truly do not like naruto for any sort of reason (which is completely understandable), maybe we should cool it a bit on the "lol naruto bad" jokes? at least until the Pain arc is over and we jump back right into filler arc #492 (or do we jump into the Five Kage Summit Arc right away? its a been a bit)

I liked Naruto, especially part 1 of the series. When it came to Shippuden, I was disappointed for the most part outside of a few arcs.

cntr

Banned
The worst part is that the whole "Child of Prophecy" thing
completely undermines the message and theme of pre-timeskip Naruto.

I like Mika and I do not think he is 'cool'. I see him as a "means to an end" type person. His goal is to get Kudelia to her destination and to keep everyone safe. He battles Karta because he has to. He shows no mercy because he can't afford to. I don't really see it as 'bloodlust'; he was calm the entire time. His task was to kill her and that's what he intended to do - and he happens to be pretty good at it.

He mentions that getting revenge was reason to kill Karta too, and considering the circumstance, seems totally justified to me. He was composed in his demeanor and prudent in his purposes.

When I start to think about ways in which I criticize his motivations, it starts to wrap itself in with the show's larger set-up problems, not anything about Mika individually. Why is Tekkaden supporting Kudelia in the first place and why does she need to talk to a world leader and why is Gjallerhorn so adamant to prevent that? Those sorts of things.

That's all well and good but I don't think I put any of that into question. Probably because I'm realizing that I don't really care what kind of person he's supposed to be or what his goal is. I don't care how calm he is and while I don't see why him being calm about killing people wouldn't mean he doesn't have bloodlust, that doesn't really matter either since I didn't really say anything about bloodlust in the first place. I didn't bring any of that up and if I did, I shouldn't have because I remember saying I wasn't sure how to explain it.

I honestly don't even care if it's justified or not. This shit doesn't feel right on either side to me. I don't like anyone on both sides. The way they handle the death and manner of disposing of people in this series just feels off. Something here isn't clicking right. It doesn't feel like something like Black Lagoon where it does a good job getting across what it needs to emotionally. Maybe it does logically but at the end of the day, Mikazuki feels like a psychopath to me and none of the people around seem to acknowledge how off he is. And the triumphant music that keeps playing whenever he kills someone I guess is supposed to mean I'm supposed to be rooting for what's happening on screen... but I'm not.

I guess if it's goal is to show me that war is unpleasant all around then good job I guess. Right now, this show just makes me feel awful and not really in a way I feel is supposed to be intentional. Because that rushed exposition of the pilot woman followed by her immediate death was really transparent. I didn't feel sorry for her and I probably wouldn't give a shit if Mikazuki died either.

As much as I liked Biscuit, I kind of feel like I gotta over that pretty quick too really.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Remember that this show takes place 300 years after the Calamity war, which was already a fight between giant robots. This show is likely...500 years in the future? Go talk to someone in 1520 about their views on a lot of things and you'll be surprised how much they've changed, assuming you could even understand each other given how much language has changed.

The worst part is that the whole "Child of Prophecy" thing
completely undermines the message and theme of pre-timeskip Naruto.

Definitely. And the sequel series focusing on
Naruto's son twists that dagger even more. I remember the first chapter promoting the series had a character go on and on about what an awesome bloodline Boruto comes from and how strong his parents are.

Like, I know Kishi created that series just to throw Shonen Jump a bone for ending one of their cash cows, but it's so far gone from what part 1 was about.

Remember that this show takes place 300 years after the Calamity war, which was already a fight between giant robots. This show is likely...500 years in the future? Go talk to someone in 1520 about their views on a lot of things and you'll be surprised how much they've changed, assuming you could even understand each other given how much language has changed.

No offense, but this doesn't make any sense at all.. Everything in Gundam IBO has some kind of modern analog, whether it's language or power structure or technology or the nature of their conflict or the views of certain characters, because it, like every bit of mainstream sci-fi, is meant to comment on modern sensibilities and concerns in a way we are supposed to understand.

So either parts of it are poorly written (which is astronomically more likely) or it's some pseudo-artsy attempt to portray conflict as someone centuries into the future would see it through their own unique lens far removed from the way we view things today, but here's the thing: Gundam IBO would make not a single secret of that because it is crushingly obvious at pretty much every turn. That's the kind of show it is. The idea that it is secretly constructing some subtle alternate morality off to the side isn't backed up by anything about how this show is written, whether it's through its inability to be subtle or the way everything else pretty neatly lines up with the way we as human beings today think about things.

Like, if that's how you wanna view it since it helps you make sense of the way the show works then cool, but wow do I not buy it at all as a defense of the writing by calling it an intentional choice.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dude these kids didn't know what a funeral was a few episodes ago. They've at least attempted to throw some of this into that zone of disconnection.

Fuck they are heading to Edmonton, a seat of one of the global powers. If this doesn't denote far flung future attitudes nothing will.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't even care if it's justified or not. This shit doesn't feel right on either side to me. I don't like anyone on both sides. The way they handle the death and manner of disposing of people in this series just feels off. Something here isn't clicking right. It doesn't feel like something like Black Lagoon where it does a good job getting across what it needs to emotionally. Maybe it does logically but at the end of the day, Mikazuki feels like a psychopath to me and none of the people around seem to acknowledge how off he is. And the triumphant music that keeps playing whenever he kills someone I guess is supposed to mean I'm supposed to be rooting for what's happening on screen... but I'm not.

Literally everyone around Mika is either a child soldier, a mafioso, or a revolutionary (the only possible exception being Atra, who has been around child soldiers all her life), and the series is being presented primarily from their point of view. Of course the morality of the situation is going to be dubious at best. That's kind of a Gundam staple.

If anything, I think the series doesn't go remotely far enough to sell the gravity of their situation. These kids still have responses to death like it's a terrible unexpected tragedy despite the fact that it has been an actual day to day occupational hazard of the job they've been doing since they were little kids. They should be a bit more hardened or at least a bit more psychotic than they actually are.

My only real issue with it on that front is that the why's of the situation have still been largely half-baked at best. We still, virtually at the end of season 1, have no real clear sense of what actual supposed oppressions and injustices they're fighting against, and that's a problem.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Literally everyone around Mika is either a child soldier, a mafioso, or a revolutionary (the only possible exception being Atra, who has been around child soldiers all her life), and the series is being presented primarily from their point of view. Of course the morality of the situation is going to be dubious at best. That's kind of a Gundam staple.

My only real issue with it on that front is that the why's of the situation have still been largely half-baked at best. We still, virtually at the end of season 1, have no real clear sense of what actual supposed oppressions and injustices they're fighting against, and that's a problem.

They call a group of people Human debris. They're a group of child soldiers and that doesn't seem that weird at all on Mars. Like...almost no one is shocked that there are PMCs made up of martian children.

If that's not enough injustice to fight against I don't know what to tell you.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
They call a group of people Human debris. They're a group of child soldiers and that doesn't seem that weird at all on Mars. Like...almost no one is shocked that there are PMCs made up of martian children.

If that's not enough injustice to fight against I don't know what to tell you.

Sure, but these are largely vague, general things, and it's not even clear who it is that is instituting these policies (or if there even is anybody doing it in the first place or if it's just a result of general lawlessness). Is it Gjallarhorn? Presumably from context clues, I guess, but it hasn't really been explained how or why. We've gotten one or two very brief history lessons here and there but still nothing that paints a complete picture of the solar system at this time.

And it's not like a Legend of the Galactic Heroes sort of thing where both sides are shown to be both clearly good and clearly bad in different ways. But it seems like it does aspire to want to be that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sure, but these are largely vague, general things, and it's not even clear who it is that is instituting these policies (or if there even is anybody doing it in the first place or if it's just a result of general lawlessness). Is it Gjallarhorn? Presumably from context clues, I guess, but it hasn't really been explained how or why.

We've gotten one or two very brief history lessons here and there but still nothing that paints a complete picture of the solar system at this time.

And it's not like a Legend of the Galactic Heroes sort of thing where both sides are shown to be both clearly good and clearly bad in different ways. But it seems like it does aspire to want to be that.

Well before two episodes ago we didn't even have a good explanation for why Gjallerhorn are the earth sphere police.

But I didn't say that it shouldn't be dubious or that I thought it was odd that the morality was questionable. That's the reason why I brought up Black Lagoon. I know what it's trying to do. I've watched shows where the morality is dubious before. I even said that it might even make sense logically if it does at all. But I don't care about that.

I don't think this series does a good job juggling with it's concepts and the emotions it's supposed to have. I don't know what I'm supposed to be feeling here. Everything that happens feels like it also has something else happening at the same time to contradict it on an emotional level to me.

I can root for characters who have questionable morality no problem. Understanding why they do it isn't the only thing I need in order to be on board with it though. First and foremost I need to actually like them but I also need the show to be a little more clear on what it's trying to sell me here.

Right now I just feel like I'm watching a bunch on un-charismatic murders fight each other. Maybe I could get into that if I had thicker skin but...

If anything, I think the series doesn't go remotely far enough to sell the gravity of their situation. These kids still have responses to death like it's a terrible unexpected tragedy despite the fact that it has been an actual day to day occupational hazard of the job they've been doing since they were little kids. They should be a bit more hardened or at least a bit more psychotic than they actually are.

Ironically, I think that's the stuff that I probably care the least about. I still recognize them as possible issues but this story has gotten a bit too far away from me at this point. Investment in why they need to take these guys down is drifting off for me so I'm left with whatever emotion I can summon from the characters and... well, I'm not too fond of the remaining cast so...

I guess that's it.

Seda

Yeah, I agree that this is clearly the show's biggest problem for me. Additionally, Kudelia is so entwined with this that it brings down her character a lot.

Dude these kids didn't know what a funeral was a few episodes ago. They've at least attempted to throw some of this into that zone of disconnection.

Fuck they are heading to Edmonton, a seat of one of the global powers. If this doesn't denote far flung future attitudes nothing will.

Which came off as both trite and unbelievable specifically because everything else is pretty much business as usual. The show portrays naiveté only when it's a vehicle to comment in a loud and obvious fashion on something, which feeds back into the idea that if they were going for some experimental bullshit they wouldn't let us forget it. This is outright not the show for the subtle portrayal of future attitudes different from our own, and even if we act like it is, it doesn't go nearly far enough and that's a huge problem because it results in the inconsistent, poorly-realized characterization we see in basically every episode.

I still have yet to see Code Geass.

People will tell you otherwise, but I'd say keep it that way. R1 is good, quite good in fact, but R2 shits on the momentum R1 left off on and is stupidly infuriating to sit through.

And for the record, I don't think the ending was amazing. Not by a long shot.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't even remember most of the stuff that happened in Code Geass aside from a few key moments.

.......like the table & the spin kick.

5P87VES.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People will tell you otherwise, but I'd say keep it that way. R1 is good, quite good in fact, but R2 shits on the momentum R1 left off on and is stupidly infuriating to sit through.

And for the record, I don't think the ending was amazing. Not by a long shot.

The ending was a trainwreck, the whole of R2 was a glorious trainwreck.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Code Geass is the one where the dude can control people with his eye

Death Note is the one where the dude can kill people with his book

........also i guess one has giant robots or something

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Both seasons of Geass are terrible, delightful trainwrecks. It's just that the first season had some semblance of tactics and maneuvering while R2 is nothing but trainwreck.

It's not good, but it is tons and tons of fun.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, I remember there was a really bizarre censorship part in Code Geass where they blurred out....what's-her-name....Kallen's cleavage, despite the fact there was no nipples being shown. But I guess standards were different back then compared to now. Just thought it was really pointless when I saw the "uncensored" version.

Even stranger, as far as I know (I could be wrong on this), they kept "that" table scene intact.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
bring code geass to the rerun slot to prepare for the premiere of S3 on toonami

it would make for a glorious rewatch, especially seeing how many of us either haven't seen it or forgot about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom