• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

Carol and others were known as "Ms. Marvel" for a long time... Kamala was created in 2013, and took up the name as she idolizes who has now become "Captain Marvel".

Considering when I think Ms. Marvel I think "Weren't you also Binary?!", the particular name being involved with a mix of powers and origins doesn't throw me off too much. Kamala seems like she'd be a fun way to have a cuter, spunky Mr. Fantastic-a-like in an MVC game...

Yeah, I got a feeling that Kamala is gonna make it due to her popularity.

Line_HTX

No, very no considering that Ms. Marvel is a Muslim girl named Kamala Harris.
Carol Danvers (blonde girl) used to be called Ms. Marvel, then eventually became Captain Marvel. Kamala Khan (huge fangirl of Carol) took up the name of Ms. Marvel. So yeah, two different characters nowadays.
Carol and others were known as "Ms. Marvel" for a long time... Kamala was created in 2013, and took up the name as she idolizes who has now become "Captain Marvel".

Considering when I think Ms. Marvel I think "Weren't you also Binary?!", the particular name being involved with a mix of powers and origins doesn't throw me off too much. Kamala seems like she'd be a fun way to have a cuter, spunky Mr. Fantastic-a-like in an MVC game...

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. That's pretty cool.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, I got a feeling that Kamala is gonna make it due to her popularity.

I hope so. I like the MvC games much more to see the stars of tomorrow, rather than just the same characters that are already everywhere, getting fleshed out. And we need some characters of different races and origins too!

Given the game is 2v2 now, I hope it's full of a bunch of pairings that make sense in a default sense. Which means I need a Ryu besides my BoF 2 Nina, and Arthur needs to be in again, to team up with Simone from Cannon Spike.

if you consider not having the exact finesse as a Souls game is bad, I suppose. =/

I really like a lot of the art design and the sense of style (Uncle Death is hilarious, the characters in the waiting room are fun, and the arcade is cool) but I don't really find that any of that translates to the gameplay, which so far feels like just a clunky trek through ugly environments fighting boring enemies with little visual variation. It just leaves me thinking what it'd be like if they applied the template to a much better game, or at least one that's abstract enough to help gloss over my irritation with the parts that are more traditionally game-y (though this is a problem I've had with most Suda-branded stuff since Killer7).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I played/completed it. I certainly enjoyed it more than Lollipop Chainsaw, which just felt like it draaagggeeeedddd.....yet I got every achievement for some reason....

Also I have the KiD CD & artbook that came with one of the editions.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
NMH on PS3 had to be the game where I had to click the analog sticks the most, let alone from every other PS3 game I had played combined. Damn, did it get annoying & almost made me miss the motion controls

....also, I was a bit bummed that I didn't make the platinum, Garden of Madness, my 1,000 trophy that I earned. I think it was #998 or something.

seriously though at least watch some videos of Let It Die for Uncle Death
A skateboarding grim reaper who wears hypno-glasses & calls me senpai is awesome & is part of the reason why I want to check out Let It Die. Also his character portrait is sweet.

You know how The Clone Wars tv show had the slightly odd problem of Kenobi, Anakin, and the other jedi running into Dooku, Grievous, Ventress, and other sith like every other week? On one hand it made for some great action scenes, but after a while it just seemed odd that they all kept running into each other in a galaxy wide war, and none of them could ever finish the job?

Star Wars Rebels has that same problem, but even worse.

I also have the feeling the writers aren't sure what to do with Ezra.

I see The Last Guardian review thread has entered the continuous debate over the MODERN REVIEW ESTABLISHMENT, and whether or not everything below a 7 is bad. You know, all that fun stuff.

Honestly, considering the fact that The Last Guardian has been in development hell for this long, a 6 or 7 is a score that fans should look at and breath a sigh of relief.

I see The Last Guardian review thread has entered the continuous debate over the MODERN REVIEW ESTABLISHMENT, and whether or not everything below a 7 is bad. You know, all that fun stuff.

Honestly, considering the fact that The Last Guardian has been in development hell for this long, a 6 or 7 is a score that fans should look at and breath a sigh of relief.

Reviews good and bad sound like exactly what I expected

If you loved ico/sotc and were able to overlook their flaws for the experience you'll love It
If the technical flaws and controls took you out of those games you won't enjoy it that much

Jarate

Banned
In terms of my threads to avoid on gaf, review threads are near top of the list.

*any major Sony exclusive OT when it first comes out
*any thread on gaming that requires a modicum of understanding of difficult topics
*Game OTs for games which "didn't live up to the hype" AKA, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on you, fool me 1000000 times shame on you

I'd put those above

Jarate

Banned
When's Leorio come back? He's my favorite of the main characters, but he seems to be shafted by the author.

Kuwabara managed to be a comic relief character that was weaker then everyone else but managed to hold his own in the series. Why can't we get that with Leorio!?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Killua
is actually way nicer than Gon is.

He's also in a rather odd situation right now that will get explored later on.

When's Leorio come back? He's my favorite of the main characters, but he seems to be shafted by the author.

Kuwabara managed to be a comic relief character that was weaker then everyone else but managed to hold his own in the series. Why can't we get that with Leorio!?

He's back as of the start of the next arc.
(very minor spoilers)

He's also in a rather odd situation right now that will get explored later on.

He's back as of the start of the next arc.
(very minor spoilers)
I've watched the entire series already. I can't exactly pin point where you guys are in Heaven's Arena, but I'm mostly just referencing some things that happens a lot later in HxH. Gon is a fucking nut case.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've watched the entire series already. I can't exactly pin point where you guys are in Heaven's Arena, but I'm mostly just referencing some things that happens a lot later in HxH. Gon is a fucking nut case.

We're at the point where Gon just got wrecked in his first nen fight and can't train for two months.

Also, I totally know what you're talking about and that shit's crazy.

We're at the point where Gon just got wrecked in his first nen fight and can't train for two months.

Also, I totally know what you're talking about and that shit's crazy.
Yeah. There are reasons why Killua's my favorite character. Dude is a straight up ride or die bro. Don't get me wrong I like Gon, but god damn. I want to do a rewatch already, but too bad the dub isn't far enough into the meat of HxH yet.
Oh, I'm aware.
His fight with Hanzo is only a sampler for how crazy he gets.

Moaradin

I love the Gon and Killua dynamic. It's the best friendship I've seen in a shonen. The show actually does a good job at showing them being best friends.

Naruto could have learned from it

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love the Gon and Killua dynamic. It's the best friendship I've seen in a shonen. The show actually does a good job at showing them being best friends.

Naruto does a great job showing best friends. Shikamaru and Chouji!

Seda

The review scale isn't quite as top heavy as it used to be. 7s and 8s are more common now than they were ten years ago.

People who haven't played the game ""disagreeing"" with those who have is always fun.

Even if a person's opinion on a game ends up more positive than any given review, that doesn't mean the review opinion is somehow invalid. People can be pretty childish.

Battlechili

Banned
Did anyone here play Killer Is Dead?

I played a bit at a friends, and remember thinking it was rubbish.
I thought it was fantastic. Well, think it is fantastic. I haven't finished it. But I've found Killer Is Dead to ooze a lot of style. Its method of storytelling is interesting to me. I like how fast paced its gameplay is too. I've heard people call it shallow, but I've never understood why. Its really challenging for what it is. Really have to be good at timing dodges and know when its best to use your gun and when its best to not.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I will never understand the logic of "WELL EVEN THOUGH I HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME YET, THE REVIEWERS ARE COMPLETELY & UTTERLY WRONG AND I'M RIGHT IN THAT IT'S GOING TO BE NOTHING BUT 9s & 10s". I get you want a game you're hyped about to be good, but when you haven't even played the game yet in comparison to SOMEONE WHO HAS, I can't take you seriously until you've taken the time to play the game for yourself.

Even worse is when a game gets an 8 or 9 out of 10, but then people whine that it's too "low". What the hell, I'd be content with a 7 because that's still in the "we liked it, despite its flaws" area.

Friend told me I should try reviewing games since he says I'm growing more "critical" of them & likes how I describe sometimes how a game is fun or not. Debating giving it a try (I'd give reviews for PM Color Splash & Mighty #9 since they're the freshest in my mind) but I wouldn't know where to start & I always thought that I wasn't the best when it came to putting into words why something was fun or not. Plus I wouldn't know how to "stand out" in comparison to the tons of dozens of others online.

I thought it was fantastic. Well, think it is fantastic. I haven't finished it. But I've found Killer Is Dead to ooze a lot of style. Its method of storytelling is interesting to me. I like how fast paced its gameplay is too. I've heard people call it shallow, but I've never understood why. Its really challenging for what it is. Really have to be good at timing dodges and know when its best to use your gun and when its best to not.
It probably helped that it was released after Lollipop Chainsaw, which I just felt was a bit clunky & instead of a bunch of short stages split up, it tried to make less stages that just were waaaaay too long. Though I will say, aside from one weapon or two, I never used the secondary weapons you got.

zulux21

that's mostly because it's a one sided romance :p

Gon is like luffy to obviously to figure out someone is in love with him.
killua is happy enough just being by the one he loves.

Ray Down

Banned

Toriko is also a good one Naruto could have looked at.

I swear Shima threw around the idea of having Toriko and Komatsu be together.

bigkrev

The review scale isn't quite as top heavy as it used to be. 7s and 8s are more common now than they were ten years ago.

People who haven't played the game ""disagreeing"" with those who have is always fun.

Even if a person's opinion on a game ends up more positive than any given review, that doesn't mean the review opinion is somehow invalid. People can be pretty childish.

I also want to note that reviews pre-PS2 era were basically useless. I've been reading a lot of gaming magazines from the 90s/early00s this past year, and generally Reviews are just a score and a summation of what a game is that could easily have been taken from the back of the box.

it got better in the 32 bit days, but reading EGM/Gamepro/Nintendo Power reviews in the 16 bit days were basically just reading advertisements for games.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Another quick thing about reviews is that, people forget that reviewers tend to have played a TOOOON more games in general (or seen a lot more movies when it comes to film critics) when compared to the average gamer or movie goer. The more you play or see, the more you tend to notice things & have reference in terms of what works or what doesn't. That's why I like having large library of games under my belt, because then I know what does & doesn't work for different genres (i.e. Mighty #9 showed me how to make a MM-style game very meh & unsatisfying), plus I like expanding my knowledge & trying to discover something that might've been under the radar or has a mechanic that isn't usually done in games (i.e. Gravity Rush was a really cool concept & I hope the sequel expands upon it to make it more fun)....but I also like buying a bunch of art & history books about games as well cuz I'm a nerd.

...though I will say I just don't understand the decimal system for reviews. What the hell is a difference between a 7.4 & 7.5? A VERY SMALL detail that makes it SLIGHTLY better? Why should I care about one game getting a 2.8 while the other gets a 2.7 if both just translate to "THEY'RE AWFUL, DON'T PLAY THEM"??

Jarate

Banned
Another quick thing about reviews is that, people forget that reviewers tend to have played a TOOOON more games in general (or seen a lot more movies when it comes to film critics) when compared to the average gamer or movie goer. The more you play or see, the more you tend to notice things & have reference in terms of what works or what doesn't. That's why I like having large library of games under my belt, because then I know what does & doesn't work for different genres (i.e. Mighty #9 showed me how to make a MM-style game very meh & unsatisfying), plus I like expanding my knowledge & trying to discover something that might've been under the radar or has a mechanic that isn't usually done in games (i.e. Gravity Rush was a really cool concept & I hope the sequel expands upon it to make it more fun)....but I also like buying a bunch of art & history books about games as well cuz I'm a nerd.

...though I will say I just don't understand the decimal system for reviews. What the hell is a difference between a 7.4 & 7.5? A VERY SMALL detail that makes it SLIGHTLY better? Why should I care about one game getting a 2.8 while the other gets a 2.7 if both just translate to "THEY'RE AWFUL, DON'T PLAY THEM"??

One of the issues with that is that you then go through a shit ton of games but never are able to master them. A lot of games are inherently very deep, have tons of content, or have a large skill; ceiling that most game reviewers generally tended to scoff at.

A lot of game reviewers are bad game players, and a lot of times get caught for playing the game on easy, or being too obtuse to pick out something. Game critique is getting better with a less ridiculous point system, but let's not pretend it's not mostly still a joke.

Also, game reviewers are the ultimate sinners of "this game wasn't what I wanted, so it's inherently bad" instead of accepting the game as is.

Seda

One of the issues with that is that you then go through a shit ton of games but never are able to master them. A lot of games are inherently very deep, have tons of content, or have a large skill; ceiling that most game reviewers generally tended to scoff at.

A lot of game reviewers are bad game players, and a lot of times get caught for playing the game on easy, or being too obtuse to pick out something. Game critique is getting better with a less ridiculous point system, but let's not pretend it's not mostly still a joke.

Also, game reviewers are the ultimate sinners of "this game wasn't what I wanted, so it's inherently bad" instead of accepting the game as is.

this is bullshit

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Depends on the game (& I guess reviewer/site). I can see the logic applied for, say, Wonderful 101 where it has a steep learning curve and takes some time before things "click" & you can get good, but otherwise, considering how long in the business a good amount of them have been in (Giant Bomb comes to mind), I would say they kind of need to be good in order to fully detail what makes a game good or not. Though obviously, you'll get some reviews like IGN giving God Hand a 3/10 that would support your theory.

.....also Seda sometimes reviews games for a RPG site, so you just called him a bad player.

bigkrev

Off Topic buttttt....

I need your help to decide what JRPG I own on 3DS or Vita that I should play! I should note that i'm probably going to play these games for an hour or 2 before never touching again, so if it's got a slow start, LOL, please don't recommend that. Also, I understand that I have problems buying games I fully intend to never play, but anytime there is a sale I kinda lose all self control. Bravely Second and DQ7 are on the list only because I had $25 Gamestop coupons off used games from Black Friday that needed to be used before the end of the year, and those were the most expensive games I didn't already own or play.

The list...
3DS:
Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Bravely Second
Little Battler eXperience
Dragon Quest 7

Vita:
Conception 2
Lost Dimension
Trails of Cold Steel
Hyperdimesnion Neptunia Rebirth
Monster Monpiece
Tales of Hearts R
Ys Memory of Celceta

Bonus PSP Section:

Kexyz Force
Legend of Heros Trails in the Sky
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Riviera Thr Promised Land
Persona
Person 2 Innocent Sin
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Yggdra Union

I'm leaning towards SMT4 but the only SMT games I have played are Persona 3 and 4 (which I really liked), and the idea of talking to monsters sounds daunting to me.

Mizerman

Depends on the game (& I guess reviewer/site). I can see the logic applied for, say, Wonderful 101 where it has a steep learning curve and takes some time before things "click" & you can get good, but otherwise, considering how long in the business a good amount of them have been in (Giant Bomb comes to mind), I would say they kind of need to be good in order to fully detail what makes a game good or not. Though obviously, you'll get some reviews like IGN giving God Hand a 3/10 that would support your theory.

.....also Seda sometimes reviews games for a RPG site, so you just called him a bad player.

I've said it before, but W101 needs more love.

Moaradin

TJvrsVD.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom