• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Off Topic buttttt....
- Soul Hackers was too "old school" for me & I didn't get far before deciding it wasn't for me. Where as SMT4 was a bit too hard/unforgiving. I'm not big on games where their main selling point is their difficulty & the 1st person dungeon crawling in Persona 1 & Soul Hackers isn't my thing. Partly why I'm not into the Etrian Odyssey games.

- Conception 2 is very "meh". Only play if you know you're getting something average & have nothing else to play. I'm just bummed I can't find some of the battle tunes, I liked them, aside from the dull music from the demo or the one that was on the pre-order CD that I have.

- I only played 2 of the Neptune spin-offs (Action Unleashed U & Sega Hard Girls) & they were so damn average. I can't imagine the main games are much better.

- Did ya like Bravely Default? If you did, sounds like you'll enjoy the sequel. Personally, the first game didn't click for me.

- People on here have said great things about Trials of Cold Steel, they can go into more detail.

- I've heard mixed reactions to Tales of Heart R, but I think it was about the characters &/or story, can't remember

- I've heard DQ7 takes a while to "get going" & open up what you can do, i.e classes.

Meanwhile, probably gonna get Skies of Arcadia Legends this week, maybe make it my next RPG after FF15 to make the wait for Persona 5 easier, but then again, got a huge backlog, including a bunch of SMT PS2 games on my PS3.

I've said it before, but W101 needs more love.
One of these days, I'll go back to it, mainly to see this ending that people talk about.

Jarate

Banned
It's not an indictment against people, most people are bad at video games, im pretty shit at a lot of them too, and I spend way too much time playing games. I just find it odd with the idea that game reviewers know better then others because they are apparently good at video games, which is not always the case, and generally, you don't need to be a good game player for 90% of games released. You don't need to be a "good" game player to complete them.

Game critique is still in an infant stage though, so I'll give it time to mature. And this isn't every game journo or critic, there are some that are very good at games.

My previous statement was a little hot takey though, so I apologize if it rubbed any of you guys the wrong way.

Jarate

Banned
The list...
3DS:
Dragon Quest 7 - Awesome game, but if you can't deal with how Dragon Questy it is, then you're probably going to dislike it.

Vita:
Conception 2 - Garbo, unless you like anime girls
Hyperdimesnion Neptunia Rebirth - Garbo unless you like anime girls

Bonus PSP Section:

Legend of Heros Trails in the Sky - Im not that far into it, but it's ok, nothing special. This has a PC release which would probably be the best way to play it
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together - Do you like Final Fantasy Tactics. This is basically that game, but with less Final Fantasy in it

Games ive played.

You should really play the greatest JRPG ever made, Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden: Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga
I am not kidding by calling this one of the best JRPGs ever made. This is probably the best or 2nd best Western JRPG (Undertale)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH GOD SAILOR MOON IS GOING TO REPLACE DBZ KAI, ISN'T IT

It's not an indictment against people, most people are bad at video games, im pretty shit at a lot of them too, and I spend way too much time playing games. I just find it odd with the idea that game reviewers know better then others because they are apparently good at video games, which is not always the case, and generally, you don't need to be a good game player for 90% of games released. You don't need to be a "good" game player to complete them.

Game critique is still in an infant stage though, so I'll give it time to mature. And this isn't every game journo or critic, there are some that are very good at games.

My previous statement was a little hot takey though, so I apologize if it rubbed any of you guys the wrong way.
To be fair, I get what you mean. You occasionally run into "that" review where they get things wrong & you question if they even played the same game. As mentioned, I used IGN & God Hand as an example and I'm sure Polygon could be used (I recall a thread where they were criticized for the footage of Doom they released where the player looked like he never played a FPS). & again, I see what you mean for games where there's a bit of a difficulty curve to fully grasp the mechanics or controls, because they have a deadline, they might not have the time to understand it because they need to quick move on to the next game they need to review.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm trying to remember how long ago Sailor Moon Crystal made it onto the top 5 requested Toonami shows. Wanna say early 2015 or late 2014, but after a while, it dropped off the list.

Edit: I've also discovered while trying to find said lists that DeMarco has deactivated his ask.fm account.

I don't know if it's the exact order, but back in June 2015, the top requested shows were:

- DB Super
- Sailor Moon Crystal
- Jojo
- Hunter x Hunter
- Fairy Tail

I'm trying to remember how long ago Sailor Moon Crystal made it onto the top 5 requested Toonami shows. Wanna say early 2015 or late 2014, but after a while, it dropped off the list.

Edit: I've also discovered while trying to find said lists that DeMarco has deactivated his ask.fm account.

I don't know if it's the exact order, but back in June 2015, the top requested shows were:

- DB Super
- Sailor Moon Crystal
- Jojo
- Hunter x Hunter
- Fairy Tail

I know most recently, DeMarco said the three most requested shows were Mob Psycho 100, Tokyo Ghoul, and AOT Season 2. And based on a twitter poll a couple of weeks ago, I'd say the first two are likely pickups throughout 2017.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I recall it was One Punch Man S2, not AoT2. 4th & 5th place were hard to figure out because the remainder of requests were too varied to count.

But yes, MP100 seems possible for next year (& being only 12 episodes, it works as a nice "break" show from the longer stuff we've had lately).

Edit: Yup, the Oct. top requested list DeMarco released was OPM S2, Tokyo Ghoul, & Mob Psycho 100 (not sure in which order). I think AoT2 might've been on the list at one point, but not as of recently.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm just glad based on what I've heard (mainly from the podcast), we're close to finishing Thriller Bark & the next arc should be much better paced in comparison.

Next year in general should be good. HxH will be "picking up" based on what the fans have said, Part 2 of Jojo is going to be fun, DBZ Kai is most likely done (hopefully), & One Piece is moving on to a new arc. Plus I'm sure we're gonna get some awesome acquisitions.

Off Topic buttttt....

The list...
3DS:
Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers: Didn't click with me. Not a bad game but it didn't hold my interest.
Shin Megami Tensei 4: Liked SMTIV quite a bit. Early game is a bit of a slog but it opens up once you reach Tokyo.
Bravely Second: Depends on how much you liked BD. Can't comment on the game itself, though

Vita:
Conception 2: I've passed on it in multiple sales despite playing the demo several times. Take that however you will.
Lost Dimension: Pretty decent game overall. Probably wouldn't be my first choice though.

Bonus PSP Section:

Legend of Heros Trails in the Sky: The Goat RPG of 2011! That said, I'd recommend either getting it digitally to play on your PSP/Vita or buy it off of Steam.
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony: Liked the demo but never got around to actually playing it.
Persona and Person 2 Innocent Sin: Both games have aged considerably so it might not be your cup of tea.
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together: You like Final Fantasy Tactics? If so, you'll be right at home here.

My thoughts.

zulux21

Nah, the next arc is fantastically paced. People who don't think so are just wrong, or more likely confusing it with the arcs that come right after it, which are genuinely slow.

nah... the anime is slowly paced in general once you hit Halloween town. it gets even worse later because the actual arcs drag out in the manga as well, but the anime drags out quite a bit in general.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers

Fantastic little story based late 90's Megaten game. It's a bit...old school. One of the best SMT games. I rank it sixth.

Shin Megami Tensei 4

Fun game. Much less archaic than SH. You'll get used to demon negotiation soon enough. Might want to look up a guide if you get into it if you want to get a netural ending.

Bravely Second

One of many JRPGS released this year...and one of the best. If you liked BD:FF, you'll love BS. Very funny (but very wordy) game. Great dub. Play the demo first as it gives an interesting what if prelude to the game.

Little Battler eXperience

No comment! I don't really like most Level 5 games besides Layton and Fantasy Life though.

Dragon Quest 7

DQ VII isn't one gigantic JRPG. It's 30 tiny ones. One of the most depressing yet at the same time uplifting games ever made. It is slow and deliberate, but also iterative and endlessly charming. Don't ever grind. It pretty much ruins the pacing.

Vita:

Conception 2

Trash.

Lost Dimension

No comment.

Trails of Cold Steel

Good game. Very animu.

Hyperdimesnion Neptunia Rebirth

Bad game. Very animu.

Monster Monpiece

Utter trash.

Tales of Hearts R

Looks like crap compared to the original. Also has one of Namco's worst localizations in years.

Ys Memory of Celceta

Good game.

Bonus PSP Section:

Kexyz Force

Sounds like a 2 dollar puzzle game on XBLA from 2006.

Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky

Fun game. Very animu.

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

Awful port of a good game.

Riviera The Promised Land

Load times...voice acting. Weird but fun item management/choose your own adventure/dating sim. I prefer the GBA version because of no loads.

Persona

The only persona game I dislike more than 3/4.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin

One of the only two good mainline Persona games, it's other half is the other one.

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together

Inferior version of one of the best games ever made. But what makes it inferior some people ADORE.

Yggdra Union

Never played the PSP version but the GBA version is this weird tactics sort of game that's really cool.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece does not ever get good pacing again, which sucks ass.

The next 2 arcs are awesome

I've watched the next arc twice since around this time last year when it came out. It's probably the best paced arc after Drum Island. Everything happens quickly but nothing is rushed.

zulux21

One Piece does not ever get good pacing again, which sucks ass.

The next 2 arcs are awesome

they watch fairly well via english binge watching, but yeah week to week just gets worse and worse.

luckily there are fans fixing it, but I don't think I can post about them since it's illegal given they don't own the rights to the series.

I've watched the next arc twice since around this time last year when it came out. It's probably the best paced arc after Drum Island. Everything happens quickly but nothing is rushed.

eh.. the pacing is still all over the place in the next arc. it really drags at times. But it's still way better than the pacing in the arc after that.

Thanks guys, I did not like Bravely Default and usually hate job systems in JRPGs, so that's out. I guess I'll try SMT4 for a few hours
SMT4 is actually legit, but I found the first 4 hours hard as hell. The game is hard until you have the time and knowledge and health to recruit and fuse better demons for combat. Eventually I just broke the game by fusing demons with both the magic reflect and physical attack reflect spells.

bigkrev

SMT4 is actually legit, but I found the first 4 hours hard as hell. The game is hard until you have the time and knowledge and health to recruit and fuse better demons for combat. Eventually I just broke the game by fusing demons with both the magic reflect and physical attack reflect spells.

I really only plan on playing for an hour or so, so I don't think its going to matter lol
I do have the strategy book the game came with at least!

Off Topic buttttt....

I need your help to decide what JRPG I own on 3DS or Vita that I should play! I should note that i'm probably going to play these games for an hour or 2 before never touching again, so if it's got a slow start, LOL, please don't recommend that. Also, I understand that I have problems buying games I fully intend to never play, but anytime there is a sale I kinda lose all self control. Bravely Second and DQ7 are on the list only because I had $25 Gamestop coupons off used games from Black Friday that needed to be used before the end of the year, and those were the most expensive games I didn't already own or play.

The list...
3DS:
Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers
Shin Megami Tensei 4

Bravely Second
Little Battler eXperience
Dragon Quest 7

Vita:
Conception 2
Lost Dimension
Trails of Cold Steel
Hyperdimesnion Neptunia Rebirth
Monster Monpiece
Tales of Hearts R
Ys Memory of Celceta

Bonus PSP Section:

Kexyz Force
Legend of Heros Trails in the Sky
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Riviera Thr Promised Land
Persona
Person 2 Innocent Sin
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Yggdra Union

I'm leaning towards SMT4 but the only SMT games I have played are Persona 3 and 4 (which I really liked), and the idea of talking to monsters sounds daunting to me.

The ones I recommend the most. SMT4 is a great game with an even better sequel in SMT4:A.

Trails is so godlike though and the Persona 2 dualogy is my personal favorite from the Persona series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Thanks guys, I did not like Bravely Default and usually hate job systems in JRPGs, so that's out. I guess I'll try SMT4 for a few hours
I'm with you, job systems just don't work with me for some reason. But I'm also the "I want everyone to be completely balanced & well leveled with the best balance of magic & physical" player. In FF15, I haven't even finished Ch. 3 yet & everyone is at lv. 29.

BBboy20

IH0Qj1T.jpg

Guys...

zulux21

Toonami won't get to real HxH craziness until what 2018?
You guys should really get used to the narrator.

yeah around 2018 will be a good time to drop HxH due to it hitting the worst arc :/ (well if you are really enjoying HxH it is still worth watching, if it's just okay though your time would likely be better spent elsewhere it's just a huge step down from the previous few arcs, though has some really cool ideas.)

the sad part is it could have been a really good arc, but it just isn't focused at all, so much pointless crap in it. Sadly the byproduct of the creator repeatedly taking long breaks.

yeah around 2018 will be a good time to drop HxH due to it hitting the worst arc :/ (well if you are really enjoying HxH it is still worth watching, if it's just okay though your time would likely be better spent elsewhere it's just a huge step down from the previous few arcs, though has some really cool ideas.)

the sad part is it could have been a really good arc, but it just isn't focused at all, so much pointless crap in it. Sadly the byproduct of the creator repeatedly taking long breaks.
But it's still a very good arc. That arc is too divisive, I get the pacing complaints but the story and character moments are top notch.

zulux21

But it's still a very good arc. That arc is too divisive, I get the pacing complaints but the story and character moments are top notch.

it's really not...
the only arc in HxH that is even close to being as mediocre is the first arc which lacks the charm the rest of the series has and took some time to figure out.

it has some good ideas, and a few good characters, but it has way more bad ideas, and bad characters :/ and overall is a huge disappointment given the solid arcs that came before it.

if it was half the length, and far more focused it could be a very good arc. instead it's basically the skypeia arc of one piece. (an arc that also has some cool ideas, but is bogged down by bad pacing, and to much random crap) on the plus side for one piece that is sandwiched between two great arcs... sadly we still don't know if that is true for hunter x hunter because it will be another 30 years before we know how the arc after that turns out lol

I'm sure some people will still enjoy the arc, but it was a huge let down for me.

it's really not...
the only arc in HxH that is even close to being as mediocre is the first arc which lacks the charm the rest of the series has and took some time to figure out.

it has some good ideas, and a few good characters, but it has way more bad ideas, and bad characters :/ and overall is a huge disappointment given the solid arcs that came before it.

if it was half the length, and far more focused it could be a very good arc. instead it's basically the skypeia arc of one piece. (an arc that also has some cool ideas, but is bogged down by bad pacing, and to much random crap) on the plus side for one piece that is sandwiched between two great arcs... sadly we still don't know if that is true for hunter x hunter because it will be another 30 years before we know how the arc after that turns out lol

I'm sure some people will still enjoy the arc, but it was a huge let down for me.
But I thought it was better than the arc that came before it where they ran around looking for
Yu Gi Oh cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom