• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you shit on
Greed Island
either.
Best
game of dodgeball ever animated.
I liked parts of it, but not all of it, I felt it was mostly let down by a boring villain though. Though the conclusion of that arc cemented Gon as insane as fuck.

zulux21

Don't you shit on Skypeia, that arc was great.
meh.
But I thought it was better than the arc that came before it where they ran around looking for
Yu Gi Oh cards

nah... that one was way more fun.

On a scale of 1 to 10: What's your favorite anime?

uh.... I guess 7.
as 7 is nana in japanese.
and that is actually one of my favorite series.

I don't think any other numbers are in my favorites :p

Regiruler

SMT4 is actually legit, but I found the first 4 hours hard as hell. The game is hard until you have the time and knowledge and health to recruit and fuse better demons for combat. Eventually I just broke the game by fusing demons with both the magic reflect and physical attack reflect spells.

Then they start spamming mega dolan and nuke your party.

Moaradin

Even though that arc is almost half of the entirely of HxH, it's still not even half as long as the longest One Piece arc. It isn't even as long as the Water 7 saga.

cntr

Banned
The arc felt much longer than it is because Togashi's spine shattered when it began.

e: I thought that arc was bloody amazing too

Moaradin

I did it when it was airing and loved every second of it :p

But really, you guys are used to One Piece and Naruto pacing on a week to week basis. That HxH arc is long but the pacing isn't anywhere near those levels of bad.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The next arc in HxH is focused on
Crap Puka
so it is the worst by default. Hell the manga just went back into permanent hiatus from making him the main character again.

I can't fathom watching that HxH arc an episode a week.

Really glad all the episodes were up by the time I started it.
Same here, I powered through that shit at a marathon pace, which is honestly the best way to experience it. The feels you go through with Killua and Gon are tremendous and then you reach the bottom and then you're just emotionally drained the same way the characters are.
That divisive arc is my favorite arc in all of anime/manga. So fuck the haters.
YNV4G.gif

The arc felt much longer than it is because Togashi's spine shattered when it began.

e: I thought that arc was bloody amazing too
How does one shatter their spine playing Dragon Quest?
Crap Puka
so it is the worst by default. Hell the manga just went back into permanent hiatus from making him the main character again.
But that arc is legit, too bad it's still way before people on here truly figure out this Nen bullshit.
I did it when it was airing and loved every second of it :p

But really, you guys are used to One Piece and Naruto pacing on a week to week basis. That HxH arc is long but the pacing isn't anywhere near those levels of bad.
Plus the content in that arc is like a trillion times better written than fucking Naruto Shitpooden's War arc.

Crap Puka

Are you going to get around to telling us why you feel that way about that character once those episodes are aired?

Early ratings time.

DBZ Kai-1,426 0.6
Jojo-1,062 0.5
Gundam IBO-950 0.4
HxH-845 0.4
Naruto-726 0.3

Nothing on One Piece or One Punch yet.

zulux21

Crap Puka

I still don't get why you hate one of the better characters o.o;

he is way more interesting than gon.

I still don't get why you hate one of the better characters o.o;

he is way more interesting than gon.
Everybody is way more interesting than Gon, except for Leorio. Gon's probably going to grow up and be the next
Uvogin, with Kurapika going revenge mad and turning into Chrollo.

Back to double millions again, almost triple. Good ratings this week.
A lot of people must be home for the holiday break.

Even though that arc is almost half of the entirely of HxH, it's still not even half as long as the longest One Piece arc. It isn't even as long as the Water 7 saga.

In the anime adaptations, yeah.

In the manga, it's the opposite.

Gon is a really interesting character, much more than he seems at a glance.
This is true, but sometimes I feel like you really have to pay attention to his actions to figure him out. I always feel that his growth runs counter clockwise to Killua's growth, which makes for some rather interesting "How the fuck is Gon the protagonist?" moments.

Moaradin

Back to double millions again, almost triple. Good ratings this week.
A lot of people must be home for the holiday break.

In the anime adaptations, yeah.

In the manga, it's the opposite.

Dressrosa Saga still has it beat in terms of manga chapters. I'm sure the constant hiatuses made it seem way worse than it actually was though.

zulux21

Everybody is way more interesting than Gon, except for Leorio. Gon's probably going to grow up and be the next
Uvogin, with Kurapika going revenge mad and turning into Chrollo.

I actually really appreciate Leorio.
random mostly normal guy in way over his head...
and instead of trying to pretend he is relevant like yamcha... he actually just goes off and does his own thing.

Dressrosa Saga still has it beat in terms of manga chapters. I'm sure the constant hiatuses made it seem way worse than it actually was though.

ant arc is better than desarosa arc I will give you that one.
desarosa lasts way to damn long @_@
even though it has some of my favorite scenes of one piece it is by far one of the weakest arcs due to how much it drags on.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

It's easier to marathon. Like Skypiea and Fishman Island.

Really, One Piece as a whole is better read through collected volumes than weekly. BUT WE DO IT ANYWAY!

This is true, but sometimes I feel like you really have to pay attention to his actions to figure him out. I always feel that his growth runs counter clockwise to Killua's growth, which makes for some rather interesting "How the fuck is Gon the protagonist?" moments.

Thing I find interesting about Gon is the Hunter Exam throws out some pretty explicit hints the type of character Gon would later become.
Particular his having to hunt Hisoka for his badge, and the way he carried on in his match with Hanzo despite having no actual feasible way to win.

I've always been curious how different the manga would be if Kurapika was the protagonist. For a long time, I used to think he was more interesting than Gon.

I don't acknowledge sagas since most of them aren't really official. And the line between what qualifies as one gets blurry as the story has progressed.

I actually really appreciate Leorio.
random mostly normal guy in way over his head...
and instead of trying to pretend he is relevant like yamcha... he actually just goes off and does his own thing.
Best thing about Leorio is that he knows when he's way over his head and won't stand there and try to fight some OP shit.

Thing I find interesting about Gon is the Hunter Exam throws out some pretty explicit hints the type of character Gon would later become.
Particular his having to hunt Hisoka for his badge, and the way he carried on in his match with Hanzo despite having no actual feasible way to win.
You can't win! Imma get what I want! *gets knocked the fuck out cause Hanzo's sick of Gon's shit*
I've always been curious how different the manga would be if Kurapika was the protagonist. For a long time, I used to think he was more interesting than Gon.

I don't acknowledge sagas since most of them aren't really official. And the line between what qualifies as one gets blurry as the story has progressed.
He is, but Kurapika's got his own set of gaping flaws as well.
Dude would be dead without a much needed foil to calm him the fuck down.

Leorio has one of the best moments in HxH coming in..ummm...2019?
Yeah really...this is why I'm glad I didn't wait for the dub to catch up, there's just too much good shit to witness.
I Can't imagine any character who can't realize they are in over their head and just repeatedly face off against OP shit.

none at all

:p
Even Yamcha knew when to stop...though not before he got his shit pushed in by some Cell Jrs. and impaled by an old ass man robot.

Leorio was the man we needed to run against Trump in this campaign.

We also get to meet like hands down the worst shonen parent ever. Like, I know Goku being a shitty dad has been made into a meme
but Ging straight up puts him to shame.

My mission to come out of re-experiencing Hunter X Hunter and liking it better then I did when reading the manga probably does hinge on the arc that's coming up after the York New stuff. That
Greed Island
slog fest that I was really bored by... hopefully I'll enjoy it more in anime form. I really want to.

I heard some talk about Skypeia in there too. I remember liking it in the anime fine (didn't watch it week to week. I binged it after One Piece and Toonami was cancelled the first time on Cartoon Network and took it from there until I ran out of episodes to marathon) but reading it over in the manga made me fall in love with it. So many things about it just flew over my head when I was experiencing it years ago. I think the Noland and Calgara flashback might be my favorite one in the series honestly. And the significance behind Luffy ringing the bell at the end is so much clearer then just because Crickett wanted to hear it down below. And the way he names the chapters after musical terms like Capriccio and Oratorio and even calls the ending "Finale" like it was a play. So much respect for this arc right here.

Seda

At this point of exposure to HxH, I'd say my favorite characters are Killua, Kurapika. Hisoka is kinda sorta interesting but mostly just a creep. I think Gon and Leorio are both kinda terrible to be honest.

I understand there is a lot to go, but maybe you HxH veterans find the opinions of a neophyte interesting, I dunno.

zulux21

We also get to meet like hands down the worst shonen parent ever. Like, I know Goku being a shitty dad has been made into a meme
but Ging straight up puts him to shame.

huh...

ging is a better father than goku by far.
ging abandoned his son sure.
goku abandoned his son multiple times. (after freiza, choosing to stay dead after cell, and hell the end of z he continues the tradition by abanding goten) kidnapped his child and constantly lied to his wife about it (training before android saga, and then in the time chamber costing chichi years with her child between the two), forced his child to murder someone else because he was to dumb to realize that wasn't what gohan wanted. and still manages to constantly put the earth in trouble by drawing super powerful beings to it. (he invites beings that threaten to destroy the earth all the time in super)
ging just lets gon do his own thing and when he finally gets there sits down and has a chill chat with him.

I mean if you want to go off standards like that I would argue that luffy's father is far worse too.

I mean not only did he abandon his son but he is also the leader of the revolutionary army which is one step worse :p

I mean naruto's dad sucks more too.

sure his heart was in the right place, but he still put a monster into his son, making him the source of hate for the entire town causing a situation that would have resulted in a mentally broken child had it not been a shonen story.

Moaradin

Wonder why you think Gon and Leorio are terrible so far? I mean, I can understand them not being extremely interesting at this point but what makes them terrible?

Jarate

Banned
We need shows with a great main character cast

We need a show that has super attacks and energy

Not enough female representation in characters

I know what show would fit that bill wonderfully. Keijo!!!!!!!! for Toonami!

Seda

Wonder why you think Gon and Leorio are terrible so far? I mean, I can understand them not being extremely interesting at this point but what makes them terrible?

I'll keep it brief because I don't want to fully judge characters ~15% into a story.

Gon is stupidly stubborn to an irritating degree. Repeatedly getting hit by Canary and his refusal to let Hanzo "give up" in the Hunter Exam tourney exemplify this. It almost comes across as selfish. Like some person pestering you repeatedly until they get what they want. It's also just a bit unbelievable and generic. "Never Give Up" shonen and all that.

Leorio has a little bit more going for him because of his desire to help people (be a doctor) and he genuinely seems like a kind and empathetic person at times, but his role as a sort comic relief often undermines this. He hasn't had much spotlight yet (and what he has had is usually to his detriment) so there's not much to go on (yet, I hope).

Jarate

Banned
Leorio is a good guy and somewhat interesting, but basically is treated like trash by the creator. Leorio has literally been wrong or actively hurt the team in basically every single one of his encounters. He did push a door though, which was really the only time we saw him do stuff

Gon is also somewhat poorly developed. Sure he's somewhat charismatic, and he's a nice kid, but everyone fucking jizzes their pants over him (not for the DTL reasons) even though this universe seems to be filled with a bunch of special individuals. I also think his character motivations are a little weak so far.

I don't like it in shows when a creator tries to make someone with a shit ton of charisma, when the character themselves dont have that much Charisma (Sasuke). Jojo does this incredibly well though, Dio as a villain is incredibly charismatic.

I don't think any of them are "terrible" but Killua is definitely my least favorite. Kurapika and Leorio are probably up there for my actual favorites.

And Gon is Gon. Just a force of nature that I feel extremely neutral about.

HxH is kind of odd in that it introduced us to the main characters, but it didn't really showcase them either.

Leorio and Kurapika are still kind of unknowns.

Moaradin

I don't want to say much because spoilers but I think Gon's character traits come up in very interesting ways and have very real consequences. In a lesser shonen "never giving up" doesn't ever amount to anything, but the way HxH plays around with it makes it a cool character flaw IMO.

Killua is da best though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only time Leorio deserves his main character status is the first arc, the next arc, and the last arc. Unlike Crap Puka though he is never the main focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom