• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Also they love YYH so much that they re-recorded a ton of it for the Blu-Ray release so it has an even better dub.
wait they did?
any examples of this?

I have YYH on dvd and have been tempted to get it on blu ray as I like it, but couldn't justify wasting money on blu ray for a small difference in quality (at least to me)
but if there is a decent amount of dubbing changes then that would more than make it worthwhile o_O

zulux21

Seems like it's a Bang Zoom dub being posted on Funimation. Weird.

no that makes sense.

mob psycho is crunchy.
crunchy is using bang zoom for their dubs but are in a partnership with funi that crunchy gets the subs of the funi shows while funi gets the dubs of crunchy shows.

Moaradin

no that makes sense.

mob psycho is crunchy.
crunchy is using bang zoom for their dubs but are in a partnership with funi that crunchy gets the subs of the funi shows while funi gets the dubs of crunchy shows.

Yes, but the other Crunchy shows that Funimation dubbed all used Funimation voices actors, so this is a first as far as I'm aware. It definitely makes sense why this was the only one that took a while to come out now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
wait they did?
any examples of this?

I have YYH on dvd and have been tempted to get it on blu ray as I like it, but couldn't justify wasting money on blu ray for a small difference in quality (at least to me)
but if there is a decent amount of dubbing changes then that would more than make it worthwhile o_O

The script is mostly the same, but they had much better equipment and standards by the time they did it for the BD version. A couple of lines were changed to the TOONAMI edit version because they were better/wittier. I think one or two actors for very minor roles were recast. A lot of Yusuke's dialog was completely redone. I don't know if anyone has ever done a youtube comparison of it, but I was blown away a few summers ago when I finally watched it again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kirbopher? That Newgrounds dude who did Brawl Taunts & NiN10Doh?

.............I feel old now.....

But anyways, that seems like a rather good dub list. I'm hopeful we won't hear Mikazuki coming out of Mob.

zulux21

Yes, but the other Crunchy shows that Funimation dubbed all used Funimation voices actors, so this is a first as far as I'm aware. It definitely makes sense why this was the only one that took a while to come out now.
I suppose, but this is one of the bigger ones. I imagine attack on trains will be bang zoom as well.

The script is mostly the same, but they had much better equipment and standards by the time they did it for the BD version. A couple of lines were changed to the TOONAMI edit version because they were better/wittier. I think one or two actors for very minor roles were recast. A lot of Yusuke's dialog was completely redone. I don't know if anyone has ever done a youtube comparison of it, but I was blown away a few summers ago when I finally watched it again.
I see... hmm I was likely going to do a rewatch soon anyways, maybe I will get the blus.

though they better have not removed yusuke's line "Ooh a basement" while he is walking up the tower with the 4 saint beasts. that line has many fond memories for me... the original dub was loaded with a ton of great one liners :p

Have any of you heard any murmurs on the net about a person or group showing interest in recording the DBS Bang Zoom dub from Toonami Asia?

Hopefully theirs someone out there whose a big enough DB fan to record it consistently.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm trying to even remember the last film (that wasn't just Rifftrax) that I actually saw in theaters because every time there's a movie I want to see, it's not at the theater I work at & instead at the one that's an hour away which is always on a day when I'd have to go into work that night.

Heck, I can't even remember using my employee discount to see movies for free on an actual non-Rifftrax movie, let alone upcoming ones that I want to see. 20th anniversary showing of Princess Mononoke? Nope, not getting it. One Piece Film Gold? Nah, isn't in my area. The reshowing of the original Ghost in the Shell film to prepare for the live-action one? Sorry, out of luck.

zulux21

Have any of you heard any murmurs on the net about a person or group showing interest in recording the DBS Bang Zoom dub from Toonami Asia?

Hopefully theirs someone out there whose a big enough DB fan to record it consistently.

I haven't heard of any rumblings, but even if I had it's not like I can point you to such things here on neogaf as it is against TOS to link to illegal things such as that :p

I wouldn't worry though, dragon ball is big enough that I am sure it will be kept somewhere... heck I imagine that that version of the dub will eventually get a home video release as well somewhere in the world.

I haven't heard of any rumblings, but even if I had it's not like I can point you to such things here on neogaf as it is against TOS to link to illegal things such as that :p

I wouldn't worry though, dragon ball is big enough that I am sure it will be kept somewhere... heck I imagine that that version of the dub will eventually get a home video release as well somewhere in the world.

No need to name names, just need to know if theirs people out there who are going to pursue it.

I'm not so sure about that, Funimation usually has a monopoly of DVD/BR releases of their licenses and even though its a different group doing the dub it may still fall to funimation to release DVD/BRs in that region.

Besides we don't know if this Bang Zoom dub will last, its existence kind of redundant. I was looking over Toonami Asia's Youtube the other day and they had previews of the DBZ episodes they were airing for the week, turns out Toonami Asia has been getting the Funimation dub of the Buu Saga and airing that. Funimation just may take over after a season or 2.

funimation only gets the rights to release in usa/canada and just recently uk they have no rights to release anime outside those countries

Then I gotta see who handles DVD/BR distribution in the area of where Toonami Asia is airing and see what release of DBZ is being distributed over there.

But why is the Funimation dub airing in Toonami Asia if Funimation didn't have some sort of deal there?

zulux21

Then I gotta see who handles DVD/BR distribution in the area of where Toonami Asia is airing and see what release of DBZ is being distributed over there.

But why is the Funimation dub airing in Toonami Asia if Funimation didn't have some sort of deal there?

likely because funimation doesn't own the dub to dbz, toei does.

once the dub is created toei can license it out to anyone it wants whether funimation agrees to it or not. (it's the same way on how funimation can rerelease stuff like code geass with the original dub)

at least that is how it is with the skip beat dub and thus why they couldn't include other regions in the kickstarter, but they have home video releases with the dub in regions outside of NA.

But it doesn't seem right, or fair, to X out the people who worked hard on the dub of your anime without notifying them. Funimation and Toei seem to be on good terms, I don't see why Funi would object to an airing on Toonami Asia.

Btw I hope the fix the tint in our release of Buu Kai, because look at this shit:
VuKOU74.png

(The right was from a discussion on Kanzenshuu on how to go about fixing the RGB levels, so its a fan edit).

zulux21

But it doesn't seem right, or fair, to X out the people who worked hard on the dub of your anime without notifying them. Funimation and Toei seem to be on good terms, I don't see why Funi would object to an airing on Toonami Asia.

funi likely doesn't object to it, but fair or not it's a clause in the contract to get the rights to dub and release it in the first place.

you gain rights to dub and release the series in lets say north america for lets say 10 years.

during that time they can't license out that series to anyone else in north america, but they own everything related to the series including the dub you made. Meaning they can't turn around and give it to sentai for north america but they can totally turn around and give it to madman (I think that is one of the companies) for UK release with in that 10 year window.

after that window is over, then they can turn around and give the rights to sentai for north america release with your dub if they wanted to.

in general though they just let the company renew the license if they want to keep selling it.

the only reason funimation lost a bunch of licenses is because aniplex got into the NA anime game and wanted to control all of their licenses.

though again the situation might be different for funimation, anime companies tend to keep info really close to their chest. a lot of the information we know about licensing costs come from ADV bankruptcy stuff. this info comes from pied pipper who is doing skip beat and being as transparent as possible.

Far Cry Primal is one of those games that never really begin, and yet paradoxically, kind of just ends too.

Also, I get it, I'm a hunter-gatherer, but fuck, why is there so much gathering? Why do most upgrades require four different things, usually a lot of each one? Why do I need to gather 30 boulders to upgrade my club?

Chase17

Far Cry Primal is one of those games that never really begin, and yet paradoxically, kind of just ends too.

Also, I get it, I'm a hunter-gatherer, but fuck, why is there so much gathering? Why do most upgrades require four different things, usually a lot of each one? Why do I need to gather 30 boulders to upgrade my club?
I beat what I assumed was the final boss but nothing of note really happened after since I hadn't built something. Fun game though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks neat.

Also, I was recently reminded that Blue Gender exists.

Remember Blue Gender? The Blue mostly destroy humanity in 2017.

Remember how the story goes completely bananas towards the end?
I remember precisely one thing about Blue Gender, and that's the aliens' vagina mouths.

Welp, I'm finished with Grad School for the semester. Turned in my final projects so now I have free time between now and the beginning of January.

To prep myself for Unicorn, I'm going to binge the OG Mobile Suit Gundam series. I've actually never watched them so I'm starting with the very first episode now. I'll probably post my thoughts as I go along lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Looks neat.

Also, I was recently reminded that Blue Gender exists.

Remember Blue Gender? The Blue mostly destroy humanity in 2017.

Remember how the story goes completely bananas towards the end?

For some reason Blue Gender was going to be a OG Toonami show before ending up on ASA and thus it was edited to shit.

So I played around half of Clustertruck. Clustertruck suffers from having a physics engine that often seems like its doing its trying to do its job too well. It often feels like whether or not you complete a stage is dependent upon how the trucks randomly traverse the stage, instead of it being about how well you traverse the stage. There have a few levels where the trucks got into too big of a pileup/flew off a cliff, and there just isn't a way to finish the level that run. Couple this with the occasional level that seem to require a blind jump and just hoping a truck will be there to deliver you, and you've got a game that's often really frustrating. The levels are short, and if you beat a level in two tries, it probably won't leave much of an impression on you. The ones that take you 30 tries stick with you. The ones that seem poorly thought out.

It's a shame too, because when Clustertruck works, it's fun. It feels frantic, but manageable, and has a nice sense of speed.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, with Cell defeated the heroes turn to the dragon balls to restore everything that Cell took from them, JoJo and friends close in on a brutal final battle with the wicked Dio in his castle overlooking Windknights Lot, McGillis reveals his true intentions to Gaelio while Kudelia and Makanai rush to the Parliament building in Iron-Blooded Orphans' season 1 finale, while Gon convalesces an enemy from Hisoka's past challenges the killer clown to seek out his revenge, Itachi reveals his ultimate technique as the battle between him and Sasuke comes to a climactic end, with the Straw Hats at the end of their rope it's up to Nightmare Luffy to save the day against Luffy's own monstrous zombie, and finally the heroes mobilize to try and stop a meteor from wiping City Z off the map.

12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 97 - A Bittersweet Victory! Until We Meet Again!
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 8 - Bloody Battle! JoJo & Dio
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 25 - Tekkadan - END
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 31 - Destiny × And × Tenacity
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 138 - The End
2:30 - One Piece - 372 - The Incredible Battle Starts! Luffy vs Luffy
3:00 - One-Punch Man - 7 - The Ultimate Disciple

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh right, season finale for IBO.

.......yet for some reason, it doesn't feel like it. Man, I hope Unicorn Re:0096 is better, or at the very least, more memorable. IBO is gonna be one of those "....oh right, that aired...." shows where I'm not gonna remember much & just go "meh", though you guys explain the problems with it much better.

Fun fact about tonight's Hunter X Hunter, if it's the one I think it is. The fight was skipped in the first anime, because they couldn't figure out a way to include it without heavy censoring. This anime included it mostly unchanged.

Regiruler

Oh right, season finale for IBO.

.......yet for some reason, it doesn't feel like it. Man, I hope Unicorn Re:0096 is better, or at the very least, more memorable. IBO is gonna be one of those "....oh right, that aired...." shows where I'm not gonna remember much & just go "meh", though you guys explain the problems with it much better.
I thought last episode of IBO was good so I'm moderately excited for the final fight.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I thought last episode of IBO was good so I'm moderately excited for the final fight.
Don't get me wrong, the last few episodes have finally been picking up, but that whole middle part just brought the whole series down when the beginning & final episodes were/have been good. & it's still technically better than some previous shows we've had on the block. But overall, I just don't feel any desire to revisit it (I sure didn't care about the marathon, especially when it was for some of the worst episodes of the series) & I honestly don't know if I'd want to bother with S2 aside from "well might as well see where it goes & if it's better than S1."

I wouldn't nominate it for worst show, but I'd vote for "most disappointing"

Edit: Sorry if I seem a bit "vague" as to how I feel about IBO, I pale in comparison to others on here like Seda who do a much better job explaining why something in a show works (like character development, plot structure, etc.) since I have some trouble with comprehension when it comes to the more "complex" shows like IBO or Ghost in the Shell when in comparison, I have a much easier time explaining my thoughts on shows like DBZ Kai or Jojo where the flaws or positive stuff are much more obvious/easier to explain.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Don't get me wrong, the last few episodes have finally been picking up, but that whole middle part just brought the whole series down when the beginning & final episodes were/have been good. & it's still technically better than some previous shows we've had on the block. But overall, I just don't feel any desire to revisit it (I sure didn't care about the marathon, especially when it was for some of the worst episodes of the series) & I honestly don't know if I'd want to bother with S2 aside from "well might as well see where it goes & if it's better than S1."

I wouldn't nominate it for worst show, but I'd vote for "most disappointing"

Edit: Sorry if I seem a bit "vague" as to how I feel about IBO, I pale in comparison to others on here like Seda who do a much better job explaining why something in a show works (like character development, plot structure, etc.) since I have some trouble with comprehension when it comes to the more "complex" shows like IBO or Ghost in the Shell when in comparison, I have a much easier time explaining my thoughts on shows like DBZ Kai or Jojo where the flaws or positive stuff are much more obvious/easier to explain.

I mean the main issue with IBO is we have no idea as to anyone's motives are. Why are the colonies rebelling? Why are they following blonde girl? Why does she want to lead them? What is she trying to negotiate? Why is she trying to negotiate it? Why does Gallerhorn want to get rid of her? Why are they such bad dudes? What's driving them? I mean, this is all stuff we should have an answer to by now. We should have had answers by episode 5.

Outside of that, and a couple of arcs that make no sense and do nothing to move the plot along or answer any important questions, the show is fine.

cntr

Banned
The issue I see with Unicorn is that it was made to be a celebration of UC Gundam. When all those characters and concepts from previous shows all show up, and all those references to old scenes are made, it's almost a grand party for the entire timeline.

It's kind of like...MGS4/MGS5, maybe? Not the best comparison, but you get the point; I'm not sure how fun it would be if you don't know all the old things they're referencing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, that's another main issue. I feel like we've been taking waaaaay too long to learn why any of this is going on, which makes it harder for me to stay invested in the show. Why bother to care about the characters if I don't know what they're fighting for (mmx4zeroscreaming.gif). We would've had a much better show if stuff we learned about near the end of the series was placed much earlier.

I almost mentioned it, but I wasn't sure if they actually did finally go into detail & I just missed it because I've honestly haven't been paying as much attention lately because outside of the action.

The issue I see with Unicorn is that it was made to be a celebration of UC Gundam. When all those characters and concepts from previous shows all show up, when all those references to old scenes show up, it's almost a grand party for the entire timeline.

It's kind of like...MGS4/MGS5, maybe? Not the best comparison, but you get the point; I'm not sure how fun it would be if you don't know all the old things they're referencing.
I noticed that when I was looking on Wiki what the show was. It basically started the summary of the plot with "SO A FEW YEARS AFTER CHAR ATTACKED....", so hoping they'll bring new viewers up to date with what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom