• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Char's the best, by the way:

72c.jpg
(actual line from the original series)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yup, that's another main issue. I feel like we've been taking waaaaay too long to learn why any of this is going on, which makes it harder for me to stay invested in the show. Why bother to care about the characters if I don't know what they're fighting for (mmx4zeroscreaming.gif). We would've had a much better show if stuff we learned about near the end of the series was placed much earlier.

I almost mentioned it, but I wasn't sure if they actually did finally go into detail & I just missed it because I've honestly haven't been paying as much attention lately because outside of the action.

No, they haven't explained most of the "why" yet. I mean, it's fine to have one character whose motivations you don't understand yet--that can lead to a nice air of mystery--but when it's over half the cast that's a huge problem.

Outside of that they do everything else right. It's just that not having this stuff makes it hard for people to care or form an emotional attachment with a character. I mean, we complain about Naruto all the time but this is something it does really well. We're never really wonder why anyone's doing what they're doing and when we are it's part of a larger mystery.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So on the one hand, we don't get to begin the Jojo marathon with the ep. 3 fight between Jonathan & Dio.

.....but on the other hand, we get to end with the beginning of Part 2. Plus we'll start with Jonathan meeting Zepelli.

As for DBZ Kai, think I mentioned this, but it'll start with the episode where Gohan thinks of a bird & turns into super duper saiyan 2 electric boogaloo

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Tonight is looking pretty stacked. Lots of finales and climactic ends. Very fitting for the end of the year.

Yeah, Jojo, IBO, Naruto, and One Piece all fit this billing tonight. And DBZ is in the wrap up stage.

That just leaves Hunter X Hunter (which should still be good) and One Punch Man, which is pretty much nothing but climax as a general rule.

So from what I'm hearing this week's filler episode of Super was good, like The goku and piccolo driving episode level good.

And Yamcha wasn't a total job, but they did reference a hilarious failure of his.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So from what I'm hearing this week's filler episode of Super was good, like The goku and piccolo driving episode level good.

And Yamcha wasn't a total job, but they did reference a hilarious failure of his.
Was it the one where
Arale from Dr. Slump
appeared? I saw some screenshots & a quick scene, can't wait to group watch that episode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That was the last episode, which was also good. This one was a
baseball
episode.
Now that sounds fun to watch. Dragon Ball as a whole seems to be more enjoyable when it's trying to be humorous instead of super serious & "HE'S GOT ANOTHER FORM THAT CAN DESTROY THE WORLD".

One Piece: Film Gold marks the first time I've ever used Fandango. As well as the first time I've ever bought mobile tickets for my phone. It's so weird having my tickets on my phone.

Now that sounds fun to watch. Dragon Ball as a whole seems to be more enjoyable when it's trying to be humorous instead of super serious & "HE'S GOT ANOTHER FORM THAT CAN DESTROY THE WORLD".

If theirs one thing your gonna like about Super, its the Filler episodes.

Moaradin

Super in general is a lot more humorous than DBZ, even in the main arcs. If you like that aspect of Dragon Ball then you'll probably enjoy Super.

Seda

I mean the main issue with IBO is we have no idea as to anyone's motives are. Why are the colonies rebelling? Why are they following blonde girl? Why does she want to lead them? What is she trying to negotiate? Why is she trying to negotiate it? Why does Gallerhorn want to get rid of her? Why are they such bad dudes? What's driving them? I mean, this is all stuff we should have an answer to by now. We should have had answers by episode 5.

Outside of that, and a couple of arcs that make no sense and do nothing to move the plot along or answer any important questions, the show is fine.

Yeah I feel like IBOs two biggest weakness in a nutshell are:

1.) Poor establishment of motives for all parties in the show (basically everything you said here)

2.) Weird pacing oddities. I feel like there's too much "filler" in between the actual important character moments and plot events. Like IBO will start to establish <something, some event or motivation>, drop it, and then come back to it 10 episodes later. [edit: Er, I guess you basically said this too. So, yes, I'm in agreement]

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, FF15 suffers from "repetitious quotes" syndrome, ESPECIALLY when you're fishing.

"NOCT, THE LINE"
"THINK THE LINE WILL HOLD OUT?"
"IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO RECAST THE LINE"
"WHAT, CAN'T YOU CATCH ANYTHING BIGGER?"
"TALK ABOUT BACKSEAT FISHING"

If theirs one thing your gonna like about Super, its the Filler episodes.

Super in general is a lot more humorous than DBZ, even in the main arcs. If you like that aspect of Dragon Ball then you'll probably enjoy Super.
Super sounds like it's going to be more to my liking & is probably why I enjoyed Battle of Gods (& the few episodes of the original DB that I saw) as much as I did, because it was trying to be more humorous than serious. Plus Beerus was a much more interesting/fun villain.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well just finished The Last Guardian. Never would have thought I would be saying that even a few years ago. Guess I'll watch some anime as a change of pace.

Mizerman

Yeah, they do tend to nail the comedic parts better than the serious ones.

The manga is still around?

Barely, its a waste of time tbh. it cuts huge parts of each arc just to keep up with its anime counterpart and makes it look like a choppy mess.

The only interesting thing about it is the fact that it does things alittle differently then the anime (Ex. goku goes Super Saiyan God/Red against Hit instead of Kaio-Ken SSB)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, they do tend to nail the comedic parts better than the serious ones.
If anything, Toriyama's a good comedian, just not a good story teller or good at drama/serious stuff. I read a few volumes of Dr. Slump & aside from a few poop jokes, it was still enjoyable & humorous at times.

It doesn't help half the problem of DBZ is that there's no urgency of death because they have a literal deus ex machina that just lets them wish people back to life, even when they try to be all "oh noes, we don't have the dragon balls" or "we already wished him back to life once" when we know they'll pull something to bring someone back or whatever.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
wtf, I could've sworn this was THE EXACT episode that aired last week, because it had that same "peter becomes photoshopped on a real life person" scene.

Even worse, I remember it's that episode where a couple were all "NAH, RELIGION WILL SAVE OUR CHILD, NOT MEDICAL SCIENCE"

So let's go down the list of the jokes in that last 2 minutes there.

Vampires checking their victims for diseases.
Leprosy.
Peter becoming the queen.

None of those funny. None of those are even slightly funny.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
wtf, I could've sworn this was THE EXACT episode that aired last week, because it had that same "peter becomes photoshopped on a real life person" scene.

Even worse, I remember it's that episode where a couple were all "NAH, RELIGION WILL SAVE OUR CHILD, NOT MEDICAL SCIENCE"

Yeah I could have sworn they just aired this episode.
There's 277 episodes of Family Guy but they seem to air the same 5.

Man, FF15 suffers from "repetitious quotes" syndrome, ESPECIALLY when you're fishing.

"NOCT, THE LINE"
"THINK THE LINE WILL HOLD OUT?"
"IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO RECAST THE LINE"

Its stinkin hot.

I wish some lines come up more than others, like Prompto doing the victory theme or when he goes Noct another one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom