• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
wait, it's considered shonen jump?

the hell? how come it wasn't in j-stars or the other Shonen Jump crossovers?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
rwby has a manga?

A really shitty one.
Despite running in a monthly magazine (same one as Jojo in fact), chapters are way too short.
You know how Bleach had less and less backgrounds as time went on? Leading to the "Bleach has no backgrounds meme"? RWBY manga has even less. Sometimes there are panels with literally nothing but white.

A really shitty one.
Despite running in a monthly magazine (same one as Jojo in fact), chapters are way too short.
You know how Bleach had less and less backgrounds as time went on? Leading to the "Bleach has no backgrounds meme"? RWBY manga has even less. Sometimes there are panels with literally nothing but white.

My only enjoyment is finding these completely blank panels and posting them here and on gamefaqs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You know what astounds me?

We didn't get either Dragon Ball Z movie, but it seems we did freakin' season marathons at our theater for RWBY.

BatDan

Here's another cool bit in Sono Chi no Sadame that I'm surprised Mother's Basement didn't mention in his analysis. It's spoilery but what it covers won't happen for a looooong time (in the anime that is)

When the camera focuses on Jonathan's eyes, they light on fire, but they briefly turn into a black flame. This references the dark determination of his counterpart Johnny Joestar in Steel Ball Run.

Sounds like they should drop RWBY and localize Jojo volumes faster.

Either that or showcase more deserving Jump series like Haikyu, Kimetsu no Yaiba or hell Samon the Summoner.
I'd say Gintama, but that ship sailed long ago, and it's in endgame so it'd be pointless.

Chase17

Yeah its pretty garbage. Wasting a Viz WSJ slot right now.

A really shitty one.

Sounds like I'm not missing out on anything then.

As I approach getting caught up on one piece (still a ways to go), I'm tempted to get the viz WSJ. But there are only two series I'm interested in on it (the other being mha). I guess it's not bad for a dollar an issue though.

BatDan

The jokes don't work in English, it's too punny and it doesn't translate

Don't forget references that the average Toonami viewer won't get.

Sure they air Jojo and HxH, but will they understand ageless Araki and hiatus jokes?

EDIT: Oh and nobody is going to get why To-Love-Ru is "super interesting"

Don't forget references that the average Toonami viewer won't get.

Sure they air Jojo and HxH, but will they understand ageless Araki and hiatus jokes?
tumblr_na5o2eCZsm1sycuvlo1_500.gif

Ponn

Banned
I'm positive i'm lttp on this but I just checked when Christmas was this year and realized Toonami is actually Christmas Eve this year, thats pretty cool.

So we're 31 episodes into Hunter X Hunter. I think that's roughly 1/5 of the way through it.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'm not really feeling it. It has dodged a lot of the problems associated with the Shonen/Seinen genres, but I struggle to think of anything it does particularly well. I wouldn't consider the world particularly interesting. The characters are fine, but just fine. I don't fine the relationship between Gon and Killua interesting. (TBH, I sometimes can't remember what Killua's name is.) There hasn't been much in terms of action so far that I would consider noteworthy. It's not awful, I'm just struggling to think of why people adore it.

Moaradin

So we're 31 episodes into Hunter X Hunter. I think that's roughly 1/5 of the way through it.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'm not really feeling it. It has dodged a lot of the problems associated with the Shonen/Seinen genres, but I struggle to think of anything it does particularly well. I wouldn't consider the world particularly interesting. The characters are fine, but just fine. I don't fine the relationship between Gon and Killua interesting. (TBH, I sometimes can't remember what Killua's name is.) There hasn't been much in terms of action so far that I would consider noteworthy. It's not awful, I'm just struggling to think of why people adore it.

You'll see why in the coming weeks/months.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's still in the construction phase, once everything has been established Togashi proceeds to go nuts. People don't like it for this section of the series, they love it for everything that comes after.

BatDan

It's still in the construction phase, once everything has been established Togashi proceeds to go nuts. People don't like it for this section of the series, they love it for everything that comes after.

Yeah this. It actually took me a couple times to get through the manga. Got bored of the Hunter Exam and the beginning of the arena. Once I powered my way through and got to Yorknew, I couldn't stop.

You'll see why in the coming weeks/months.

Yeah this. It actually took me a couple times to get through the manga. Got bored of the Hunter Exam and the beginning of the arena. Once I powered my way through and got to Yorknew, I couldn't stop.

I see, so it's a slow burn huh? I have heard the show picks up considerably in the second half, so I'm definitely not gonna drop it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I see, so it's a slow burn huh? I have heard the show picks up considerably in the second half, so I'm definitely not gonna drop it.

Pretty much, stick with it for at least the next arc. If we get to the end of the next arc and you still don't like it then it might not be for you (though each of the three main arcs are generally different enough that if you don't like one you might like another).

You're still watching the baby steps of the show. HxH is pretty much nothing but constant world building in my opinion. None of the top tier fights have even happened yet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You're still watching the baby steps of the show. HxH is pretty much nothing but constant world building in my opinion. None of the top tier fights have even happened yet.

Hell, one of the most hyped fights in the series only just happened in the manga. And it was fucking crazy, but compared to what's coming it might not look like shit.

TOGASHI PLEASE COME BACK FROM HIATUS SOON!

Hell, one of the most hyped fights in the series only just happened in the manga. And it was fucking crazy, but compared to what's coming it might not look like shit.

TOGASHI PLEASE COME BACK FROM HIATUS SOON!
Not to mention the aftermath of that fight, dude was fucking pissed...should've been dead, but Togashi gonna Togashi.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not to mention the aftermath of that fight, dude was fucking pissed...should've been dead, but Togashi gonna Togashi.

The the fact it looks like it's about to go down where it is, oh man dude. Oh man. When he gets around to it, that shit is going to be hype.

The the fact it looks like it's about to go down where it is, oh man dude. Oh man. When he gets around to it, that shit is going to be hype.
Did anything important even happen after that fight? I pretty much took a break afterwards cause I didn' want to finish the new material too damn fast without knowing when the man is going to sit down and write more stuff.

Moaradin

The next few episodes of HxH after the marathons are great, so we don't even need to wait that long. Then the show kicks it into high gear.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Did anything important even happen after that fight? I pretty much took a break afterwards cause I didn' want to finish the new material too damn fast without knowing when the man is going to sit down and write more stuff.

It's a set up for the next major arc, which looks to be fucking insane. You should read it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Shit I think we're only a few episodes away from the one that sold me on HxH. You'll know it when you see ti too because you're going to be fucking breathless after a certain sequence. I was not a fan of HxH at first to paint it that way. That episode was like,"Woah where the fuck did this come from?"

Did anything important even happen after that fight? I pretty much took a break afterwards cause I didn' want to finish the new material too damn fast without knowing when the man is going to shit down and write more stuff.

Pfffffffffff-

Kanzenshuu was able to get a higher quality image of the DBS arc reveal:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2016/12/1...-storyline-revealed-as-universe-survival-arc/

Wonder if were gonna have flashbacks of Android 17 as a park ranger? its little known what he has been doing to anyone outside of the fanbase.

I just had an epiphany today. I think I've finally figured out one of the reasons I hate Mikazuki so much.

It's because his behavior remains me so much of Optimus Prime from the fucking Michael Bay Transformers movies. Specifically, that scene where he killed Megatron after Megatron saved his life and that scene where Sentinel Prime, his old master, begged for his life at the end of the third one and Optimus blew his fucking head off.

Of course, it's not even close to being the same scenario and it may or may not be a fair comparison in the slightest. Hell, I only saw clips from the third Transformers and got the rest of what I know from reviews (because fuck actually watching the whole thing) but that kind of brutal, "Don't Give a Fuck", stone cold, robotic hero type personality never stuck with me. I really hate that shit.

I think that might be it. I don't think I'm the kind of person who can get into those kinds of hero characters unless they're funny.

Expecting to catch a little heat for this but the epiphany was too strong to hold back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom