• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
IGPX isn't even "bad", it was just really.............okay. It certainly didn't help late at night, that was a show that would help you drift to sleep, even during the races. I don't recall it ever invoking anger, it was just very middle of the road with low energy outside of the races.

My list (Missing several shows because I showed up pretty late, two of them are shows I watched on my own):

1. FMA: Brotherhood
  2. Space Dandy
  3. Gurren Laggan
  4. Soul Eater
  5. KLK
  6. Samurai Champloo
  7. Parasyte / AoT
  8. M&H
  9. The entirety of SAO
  10. AgK
  11. Dimension W
  12. Inuyasha Final Act*

*I tried watching this, but I didn't watch the original series so I was crazy confused. It technically shouldn't be here, but I recall asking in thread "Can someone recap for me" multiple times, before giving up.

Soulflarz

Banned
Wait why is SAO2 higher than SAO-

Oh right, the 6 or so episodes of Mother's Rosario made up for the other 17.

Everything else seems fine I guess? I haven't seen most of these shows. And apparently I've been confusing GXP with IGPX this whole time.

Like I assumed the "worst anime on the block" was IGPX and I had no idea GXP was a thing.

fwiw I think SAO2 is better written
it's trash but
it's not sao 1-2 or sao 1s premise- even if it still makes no damn sense.

Mizerman

IGPX isn't even "bad", it was just really.............okay. It certainly didn't help late at night, that was a show that would help you drift to sleep, even during the races. I don't recall it ever invoking anger, it was just very middle of the road with low energy outside of the races.

Yep. It was inoffensive for the most part. Boring at best.

Seda

One Punch Man is officially in the rerun slot starting Oct 15 (not including tonight's double up thing)

surprise

Also, tonight's DBZ should have new opening vocals, maybe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
  1. FLCL
  2. Cowboy Bebop
  3. Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
  4. Eureka Seven
  5. Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig
  6. Inuyasha
  7. Michiko and Hatchin
  8. Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood
  9. Naruto
  10. Black Lagoon
  11. Space Dandy
  12. Inuyasha: The Final Act
  13. Big O Season II
  14. Casshern Sins
  15. Bleach
  16. Gurren Laggan
  17. Kill La Kill
  18. Hellsing Ultimate
  19. Soul Eater
  20. Attack on Titan
  21. Deadman Wonderland
  22. Sword Art Online
  23. Sword Art Online II
  24. Blue Exorcist
  25. Samurai Champloo
  26. Parasyte
  27. IGPX
  28. Star Wars The Clone Wars
  29. Samurai Jack
  30. Samurai 7
  31. Dimension W
  32. Symbionic Titan
  33. Akame Ga Kill!
  34. Beware the Batman
  35. Tenchi Muyo GXP
  36. Thundercats

1-5: Must watch.
6-11: Really great shows.
12-20: Pretty damn good shows, would not mind a repeat of. The only one in here that deserves a note is that Bleach basically begins with a 60 episode run that would put it in the 1-5 range but then there's another 300 episodes.
21-30: Nothing wrong with any of these. Good normal shows.
31: Boring.
32: One great episode, a bunch of boring ones. Looked like it was going somewhere but never did.
33. Really not good show. Horrible dub that wouldn't have been liked even at the peak ADV dub everything phase, completely ridiculous for a 2015 release.
34. Awful show. The worst Batman series by a mile. Makes The Batman look amazing by comparison.
35. Horrible production. A failure on almost every single level. A disgrace to a franchise that has already suffered decades of decline. Ugly. Lifeless acting. Dumb story. Lame comedy that almost never hits. Boring.
36. This gets a special nod by being absolutely full of wasted potential. The first episode movie is really good, the rest of the series is a trash fire.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Can it hurry up & be midnight already, I want a reminder of why weekends are enjoyable.

Also holy crap, Jojo & One Punch Man on the same block at the same time, best schedule Toonami has had in a while.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
When DBZ Kai finishes it would probably be Number Six on that list.
If I slotted in One Piece it would be in the top five somewhere, I love that show.
HxH would be top ten for sure.
One Punch would be low twenties/high teens, it's a really solid show. IBO high twenties.
Naruto Shippuden would be mid twenties.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have internet in my new apartment! Hooray!
Huzzah, & just in time!

Getting internet for my apartment was made even better by the fact I was upgrading from maybe 3-5mbps on a good day to 50-60mbps via Charter. Felt sooooo good.

Jarate

Banned
So we had a big family gathering, and my cousins triplets came over and I was taking care of them throughout the day

Let me tell you, taking care of 3 young boys was one of the most exhausting things of my life

Seda

I caught up on the shows I missed last week.

DBZ: It's DBZ.

One Punch Man: The 'OK' was more amusing than I thought it would be despite seeing it everywhere. Not much really happened in this episode, but worked well enough as a penultimate build up to the finale.

Gundam: I feel like, on the micro- level, some (not all) of these scenes work. I think I get what they were going for regarding Kudelia, etc,but, on a macro-scale these events are not well constructed or put together. There are too many coincidences or misconceptions that place our characters in these settings in the first place. Like, I don't think I can point at any particular main protagonist's motivation as flawed or unbelievable; most are acting pretty rationally in my opinion. But the larger vehicle driving these events forward is not convincing. The colonist rebellion was sloppily put together through the events of "a proxy" to the point that somehow apparently nobody realized they were arming colonists before it was too late, not recognizing Kudelia earlier but another recognizing her later (basically when and where the plot required her to be recognized or not recognized). This ties into the relationship between Biscuit and his brother, which is undermined by a really hard-to-believe plot point.This conflict between Gjallerhorn and colonists has had little context up to this point. I actually kinda laughed when the audio faded as soon as the rebels started announcing their demands as if it was some sort of literal hand-wave by the writers. Finally, Fumitan has basically had no built up sympathy so all events involving her are not really hitting. The flashbacks between her and Kudelia were not totally worthless, but too stereotypical to be fully compelling. And that she literally wandered into the focal point of this rebellion is a bit facepalm-worthy.

Hunter X Hunter: Kind of a boring episode. I will say the characterizations of the main protagonists up to this point has been done well enough that it was pretty easy to foresee most everything Gon says or does in the episode. Having a guided tour of Assassins' Land felt tongue-in-cheek about how this series represents death so casually, but I'm not sure it was meant to be. I dunno, not much to say here.

Naruto: Mostly just a set up episode. I think the plot established around this Jiraiya set of episodes probably didn't need to come about so rapidly, but it's still probably better done than most other events in this show.

One Piece: I felt the voice acting was especially strong in this episode, especially Brina. Not the most interesting episode, but, uh, good enough.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hunter X Hunter: Kind of a boring episode. I will say the characterizations of the main protagonists up to this point has been done well enough that it was pretty easy to foresee most everything Gon says or does in the episode. Having a guided tour of Assassins' Land felt tongue-in-cheek about how this series represents death so casually, but I'm not sure it was meant to be. I dunno, not much to say here.

yHc035p.gif

eecqHKv.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One Punch Man is officially in the rerun slot starting Oct 15 (not including tonight's double up thing)
You guys didn't know this? That schedule has been accessible for a week or two now (as was the 22nd's to further confirm).

Tonight on Toonami, Goku cuts loose against Cell in a pitched battle for the fate of the Earth, Saitama goes punch for punch with the Dominator of the Universe Boros in One-Punch Man's action-packed finale, the Workers' uprising becomes increasingly violent while Kudelia steels her resolve to defend the colonies in addition to Mars, Gon and friends have managed to set foot on the Zoldyck's property but they're not going to get anywhere near Killua until they're at least strong enough to pass the Testing Gate on their own, Pain confronts Jiraiya and reveals the ultimate intentions of the Akatsuki, Oars finally submits to Moriah's will and he's ready to call out Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirates, and then finally it's an encore of One-Punch Man's epic season finale because once isn't enough.

12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 89 - Battle at the Highest Level! Goku Goes All Out!
12:30 - One-Punch Man - 12 - The Strongest Hero - END
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 17 - Kudelia's Decision
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 23 - The × Guard's × Duty
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 130 - The Man Who Became God
2:30 - One Piece - 364 - Oars Roars! Come Out, Straw Hat Crew
3:00 - One-Punch Man - 12 - The Strongest Hero - END

Seda

You guys didn't know this? That schedule has been accessible for a week or two now (as was the 22nd's to further confirm).

I hadn't checked in a while! Figured to bring it up even though it was obvious and LTTP because I hadn't seen it mentioned.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I haven't quite decided on yet is how to list JoJo in the schedule. I could just use the show's official title:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Or I could use the official English title:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation

Or I could list it as parts:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Part 1: Phantom Blood
or
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood

Any thoughts?

Top tier shows
1) Cowboy Bebop
2) Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood
3) FLCL
4) Gurren Laggab
5) Space Dandy

Very strong/solid shows
6) Kill La Kill
7) Hellsing Ultimate
8) Black Lagoon
9) Soul Eater
10) Attack on Titan
11)Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
12)Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig 13) Inuyasha
14) Samurai Jack
15) Parasyte

Decently Enjoyable
16) Deadman Wonderland
17) Big O S2
18) Naruto
19) Bleach
20) Star Wars The Clone Wars

Hilariously dumb/entertaining
21) Akame ga kill
22) Sao 2
23) Blue Exorcist
24) Sao 1

Disappointing waste of potential
25) Inuyasha: The Final Act
26) Dimension w
27) Michiko and Hatchin
28) Symbiotic Titan
29) IGPX

Turrible/boring
30) Tenchi Muyo GXP
31) Beware the Batman

Never watched enough to judge/finished
Eureka Seven
Thundercats
Casshern Sins
Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo

Also I know its not technically done but I'd rank OPM below SAO 1 and above Final Act in its own "pretty to look at but does nothing for me" tier

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Everyone had strong suspicions that it would be (especially when hearing the finale would get the rerun slot for the night, but it seems now it's official. I actually tried seeing on my charter cable or AS' site if I could look ahead, but didn't find anything.

One thing I haven't quite decided on yet is how to list JoJo in the schedule.
Well, if you say Part 1, then start using Part 2, might be slightly confusing when you say "Part 2 - 10 - *episode name*" since it's technically episode 1 of Part 2, but the 10th episode of "The Animation", which is S1 of Jojo.

But I guess for some people, it might be helpful to know which part we're on, i.e. when Part 2 starts. Maybe for this season, "The Animation" would be fine, then just point out when Part 2 starts, then when we get Part 3, call it "Stardust Crusaders" since that's what the official name of the anime is considered.

Edit: Or do both & say "The Animation (Part #)" for this season.

Mizerman

One thing I haven't quite decided on yet is how to list JoJo in the schedule. I could just use the show's official title:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Or I could use the official English title:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation

Or I could list it as parts:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Part 1: Phantom Blood
or
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood

Any thoughts?

I'd go with listing them as parts so it would be easier on some people.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Actually, now that I think about it, the logo that Toonami used for the promo had "The Animation", so I guess use that for consistency, but maybe still put "END OF PART 1" & "START OF PART 2" since it seems Toonami will air a new promo for Part 2, considering the promo now only shows Part 1.

Then when Part 3 airs, put "JJBA: Stardust Crusaders" since they'll most likely use that logo/call it that.

Seda

It probably doesn't matter too much, but I think the best way to go about it is:

On most episodes:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation - # - Title

But on Episode 1, go with
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation - # - Title - START OF PART 1: Phantom Blood

On Episode 9
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation - # - Title - END OF PART 1: Phantom Blood

On Episode 10
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation - # - Title - START OF PART 2: Battle Tendency

On Episode 26
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation - # - Title - END OF PART 2: Battle Tendency

etc. Basically adding in highlighted Starts and Ends like usual - only mid series.

Something like that.

No problems with the list from me.

"Dimension W-hat the Fuck is Happening" was almost literally painfully boring. Like my heart felt like it was dying every second I wasn't making fun of it on the boards.

I'm still astonished that one part where the one villain starts playing his own background music to the fight going on isn't talked about more.

Seda

For what it's worth, Adult Swim's own schedule uses simply "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure."

Your call if you include "The Animation" in your schedule write-ups. It kinda works as a distinction versus the other seasons, but then again so does the subtitle's absence.

How are the pre-flights?

They are actually only somewhat loosely Toonami-related. It's essentially a video podcast of Jason DeMarco and Gill Austin (two longtime CN/AS/Toonami employees) talking their opinions on various shows, genres, movies, comics, etc. This week's topic was apparently "shows involving Witches" (Witch Hunter Robin which aired on Adult Swim Action, some other live-action Witch movies, Kiki's Delivery Service). At the end they throw in whatever special commercials they're going to air the next night - this week it's a game review for "Inside". Only like 45 minutes long (compared to common multi-hour podcasts) so sometimes I listen-watch to kill time if I'm working on something.

Is there a fight starting in Naruto tonight?

I can't remember.

Barely, the majority of that is next week.

Samurai Jack soon*

*maybe not so soon

I know, making any animated product is intense challenging work.

But I'm kinda bothered by how quiet they are about Samurai Jack. I get they don't want to give the thrust of the narrative away, but I feel like they've been really quiet on it.

Seda

I know, making any animated product is intense challenging work.

But I'm kinda bothered by how quiet they are about Samurai Jack. I get they don't want to give the thrust of the narrative away, but I feel like they've been really quiet on it.

They talked about it at one of the summer cons. But that was more than two months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom