• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Hope y'all enjoyed your Christmas with those three promos. I don't remember which one is going to get the full promo treatment for New Year's though.

Regiruler

tumblr_mye7qafq9x1so0ukuo1_500.gif
But... the hat...

Grexeno

Reposting for a new page:

Nominations are now open for the 2016 ToonamiGAF Awards!

Yes, another year has passed, which means it's about time for 5 people to engage in mortal combat over a set of categories to determine the best and worst of Toonami in 2016!

Nominations are being accepted for the following categories:

Worst Moment
Best Moment
Best Fight
Best Villian
Worst Character
Best Character
Biggest Disappointment
Best Surprise
Most Wanted New Show
Best Performance by a Voice Actor
Best Performance by a Voice Actress

All shows which aired new episodes this year are eligible. For shows which began before this year and aired new episodes this year, only those episodes that aired this year are eligible (please refer to MetatronM's post from the beginning of the year.

You may make up to 3 nominations for each category.

Feel free to post your nominations in the thread, but please also PM them to me, or I cannot guarantee your nominations will be accepted.

Nominations will close at midnight on January 6th!

So, it dawned on recently that I've never played a good Gundam game. I'm sure there out there, but I've only played two.

Mobile_Suit_Gundam_-_Zeonic_Front_Coverart.png
250px-Gundamcrossfire_cover.jpg

Both of these games are bad. Zeonic Front has Gundam stealth levels.

GUNDAM STEALTH LEVELS!!!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Thanks, UPS, for making me waste about a good hour trying to find where the hell my package is only to find out "nah, check back tomorrow" after heading halfway into town to the location written on the slip, then telling me to go to the other end, because they don't seem to have it, to find out the UPS warehouse is closed, then going back to the side of town I live on to see what the UPS store says & discovering that "next business day" was NOT the next business day.

Why couldn't you have just left the damn package at the office like Fedex or USPS instead of making me wait FOUR DAYS on an already delayed package.

Worst Moment
Dimension W - Whenever the writers just fucking gave up on any semblance of pacing
Gundam IBO - Pretty much everything with Akihiro's brother
Naruto Shippuden - The Froggy Song (this was 2016 right)

Best Moment
Gundam IBO - McGillis tells Gaelio his plan before killing him
Samurai Champloo - The episode where Jin rescues that prostitute lady
Samurai Champloo - Mugen's near-death experience

Best Fight
Dragon Ball Z - Krillin vs. Cell
One-Punch Man - Saitama vs. Genos
Parasyte - Parasite vs. cops

Best Villian
Gundam IBO - McGillis Fareed
Hunter x Hunter - Hisoka
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Dio

Worst Character
Gundam IBO - Kudelia
Gundam IBO - Ein
One-Punch Man - Puri Puri Prisoner

honorable mention to Mira who I would've put here if I wasn't concerned no one is going to shit on any of these other characters the way they deserve

Best Character
Dragon Ball Z Kai - Piccolo
Hunter x Hunter - Killua
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Dio

Biggest Disappointment
Gundam IBO not actually being One of the Good Gundam Shows at fucking all
Running Ghost in the Shell instead of Space Dandy season 2 for once
Sasuke vs. Itachi

honorable mention to the hype that led me to believe Samurai Champloo was something other than like a 7 or 8 to Cowboy Bebop's 10/10

Best Surprise
Dragon Ball Super because it kinda seems like Toei and/or Funimation were actually just fucking crazy enough to wait for Toonami to be finished with Kai?
Intruder 3 was a bigger change than I expected I guess
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Most Wanted New Show
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Lupin III Part 4
Mob Psycho 100

shout-out to Tokyo Ghoul for being the show I'm most concerned we'll get

Best Performance by a Voice Actor
David Lodge as Jiraiya (in those 2 or 3 episodes where they gave him actual material)
Andrew Love as that serial killer in Parasyte
Patrick Seitz as Dio

Best Performance by a Voice Actress
Luci Christian as Nami
Erica Mendez as Gon
Cristina Vee as Killua

(not a lot of good spotlights for women this year it seems)

Regiruler

McGill getting nominations for best villain is a little surprising, but I don't disagree with it. The last two episodes of IBO were great for his character.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
anybody got a link to the promos that aired saturday?

I wasn't watching because I usually don't watch on rerun marathons

McGill getting nominations for best villain is a little surprising, but I don't disagree with it. The last two episodes of IBO were great for his character.

I thought it was hilarious and awesome, but I think part of it is also there not being that many strong villains to point to this year? Like, there's Dio and Hisoka obviously, but I think a lot of people were pretty disillusioned with how well the Cell arc actually held up, and nobody seems to feel very strongly about any Naruto villains. That basically leaves McGillis and somebody in One Piece since One-Punch Man and (to a lesser extent) Parasyte don't really have these ever-present villains. Some of my picks are just helping to fill out the final nomination list and I was pretty much at a loss for who else there actually was for Best Villain (and a few other categories like Best Voice Actress).

cntr

Banned
As an Gundam fan, I thought IBO S1 was satisfactory. Not because it was a great season, but because the bad bits are just boring. It's not something like 00 or SEED, where the bad bits are offensively bad and ruin the entire show.

IBO's bad bits are not show-ruining or even important, and that makes it better than most Gundams out there.

I think I've said this somewhere but I actually prefer Gundam Seed to IBO because I think Seed is overall more successful at what it sets out to do.

What it sets out to do is just whiny teen angst in the worst way, yeah, but IBO is actually trying to explore serious themes and serious topics and it really thinks its characters are profound and it is a fucking failure at all of these things. The only enjoyment I actually get out of it is when its muddled world-building and political maneuvering comes to a head with McGillis and when it had that one really good episode around episode 4 or so. IBO tried real fucking hard to dress itself up beyond "hey what if our Gundam protagonist was one of these 'all according to plan' guys" but none of the way it's been dressed up works and that just leaves its core concept to suffer because it's boring and trite without any truly crazy shit to fall back on, which is a real problem when they seem to intentionally sideline the actual Gundam fights and real robot stuff in service of the characters and the themes and whatever.

cntr

Banned
Oh, I just watch Gundam for robot fights and memes, so I guess I'm used to ignoring the politics and bad philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom