• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

giphy.gif

Stay gold, Carrie.

Bang.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
New nominations for Worst Moment
- No, seriously, just 2016 at this point, I can't recall a year that's been more hated by people

This is still probably the hardest I've ever seen an anime try to get random ass and boob shots in the same scene. They aren't even being subtle about it.

It's the A-1 Pictures way.

So since I'm on vacation this week I've been binging on some anime I've never watched before.

Madoka Magica was really good. Like, I feel like not to be an anime hipster, but it was really really good.

Magi : Labyrinth of Magic was disappointing. I was hooked by the premise but hated the direction the series ultimately ended up going.

Seven Deadly Sins is garbage. Melodias is probably one of the most boring anime protagonists I've ever seen. Dude got some nasty Kirito-syndrome of being too OP, and to add insult to injury, they try to play off his being a sexual harasser as some type of character quirk. Fuck that noise. Most of the other characters aren't much better. They feel like discount versions of better written characters from other shonen series.

Chase17

It's the A-1 Pictures way.

So since I'm on vacation this week I've been binging on some anime I've never watched before.

Madoka Magica was really good. Like, I feel like not to be an anime hipster, but it was really really good.

Magi : Labyrinth of Magic was disappointing. I was hooked by the premise but hated the direction the series ultimately ended up going.

Seven Deadly Sins is garbage. Melodias is probably one of the most boring anime protagonists I've ever seen. Dude got some nasty Kirito-syndrome of being too OP, and to add insult to injury, they try to play off his being a sexual harasser as some type of character quirk. Fuck that noise. Most of the other characters aren't much better. They feel like discount versions of better written characters from other shonen series.
I thought 7 sins was decent enough (sawano the legend). I agree with you though, the melodias/Elizabeth relationship is so frustrating/creepy that it sort of kills the show for me.

Been bored lately so I've been watching random Naruto episodes on Crunchyroll. I'm enjoying it a little more subbed just because of subtitles. I sometimes struggle watching it on Toonami because of how Japanese everything is named. When multiple characters are being named in a row I sometimes struggle following what's going on. It's partly why I got into One Piece first because nearly every character and attack has simple names and it's easier for me to follow.

cntr

Banned
I wonder if one of the reasons My Hero Academia got big was because you didn't need to remember anybody's names. People used names like "Gravity Girl", "Explosion Guy", or "Icy Hot" constantly for the first year it was out

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I actually rather enjoyed Seven Deadly Sins. I think it's art was very nice overall (there's a unique bend to it's style and attention to detail that seems refreshing, and the design variety is very high), and I felt like it played the idea of "Evil" characters as good guys very well.

About Meliodas and Elizabeth... it's very City Hunter-like. The guy is a sexual deviant to an exaggerated "you can't be serious about any of this!" degree, but somehow it's endearing and understood by his targets, to the point where they apologize to HIM for misunderstandings!

It makes no sense whatsoever on a surface real-world level, but I think both shows play with it as a "deeper meaning" thing. For Meliodas, it's obvious
that eLIZabeth is a reincarnation of his former lover LIZ, so he's basically making up for lost 1000s of years with a woman who loves him so much, she's reincarnated and got close to him again.
, and for Ryo in CH,
the show goes on and on about how many evil people have these uncontrollable instincts to kill and do evil, which Ryo should give into every time he has a chance to kill. He should basically be the best, cruelest killer in his world. But he shifts his deviancy to invasive perversions, rather than murdering anyone who gets in his way.
. It's a common kind of way for 80s / 90s anime to balance extreme blatant violence, skill, and power levels with extreme blatant fanservice-enabling males. Minus those incidents, the shows generally stay serious when needed, and keep that kind of stuff out of the real action and serious scenes.

Beyond that, the characters reminded me of a mix of fun twist on my expectations... and FMA characters. Gowther is a much better male that tries to play the visual part of a female design for me than Kurapikam and the cold, automaton-like way he looks at life and situations constantly had me on edge. Diane looks like the most menacing, strong one of the group... and could be, but she's actually childish by her clans ages; innocent, but not to the point where she won't be serious when need be. I rather loved how FMA's Greed Ban really embraced his immortality by getting blown to bits in the most horrific of ways. It's something I feel like most shows are too reserved with. He uses it as a defensive tool to help and protect others, or just to have his over-powered friends vent their frustrations in a way that would kill entire cities otherwise.

I really liked their use of the characters long lives as something more than showing us how immortality is full of loss (as Highlander would.) The characters moved on, and got to see the results of their old friendships, and of the kids born from people who they stood by all their lives, etc.

If they moped on something painful, it was for DECADES, or even centuries; the act of a being that understands they have all the time in the world to do things as they wish. A hundred or more year misunderstanding and mistakes turned into legends that all around had heard, while the participants were still alive to hear their own tales spun into such things, and react to being actual living legends.

I felt like it fully accepted how "grey" everyone in the show should be too, rather than trying to show me a young boy brutally kill off people one episode, and then pretend they're cute and innocent shonen heroes the next. EVERYONE was some degree of screwed up, on both sides, and the characters in the show seemed to all *get* that. And they did a good job explaining WHY I should be Sympathetic to people I might of otherwise hated. I actually got why Guila, Gilthunder, and Helbram did what they did in the end, for example.

I also don't think Meliodas is Kirito-level OP.
It's clear he could have died multiple times, but Liz's tears are subtly illustrated to have a healing power that very few know exist. She even saved her sister Veronica from death, unknowingly.
Every one of these legendary outlaws (and enemies with Demon Blood) basically has insane levels of power, which is amplified by their personal weapons, too.

I actually thought all the side battles were equally interesting to the main conflicts, too. I was satisfied with each characters showing of power and chosen opponents towards then end, rather than mumbling, say "Usopp got this cool new power up, but he never does anything with it!" or "why does Robin always feel like she's just window dressing?" Our main hero might be strong, be he can't rend earth like Diane, he doesn't have revival ability anyway near the power of Ban's, he can't invade dreams and thoughts like Gowther... he actually has a "trump card" acute enough (With his Revenge Counter) to where you can see WHY he needs a group, and can't just beat everything on his own. Even with his broken demon power-up, almost any of the main characters could probably kill him if they had to, with a bit of strategy.

In retrospect, I probably enjoyed it more than most of our Toonami Shonen shows. Probably enjoyed it more than Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate too (save for Crispin Freeman's "deliciously evil" way of playing EdgyTheStampedepire). It really reminded me a lot of FMA, with an even heavier twist on classic Swords and Sorcery fantasy settings.

Magi and 7 deadly sins suffer from anime that condense and skip stuff fwiw and don't adapt parts of the story that better explain elements you found frustrating in the first part.

Moaradin

Seven Deadly Sins is a basic ass shonen but I found it enjoyable in a turn your brain of kinda way. It's not my favorite by any means but I enjoyed it for what it is.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Magi and 7 deadly sins suffer from anime that condense and skip stuff fwiw and don't adapt parts of the story that better explain elements you found frustrating in the first part.

I actually think it worked well for Sins (haven't seen Magi) since basically every main character was getting back an old ability, weapon, or power.

Like I often dislike how "training" seems to not exist in One Piece. Minus the big time skip, it seems like new Tech just HAPPENS out of nowhere. This is especially weird when the anime has arcs that fill in unknown gaps... and they don't assist in explaining anything.

Seven Deadly Sins is a basic ass shonen but I found it enjoyable in a turn your brain of kinda way. It's not my favorite by any means but I enjoyed it for what it is.

Hmm, I dunno. Just on cast, characterization, and events, I'd probably see One Piece, HxH, and Naruto as more "basic", just because so much of what happens in them, and with their characters is so reliable, you could set a watch by it. I was thinking less about shonen, and more about RPG parties with 7DS.

I saw a bit of seven deadly sins in our anime club and I lost interest when the child protag groped the damsel awake

Thankfully, he's not really a child, but a thousands year old cursed...Dragon?! But yeah, anime in generally just bounces through extremes... I KINDA prefer the open pervert (in anime) more than the "obviously has no interest in the opposite sex at ALL!" type though, because that variety seems much more prevalent and frustrating. And inconsistent with the designs artist push out.

It always makes me wonder how the Voice Actresses feel about such roles, though, on both sides of the world. Especially when you have 30~50+ yr old women playing the role of a young girl in an uncomfortable situation.

Seven Deadly Sins does have a lot of interesting things, particularly involving the long lives of the characters, and I actually really like how each Deadly Sin is more OP than the last. There are great moments like that part where Meliodas catches that spear and throws it back. The only real downside is, indeed, Meliodas' awkward relationship with Elizabeth.

Also, though he probably is meant to be an ageless child, the way everyone interacted with Meliodas just made me view him as a short adult.

I have no idea if 7 deadly sins will ever adapt the part of the manga that basically explains Meliodas personality and relationship with Liz and Elizabeth but it made me like his character a lot more.

cntr

Banned
Mind that Season 1 has really bad pacing, and covers the set-up arcs. You won't get to the really good bits that made the series great until Season 2.

edit: Season 1 covers only 22 chapters, so I'd recommend rereading from Chapter 1 if you're okay with it! The better artwork and pacing makes it worth it.

Raxus

Mind that Season 1 has really bad pacing, and covers the set-up arcs. You won't get to the really good bits that made the series great until Season 2.

I still think it is overall solid thanks to the set up and writing of the series. I am a biased superhero fanboy though. A 26 episode season would have done wonders for it but I guess they want to let the manga keep up.

As it is Season 2 is going to be packed.

cntr

Banned
I still think it is overall solid thanks to the set up and writing of the series. I am a biased superhero fanboy though. A 26 episode season would have done wonders for it but I guess they want to let the manga keep up.

Yeah. I'm just bitter lol

People had a lot of complaints about season 1, literally none of which would've been an issue if they covered more arcs and had better pacing.

Read the manga when it ends. It really takes off where the anime left off.

Artwork is stellar too and often the anime doesn't do it justice.

edit: Season 1 covers only 22 chapters, so I'd recommend rereading from Chapter 1 if you're okay with it! The better artwork and pacing makes it worth it.

Looking forward to reading the manga afterwards. The pacing of the anime is mostly fine except for flashbacks that feel like padding.

Raxus

It really doesn't help when any adaption coming in the next few months has to be compared to DiU. We've been spoiled.
Looking forward to reading the manga afterwards. The pacing of the anime is mostly fine except for flashbacks that feel like padding.
You'd be 100% correct. There really isn't that many flashbacks in the manga.

Chase17

How much are people expecting the next season of Mha to cover? I've been catching up with the series (on chapter sixty something) and there's a certain part I'd love to see this upcoming year.

Thinking about it, it probably won't make it.

Raxus

Season 2 will cover
the Stain arc, and probably end there.

Promo images on top of the end teaser seem to suggest that to be the case.

In fact many were hoping season 1 would be 26 episodes and cover up to that point since it has a natural stopping point at the end.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I honestly hope 1 a.m. doesn't become the Gundam slot. If DeMarco wants to air different Gundam shows, that's fine, but constantly back-to-back would get kind of tiresome.

Heck, as much as I want Jojo Parts 3 & 4 to air, I honestly feel like a show inbetween would help give it a break.

We really only have two slots that'll open up this year, right? Jojo & Gundam? Everything else is long running?

cntr

Banned
The ideal for me would be either BT -> MHA S1+2 -> SDC S1 -> [something] -> SDC S2, or BT -> MHA S1 -> SDC S1 -> MHA S2 -> SDC S2.

Probably not happening, though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I don't want the JoJo and Gundam slots to be permanent. Air a couple short 12 episodes series between them please.
MHA & MP100 would be great "break" shows.

Speakin' of Jojo, it would be interesting if they aired Part 3 in its entirety or will do what Japan did & split it up into 2 seasons. Viz still needs to confirm if they're selling Part 3 as a complete "series" or if they're gonna split them into two.

You're going to get Mob Psycho in between Part 2 and Part 3
This is what I want, now I just hope it happens.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not sure where the idea that Toonami is picking up MHA is coming from given that we know which three series are most in line to fill in the gaps in the year ahead. The unfortunate fact of the matter is we are probably going to have to deal with Tokyo Ghoul.

cntr

Banned
MHA is pretty much the ideal Toonami show, it's a heavily Western-influenced battle shounen about superheroes. Maybe they wouldn't get it, but I'd be really surprised if they didn't.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
MHA is pretty much the ideal Toonami show, it's a heavily Western-influenced battle shounen about superheroes. Maybe they wouldn't get it, but I'd be really surprised if they didn't.

I don't discount MHA wholly but given what the Toonami staff want and what the Toonami audience wants collectively it is shockingly just another show right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom