• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzSiOAIocQBbKbH
zlCfzSiPnPIVk5VU5e

zlCfzSiQ0Bk_7hxDBs
zlCfzSiRCaA7BEncPv

zlCfzSiRgx0zWlVN8V
zlCfzSiR3P4_sJPiOL

zlCfzSiSQtANyHdUsp
zlCfzSiSaiEDYwjPEf

zlCfzSiSmLIgQSLcx3
zlCfzSiStcMqsxmjLJ

zlCfzSiS1ZQWMfANg_
zlCfzSiS-VIKakT3ZA

zlCfzSiTGiM6t_0y3R

LATE..ER..

Regiruler

Fuck I fell asleep before the last bit of hellsing.
EDIT: Watched the sub of the bit, was the part after the last commercial just a speech?

BBboy20

What's up ToonamiGAF! Been lurking this thread for a long time, and now my account has been approved just in time for Toonami tomorrow night!
Welcome to the club.

i keep getting Borderlands Pre-Sequel ads on the livestream.

does anybody actually care about this game?
It'll probably be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then Destiny.

That episode was great.

but Simon better level up fucktons as a protag now..

:mad:
That was the end of the prologue.

Wait, 10/14?

OH MY GOD, THAT'S RIGHT, THAT GAME COMES OUT!!!

............Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus! I can't wait to pick up my LE.
The Day of Boobs & Blood.

That was the second episode in a row where my brain was starting to shutdown in the last 6 minutes due to all that Nazi insanity.

So, dramatic walks and stands really normal in One Piece? Because I was feeling the epicness.

When I watched that Lagann episode in 2008, I was actually confused on how his popularity was that high if he only lasted for 8 episodes. 6 years later and watching this scene again, with a recently deceased brother...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone. Once we got past the Viz hump, last night was amazing!
Excellent work SAB. That Kamina...

Attack on Titan
And so the first part of the Female Titan arc ends, but it's not entirely over.
If you haven't figured out who the Female Titan is by now...

Bleach
Renji won?! That's how you can tell Kubo wanted to rush this, when RENJI won. Of course, when you think wearing a motorcycle engine is a power-up... you would lose to the biggest loser.
And Icetard won too...
3 more episodes to go.

Shippuden
NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENED AGAIN! HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?! That was worse than the Super Saiyan 3 episode of original DBZ where Goku spent like 10 minutes powering up. At least that had people all over reacting... (By the way, next week's Kai will be the Super Saiyan 3 episode).
I know I give modern One Piece episodes crap for their pacing (and rightfully so), but even those have more happening.

One Piece
Yeaaaah, shit's about to go down! Well, first we need to hear a backstory. THEN shit's about to down... oh right, recaps. Damn it Toei..

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Holy hell. So that's why people speak so highly of this series. If this is the tone for the rest of the show, then I'm on-fucking-board. RIP Kamina

Hellsing Ultimate
Jeez, that was a draining episode. Not because it was bad, but so much excess. Rip Van Winkle's disturbing death, and the Major's 6 and a half minute speech on how war is amazing. You want to hear it again? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUB9QGKCNmI

Couple notes about the next episode. From Episode V on, Funimation took over (they got the rights from the defunct Geneon). There was a FOUR year wait between IV and V (so imagine that wait after hearing the speech). So to a lot of people, the next episodes are all new.
The good news is that Funimation got all the original actors, so you won't hear J. Michael Tatum as Alucard or Monica Rial as Seras.
Oh and there's no more Hellsing Ultimate Abridged episodes, so Seda doesn't have to worry about people quoting it (I was close to saying "Bitches Love Cannons" when Alucard "stabbed" Rip Van Winkle). Though, they do plan to release Episode V later this month.

Soulflarz

Banned
Im still sad I passed out for a third of hellsing :/
I mean it was everything after she said the Operation should happen and cat dude psuedo dies to the fight with that crazy girls end...

First full toonami I've been able to watch in awhile

Would post more extended thoughts but grr ios8 crashing I lost a bunch and don't feel like retyping.

Good

One Piece
Gurren Lagann
Hellsing Ultimate
FMA:B
Big O S2
Samurai Jack

Okay

Attack On Titan
Bleach
Cowboy Bebop (don't care for Jett episodes)
GitS

DO SOMETHING

Naruto Shippuden

That was really only the start of Gurren Lagann. Now the show starts to have actual characterization, Simon actually does stuff, Yoko becomes a much more important character rather than just being "the one who's a girl," and more stuff happens.

What really bugs me about Gurren Lagann, at least its more vocal "fans," is people not understanding the basic ideas of what's a pretty deliberately dumb, straightforward show. (spoilers for the next few episodes)
Saying Simon grows up to be "just like Kamina." No, he's just hot-blooded. That doesn't mean he's like Kamina, and his character-defining moment is declaring that he isn't and doesn't need to be Kamina. Second, Kamina isn't the main character and is infinitely weaker than Simon. He's brash and mainly a lot of talk, and he knows it. He was there to inspire the team. The characters basically explicitly state their intentions, yet some people will ignore that so they can faun over Kamina and miss the entire point of a show that's silly and fun and not even complicated.

The team that made Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill are also strange because they can and generally do write good female characters. But it's their thing to sexualize them in really over-the-top ways, so even when they're legitimate charactecters, the impression people come away with, or get from an outside perspective, especially when it comes to Yoko, is that they're just "hot animu girl." I wish they would do a series without it, and I know it's one of their trademarks, but it can be detrimental.

Jarate

Banned
That was really only the start of Gurren Lagann. Now the show starts to have actual characterization, Simon actually does stuff, Yoko becomes a much more important character rather than just being "the one who's a girl," and more stuff happens.

What really bugs me about Gurren Lagann, at least its more vocal "fans," is people not understanding the basic ideas of what's a pretty deliberately dumb, straightforward show. (spoilers for the next few episodes)
Saying Simon grows up to be "just like Kamina." No, he's just hot-blooded. That doesn't mean he's like Kamina, and his character-defining moment is declaring that he isn't and doesn't need to be Kamina. Second, Kamina isn't the main character and is infinitely weaker than Simon. He's brash and mainly a lot of talk, and he knows it. He was there to inspire the team. The characters basically explicitly state their intentions, yet some people will ignore that so they can faun over Kamina and miss the entire point of a show that's silly and fun and not even complicated.

The team that made Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill are also strange because they can and generally do write good female characters. But it's their thing to sexualize them in really over-the-top ways, so even when they're legitimate charactecters, the impression people come away with, or get from an outside perspective, especially when it comes to Yoko, is that they're just "hot animu girl." I wish they would do a series without it, and I know it's one of their trademarks, but it can be detrimental.
Yoko is the best waifu of all time though

ckohler

I agree completely.
It's made very clear over the next three episodes that for Simon to mature, he can't emulate Kamina. He must become his own man.

I would go on to say that Kamina is more than simply a Decoy Protagonist, as someone suggested last night.
For the first 8 episodes he was the heart and inspiration for Team Dai-Gurren. Now, he's upgraded to full martyr. So much so, Kamina is mentioned at least once in every single episode of the series!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom