• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 45

So at last we have reached the penultimate episode of the first season of Sailor Moon and indeed one of the most shocking episodes to ever happen in the Magical Girl genre. First, I need to address a few things, this episode makes me understand why Toei is going so far in the opposite direction with the tone and direction of Crystal, maybe too far, but still why they are doing it. This episode was marred and indeed almost ruined by the stupid comedy spots in the beginning of the episode. This is episode that demanded a needed a special weight to it, if you needed to humor it should have been to lighten and otherwise heavy mood and acting like this was a typical episode does it a disservice.
That being said, the episode still does a decent job in underscoring the emotional weight and impact that the death of the Sailor Scouts has. Admittedly it is hard to have that much in the way of emotional resonance these days knowing that they get better but within the context of not only the episode but the time of release this was absolutely emotionally devastating as this show had the chutzpah to kill off its supporting cast. An act that surprised even the mangaka. I do like the added touches of having the loss of the other scouts at first shocking Usagi into so much grief that she almost surrenders because she doesn't know what else to do. That being said, her over-exaggerated personality does oversell the pain at points with at back the resolve. Also, still endlessly amusing at how many of the love interests ended up being emotional dead ends. Seriously, why did that happen.
Anyway, automatic highest recommendations to watch this episode, but the episode quality has been diminished by time, perspective and bad comedy.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 46

Right, so whatever the missteps that past few episodes have had, they have been a solid building to this the ultimate climax of Sailor Moon season 1 and with the full weight of the season behind it I would say this was not only a really excellent handling of the end times but maybe the best episode of Season One to boot. Indeed not only do we get the emotional capstone for Mamoru and Usagi and we reach stakes that are literally world ending. The end fight was pretty epic in spite of a lack of action, but perhaps that is for the best since Sailor Moon fights are pretty shitty on the action. Also, kudos for using the power of good two shoes in ways that do not feel trite or forced, always a problem there, looking at you Harry Potter. Anyway, we end things on a book end that scream that they were not sure they were getting a second season at the time of creation so we can make this a series end but keep it open enough in case a sequel comes along. Anyway, capital episode and of course highest recommendations to watch.

Sailor Moon Series 1 Review:

So to all legends there is a beginning, and this is the beginning of the legend of Sailor Moon both in-universe and to international acclaim. That being said, does it hold up after 20 years? Well, that answer is yes and no, in fact, I can sum up this season with one word and that is uneven. When the series was on point, it could be quite excellent, I think the overall high point was from the end of the Nephrite arc to the beginning of the Kunsite arc, basically the Zoicite arc, and not just because Zoicite was the best villain of season one. The Zoicite arc stands out because the monster of the week format actually enhanced the story since every monster was connected to the overraching plot and there was a sense of progression every episode and you knew what the stakes were at any given point. The worst was undoubtedly the beginning of the series where we had to deal with Usagi and a rookie super hero, having to put up with her ultra grating exaggerated anime personality with nobody to bounce off of was truly teeth grinding and I am shocked it didn't get the series cancelled. Indeed, there are some very rough spots to the first season, some of it was just endemic to the times and the length.

This season alone was 46 episodes, so it had to fill the space in some fashion and had to draw out characterizations and plots and all that jazz. Some errors are more inexcusable, like how they screwed up some of the characters, I had not released how badly botched Minako is in this version, but I can tell you she is a hell of a lot more interested in the manga and hopefully Crystal then she was here. The unevenness of Sailor Moon can be best expressed in its villains this season, the Four Great Kings all had distinct personalities, goals, hopes, drams wants, needs and other character make up that made them compelling and thus were the real driving force of intrigue. On the other side of the coin we had Queen Beryl who just sat around on her ass barking orders and that was about it.
She was less a character and more a harold and personification of the power ofQueen Metalia, who displayed truly world ending power in the flashback. In the present she little more then background noise form Beryl, and this is why Beryl is much more remembered and iconic of the series, for as flat as she was, she was basically the face of evil for this season as uninteresting as she was.
So, I suppose if I had to rank this season and grade it, I would give it a C and maybe say it is the middle of the road, an alirght beginning, but both better and worse times are ahead.

ckohler

I hope SEDA, TheAbsolution, Levyne, and Tenumi all catch up the epicness and post their thoughts. They sooo missed out on One Piece, Gurren Lagann, and Hellsing this week.

Tenumi

Banned
I've already watched Gurren Lagann before, so don't expect much from me out of that. One Piece and Hellsing Ultimate, however, are new for me.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
These Bayonetta 2 reviews and reactions...

Mother of God.

Got my pre-order ready.
And my popcorn for the on-going salt. It just never stops flowing.

I hope all those high scores ensure Nintendo & Platinum have a long future ahead.
Wonderful 102 perhaps?

LOLDSFAN

These Bayonetta 2 reviews and reactions...

Mother of God.

From the review thread.

SickChubbyBilby.gif

BBboy20

Well, considering it is my most hayped game since 2008, really was actual time for a avy change though was more hoping for a image additive like the Evil Within is getting (oh yeah, that game from the director of Vanquish coming out tomorrow)...which made me realize I need to show this sooner then later:

By6AWPRCAAArjlN.png:large

EDIT: Does anybody know how to make a background totally transparent for an avy? Despite my avy not having a matte on Photoshop, this site seems to think otherwise.

Jarate

Banned
I just have no clue why people put so much thought into Bayonetta at all

Shes not a fucking feminist icon, and shes the main character in an incredibly niche series that has no bearing on any societal mainstream media. She's just the main character of an incredible action romp.

The point has been made before where people want games to be something as opposed to just accepting the game for what it is.

Also, we all know that Arthur Gies exists purely too get clicks with his "opinions" IE being a massive douchehole to get clicks for polygon

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Still holding out that we might get Bloody Fate on Toonami.

& Shirobako was a nice surprise. Kind of makes me want to see something like that, but instead of animation, on game development. Don't think it'll be as great as Bakuman, but I'll still probably like it.

Wonder when Toonami is going to announce what movies they'll have in their month of movies. DBZ Battle of Gods would be the big pick up if they can get it

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Last year, movies were announced on Nov. 15th, almost 3 weeks before the first movie aired (Akira). We might have another month to go before hearing what the movies are.

bigkrev

All these games coming out is telling me I need to work on my GOTY list if I don't want to scramble like I did last year

Problem is that most stuff I played this year was a year or 2 old. Lots of it got re-releases that technically make them eligible (Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs), but it's been a strange year for gaming for me.

LOLDSFAN

EDIT: Does anybody know how to make a background totally transparent for an avy? Despite my avy not having a matte on Photoshop, this site seems to think otherwise.

Try uploading it to some website like Minus or Imgur and get the link for it. I've found uploading directly from the computer loses transparency.

Regiruler

Bloody Fate and a Bayo 2 review on the same night.

This stuff writes itself, DeMarco.
During the month of movies or on Halloween?
All these games coming out is telling me I need to work on my GOTY list if I don't want to scramble like I did last year

Problem is that most stuff I played this year was a year or 2 old. Lots of it got re-releases that technically make them eligible (Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs), but it's been a strange year for gaming for me.
For me, it's probably just going to be pokemon, smash, bayonetta, mario kart, and Shovel Knight, as well as Korra if I played it.

I wonder if I can nominate the PC version of MGR again. It was so early that it made the list for last year.

BBboy20

Try uploading it to some website like Minus or Imgur and get the link for it. I've found uploading directly from the computer loses transparency.
http://imgur.com/fMEgdEf
fMEgdEf.png
Imgur sees it transparent but not NeoGAF for some reason. Tried both PNG and JPG.

EDIT: OK, so a post will make it transparent but not uploading it to an avy, even through the URL.

Minus is even weirder.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So playing Higurashi and apparently the anime is great, anyone else want it on toonami now? >.<
Not sure if there'd be enough "action" despite being a horror mystery, but I wouldn't mind a group watch for some of the reactions.

Edit: *watches trailer for One Piece: Dance Battle* WELL, IF PERSONA CAN GET A DANCING GAME, GUESS ONE PIECE CAN TOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom