• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Here's why Vivi sucks:

- EVERYBODY PLEASE STOP FIGHTING ad nasuseam
- annoying crybaby
- stereotypical weak female protagonist

Vivi being a stereotypical weak female is laughable at best, shes one of the top fighter of Baroque works and can handle herself incredibly well against 99.9% of humans,. Not only that, its incredible to see a princess turn into that good of a fighter in such a short time. She just cant compete with people who literally have been fighting their entire lives. Which makes sense considerig shes a goddamn princess

Shes also an incredibly strong person, and constantly moves forward in a real shit situation amd does some incredibly ballsy things to make ure her people are safe. And you can understand why she wants people to stop fighting when this is a revolution started by a shadow organization and the rebels are fighting for no reason and the army is thus protecting itself for no reason.

Anyway, the most annoying character in that arc was the mole lady, but she was kind of supposed to be annoying.

I get the complaints about Vivi turning into a "STOP FIGHTING STOP FIGHTING" and how she's initially depicted as being a strong fighter and the proceeds to do nothing for the next 3 arcs outside of being kind of there as a plot reason for the Straw Hats to get involved. I still like her but I get the frustration people have with her

I get the complaints about Vivi turning into a "STOP FIGHTING STOP FIGHTING" and how she's initially depicted as being a strong fighter and the proceeds to do nothing for the next 3 arcs outside of being kind of there as a plot reason for the Straw Hats to get involved. I still like her but I get the frustration people have with her

I was annoyed when Coby pulled the same crap at Marineford but hey, at least his whining saved Luffy's life.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Impugning the dignity of Princess Vivi in this thread is unacceptable and beneath the posters in this thread. I will not stand by as this happens! Ma-ma-maaaaaah

Impugning the dignity of Princess Vivi in this thread is unacceptable and beneath the posters in this thread. I will not stand by as this happens! Ma-ma-maaaaaah

tumblr_m3c3phvHrE1qcy7dd.gif

Vivi being a stereotypical weak female is laughable at best, shes one of the top fighter of Baroque works and can handle herself incredibly well against 99.9% of humans,. Not only that, its incredible to see a princess turn into that good of a fighter in such a short time. She just cant compete with people who literally have been fighting their entire lives. Which makes sense considerig shes a goddamn princess

Shes also an incredibly strong person, and constantly moves forward in a real shit situation amd does some incredibly ballsy things to make ure her people are safe. And you can understand why she wants people to stop fighting when this is a revolution started by a shadow organization and the rebels are fighting for no reason and the army is thus protecting itself for no reason.

Anyway, the most annoying character in that arc was the mole lady, but she was kind of supposed to be annoying.

Who gives a shit about cannon fodder humans, my point is that she is turned into a whiny damsel in distress once things started to pop off. Nami is a cowered and probably the weakest member of the crew but she managed to take out Miss Doublefinger if I recall correctly. Vivi spent too much time crying and being dramatic for my tastes; not a fan of her character.

Seda

Hmm, I don't have too much against Vivi. She was placed between two armies and despite her convictions she was powerless to do anything. I felt that the futility and hopelessness was kind of the point, with her yelling being drowned out by the sounds of battle acting as a metaphor for that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hmm, I don't have too much against Vivi. She was placed between two armies and despite her convictions she was powerless to do anything. I felt that the futility and hopelessness was kind of the point, with her yelling being drowned out by the sounds of battle acting as a metaphor for that.

It is sort of amusing that they do this three times with prominent female characters in One Piece. Also Usopp I guess.

Jarate

Banned
Who gives a shit about cannon fodder humans, my point is that she is turned into a whiny damsel in distress once things started to pop off. Nami is a cowered and probably the weakest member of the crew but she managed to take out Miss Doublefinger if I recall correctly. Vivi spent too much time crying and being dramatic for my tastes; not a fan of her character.

Nami is weak physically but basically has a portable lighting ability that's pretty ridculous. Nami is by far one of the smartest people in the One Piece universe, which she uses for battle, much like Usopp. Vivi is also a side character, which other then a few main arcs, never really do anything other then get shit on or destroy fodder.

And Vivi wasn't a damsel in distress, she joined a fucking criminal organization with the sole purpose of killing a warlord of the seas who was trying to destroy her country.

Vivi is a pretty well done character, in comparison to other Shonen side characters.

She also does shit on the people who were about to annihilate the entire city, other high ranking members of Baroque Works, so it's not like she was useless. She just couldn't compete with people who were ranked higher then her. She was still a really good fighter, and hell, if she fought Luffy with her hypnotism, she probably would've won.

daveo42

Banned
So is this the thread where we post One Piece spoilers? Or maybe the thread that manufacturers grey bars?

Vivi is absolutely a great character as she is best portrayed as someone who should hold great power and is completely powerless in the face of both the world government and those with actual strength to oppose them. Plus, she has strength of character to continue to fight for her people even when they ignore her cries.

Jarate

Banned
So is this the thread where we post One Piece spoilers? Or maybe the thread that manufacturers grey bars?

I thought it was funny, but Adam Carolla's character was so stupid with his quips. Like, just give me more Mike Tyson, not fucking Adam Carolla

Gorillaz

havn't even started OP yet but I partly want to look at the spoilers just because they are there

edit: holy shit did Tyson leak the first episode of the show just because he can

that's my heavyweight champ

Seda

I guess so... :/

The truth is we probably shouldn't be discussing any MAJOR OP spoilers that take place after what's been on Toonami as a lot of people here are seeing the show for the first time

Everything spoilerly on this page is marked pretty well. I do agree that we shouldn't get into a habit long winded discussion about stuff that hasn't aired, but the occasional comment or back-and-forth is okay as long as it's tagged well.

At one point I threw out a suggestion that we /could/ disallow any discussion of event past the current airing, even if tagged, but a few were quick to disagree with that idea.

But yeah, I personally think this thread does okay with spoilers, most of the time. I might delete posts if a SPOILER is poorly tagged, or brought up for little reason other than being a spoiler.

Jarate

Banned
havn't even started OP yet but I partly want to look at the spoilers just because they are there

edit: holy shit did Tyson leak the first episode of the show just because he can

that's my heavyweight champ

Why havent you started One Piece bro.

Honestly, I still find it weird that One Piece is the least popular of the big 3 in America. Did the 4kids dub really do that much damage to the brand?

Grexeno

Honestly, I still find it weird that One Piece is the least popular of the big 3 in America. Did the 4kids dub really do that much damage to the brand?
One Piece was already at a disadvantage due to the art style, the 4Kids dub was the stake through the heart.

Gorillaz

Main reasons

1. shit is ridiculously long no way in hell would I even possibly catch up to Toonami

the art style....yea yea I know....

Jarate

Banned
I still dont get how the art style is bad though. Like it's so much more appealing to me then typical anime shonen trash. It's like a bugs bunny cartoon, very westernized.

Soulflarz

Banned
Main reasons

1. shit is ridiculously long no way in hell would I even possibly catch up to Toonami

Really, just make a ridiculous agreement with someone that they have to play your one of your favorite jrpgs and that youll catch up, then forget about it for 10 months till its time for you to slog through it.

*sobs*

Nami is weak physically but basically has a portable lighting ability that's pretty ridculous. Nami is by far one of the smartest people in the One Piece universe, which she uses for battle, much like Usopp. Vivi is also a side character, which other then a few main arcs, never really do anything other then get shit on or destroy fodder.

And Vivi wasn't a damsel in distress, she joined a fucking criminal organization with the sole purpose of killing a warlord of the seas who was trying to destroy her country.

Vivi is a pretty well done character, in comparison to other Shonen side characters.

She also does shit on the people who were about to annihilate the entire city, other high ranking members of Baroque Works, so it's not like she was useless. She just couldn't compete with people who were ranked higher then her. She was still a really good fighter, and hell, if she fought Luffy with her hypnotism, she probably would've won.

Nami's weapon in part 1 isn't op and she seems to have slightly above average intelligence which is magnified on a crew full of idiots; not sure how you came to the conclusion that she's one of the smartest characters in the series.

I didn't forget about her reason for joining baroque works, the issue is that she becomes marginalized once Luffy and company start doing their thing, that's why I called her a damsel in distress.

I don't care about Vivi in relation to other shonen characters, I'm holding her up to the standards set by others females in the series. Nami and Robin are female characters done well, Vivi is not.

And no, Vivi would never beat Luffy, even with her lame hypnosis power.

Jarate

Banned
There's a group that is making a One Piece Kai like series called One Pace, I havent seen it yet, but it's getting some popularity

ckohler

I thought it was funny, but Adam Carolla's character was so stupid with his quips. Like, just give me more Mike Tyson, not fucking Adam Carolla
It's Norm McDonald. Episode was decent. I wonder if him leaking it online was deliberate or he legitimately broke some rule.

Grexeno

Nami's weapon in part 1 isn't op and Nami seems to have slightly above average intelligence which is magnified on a crew full of idiots; not sure how you came to the conclusion that she's one of the smartest characters in the series.

I didn't forget about her reason for joining baroque works, the issue is that she becomes marginalized once Luffy and company start doing their thing, that's why I called her a damsel in distress.

I don't care about Vivi in relation to other shonen characters, I'm holding her up to the standards set by others females in the series. Nami and Robin are female characters done well, Vivi is not.

And no, Vivi would never beat Luffy, even with her lame hypnosis power.
It's completely illogical to call Vivi a damsel in distress. She spends the entire saga actively trying to stop Baroque Works.

daveo42

Banned
Everything spoilerly on this page is marked pretty well. I do agree that we shouldn't get into a habit long winded discussion about stuff that hasn't aired, but the occasional comment or back-and-forth is okay as long as it's tagged well.

At one point I threw out a suggestion that we /could/ disallow any discussion of event past the current airing, even if tagged, but a few were quick to disagree with that idea.

But yeah, I personally think this thread does okay with spoilers, most of the time. I might delete posts if a SPOILER is poorly tagged, or brought up for little reason other than being a spoiler.

For the most part I really don't care about spoilers in the thread that are well marked, it's more the long winded discussions that might be better suited elsewhere. I love discussing One Piece, but long sections of the conversation being about events well past the current Toonami arc can be alienating to some posters. That's not really something I'd want to see in here.

Goofier art style and not nearly as constantly serious as other big anime/manga out there, even when OP tackles some pretty serious subject matter.

Jarate

Banned
It's Norm McDonald. Episode was decent. I wonder if him leaking it online was deliberate or he legitimately broke some rule.

Norm McDonald and Adam Carolla are basically the same person

I'm an idiot

And Vivi is a side character. Most side characters in the show are basically there to progress the plot a certain bit. Nami is by far the best navigator in the world, and has the best senses for weather in probably in the OP universe, which has been stated multiple times.

Also, the Strawhats are all ludicrously strong, even for grand line standards. It's stated multiple times just how absolutely bonkers they are.

One Piece filler, skip or watch?

Depends, One Piece filler isn't as bad as Naruto filler, but there's a similar drop in quality. I say skip it unless you really want to do that to yourself

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Goofier art style and not nearly as constantly serious as other big anime/manga out there, even when OP tackles some pretty serious subject matter.

4Kids really didn't help.
It's probably the reason people call the art style "kiddy" despite being similar to Dragon Ball (Toriyama is one of Oda's influences).

Jarate

Banned
Skip everything except the G8 arc. Almost everyone agrees that's the best filler arc.

G8 arc was terrible though. Like, absolutely dreadful

SIR WE HAVE A USELESS MILITARY BASE AND THE MARINES ARE COMING TO SHUT IT DOWN BECAUSE IT'S USELESS

NO IT'S NOT USELESS EVEN THOUGH WE DONT DO ANYTHING

*STRAWHATS LAND IN BASE*

STRAWHATS NOT ONLY ARE ABLE TO LEAVE THE BASE, BUT THEY ARE ALSO ABLE TO GET ALL THE TREASURE THEY LOST BACK

SIR IS THE BASE IN TROUBLE AGAIN

NO THIS JUST PROVES THAT WE NEED TO STAY HERE EVEN THOUGH WE'VE FAILED AT THE ONLY THING THAT WE HAVE EVER DONE

It is way better then other One Piece filler, it's just that filler arcs are never well thought out generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom