• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to this topic, saying 4Kids is solely behind One Piece's lack of success is ignoring the fact that One Piece was unpopular with scanlators, and that while you had subbers coming out of the woodworks for Bleach and Naruto, you only really had one for One Piece and it introduced the world to the poison of nakama. American anime fans liked One Piece less than the other Big 3 well before it was dubbed.

I doubt that played much of a role to be honest. The main problem was 4kids giving a terrible first impression with their awful dub on the foxbox back in 2003. Kids don't give a shit about scans and Shonen Jump already carried the series in their American publication.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
ARE YOU SERIOUS.

I CAN'T GET TOONAMI AS OF TODAY CUZ I HAVE DISH!?

THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED TO WAKE UP TO.

EDIT: OH MY GOD IT ACTUALLY IS GONE. "We continue to work diligently to reach an agreement with Turner and will keep you informed of any updates here." YOU BETTER COME TO AN AGREEMENT.

Tamanon

Banned
Battles between cable companies and networks are annoying. We're on week 3 of no Viacom with Suddenlink. Mainly that means no Comedy Central for me, which is quite annoying.

Dish usually works them out pretty quick though.

bigkrev

Yikes at people with Dish- these things tend to not resolve quickly, even when channels are pulled.

Hope it all works out for you.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, don't say you are glad to have X cable service because this shit has been happening on pretty much all services for the past 14 years.

Yea, don't say you are glad to have X cable service because this shit has been happening on pretty much all services for the past 14 years.

Well I've had directv for 15 years and can't recall ever coming across a situation where CN was unavailable due to a contract dispute so I'll say it again.

Glad I have directv

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sent both an e-mail & tweet about CN being removed. Hell, while I don't think it'll affect my younger sister too much (she usually watched Nick & *ugh* Disney Channel), she'll probably be disappointed by this news.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Isn't Cartoon Network one of the more popular channels for satellite, considering it's part of the cheapest package? I'm assuming they'd do their best to reach an agreement, especially if there's going to be a backlash.

Also IGPX's problem is that it's one of those shows where it just puts you to sleep 1/2 the time with the fact it airs so late. Think I had the same issue with a few episodes of GitS when it got real dialogue heavy.

daveo42

Banned
Isn't Cartoon Network one of the more popular channels for satellite, considering it's part of the cheapest package? I'm assuming they'd do their best to reach an agreement, especially if there's going to be a backlash.

The issue is that Dish wants to limit the amount it spends for the package that includes CN and avoid upping service costs to consumers. The problem with this is that Cable/Satellite providers are in a bind because there are more and more alternatives to getting content online from cable networks and better alternatives. Cable/Satellite companies are trying to avoid conforming to a streaming future and will end up crashing if they can't update their old and tired business models.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is it even possible to log in to Adult Swim's site using Dish for the time being? Or would have have been disabled as well?

Also, this news doesn't help that the Simpsons World app doesn't work with Dish as well.

bigkrev

Also IGPX's problem is that it's one of those shows where it just puts you to sleep 1/2 the time with the fact it airs so late. Think I had the same issue with a few episodes of GitS when it got real dialogue heavy.

In general, the average person who is able to actually switch off the provider isn't the person who wants Cartoon Network.

For reference, it took them 6 months to get OLN (NBC Sports) back in 2005, and 3 months to get AMC back (missing the start of a Breaking Bad Season) a few years ago.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
In general, the average person who is able to actually switch off the provider isn't the person who wants Cartoon Network.

For reference, it took them 6 months to get OLN (NBC Sports) back in 2005, and 3 months to get AMC back (missing the start of a Breaking Bad Season) a few years ago.
Well that's..not assuring....

Probably would be best to figure out a back-up method in the chance this doesn't get handled soon. Does Adult Swim do an online stream of Toonami? I don't really want to deal with streams since last thing I want is random buffering at important moments, but might be my only choice for the time being.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not seeing what had everyone so bent out of shape on Funimation's One Piece site. I mean, there are a few things there that are technically spoilers for now, since they're promoting the next major arc past Enies Lobby and One Piece Film Z, but nothing that I would really consider a huge huge spoiler (or, for that matter, nothing that hasn't been everywhere in public for years now). There are distant future episodes on there subbed as well that do have some massive spoilers, yeah, but you really have to go hunting for those.

With regards to filler and what to watch, some day I should post my suggested viewing schedule for One Piece. For years I ran a chat group with some friends where we would watch the entire series in 3-5 episode bursts on a weekly basis (sounds like a lot, but that's about 1 to <2 hours tops, especially if you're skipping openings and recaps), so I have pretty much the entire anime broken out into easily digestible sittings all the way through (distant future arc)
Punk Hazard
. We also watched absolutely everything, including the shittiest of filler, but that filler is usually broken out into its own viewing session, with only a handful of exceptions.

I'm not seeing what had everyone so bent out of shape on Funimation's One Piece site. I mean, there are a few things there that are technically spoilers for now, since they're promoting the next major arc past Enies Lobby and One Piece Film Z, but nothing that I would really consider a huge huge spoiler (or, for that matter, nothing that hasn't been everywhere in public for years now). There are distant future episodes on there subbed as well that do have some massive spoilers, yeah, but you really have to go hunting for those.

With regards to filler and what to watch, some day I should post my suggested viewing schedule for One Piece. For years I ran a chat group with some friends where we would watch the entire series in 3-5 episode bursts on a weekly basis (sounds like a lot, but that's about 1 to <2 hours tops, especially if you're skipping openings and recaps), so I have pretty much the entire anime broken out into easily digestible sittings all the way through (distant future arc)
Punk Hazard
. We also watched absolutely everything, including the shittiest of filler, but that filler is usually broken out into its own viewing session, with only a handful of exceptions.
Wow. You really are the One Piece super fan.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I also watch the filler everytime.

The worst of it is the transition arc after Enies Lobby. I'll be complaining about it sometime next year.

ckohler

If I wanted to start back at the beginning of the One Piece story and get caught up to where we are on Toonami, what's the fastest way? To read the manga or watch the show?

Bio-Frost

If I wanted to start back at the beginning of the One Piece story and get caught up to where we are on Toonami, what's the fastest way? To read the manga or watch the show?

Manga would always be faster(Actually started reading it a few days ago) but the music and VO of one piece is so good. If you go with the Manga I would at least watch Choppers backstory, its really good.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Depends on how much anime you'd really want to cram per viewing. It wouldn't be too difficult, if you watched some every day and skipped the worst of the fillers (Apis and the Post-Arabasta stuff) to get back to where Toonami started (Davy Back Fight) in about a month or less.

In terms of pure time, manga is always faster, though.

santeesioux

But about when they Took G4 from us!
pffffthahahahahaha

I had no idea that channel was even still around until i saw a thread on this site talking about how all they play is old Xplay episodes from several years ago. I used to love coming home from school and watching that and Attack of the Show.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"We are working around the clock to reach a fair and reasonable agreement with Turner."

Generic, but at least they responded to my tweet..

Soulflarz

Banned
You should be able to sign in using your other parents cable provider and watch online at least

Well my dad has Uverse in our normal house and my mom has comcast. If that lets me watch it *live* (i was only aware of recordings for the episodes via the adult swim app) count me in! Yay more toonami :3

Well my dad has Uverse in our normal house and my mom has comcast. If that lets me watch it *live* (i was only aware of recordings for the episodes via the adult swim app) count me in! Yay more toonami :3

Basically go to adultswim's website and click the watch live and sign into your mom's comcast account and you can watch anywhere. It's what I did when I was on vacation in Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom