• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Dragon Ball's characters are ABSURDLY muscled. 90's kids ate that shit up.

hiUx6ry.png

NOT ENOUGH MUSCLES

4Kids really didn't help.
It's probably the reason people call the art style "kiddy" despite being similar to Dragon Ball (Toriyama is one of Oda's influences).
But Dragon Ball is a kids show and so is One Piece, at least in Japan. The art style is bland and goofy to be honest. I think it looks alright but a lot of people irrationally hate on it.

4kids is the sole reason why One Piece isn't on par with DBZ/Pokemon/YGO in America if you ask me. They really goofed with that dub.

daveo42

Banned
4Kids really didn't help.
It's probably the reason people call the art style "kiddy" despite being similar to Dragon Ball (Toriyama is one of Oda's influences).

Personally I'd call it goofy or more exaggerated, but not kiddy per se. The 4kids dub probably didn't help matters, but it is clearly different in many ways to the other two, which are a bit more angsty and super cereal.

Seda

For the most part I really don't care about spoilers in the thread that are well marked, it's more the long winded discussions that might be better suited elsewhere. I love discussing One Piece, but long sections of the conversation being about events well past the current Toonami arc can be alienating to some posters. That's not really something I'd want to see in here.

I totally agree. Just a matter of drawing that line when 'spoiler discussion' goes on for too long. Above is only like 5 posts so I think that's not unreasonable, and now some chatter about Vivi/Alabasta.'

I mean, it's better than Ino gif spam.

G8 arc was terrible though. Like, absolutely dreadful

SIR WE HAVE A USELESS MILITARY BASE AND THE MARINES ARE COMING TO SHUT IT DOWN BECAUSE IT'S USELESS

NO IT'S NOT USELESS EVEN THOUGH WE DONT DO ANYTHING

*STRAWHATS LAND IN BASE*

STRAWHATS NOT ONLY ARE ABLE TO LEAVE THE BASE, BUT THEY ARE ALSO ABLE TO GET ALL THE TREASURE THEY LOST BACK

SIR IS THE BASE IN TROUBLE AGAIN

NO THIS JUST PROVES THAT WE NEED TO STAY HERE EVEN THOUGH WE'VE FAILED AT THE ONLY THING THAT WE HAVE EVER DONE

It is way better then other One Piece filler, it's just that filler arcs are never well thought out generally.

Jonathan and the Condoriano scene nullifies your argument.

Also if they lost the treasure, the Water 7 arc wouldn't have happened at all.

daveo42

Banned
I totally agree. Just a matter of drawing that line when 'spoiler discussion' goes on for too long. Above is only like 5 posts so I think that's not unreasonable, and now some chatter about Vivi/Alabasta.'

I mean, it's better than Ino gif spam.

Mobile does a good job in exaggerating how much has been posted in the thread. Also, anything is better than Ino gif spam. Literally anything.

Jarate

Banned
Jonathan and the Condoriano scene nullifies your argument.

Also if they lost the treasure, the Water 7 arc wouldn't have happened at all.a

I understand, and there are good moments to it, but man, it's not that good

Dont go in expecting anything other then decent One Piece shenanigans. I got hyped up and that probably made me go in with way more expectations then I should have

Seda

What do we think might take up Hellsing's slots when it finishes?

Hopefully something more than bringing IGPX and FLCL out of storage.

I'm not very familiar with anime so I don't know the possibilities of available dubbed shows that could fit. Only thing that comes to mind is Darker than Black.

Grexeno

I'm not very familiar with anime so I don't know the possibilities of available dubbed shows that could fit. Only thing that comes to mind is Darker than Black.
They're definitely going to bring IGPX and FLCL out of storage.

daveo42

Banned
They're definitely going to bring IGPX and FLCL out of storage.

FLCL I'm okay with. IGPX not so much, but I can see them using both. Other than that, not really sure what could come in at that slot. There are a good deal of Funi shows that could fit in at the later spot, just a matter of what's right for the money.

Edit: There's always the option of a schedule shift too if AoT could slide down the list past TTGL, meaning another big draw anime coming in.

Yu Yu Hakusho

You can't go wrong with more OVAs.

GITS: Arise is an option.

But Dragon Ball is a kids show and so is One Piece, at least in Japan. The art style is bland and goofy to be honest. I think it looks alright but a lot of people irrationally hate on it.

4kids is the sole reason why One Piece isn't on par with DBZ/Pokemon/YGO in America if you ask me. They really goofed with that dub.

Going back to this topic, saying 4Kids is solely behind One Piece's lack of success is ignoring the fact that One Piece was unpopular with scanlators, and that while you had subbers coming out of the woodworks for Bleach and Naruto, you only really had one for One Piece and it introduced the world to the poison of nakama. American anime fans liked One Piece less than the other Big 3 well before it was dubbed.

I've never seen a scan that refers to the Shichibukai by an official translated name. Is it Seven Warlords? Royal Warlords?

I always figure One Piece is just "the weird one" of the big shonen, even by the standards of animu. Usopp is a main character and he doesn't really look that appealing, and you have crazy stuff like Bon-Clay/
Ivankov
, ridiculous proportions, humans that barely look human, the fishmen, and so on. Plus, you know. Toei isn't exactly the top-dog of animation.

Soulflarz

Banned
I watched the first episode of this, liked it a lot, and then never watched anything more.
I would say watch the abridged version, which is wonderful in its own ways, but really, the real show deserves to be watched on its own merits. The proper show is filled with shit talking enough that sometimes youre sitting there saying "wait this is how it was intended? Lol"
I loved YYH growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom