• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which series do you guys have the most fun making bumpers for?
One Piece is always fun!

giphy.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Doesn't Netflix have the right to air the dub of Psycho Pass from Funi? We still got a comment that hinted we may see in sometime next year (yay......) so even if Netflix gets the dub we may still see it on Toonami in the future. I really can't see Netflix footing the bill themselves for an 148 episode anime dub on their own.

Netflix has spent much more than a dub would cost to get far less.

Psycho Pass has no exclusivity to Netflix.

Oh good, this ended before Mike Tyson Mysteries started.

Almost forgot, thanks for reminding me

Well, the be IF is Sentai, they need to play ball first.

Sentai dubs most of their shows so that shouldn't be an issue, and considering that DeMarco just said in this AMA that they're open to Sentai being on Toonami. Why would Sentai need to pay for Akame Ga Kill to air? It doesn't have TnA they'd need to censor

I very much believe we'll see a Sentai show on Toonami in 2015, both sides have clearly shown interest over the past few months and as Sentai continues to pick up shows that are popular and dub them and release them in the US the more a partnership would be mutually beneficial.

No one said this about Kill la Kill because it came out pretty early that it might be too lewd for Toonami

Nobody? I recall a lot of speculation that KLK would come to toonami before DeMarco shut that talk down at Momocon. I'll go out on a limb and say AGK won't come either without edits which neither side wants to pay for.

Crocodile

Seems I just missed the Q&A

A) Did anybody ask/say anything about Jojo?

B) I feel pretty confident that Log Horizon would bomb on Toonami. Akame no Kill has a better chance but that shitty anime humor brings it down from time to time.

On an unrelated note, the problem with the Fake Kaurakua Town arc was that it was sold as a "war" but played out like a tournament. A bunch of mostly one on one fights with everybody staying neatly out of each others way and taking turns. There was no strategic element to it, there were basically no group fights and there were barely any stakes. Because this is Bleach and Shonen, none of the good guys were in any actual danger but none of them could hope to ever touch Aizen, Gin or Tousen. Since most fights in Bleach devolve "my power level is greater than yours", few of the fights are every engaging. It was mostly an exercise in wasting time :/

They'd have announced it or thrown it up there by now. It's too big a property to keep hidden away like this.

You would think this would be the case for anyone who has the dub rights to this series, same with JoJo... and yet here we are still waiting and wondering what the hold up is

Nobody? I recall a lot of speculation that KLK would come to toonami before DeMarco shut that talk down at Momocon. I'll go out on a limb and say AGK won't come either without edits which neither side wants to pay for.

Uhh what part of Akame Ga Kill would have to be censored/edited? Girls in bathing suits hasn't been a problem before and the violence is nowhere near as graphic as Hellsing.

Crocodile

We had a Nazi Vampire eat a baby on Hellsing Ultimate. You know the type of shit that sends American censors in a tizzy and violence isn't it :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dang, Jojo would've been a good question. But nobody asked.

& from what it sounds like, does Akame ga Kill suffer from the same "comedy" that Hellsing tries to attempt?

Grexeno

Dang, Jojo would've been a good question. But nobody asked.

& from what it sounds like, does Akame ga Kill suffer from the same "comedy" that Hellsing tries to attempt?
Both the comedy and violence in Akame ga Kill are way closer to normal than both in Hellsing.

Late to the party and blocked out for the moment by Funi and Aniplex

the thing is that Sentai hasn't worked with Adult Swim in any capacity for quite a while because they chose to focus on pushing their Anime Network.

You would think this would be the case for anyone who has the dub rights to this series, same with JoJo... and yet here we are still waiting and wondering what the hold up is

for what it's worth, i think the current rumor was that HxH was in the midst of a bidding war.

Uhh what part of Akame Ga Kill would have to be censored/edited? Girls in bathing suits hasn't been a problem before and the violence is nowhere near as graphic as Hellsing.

I don't see what edits AGK would need.

We had a Nazi Vampire eat a baby on Hellsing Ultimate. You know the type of shit that sends American censors in a tizzy and violence isn't it :p

Wait for the child molestation, rape, and genital torture

Crocodile

I very much believe we'll see a Sentai show on Toonami in 2015, both sides have clearly shown interest over the past few months and as Sentai continues to pick up shows that are popular and dub them and release them in the US the more a partnership would be mutually beneficial.

Girls und Panzer for Toonami 2015!
#Kappa

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
More like what FMA:B does with it's comedy scenes, it's no where near as jarring
Aaah, okay. I like to use FMA:B as a series that knows when to use comedy to lighten the mood, but still understands when to keep it serious & not switch to its sillier art style.

Crocodile

The "comedy" in Akame ga Kill is WAY worse than the stuff in FMA. Tropey up the wazoo but those tropes that you hate. If only it was half as funny as Mike Tyson Mysteries is right now LOL

Aaah, okay. I like to use FMA:B as a series that knows when to use comedy to lighten the mood, but still understands when to keep it serious & not switch to its sillier art style.

The style of comedy works for me, but I know it doesn't for others. Also with how much darker AkG is compared to FMA:B it's comedy might be even more jarring for those who didn't like what FMA:B did

i do not agree with this at all. for the first 20 or so episodes, anyway.

Exactly like this here lol

1) This season of the anime isn't even going to get to this

2) This stuff isn't going to air on Japanese TV either as they've already toned down scenes of rape and cut a scene of child molestation

1. Probably won't get to the genital torture but you know exactly where the anime will end this season? I bet there's a good chance to get to some of the sexualized themes and even implied child molestation won't fly on cartoon network.

2. There's a plot point that involves rape/molestation they can't ignore whether it's this season or the next

Violence isn't the problem with AGK, it's the sexualized nature in which it's portrayed. On top of that the show will probably be expensive to air. You think they're going to splurge on AGK to air it at 2 or 2:30AM and roll the dice with something that will probably do Black Lagoon or Hellsing ratings? SAO II and Log Horizon are much safer bets imo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The style of comedy works for me, but I know it doesn't for others. Also with how much darker AkG is compared to FMA:B it's comedy might be even more jarring for those who didn't like what FMA:B did
I grew up watching a decent amount of comedies as a kid & teen, so FMA:B's humor worked most of the time for me.

1. Probably won't get to the genital torture but you know exactly where the anime will end this season? I bet there's a good chance to get to some of the sexualized themes and even implied child molestation won't fly on cartoon network.

2. There's a plot point that involves rape/molestation they can't ignore whether it's this season or the next

Violence isn't the problem with AGK, it's the sexualized nature in which it's portrayed. On top of that the show will probably be expensive to air. You think they're going to splurge on AGK to air it at 2 or 2:30AM? SAO II and Log Horizon are much safer bets imo.

Got a pretty good idea of where it'll end
the battle with Esdeath in the church with everyone

And both Gurren Lagann and Black Lagoon aired on the block, Black Lagoon even featured all those themes you mentioned and arguably was darker with how it depicted them.

Crocodile

I can't speak to what the anime hasn't covered yet that happens in the manga (and I expect some things to be toned down based on what people are saying in here) but from the 17 episodes aired so far, there's nothing that would be too much for this version of Toonami. Let's see how the anime actually handles the super edgy stuff before we say its too much for Toonami or not.

I can't speak to what the anime hasn't covered yet that happens in the manga (and I expect some things to be toned down based on what people are saying in here) but from the 17 episodes aired so far, there's nothing that would be too much for this version of Toonami. Let's see how the anime actually handles the super edgy stuff before we say its too much for Toonami or not.

This seriously, nothing in the manga is any worse then the manga for Black Lagoon shows, and that arc was animated just fine and aired on Toonami

And both Gurren Lagann and Black Lagoon aired on the block, Black Lagoon even featured all those themes you mentioned and arguably was darker with how it depicted them.

Bro Black Lagoon doesn't have
a deranged clown that openly talks about how he rapes and murders kids to preserve their innocence
. I don't know how you get any darker than that.

Putting the nature of the content on hold, do you actually think the network will shell out money for AGK when it will air at 2 or 2:30AM and super edgy content has generally proven to tank in the ratings? The 'new' shows they air after the long running shonen are generally a few years old outside of SAO.

Grexeno

Bro Black Lagoon doesn't have
a deranged clown that openly talks about how he rapes and murders kids to preserve their innocence
. I don't know how you get any darker than that.

Putting the nature of the content on hold, do you actually think the network will shell out money for AGK when it will air at 2 or 2:30AM and super edgy content has generally proven to tank in the ratings? The 'new' shows they air after the long running shonen are generally a few years old outside of SAO.
AGK will get better ratings because it looks like SAO

Bro Black Lagoon doesn't have . I don't know how you get any darker than that.

And that spoiler isn't even going to be in this season of the anime as there simply aren't enough episodes left at the pacing they're going to get there. Plus we don't even know how the Japanese version of the anime will depict that, but odds are when the second season of the anime gets to that part they'll edit it down because it's too much even for Japanese TV.

And they aired Hellsing Ultimate from 3-4 and are currently airing it from 2 - 3 and Hellsing Ultimate had a baby getting eaten... yeah it's not sexual but it's a dark and edgy show and they just went out of their way to say they want more adult shows like Hellsing Ultimate tonight. The bigger question about AgK on Toonami is if we ever get Sentai on Toonami, not if AgK is too racy for Toonami (it isn't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom