• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Would age play a factor in you guys getting Sailor Moon?
Would you guys consider picking up more shows that have 10 episodes or was Hellsing Ultimate a special case?

I hope that Hellsing does NOT become a special case, I'd like to do that a bit more. That said, we don't plan to move from the model of longer shows taking up most of the block.

I'll look through more of it, but I need to finish studying first.

Edit: Hmmm.

It's been rumored that you guys got Gurren Lagann because Kill La Kill had too much nudity for S&P to clear. Is that true?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, fuck, we are going to have to put up with Psycho-Pass in 2015.

There's a couple of other shows that have been mentioned by name in past Q+A's like Outlaw Star and Fairy Tail that still haven't made it in.

Sailor Moon is a dead cert in some form or another.

EDIT: Why is everyone so sure it'll be IGPX? Something like FLCL is much more likely.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
There's a couple of other shows that have been mentioned by name in past Q+A's like Outlaw Star and Fairy Tail that still haven't made it in.

Sailor Moon is a dead cert in some form or another.

I distinctly remember Fairy Tail got a pass, probably because of DBZ Kai.

The problem with the Fake Karakura town has always been there are far too many pointless fights that get far too much attention. Major one on one fights that last 2-4 episodes should be reserved for the main characters/top tier characters which in Bleach are supposed to be Ichigo, Rukia, Renji, Chad, Orihime, and Uriyu. The first major problem of the Fake Karakura town arc is that none of these characters are in the arc! The captains and vice captains in canon have not been given enough screen time to warrant these large matches outside of Byakuya, Toshiro, and Kenpachi. You could argue Ikkaku and Rangiku as well but going back to my big 3 captains the two biggest (Byakuya and Kenpachi) are not in the arc either. Combine with the fact most of the major arrancar that have been introduced have already been beaten by Ichigo and co at Hueco Mundo (Uqlorria, Grimjow, and Yammy) which means outside of Coyote Stark none of established Espada are at the Fake Karakura town either. We do have Aizen, Gin, and Tosen there... but they're immediately sealed behind a wall of flames by Yamato leaving all the battles to be between the bottom of the barrel heroes vs the bottom of the barrel villains. You might say "but Bass it's a war arc of course you let everyone get in on the fighting" and I'd agree, the thing is there is a way to do this without giving everyone a 2-3 episode one on one battle. You do this by either giving everyone A) a 10-15 minute match with the remaining 5 minutes setting up the next fight or B) you do group battles where 2-5 good guys go up against 2-5 bad guys at the same time or C) you just go crazy and have an all out brawl where everyone is fighting at the same time and you may get 1-2 minutes focused on a particular one on one but we never follow any major match. With C you'd generally either have one major fight (say main hero vs main villain) or event (such as main character attempting to stop the fighting or stall until help arrives etc) that we keep cutting back to as our focus point where if that main fight/objective is completed the battle is won/lost.

Let's use Dragon Ball Z as an example, lets just say for plot reasons Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Future Trunks, and Piccolo (during Cell saga era) were on another planet for whatever reason when suddenly Cell and a host of Cell Jrs showed up. The only people left to fight on Earth are Krillin, Tien, Chaitosu, Yamcha, Master Roshi, some of the namekians who fought against Freeza and now lived on Earth, and a few characters from the red ribbon army arc like General Blue and Mercenary Tao and we gave each of these characters a 2-3 episode fight against a villain. This would be dreadfully boring as you know none of these good guys can defeat Cell and we're not even sure when Goku and the main team are even going to be able to show up. Any one of these fights might be enjoyable and heck Tien and Krillin are fairly popular b-tier characters and it's cool to let them get some time to shine, but when we get down to seeing random Namekian who beat a few Freeza soldiers fight random Cell Jr for 2-3 episodes you're going to burn out. By the time Goku and the main characters show up to fight Cell you're probably just tired and want this arc to end but now we have our major show down which is good and lengthy but after so much stalling the impact this fight show have is lessened.

I hope that makes sense as to my personal problem with the arc in terms of pacing, obviously the problem of giving b/c tier characters major fights is still an issue, but you could cut quiet a few of those fights down into 1/2 - 1 episodes. Make those fights snappy and quick and you could probably reduce some of the burn out a lot of people start to feel at this point in Bleach.

Kai open not 100% decided yet. Original open week one, likely Toonami open after that.

Intruder 2 will be a multi-week event.

EDIT: Darnit, my PBP is slow.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wait, where's it say we're getting Psycho pass?

It doesn't. Whenever someone answers a question about a specific show though the odds of it showing up sometime later goes up quite a bit.

Final Act, DBZ Kai, Attack on Titan are all three good examples. They don't answer questions about shows they haven't gotten/can't get most of the time.

Shippuden was another!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Do you have any issues with shorter series that are normal 22-minute lengths? It seems like most of your pickups have been shows that at least have 20 episodes. Is it in your financial interest to stick to longer-running series or is it just a matter of what is offered/what you want?
It is definitely easier financially to license "longer" shows. Also, we have seen that the more settled our schedule is on Toonami, the more people have time to develop habit watching. Our ratings are almost always better when we are stable... sadly we haven't been as stable lately as we would like, in terms of the lineup!
Well this would also explain why AoT is staying at its current time.

Edit: Yes, if anyone can ask about Black Lagoon's OVAs airing & maybe also if we'll hear the movie month stuff soon, that'd be great.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Big O season 2 will most likely rerun, it seems.

& they're gonna see how the black bars go with Kai before seeing if they'd do it for any other shows.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami seems to be fine with having three endless shoenen programs, they probably don't want to offer up too much of the same thing or shit gets deluded.

That a question about merchandise was answered with "Merch - what a good idea!" makes me very hopeful I can pick up a Toonami t-shirt or knick-knack soon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That a question about merchandise was answered with "Merch - what a good idea!" makes me very hopeful I can pick up a Toonami t-shirt or knick-knack soon.
T.O.M bobbleheads! Absolution lego sets!

& "we'll see" on AoT moving away from its 11:30 AM slot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is another strange thing, so far they like the regular-cour shows leading the block, I mean why not have DBZ Kai at 11:30 PM?

AOT nearly breaking Bleach's ratings record makes them think that the reruns will do well. That and it leaves it open in half a year to being switched up with whatever new hotness they can pick up. That's the theory at any rate.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One more question ish more like a suggestion. So Myself and few others wrote in about TOM and sara. Basically we said that TOM and Sara seem to corny , its gotten better. Man those intros are still bad, any chance we can just get a silent intro? I know you like to have that little convo but cant you just do that during a break? Idk , i feel like the atmosphere is constantly being broken with cheesy lines , breaking the 4th wall etc , but thanks! Oh btw Shippuden promo? haha
Hm I dunno, we have tried to make those opens interesting and give the casual viewer an idea of what to expect for the night, and they seem to work in that regard. Long gone are the days where we had $$ for a minute long intro, although I would love for us to be able to do that again! As far as "breaking the 4th wall" I think that's a pretty blurry area when it comes to TOM, who has always maintained he's a TV host... even though he has a backstory and has gone on adventures. It's messy. We're not likely to change from the current open style for a while, but after Intruder... a lot may change! And yeah you're right, we owe Shippuden fans a promo. We'll get to it!
Eeeh, I don't mind the intros. They're silly, but do fit the mood for some of the shows.

This is another strange thing, so far they like the regular-cour shows leading the block, I mean why not have DBZ Kai at 11:30 PM?

If I had to guess maybe they're hoping the huge Bleach fandom that tunes in at midnight for Bleach might be more likely to stick around with Toonami once Bleach ends if they tune in at 12 and see DBZ instead of Naruto Shippuden? Or perhaps they do plan to slide DBZ:Kai up to 11:30, Naruto Shippuden to 12, and either One Piece/Fairy Tail/long running shonen to 12:30 leaving the other of Fairy Tail/long running shonen/One Piece once they get past the holidays and can slide AoT into the 2:30 spot

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
FLCL ain't coming back soon, adult swim would be interested in sponsoring the Space Dandy movie if it were to happen, & "The most clear note we got from fans was to see more ADULT (read: dark) content. Hellsing was our first response to that."

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmm, that statement about Hellsing Ultimate being a response to the fans wanting more darker stuff makes me wonder if the 2:30 AM show will be another "darker" show as well, like with Black Lagoon.

Inuyasha: Final Act will run with the full open on the night of the premiere and have a shortened open thereafter.

Sentai incoming?

Other than aniplex and funimation, are there any other companies you get airing rights from?

[–]LICHKINGDEMARCO 1 point 4 minutes ago

Viz. And hopefully more soon.

Other then Sentai who out there would they be able to get rights to air anime from? Rightstuf with Gundam?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If I had to guess maybe they're hoping the huge Bleach fandom that tunes in at midnight for Bleach might be more likely to stick around with Toonami once Bleach ends if they tune in at 12 and see DBZ instead of Naruto Shippuden? Or perhaps they do plan to slide DBZ:Kai up to 11:30, Naruto Shippuden to 12, and either One Piece/Fairy Tail/long running shonen to 12:30 leaving the other of Fairy Tail/long running shonen/One Piece once they get past the holidays and can slide AoT into the 2:30 spot

I just don't see them getting another endless battle shonen when they already have the cream of the crop. Basically I am expecting Sailor Moon instead.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm starting to get real excited by what could come at 2:30. Oh sure, it could be the Immortal Hulk Hogan Grand Prix, but it could also be something cheap with some fine age on it like Outlaw Star or Trigun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom