• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct14| A Place for Manly Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they aired Hellsing Ultimate from 3-4 and are currently airing it from 2 - 3 and Hellsing Ultimate had a baby getting eaten... yeah it's not sexual but it's a dark and edgy show and they just went out of their way to say they want more adult shows like Hellsing Ultimate tonight. The bigger question about AgK on Toonami is if we ever get Sentai on Toonami, not if AgK is too racy for Toonami (it isn't)

You didn't answer my question. Do you think the network will shell out the money for a new property in AGK, which will air at 2-2:30AM, when edgy content has not done well in the ratings?

Grexeno

You didn't answer my question. Do you think the network will shell out the money for a new property in AGK, which will air at 2-2:30AM, when edgy content has not done well in the ratings?
Yes, they will, because the problem with Black Lagoon and Hellsing is that they don't look like traditional anime. AGK looks a shit-ton like traditional anime.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
And they aired Hellsing Ultimate from 3-4 and are currently airing it from 2 - 3 and Hellsing Ultimate had a baby getting eaten... yeah it's not sexual but it's a dark and edgy show and they just went out of their way to say they want more adult shows like Hellsing Ultimate tonight. The bigger question about AgK on Toonami is if we ever get Sentai on Toonami, not if AgK is too racy for Toonami (it isn't)

Well, there was Rip Van Winkle's death, which was immensely sexualized. In fact, it's worse in Japanese since she sounds like she's "enjoying" it.

Yes, they will, because the problem with Black Lagoon and Hellsing is that they don't look like traditional anime. AGK looks a shit-ton like traditional anime.

How do they not look like 'traditional' anime? Because there aren't swords? AgK probably won't come and if it does, it won't be for a while. I don't know the budget but it's limited and we know they've got movies to license, just splurged on DBZ, and are working on intruder 2. Usually the content picked up after the long running shonen is a little older to save money, I'm guessing AgK isn't worth the risk unless there's a massive outcry for it which we haven't seen.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Plus they have to establish a relationship with sentai which isn't happening unless they get a massive hit

Yes they will, and Hellsing Ultimate has done well in the ratings they even said so in the last tumblr Q&A I know you were banned at the time but the quote was something like "Black Lagoon made us hesitant but Hellsing Ultimate has done very well and has us wanting to get darker shows" and this was when it aired from 3-4 am. Combine that with today's AMA and a show like AgK would fit perfectly in the block. SAO did very well on the block as a new property and honestly it's rape scene was pretty intense and while stuff in AgK that is implied is a lot darker, we never actually see much of this and there is a good chance the anime will even further blur that and make it completely off screen.

They've already said Hellsing is doing well in the last tumblr Q&A, but yes I think AgK art style naturally is more appealing to the Toonami audience.

Crocodile

How much would it cost to acquire? I don't think either of us can answer that question. It's clear due to fan outcry that Toonami is going to go after edgier stuff more proactively than in the past. If the show is available and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I don't see why Toonami wouldn't go for it.

How do they not look like 'traditional' anime? Because there aren't swords? AgK probably won't come and if it does, it won't be for a while. I don't know the budget but it's limited and we know they've got movies to license, just splurged on DBZ, and are working on intruder 2. Usually the content picked up after the long running shonen is a little older to save money, I'm guessing AgK isn't worth the risk unless there's a massive outcry for it which we haven't seen.

Just my 2 cents.

They just said their budget is reset in January and considering how far they were able to make their small budget for this year go with all the shows and films they've picked up I wouldn't worry about that. Heck they've just said they're gonna be able to reair AoT FOR FREE which should give them quiet a bit of extra revenue to play with. Besides they picked up SAO which also had it's fair share of racy scenes like the straight up torture/rape scene. Also if Crunchy Roll is anything to go by AgK is damn near as popular as SAO S2, both are in their top 5 most popular shows along with Shippuden, One Piece, and Fairy Tail <_<

How much would it cost to acquire? I don't think either of us can answer that question. It's clear due to fan outcry that Toonami is going to go after edgier stuff more proactively than in the past. If the show is available and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I don't see why Toonami wouldn't go for it.

People said 'you don't know the budget' when I said Kill la Kill wasn't coming because it would be too expensive to air before the Momocon conference. I don't know exactly how much money DeMarco has to play around with but looking at this logically, I bet a new property is more expensive to license than an old one. Why would you pay a premium for something that won't air until 2 or 2:30AM unless it's gonna be an obvious hit like Sword Art Online? Why don't we take into account the money they had to spend to acquire Attack on Titan and DBZ Kai? Intruder 2 is an expensive project people forget about. Heck, DeMarco just said they're going to rerun Bleach and I'm guessing part of the reason is because they don't have the cash to go out and get something else at this time.

All I can do is speculate but yeah, I don't think AGKs chances are high.

Toonami aired Blue Exorcist, Black Lagoon, and Soul Eater none of which are anywhere near as popular as AgK or KlK. I'd say for the average Toonami viewer all three were completely new shows none of them had heard of until they aired on the block. Clearly the budget was worth it to take a risk on these shows, why would you not take a risk on shows that are more popular?

Toonami aired Blue Exorcist, Black Lagoon, and Soul Eater none of which are anywhere near as popular as AgK or KlK. I'd say for the average Toonami viewer all three were completely new shows none of them had heard of until they aired on the block. Clearly the budget was worth it to take a risk on these shows, why would you not take a risk on shows that are more popular?

You know all three of those weren't brand new properties and had been available on other services, right? How do you know they weren't as popular as Akame Ga Kill? Do you have evidence like manga or merch sales to compare or are you just guessing? I'd argue that the average toonami viewer who stays up late on Saturday nights to watch anime is pretty well informed and knew about those shows before they hit; this isn't a block that lends itself well to casual viewership. I already explained that these shows were older and therefore most likely less expensive to license than AgK will be through Sentai. I also already pointed out that Black Lagoon, a 'mature' show, tanked in the ratings.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

gxeVCUz.gif

Crocodile

People said 'you don't know the budget' when I said Kill la Kill wasn't coming because it would be too expensive to air before the Momocon conference. I don't know exactly how much money DeMarco has to play around with but looking at this logically, I bet a new property is more expensive to license than an old one. Why would you pay a premium for something that won't air until 2 or 2:30AM unless it's gonna be an obvious hit like Sword Art Online? Why don't we take into account the money they had to spend to acquire Attack on Titan and DBZ Kai? Intruder 2 is an expensive project people forget about. Heck, DeMarco just said they're going to rerun Bleach and I'm guessing part of the reason is because they don't have the cash to go out and get something else at this time.

All I can do is speculate but yeah, I don't think AGKs chances are high.

Well cost is obviously going to be a big mitigating factor that's for sure and we can only guess but I think it's in Toonami's interest to acquire recent shows and not just stuff that's X years old or already played on other services. Money is probably tight right now but we are talking 1-2 years into the future. Also, Akame ga Kill isn't as popular as something like SAO or AoT so I'd imagine it would be much cheaper to acquire. It's an action show that is edgy but has nothing (so far in the anime) that would be problematic to show on Toonami. If it's available and not out of budget it seems like it hits all the Toonami marks (remember, quality isn't a prime factor :p).

Regiruler

Odd idea: what if Yugioh Arc-V uncensored became a toonami long runner?

Vortexx is dead so they have to do something else with the show, and stream-only doesn't seem right. The original series and GX have a history on the block, so it wouldn't be out of place to have it on.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
guys

back half toonamibros

best big o s2 episode this week

yeaaaa

Nothing more fun than hyping stuff, especially in the back half.

One Piece is unmissable this week.

EDIT: The Greatest Villain feels like it should be later in the series.

Is there an Inuyasha summary out there I can read/watch instead of having to watch the entire series in time for Final Act. All I remember was they were looking for Jewel Shards and Naraku was Aizen before Aizen was Aizen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is there an Inuyasha summary out there I can read/watch instead of having to watch the entire series in time for Final Act. All I remember was they were looking for Jewel Shards and Naraku was Aizen before Aizen was Aizen.

Read the wikipedia article on Inuyasha, making sure its the anime and not the manga page. It doesn't include anything from final act in there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Inuyasha_episodes

Should take about ten minutes to skim through.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In fact if you're still doing the whole what's next on TOONAMI thing each week I want you to promise me, as NAKAMA to NAKAMA, to NOT list the episode title of 310 when it comes up.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
No, I'm talking about 310. Specifically the last...two minutes or so.

Next week's is top five.

310 isn't even as good as 309 OR 312. That's a ridiculously high bar, though (and the end of the episode is amazing).

In fact if you're still doing the whole what's next on TOONAMI thing each week I want you to promise me, as NAKAMA to NAKAMA, to NOT list the episode title of 310 when it comes up.
No dice. I'll even post the episode title for episode 483 when that comes up if we're all still alive.

Feeehhhfehfehfeh

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You gotta wear that headband not title that episode! I thought we were true NAKAMA, a level ascended from mere internet acquaintances!

Ha-have I missed something?

Good chance SAO s2 will air after what replaces GL ends, and we have no idea how long they'll rerun Bleach. If uncut Naruto is an indicator of anything we could see 30-50 episodes which would be more then enough time for SAO s2 to start with Bleach still on the block.

You're tempting fate with comments like "at least Bleach reruns won't air with SAO s2

Rutger

Banned
310 isn't even as good as 309 OR 312. That's a ridiculously high bar, though (and the end of the episode is amazing).

No dice. I'll even post the episode title for episode 483 when that comes up if we're all still alive.

Feeehhhfehfehfeh

I gotta look up these episode titles.
310 isn't too bad. Now, what's 483...

You Monster!
No, wait, why would Toei even name the episode that?
Those Monsters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom